Anyone else get PC paranoia???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

turkdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 turkdaddy
Member since 2005 • 267 Posts

I built a pc about 6 months or so back and havent had any problems. However for some reason I feel like its just gonna break one of these days. I am extremely nervous about it because if it happens I dunno wtf I would do. Mainly I am nervous because I have a GTX 580 overclocked(minor) and a 2500k at 4.3 all running on a 630W rosewill PSU. Now it has been running like a champ so far but ya never know. Anyone else get these fears? and if there is anyway to know if a component is crapping out let me know! lol im bored.

Oh and of course I am scared I installed the motherboard wrong or something and its gonna crap out ahhhhhh! Because in my opinion it was the most nerve racking part of building the pc.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Quit overclocking and leave it alone then. The PCs in my sig have been purring like a couple of contented kitties. I don't even give a thought on whether one of them will fail or not.

rlc-madcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rlc-madcat
Member since 2004 • 192 Posts

In a word.. No. But seriously dude if it's running fine then don't worry. Less coffee I think eh? :D

valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts

The most nerve-wrecking part for me was fastening my gigantic CPU cooler, I was sweating out of fear from breaking my Motherboard due to the pressure I needed in order to get it right lol. Luckily it went well, which is more often than not the case. However it is only healthy to be careful, not to careful though... I've never had paranoia after my rig was completed, I was just surprised I could manage on my own, and that gave me confidence to solve computer related problems on my own as well.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Nope, you just gotta relax, things only seem bad when you make it that way.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Nah. Things can go wrong, of course.. but statistically PC components are pretty reliable. If the PSU you have is the one I'm thinking of (Rosewill Green series with the 50-amp 12-volt rail), you should have plenty of stable power. As long as it's running smoothly, your temperatures are good, and it's not making any really bad noises or smells, I wouldn't worry. I've built quite a few custom PCs with parts from various manufacturers, and the only issues I had were early in my building days when I didn't know how to properly ventilate my case or select a PSU with enough beef. In your case (no pun intended), you should be fine.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Well this is why warranty exist anyway. All the parts suppose to work for years to come and most importantly last beyond the warranty dates. 1-3yr blah replacement, so theres nothing to worry about.

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

Not to de-rail this thread but: I wish I could say the same thing for hard disk reliability. HDs are so crap these days. I have 2 seagate HDs. 40GB from 2001 and a 500GB from 2007. The 500GB started showing bad SMART errors after 5 years. The 40GB? Absolutely nothing after 10 years in operation.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
That's a big reason I upgraded my xclio 500w PSU to a corsair hx750, I didn't trust the xclio to hold up with OCing for a crap. Not to say I haven't come to rely on the xclio it keeps my q6600 system stable at 3.0 now that my corsair psu is in a new rig. But the machines I've built for others and myself have lasted so far many years, only issues coming from software which I'm sure isn't too uncommon (like having to re-install windows after awhile). My CPU cooler is massive so it touches my ram even after raising the fans on the heatsink...that's more an annoyance than paranoia. I tend to get nervous when I OC my CPU but that's only because I like to push it :) hoping to get my current one up to 4.6-4.8 in the next 2 months. My next goal is to build my own external watercooling setup for all the stuff inside. I was lazy and had my vista installation on an old Maxtor 80gb pata hdd (originally bought the hdd for my xbox 1 media center but used a 320 instead) even though I had a WDD caviar black...was always paranoid the maxtor would crash because I heard bad things about the brands reliability, but it still cranks out terrible performance to this day as a music back up drive.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

1) You have OCD

2) Yes all your parts are going to break especially if you overclock them

(//_-)

Avatar image for deactivated-60e799a72eb68
deactivated-60e799a72eb68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-60e799a72eb68
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts

I've done my fair share of worrying.

I'm more worried that my 360 will clock out though. At least I can live with the comfort that I built my own pc with premium parts.

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts

never ad it gonna die or explode even when i tried to oc my cpu to 4.7Ghz and for some odd reason it just did me BSOD every-time i tried to run Youtube and some application but was STABLE FOR A WHOLE 1 hour on PRiME 95 / Lynx so i was like damn it.. revert to 4.5Ghz : never ad issue since

But When my Old thermaltake PSU DID START TO RATTLE with a noise that it hitting it own METAL chasis I sure got Scared the hell out that it gonna blow with a Huge Explosion of or Catch on fire after did a Big Circuit Break of all my component : but nothing like that did happen just a fan replacement that also didn't fix now a coil wine noise

Im sure this CPU will last long till motherboard break on me and make me RMA it lol that scare me or video card that stop to render Graphic properly for the 3rd video card i ever seen do that as me the ownership which made me RMA 2 of them

only thing im paranoid about nowday are weak psu like Dynex/Raidmax / Rocketfish and Video card like ATI HD4xxx i ad my share of problem fixing it for my self / friend despite i know it can work fine when you tweak around it a bit or RMA IT

so like other said you just making it worst lol nothing to be afraid

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Hmmm... to be honest you have a £350 GPU and £160 CPU and a £40 PSU. It may do the job but I would feel like a complete... you know.

andyroo08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 andyroo08
Member since 2004 • 2082 Posts

That's not being paranoid, I believe my PC is trying to kill me in my sleep :shock:

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hartsickdiscipl

Hmmm... to be honest you have a £350 GPU and £160 CPU and a £40 PSU. It may do the job but I would feel like a complete... you know.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

The price of the PSU isn't everything. There are some PSUs on the market right now that are branded and priced differently, but are identical to each other, or close to it. If you look up reviews of PSUs you will sometimes find out little secrets like that, and can save yourself some money. If I'm not mistaken the Rosewill Green series from 1-2 years ago were rebranded Seasonics with a different paint job. The insides of those things are actually pretty beefy, and they feel it when you pick them up. I bought one for $59.99 awhile back, used it in my main gaming rig with an OC'd X4 955 and a 5870, and never had an issue with it. I got an Antec 650 watt for basically nothing, so swapped that into my rig and used the 630 in a different build. It's still cranking to this day.

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

I understand what you are saying, but I only typically feel that way after doing a new build or changing some hardware.

This machine has been running for a year with an overclocked CPU and GPU, I keep an eye on the temps every once in a while and I blow out the PC to get the dust out every couple months but no major concerns anymore. Honestly if it's been 6 months and you haven't had any issues I would sleep pretty sound, it's not going to just bust on you.

Mewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Mewi
Member since 2006 • 386 Posts

Only things I get paranoid about are network activity and upload drive activity :P

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
People really underestimate how resilient PC parts actually are. While there are chances of something very small going wrong and screwing up your whole system, the chances of it happening are so small its a freak occurrence. Hell, My computer should have been dead years ago with all the abuse it goes through
fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2387 Posts

If it's been working fine for 6 months then you're good. If a component goes out then it goes out. Since you've built it yourself then you'll know how to replace it.

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

I thought this thread was going to be about one's browsing history... :P

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hartsickdiscipl

I thought this thread was going to be about one's browsing history... :P

entropyecho

It could be :shock:

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts
Open up a console, look at the crap components they use (crappiest of the worst quality) and you'll feel more confident about your rig!
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hartsickdiscipl

Open up a console, look at the crap components they use (crappiest of the worst quality) and you'll feel more confident about your rig!demi0227_basic

This is so true. My roommate was working on his Xbox 360 a few weeks ago, and I couldn't believe how horribly it was built internally.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I feel paranoid all the time. It was only a few days ago my sound card (Asus xonar dg) went kapoot. I checked it by putting it in one of my friend's pc. It's dead. I overclocked my CPU and it's still running a little over stock settings. I always wonder if I should reapply new thermal paste to my CPU and heatsink. I've had a western digital hard drive fail on me after 3 months (bought it brand new). Then not so long after, I got a new replacement and it had bad sectors but I was able to chkdsk and save it. With my new build, no issues with hard drive SO FAR. As far as GPU's go, I've had good luck with them. Motherboad, ram, fans, PSU, all good as well. I try to distract myself by playing as many games as I can. That's why we're here.. but **** happens. Just make sure you put some extra money aside. Don't forget monitors...although they usually last long, dead pixels happen, and other crap. hehe
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

The most nerve-wrecking part for me was fastening my gigantic CPU cooler, I was sweating out of fear from breaking my Motherboard due to the pressure I needed in order to get it right lol. Luckily it went well, which is more often than not the case. However it is only healthy to be careful, not to careful though... I've never had paranoia after my rig was completed, I was just surprised I could manage on my own, and that gave me confidence to solve computer related problems on my own as well.

valium88
The Tuniq Tower was like that. Once that faceplate was placed on the Motherboard (underneath it), that thing wasn't coming off. Worse than elephant glue x 10. THe installation was a little rough, it required a perfect clamp and twist of the screw springs. Insane.
Avatar image for Fletcher_Hawkes
Fletcher_Hawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Fletcher_Hawkes
Member since 2006 • 484 Posts

I built a pc about 6 months or so back and havent had any problems. However for some reason I feel like its just gonna break one of these days. I am extremely nervous about it because if it happens I dunno wtf I would do. Mainly I am nervous because I have a GTX 580 overclocked(minor) and a 2500k at 4.3 all running on a 630W rosewill PSU. Now it has been running like a champ so far but ya never know. Anyone else get these fears? and if there is anyway to know if a component is crapping out let me know! lol im bored.

Oh and of course I am scared I installed the motherboard wrong or something and its gonna crap out ahhhhhh! Because in my opinion it was the most nerve racking part of building the pc.

turkdaddy

If it's running fine, don't worry about it. And if it does break down at some point, you did say you built it so it really shouldnt be much a problem to replace a component or two