Anyone else feel like these co-Xbox/PS3/PC games are ruining PC gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The__MCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 The__MCP
Member since 2007 • 757 Posts

Some games can make it as a cross-platform game on consoles and PC and not lose much. And to be fair, I'm not always talking about the PC losing out because there are some types of games that I will never play the PC version. (The upcoming Prince of Persia would be an example.)

Some examples I see are:

• small online servers or maps for shooters (COD4)
  • no mod support when the company has a recent history of doing as much (Fallout 3)
  • disappointing streamlined sequels to PC classics (Deus Ex 2)
  • leaving the best new features for the consoles (EA Sports)

I know this is the future of gaming, and there is still a large and exciting market for small PC developers, but I think I'm going to miss walking into a store to find a PC gaming section that is larger and vastly different than the console section. :(

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts
I kinda feel you. Crysis was pretty fun, but I haven't played a "wow" pc exclusive in a while. The PC games I've gotten in the past six months are all on consoles as well. I just like the better graphix from my pc. (I have Gears, Assasin's Creed, UT3, Dead Space, and Far Cry 2)
Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts
You arent finding the proper good pc games to play :P
nevereathim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 nevereathim
Member since 2006 • 2161 Posts

Some games can make it as a cross-platform game on consoles and PC and not lose much. And to be fair, I'm not always talking about the PC losing out because there are some types of games that I will never play the PC version. (The upcoming Prince of Persia would be an example.)

Some examples I see are:

• small online servers or maps for shooters (COD4)
  • no mod support when the company has a recent history of doing as much (Fallout 3)
  • disappointing streamlined sequels to PC classics (Deus Ex 2)

I know this is the future of gaming, and there is still a large and exciting market for small PC developers, but I think I'm going to miss walking into a store to find a PC gaming section that is larger and vastly different than the console section. :(

The__MCP

I remember you, you're a troll...so I won't encourage you

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

In regard to the no mod support for Fallout 3, they still want to add it, just couldn't fit it in at launch:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/29/pax-2008-todd-howard-talks-fallout-3-mods-and-console-power/

thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#6 thenewau25
Member since 2007 • 2058 Posts

well id say some games like haze or fracture will have better luck if they wer also availble on pc, you cant find many good pc games, and i hope some games like eg battlefield bad company to come out on pc

about pc losing out compared to console resident evil 4 not even mouse support,

about deux ex yes they wreck invisivle war thanks to console crap

some games are not meant on pc like gears of war

finnaly the new prince of persia? why so cartoonish? they say they use next generation graphics not cell shaded

succulent_toes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 succulent_toes
Member since 2008 • 680 Posts
I want to say yes as a PC game elitist *stands tall and shines brightly just for a moment*, but with Dead Space being absolutely fantastic, I really can't complain. There have been several bad ports that make me want to strangle some of these devs, but thus far it's premature to say that the trend towards multiplatform games are ruining gaming for us.
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

They're not "ruining PC gaming"; they're ruining series that would have been great if given more development time and less newb-friendliness. PC gaming itself is still very obviously going strong.

You arent finding the proper good pc games to play :PDr_Brocoli

Exactly.

jmnderson69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jmnderson69
Member since 2008 • 1236 Posts
Nothing wrong with Gears on PC, just as fun as its 360 counterpart.
thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thenewau25

Nothing wrong with Gears on PC, just as fun as its 360 counterpart.jmnderson69

pc users dissagree a lot

jmnderson69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jmnderson69
Oh well i couldnt care less, i enjoy it. If they are being all girly just because it was on 360 first then they need to stop being stupid and get off their high horse.
succulent_toes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 succulent_toes
Member since 2008 • 680 Posts

[QUOTE="jmnderson69"]Nothing wrong with Gears on PC, just as fun as its 360 counterpart.thenewau25

pc users dissagree a lot

i don't disagree that it's the same (if not better) on the PC as it is on the 360. But I do disagree on it being fun.

thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thenewau25
[QUOTE="thenewau25"]

[QUOTE="jmnderson69"]Nothing wrong with Gears on PC, just as fun as its 360 counterpart.succulent_toes

pc users dissagree a lot

i don't disagree that it's the same (if not better) on the PC as it is on the 360. But I do disagree on it being fun.

exactly the whole idea on gears where the crazy graphics and being fun thanks to control of the x360 which is not available in pc and feels diffirent, also many pc users bash it , the designers said we wont release gears 2 on pc, NEVER, epic sailing failure id say!

jmnderson69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jmnderson69

360 pad on pc whilst playing gears makes your point about 360 control being superior invalid

Hows that for zero punctuation?

thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thenewau25

Oh well i couldnt care less, i enjoy it. If they are being all girly just because it was on 360 first then they need to stop being stupid and get off their high horse.jmnderson69

actually it was great on x360 but in pc? it was not worse its just that conrtol made the game great on x360 but in pc its diffirent, the graphics were no longer that amazing, and some kinda paranoia hit the pc users of all action games being totally non liner, and having psychics gears doesnt provide that, pc has diffirent aspects in gaming!

jmnderson69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jmnderson69
Refer to my last post in regards to control.
thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thenewau25

Refer to my last post in regards to control.jmnderson69

still why you think users who play on pc willl use a pad now refer to my previous post, ohh yeah pc users like more non linear games, am not too much in that but iv seen people who rate crysis for its replay value and freedom with 10 and gears of war with a 4 or 5 so i guess they dont like gears of war they call it awful, ever heard of someone called antisocial fatman? he is a user in youtube and he says is a terrible game, well gears is a 7 in my book and am not a cryis fan either!

jmnderson69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jmnderson69
Maybe some people like to use a pad on racers and games like Gears...I use a keyboard on FPS and RTS, you play racers with a keyboard?
Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

[QUOTE="jmnderson69"]Oh well i couldnt care less, i enjoy it. If they are being all girly just because it was on 360 first then they need to stop being stupid and get off their high horse.thenewau25

actually it was great on x360 but in pc? it was not worse its just that conrtol made the game great on x360 but in pc its diffirent, the graphics were no longer that amazing, and some kinda paranoia hit the pc users of all action games being totally non liner, and having psychics gears doesnt provide that, pc has diffirent aspects in gaming!

how is an xbox360 controller on pc different than on a xbox 360

Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Captain__Tripps

Maybe some people like to use a pad on racers and games liek Gears...I use a keyboard on FPs and RTS, you seriously play racers with a keyboard?jmnderson69

Trackmania... yes :)

thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thenewau25
[QUOTE="thenewau25"]

[QUOTE="jmnderson69"]Oh well i couldnt care less, i enjoy it. If they are being all girly just because it was on 360 first then they need to stop being stupid and get off their high horse.Captain__Tripps

how is an xbox360 controller on pc different than on a xbox 360

it is if its not A quality you can even set mouse and keyboard in x360 but its not as god as pc, but thats not the point whas that am saying that gears of war was enjoyable thanks to x360 control but what user will pick the game ( gears of war) to play it in his pc when he never played gears of war on x360, so he is gonna use the mouse and keyboard as a pc user, but its not fun that way, at least thats what most people say, it was fun on x360!

jmnderson69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jmnderson69
I played Gears with the keyboard just to try it and it really wasnt that unenjoyable...pad was miles better but still.
thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thenewau25

I played Gears with the keyboard just to try it and it really wasnt that unenjoyable...pad was miles better but still.jmnderson69

exactly what i just said my friend but someone who never played it in x360 will buy it and play it on pc with keyboard, big mistake!

jmnderson69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jmnderson69

[QUOTE="jmnderson69"]I played Gears with the keyboard just to try it and it really wasnt that unenjoyable...pad was miles better but still.thenewau25

exactly what i just said my friend but someone who never played it in x360 will buy it and play it on pc with keyboard, big mistake!

If you said what i just said, then why did you just say that the keyboard is a big mistake? Oxymoron much?

nicknees93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 nicknees93
Member since 2005 • 3250 Posts

In regard to the no mod support for Fallout 3, they still want to add it, just couldn't fit it in at launch:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/29/pax-2008-todd-howard-talks-fallout-3-mods-and-console-power/

zomglolcats
exactly. if you wait more than two days after release i'm sure they will come out with mod tools.
zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts
Some are good, some suck. I wouldn't say all cross-plat games are ruining PC gaming. Fallout 3 for example looks much better on PC than either 360 or PS3, and to me feels like a PC game. As long as they continue to make graphics scalable on the PC versions, I'm happy with that. A good game is a good game, and a bad one is just bad.
Huskerz09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Huskerz09
Member since 2006 • 148 Posts

Some are good, some suck. I wouldn't say all cross-plat games are ruining PC gaming. Fallout 3 for example looks much better on PC than either 360 or PS3, and to me feels like a PC game. As long as they continue to make graphics scalable on the PC versions, I'm happy with that. A good game is a good game, and a bad one is just bad.zaphod_b

Amen to that :)

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts
[QUOTE="zomglolcats"]

nicknees93

exactly. if you wait more than two days after release i'm sure they will come out with mod tools.

2 days have passed and as yet no mod tool has been confirmed. all this "we want to but we can't" is just corporate talk that means nothing.

G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts

The__MCP

Big budget games are becoming increasingly more expensive to make, so naturally companies want to make as much profit as they can off of each game. By releasing it on multiple systems, they're giving it to a larger audience and hence a higher chance of more copies sold.

It's happening to all of the systems, not just PC.

But that being said, PC is still one of the indy platforms of choice, so we'll still see a lot of exclusive games come out, just not necessarily the big budget ones.

Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Captain__Tripps
[QUOTE="nicknees93"][QUOTE="zomglolcats"]

Jinroh_basic

2 days have passed and as yet no mod tool has been confirmed. all this "we want to but we can't" is just corporate talk that means nothing.

They didn't say they can't. They say they want to, but won't commit one way or another. It will be more than a few days, but there probably will be one within 6 months.

Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts

The__MCP

Yeah EA Sports has made me feel like a trailer park wife for the last two years.

wood_duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wood_duck
Member since 2007 • 990 Posts

[QUOTE="jmnderson69"]Maybe some people like to use a pad on racers and games liek Gears...I use a keyboard on FPs and RTS, you seriously play racers with a keyboard?Captain__Tripps

Trackmania... yes :)

Oh hell yes, amazing game.

Jetpil0t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jetpil0t
Member since 2008 • 27 Posts

I understand where you are coming from but with things like Starcraft 2, Diablo3 and Crysis and even Rage its clear there are still developers working on AAA PC titles. I dont think we have anything to worry about.

Even if these games move over to console or are being co-developed on consoles like Rage, I dont think these sorts of titles will ever fall fate to console portage problems.

Depends on developers though, you know places like Id and Blizzard are in for the long haul. Ubisoft of the other hand, clearly has a wider perspective and may not focus too much on PC polish, which is a bit of a shame even though its not always the case.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I can say that the pc is still getting the best deal on most games. Normally they are cheaper and have better graphics (if you have a rig that run them well.

Here is an example of the difference between the 360 version of C&C3 Kanes Wrath.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=O6U5alioaoM

And here is the pc version.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M6v233NcP5s

Notice the small white bar in the bottom left of screen, next the green power metre, thats a build limiter.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
This topic would be more appropriate for System Wars. Thanks.