Any one else think we reached our limit on graphics?

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GOOCHIE247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GOOCHIE247
Member since 2003 • 196 Posts

After looking at crysis2 screenshots i dont see in the next year and up of graphics really geting better then that i know a lot of small details could get improved but unless the whole 3D glasses catch on i just cant see it geting higher then we are now.

Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts

I highly doubt it. The reason Crysis 2 didn't look so hot was probably because you were looking at console screens, or because Crytek downgraded the PC version since the game is multiplat. It definitely doesn't mean there won't be nicer looking games in the future.

LiftedHeadshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LiftedHeadshot
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts
I think Crysis 2 will be the limit for consoles until the next-gen. PC is a whole other story.
BlackMinistrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 BlackMinistrel
Member since 2010 • 34 Posts
I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing anything major in the whole gaming industry in the upcoming years, but only small improvements. Step. By. Step.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Graphics will never reach their limit until we achieve photorealism. What you noticed is in other words "because of consoles graphics advance one generation at a time, not continuously".
mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

Nope....

Blame consoles. :P

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
Limit? For today's standards only.
anolecrabcf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 anolecrabcf
Member since 2005 • 658 Posts
Nah just wait for Rage and it's crazy texture technique
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
There is no limit to PC graphics, since we constantly get new technology. Consoles have however. Those Crysis 2 pics are for consoles.
ttam01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#10 ttam01
Member since 2008 • 427 Posts

After looking at crysis2 screenshots i dont see in the next year and up of graphics really geting better then that i know a lot of small details could get improved but unless the whole 3D glasses catch on i just cant see it geting higher then we are now.

GOOCHIE247

About the 1800's someone said "everything that will be invented has been invented."

somegtalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 somegtalover
Member since 2007 • 2700 Posts

Nah, it will go to realism someday, next gen or next next gen will probably look somewhat like Avatar that movie

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Graphics will never reach their limit until we achieve photorealism. DanielDust

There's no limit... Photorealism is only a small milestone. We're already very close to it.

Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

Technical limits I probably don't think so, I think the limits for graphics are probably financial and time limits. It takes a lot of time and money to make these fancy smancy graphics we all coo after. Unfortunately the price tag of games can only support graphics up to a certain level so until they either a) find a way to do it cheaper or b) we accept higher prices I don't think there will be too much or a revolution in graphics even when the next lot of consoles hit.

BrickMcStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BrickMcStick
Member since 2010 • 103 Posts

PC's nope, current gen consoles, yep. People will continue to make small leaps in graphics and although it may not be as major as Crysis 2 will be (pc version not console) we will continue to get better and better.

benbond332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 benbond332
Member since 2003 • 68 Posts
We haven't reached the limit on anything tbh :P That said I do think that maybe less focus should be placed on improving graphics, and more on things like....interaction with the environment, and scale. I'd really REALLY prefer to see 100-1000 aliens rushing towards me with parts of the building I'm in collapsing than able to see a pore on inner ear of the character in front of me :P
MEOWWW123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MEOWWW123
Member since 2008 • 870 Posts

Hopefully we will have the stuff from the move Gamer soon :D

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]Graphics will never reach their limit until we achieve photorealism. Baranga

There's no limit... Photorealism is only a small milestone. We're already very close to it.

Extremely far from it, not even those farms used to make CGI for movies can't achieve it yet, true, they are very close to it, but not PCs, not our desktops, it will take quite some time for a single GPU to be able to provide us with such quality. I'm not just talking about nice effects and extremely high res textures, but interactivity as well, physics taken to the unthinkable, and the real photorealism factor, the animations, extremely fluid, unscripted, unpredictable animations.

I personally do not care about photorealism, the static photorealism that has pretty lighting and high res textures, that's nothing compared to the "real" deal.

Hopefully we will have the stuff from the move Gamer soon :D

MEOWWW123

True :P when I saw those scenes with the HUD, I was like " What if @_@?".

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
I totally agree about that graphics are not gonna get much bettet from now on. But i want to see a pc screenshot for crysis 2 in order to judge. Stil i dont think it will differ that much from the console version. It will just look alot better but it wont put the consoles versions to shame.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

No way, crysis proved that if you played it on a decent pc and screen. Physics, textures, resolutions and all that stuff still have a long ways to go imo.

cheese1756

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cheese1756
Member since 2009 • 58 Posts

GOOCHIE247

Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. patent office, 1899, said that "Everything that can be invented has been invented."

In ten years, we will have graphics we could never have imagined. Just you wait.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dakan45

No way, crysis proved that if you played it on a decent pc and screen. Physics, textures, resolutions and all that stuff still have a long ways to go imo.

nooblet69
Yeah but thats crytek, the rest of the devs.... I wonder how good will crysis 2 look now with the console versions.
MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts
Consoles are the reason we are not like DX15 now. many devs are going multiplat therefore PC will get the same quality graphics as consoles.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

Consoles are the reason we are not like DX15 now. many devs are going multiplat therefore PC will get the same quality graphics as consoles.MrLions
Not all mutli-plats are the same quality. See Just Cause 2, Metro 2033, GTA IV, Batman AA, Far Cry 2, Crysis 2 (will be the best looking game ever)

I mean all games look better obviosly, resoluition and Anti-Aliasing are very important to the quality of the picture, but these games stand out.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dakan45
I still believe that the firs crysis game will look better than crysis 2, yes i am talking about the pc version. They got to do massive graphic improvements on the pc version in order to make it look better than the first judging by the recent console screenshots......"massive" improvements.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DanielDust
I still believe that the firs crysis game will look better than crysis 2, yes i am talking about the pc version. They got to do massive graphic improvements on the pc version in order to make it look better than the first judging by the recent console screenshots......"massive" improvements.dakan45
If it's anything like the tech demo on 360/PC/PS3, then those massive improvements will be there, lighting, textures, models, AA.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dakan45
[QUOTE="dakan45"]I still believe that the firs crysis game will look better than crysis 2, yes i am talking about the pc version. They got to do massive graphic improvements on the pc version in order to make it look better than the first judging by the recent console screenshots......"massive" improvements.DanielDust
If it's anything like the tech demo on 360/PC/PS3, then those massive improvements will be there, lighting, textures, models, AA.

Ehh, wasnt that tech demo for consoles only and everyone agreed that the original game looked better? Did they show a pc demo at some point?
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DanielDust
Nope, we're probably talking about different tech demos, I'm talking about the one that presented 360 capabilities, some PS3 and a few PC features.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dakan45

Nope, we're probably talking about different tech demos, I'm talking about the one that presented 360 capabilities, some PS3 and a few PC features.DanielDust
A the one that showed the square, i cant say i saw anything there, too dam blurry and low res, i just dont have that zooming capability.

I think it will be better to postpone this till we get more pc footage, this time not captured with a camera from a screen.

Frenzyd109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#30 Frenzyd109
Member since 2007 • 2276 Posts
The Crysis 2 screens look great, but are far from photo realism. Maybe in 15-20 years but not now
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

no look at avatars cgi games still have to reach that level there plenty of room for improvement in graphics.

UbiquitousAeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 UbiquitousAeon
Member since 2010 • 2099 Posts

Technically developers can already make games with pixar or dreamworks quality graphics, the problem is that there's no hardware that can handle that at the moment. The time will come though, I assure you.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Many of you are forgetting about GPU accelerated raytracing. That will be our limit because 3d renderings like those are essentially photo realistic.

for example take a look at Octane GPU acceleration. An image that originally would take 5+ miniutes to render one frame now renders instantly at 15fps average

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJbKh7bZFlo&feature=related

the following probably took 3 secs to render

Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts

Nope....

Blame consoles. :P

mkaliaz
As blunt as this sounds it is very true...we are no longer in a world where the top publishers will try to squeeze every last drop out of the latest and greatest PC hardware, they are going to develop their games with consoles' power in mind. It's just the way things are now, blockbusters on the PC are a dying breed :/
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#35 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
No way, there is still much improvement in graphic quality. Some day games will have detail quality the same as earlier movie graphics.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

One never knows: if developers start looking more closely at the 64-bit environment, you could be looking at the possibility of running a WRPG in 100% cinematic-quality graphics.

You definitely have a lot of room for expansion over the limitations of a 32-bit OS.

Capcom has already started it off with Devil May Cry 4, optimized for 64-bit and DX 10.

Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

Next stage i guess is 3dwill become more popular and have controllers like the wii on pc.

Avatar image for mouthforbathory
mouthforbathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 mouthforbathory
Member since 2006 • 2114 Posts

Once raytracing in realtime becomes commonplace, there will be plenty of room for improvement, especially with increases in monitor resolutions as monitor resolution has the effect of course on diminishing returns of the virtual illusion. It's important to consider other things now outside of purely graphics, but game world orchestration and physics. Smoke and lightly weighted particles should be effected by the wind, water should be interactive, at least in terms of the surface such as fast fourier transformation, and objects should break apart/tear/etc. It's going to take alot more than what we have now to really see these things in combination, but we can enjoy them individually in specific games.

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

We still need extremely high poly foliage with equally high resolution textures for said foliage.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#40 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

I highly doubt it. The reason Crysis 2 didn't look so hot was probably because you were looking at console screens, or because Crytek downgraded the PC version since the game is multiplat. It definitely doesn't mean there won't be nicer looking games in the future.

Mochyc

This. Consoles are the only thing holding back graphics technology, and honestly, hardware development hasn't slowed at all.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]Graphics will never reach their limit until we achieve photorealism. Baranga

I reckon games look BETTER than real photos..
Avatar image for Anarchist-TKC-1
Anarchist-TKC-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Anarchist-TKC-1
Member since 2004 • 303 Posts
As mentioned above, it's all based on technology. The only real limitation is realsim. We will reach a point where games look as real as the world we live in, but games can go that one further and generate any scenario with augmented effects. The next best thing for us would be true 3D immersion with Virtual Reality, motion gloves, hey even sensor padded vests to detect impact etc.
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

GOOCHIE247
technology always change and improves, once we'll reach top of graphics - the prices of GPUs will drop dramatecally
gashoe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#46 gashoe13
Member since 2007 • 511 Posts

For PC?

HECK NO.

I thought that about F.E.A.R 5 years ago.

How wrong was I?

People probably thought things couldn't get better after Doom 3. But, they did.

For PC, if a developer wasn't afraid of making a 32 GB game or else is eincreidbleh at compressing, the graphics can get WAAAAAAY better.

Crysis 2 looks nowhere near as good, as, say, REAL LIFE. If a game ever looks as good as real life.... That's about when we can safely say: Nope, it ain't gonna get any better.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dakan45
Actually, so far crysis 2 does not look even as good as the first. Lets see how it turns out .
[technology always change and improves, once we'll reach top of graphics - the prices of GPUs will drop dramatecally PredatorRules
I wonder when will that happen because nvidia has restocked way too many times and i am waiting for the price to drop so i can buy a better videocard, which suprising is not that much more powerfull from my current videocard. Ahh, technology evolves slowly if you ask me.
Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

Guaranteed not. Todays problems will be solved by tommorows technology. Which is why it is a truism that everything that has been invented is all that can be invented at the time.

Also consoles aren't the only thing holding back progression.There are all the people who resist change like the XP fans who won't give up the ship. Developers can't just charge ahead.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

GOOCHIE247

Not even close. When flight sims start looking like Crysis, maybe. But, not now.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

The limit is when we have real life graphics in game. In other words you could see a leaf on a tree far far away while its moving in the wind. With a real physic engine and so on... And yes its a while to go before we can generate a entire would... Climb up on a tree and have every leaf have its own "animation" in the wind.