Any good free MMO's out there?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

0_demo_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 0_demo_0
Member since 2008 • 284 Posts

Hey, yeah just looking for some suggestions for a free MMO other than lotro. Also, not looking for shooters. Thanks to all in advance. :)

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
you didnt say it, so im gonna suggest it: runescape lol.
masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts
no, they're not free, they cost more than p2p to enjoy and they have crappy graphics...
gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts
um knight online world was awesome when i used to play it, dungeons and dragons is free to play i believe?
gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts
no, they're not free, they cost more than p2p to enjoy and they have crappy graphics...masterdrat
You never played any of them have you?
ResMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#6 ResMagnus
Member since 2008 • 39 Posts

I think he means free games that have good graphics. How about 2Moons? I can't remember the website for it though.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
  • Good
  • Free
  • MMO

Pick 2.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

• Good
  • Free
  • MMO

Pick 2.

Wasdie

Darn you Wasdie, you beat me to it!

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

• Good
  • Free
  • MMO

Pick 2.

Wasdie

World of tanks picks all 3.:P

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
Champions Online was good. It's not technically an MMO though since everything is so heavily instanced.
masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts
[QUOTE="masterdrat"]no, they're not free, they cost more than p2p to enjoy and they have crappy graphics...gamer620

well if you're idea of a good and fun mmo is managing a 15 slot inventory filled with quest items... some have exceptions (vindictus = limited playtime) but all have something preventing you to really enjoy the game unless you spend more than you would do for a p2p game, and most have graphics 2 or 3 generations old at best (forsaken world, champ online, etc) best source is mmohut.com or Omer reviews from mmohut on youtube
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I heard lotr online was decent, but free and good don't come together

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
My mom is always on that farmville stuff on facebook.... you can play that, I guess.
gt350tsc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gt350tsc
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts
So far Champions Online seems pretty good but my highest is level 9. I love the character customization. although I'm just playing it until I get the money to go and pick dc universe online.
-Shooter-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -Shooter-
Member since 2006 • 4295 Posts

Most free MMO's I've seen are free to play, but also pay to win. It's tough finding a good MMO where you can do well compared to those who pay for premium items... One game that I think implements the premium (real money stuff) well is League of Legends, but it's not a MMO :(

Slayerduckie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Slayerduckie
Member since 2008 • 281 Posts

Most decent MMOs have spawned free to play private servers, while its hard to find decent private servers, there are some that are stable and sometimes with modifications to the gameplay that make it much better than the retail servers. Lineage 2 is infamous for the private servers but games like WoW and Aion also have a ton.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Most decent MMOs have spawned free to play private servers, while its hard to find decent private servers, there are some that are stable and sometimes with modifications to the gameplay that make it much better than the retail servers. Lineage 2 is infamous for the private servers but games like WoW and Aion also have a ton.

Slayerduckie
Private servers for WoW and Aion are also against the ToS for those games, and can get your account banned if the respective Dev finds out about it.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
[QUOTE="Slayerduckie"]

kieranb2000
Private servers for WoW and Aion are also against the ToS for those games, and can get your account banned if the respective Dev finds out about it.

they aren't against TOS..you just can't charge people to play in a private server

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
[QUOTE="kieranb2000"][QUOTE="Slayerduckie"]

lawlessx

they aren't against TOS..you just can't charge people to play in a private server

You should go read the TOS. There is a section specifically about being not allowed to connect to or host a private server.
Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
Black Prophecy is a great free mmo!
skrillalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 skrillalover
Member since 2003 • 1348 Posts

while not technically free, Guild Wars is an awesome game. you only need to buy it once and you are good to go. you can find a single campaign for as little as 10 bucks or buy all 3 campaigns plus the expansion for 40 bucks at walmart.

i suggest you check it out. it is worlds better than any of the complete so-called free to play MMOs.

hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

Try In Por Ylem, it's a free shard for Ultima Online. It's by far the best Ultima Online shard and it's just as good as UO was back in the day.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

Anyone try Forsaken World? Just wondering since the advertisement for it is all over gamespot.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

• Good
  • Free
  • MMO

Pick 2.

lordreaven

Do you really believe that? I thought nobody would fall for marketing, when the game clearly is just a good game, not even free, and definitely not a MMO, you have to play day and night to afford to repair your tanks, get ammo and slowly advanced into the game. There's no doubt about it, if you don't live for this game and you're just playing it for fun, you'll have to buy gold, the beta isn't a free game, it's just a broken game on the way of being a final product. No such thing, even the unlimited trials that some high profile games have aren't great, at most you can call them fun, but free, free mmos are garbage and cost a lot more if you get into it (microtransactions), free mmos are just interesting, nothing more.
Deathykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Deathykins
Member since 2007 • 1412 Posts

Allods Online seems pretty good so far. I just started playing it, though, so I don't know what mid-end game will be like, but I enjoy it so far. It's obviously trying to clone WoW in many areas, from graphics to skill trees, to quests. But the graphics are a bit better, the quests seem better tied together, and it even did a good job integrating a decent story line into the game.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Pirates of the Burning Sea, Tibia and Dungeons and Dragons Online are all free to a decent extent. Out of these, I'd recommend Tibia first, then Pirates, at then at last DDO.

Edit: Tibia is such a great game really. It's not linear like many other games such as War, WoW, AoC, Rift, Allods etc... Player housing, having the ability to put things on the ground, No artificial quests like grinding 10 monsters here and there for some xp, free for all pvp, and one of the funniest games to explore in, you never know what you could encounter when you go down that hole. Unfortunately it feels as if the population is slowly decreasing, people just aren't willing to even try it out with this kind of graphic (which I by the way find charmy).

guitaroo88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 guitaroo88
Member since 2011 • 30 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

GoodFree MMO

Pick 2.

shakmaster13

Darn you Wasdie, you beat me to it!

LOL
lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

[QUOTE="lordreaven"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

• Good
  • Free
  • MMO

Pick 2.

DanielDust

Do you really believe that? I thought nobody would fall for marketing, when the game clearly is just a good game, not even free, and definitely not a MMO, you have to play day and night to afford to repair your tanks, get ammo and slowly advanced into the game. There's no doubt about it, if you don't live for this game and you're just playing it for fun, you'll have to buy gold, the beta isn't a free game, it's just a broken game on the way of being a final product. No such thing, even the unlimited trials that some high profile games have aren't great, at most you can call them fun, but free, free mmos are garbage and cost a lot more if you get into it (microtransactions), free mmos are just interesting, nothing more.

I though Micro-transaction games were technicly free games. Oh well, the game is fun. And you don't have to play hours on end to get enough money to repair your tank (mayeb at the higher levels it might cost more to repair your tank, but thats only like tier 9-10).

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DanielDust

I though Micro-transaction games were technicly free games. Oh well, the game is fun. And you don't have to play hours on end to get enough money to repair your tank (mayeb at the higher levels it might cost more to repair your tank, but thats only like tier 9-10).lordreaven
In the actual game, if you don't pay, you won't be able to play at tier 6-7 or after unless your idea of fun is to grind XP + gold with the first 2 tiers till you have enough to have another battle with your competitive tank.

Having microtransactions is one thing, needing to pay to advance in the game is another. WoT is an arena type game that will have its demo included in the final release, anything beyond that demo costs $. It would be worth investing if the game would actually perform well, but it doesn't, they need more servers for it, servers they can't afford unless they make playing this game free possible, to tone it down from selling your soul to play, to losing most of your day, otherwise they're going to lose almost all of their community ($). Beta was popular because it was free and different, few would care about a niche game like this.

Poison_1vy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Poison_1vy
Member since 2009 • 265 Posts

Global Agenda is now F2P. You can have all 3 things

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts
Vindictus is worth a shot. Relatively engaging gameplay. Definitely above par graphics. Some actual physics (really rare). No real advantages over looks for paying real money. Honestly, it is definitely the closest thing to a good free mmo. Some downsides are the dungeon system pretty much budgets your time for you, so if you really like to invest a lot of time into a game at once, you may be left screaming at this game for its system. In the same sense it rounds out the usual lots of high level problems, so there is always people leveling alts for you to run dungeons with. It is also instanced, which should be required for a game like this, but a lot of people hate that about this game and guildwars.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DanielDust

Poison_1vy
Good, where?
Poison_1vy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Poison_1vy
Member since 2009 • 265 Posts

[QUOTE="Poison_1vy"]

DanielDust

Good, where?

No set date but the devs said mid april

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#34 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Why has nobody mentioned Lord of the Rings online? I thought it was generally well liked here. I've never played it, but whenever this thread comes up, it's usually mentioned.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="Poison_1vy"] Good, where?Poison_1vy

No set date but the devs said mid april

That wasn't it, wrote it kinda confusing, I was asking where does good come into place in Global Agenda?

Never played it, but it had some of the worst reviews for a MMO and the gameplay vids looked pretty boring, what exciting things are there?

Why has nobody mentioned Lord of the Rings online? I thought it was generally well liked here. I've never played it, but whenever this thread comes up, it's usually mentioned.

cain006

Because most of us read the OP :P.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#37 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Because most of us read the OP :P.

DanielDust

Oh... I read it, just skipped that part on accident.

XxChicagoTedXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 XxChicagoTedXx
Member since 2009 • 407 Posts

I believe that EQ2 is free to play and I heard that they seperate the Pay to Play people from the F2P people with different servers or something. Anyway, I liked it when I played it so try that.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
  • Good
  • Free
  • MMO

Pick 2.

Wasdie
lol yea.
XxChicagoTedXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 XxChicagoTedXx
Member since 2009 • 407 Posts

• Good
  • Free
  • MMO

Pick 2.

Wasdie

I choose good and free.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DanielDust

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

• Good
  • Free
  • MMO

Pick 2.

XxChicagoTedXx

I choose good and free.

Quake Live, League of Legends, Trackmania Nations Forever, take your pick.
gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts
[QUOTE="gamer620"][QUOTE="masterdrat"]no, they're not free, they cost more than p2p to enjoy and they have crappy graphics...masterdrat

well if you're idea of a good and fun mmo is managing a 15 slot inventory filled with quest items... some have exceptions (vindictus = limited playtime) but all have something preventing you to really enjoy the game unless you spend more than you would do for a p2p game, and most have graphics 2 or 3 generations old at best (forsaken world, champ online, etc) best source is mmohut.com or Omer reviews from mmohut on youtube

My point is that I've managed to find dozens of hours of enjoyment out of several F2P mmos(including Perfect World (which i played since the original beta, not international), Runes of Magic, LOTRO and Forsaken World to name a few) in the past few years without spending a single dime. I had multiple level 50s on perfect world (a game which requires heavy grinding no less), multiple level 30s on Runes, i have a level 20 on LOTRO and 2 level 20+s on FW. Once again NEVER SPENT A DIME. Perfect World and Runes I have easily put in 300 hours at least between the two. They aren't great games by any stretch but when I am bored, looking for something new to play and seeking a quick MMO fix, its hard to pass them up, especially when i can get as much play time out of them as I have. I usually reach a point where I just don't give a damn about the game any more and don't feel cheated since I didn't waste any money on it outside of my cable bill.
Schtiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Schtiel
Member since 2007 • 244 Posts

Has anybody mentioned Runes of Magic ? It plays like Wow (which might be a good or bad thing) or DnD online (you have to pay once for some content, but no subscription fees).

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#44 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
Although its not a MMO, i find myself unable to tear myself away from League of Legends recently. Should definitely check it out.
Je3vez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Je3vez
Member since 2011 • 104 Posts
its sort of ftp, Guild Wars. There are no mothly fees but you have to buy a copy (but you can get them very cheap now). I recommend it very good game