Any e-Sports or professional gaming fans here?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

acjourney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 acjourney
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
So I've recently really gotten into watching e-Sports and professional gaming tournaments like MLG recently. I really enjoy watching really high level Starcraft and finding replays and watching tournaments have given me so much entertainment the last several months. Is anyone else here an e-Sports fan?
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
I'm one myself, I'm hoping to see more PC gaming on the MLG pro circuit soon, not just for strategy games though. I miss Shadowrun.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Yeah, for quake live. Every other e-sport sucks.

Define: suck

RTS

Fighting

any fps that is not super fast paced.

darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
I'm real big into it. SC2 wise
kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
Quake Live here (among the other Quake titles). Quake's pretty much dead on the international scene, but I pray it will see some sort of revival. I'm an aspiring dueller myself.
Kevz0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kevz0
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts

I watch a lot of SC 2 and QL replays.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
I follow SC 2 and Trackmania from time to time, especially SC2, I find watching pros play way more interesting than me playing.
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts

i watch it from time to game its pretty interesting.

im gonna go check out some quake live pro games right now because of this thread

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JigglyWiggly_

i watch it from time to game its pretty interesting.

im gonna go check out some quake live pro games right now because of this thread

SaintJimmmy
Why do that? Just watch my videos :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpt3cmgnMM4 for a quickie Or for a full match of me playin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNzTgs3GAyo
QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

Really into it, especially for SC2. I lurk TeamLiquid.net everyday, watching player streams, etc. Really, if your playing SC2, you will be watching the pro scene, as every build and strategy and change in the metagame happens there, so if you want to be at least mediocre in the game you want to know how each matchup is suppossed to be played.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

I love watching tournaments, but only for fighting games. Haven't really found much interest in anything else, tbh. Watching Mortal Kombat tournaments is what got me into the scene, but I started enjoying Street Fighter pretty quickly. Pretty late to the party for SF4, but I plan to be playing a lot of SF x Tekken.

I spent pretty much all Evo weekend glued to my computer. For some reason it's exciting to watch, what can I say :D

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

I watch very casually. When I stopped playing SC2 regularly, I was watching matches still. Now I only watch occasionally. I'm waiting for esports to become more organized like a real sport, though. Each country or region has a league with a series of matches leading up to a major tournament. The winners then go on to the world championship to determine the best in the world. There can still be other tournaments, but I want league play to be the focus. League can be individual or team-based, or both even. Let's also have a draft system. Prospective players must go through some form of training. Once they graduate they can enter the draft to join a pro team. Because right now there are too many little tournaments going on that dilute the pro scene. Make pro gaming a real career, and a real sport to watch.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Yeah, for quake live. Every other e-sport sucks.

Define: suck

RTS

Fighting

any fps that is not super fast paced.

JigglyWiggly_
WTF? Who died and made you E-Sport King? So cause YOU probably suck at RTS and Fighting and things that are not super fast paced, then the e-sport sucks right...?
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Quake 3/Live is like Formula 1 with guns.

I don't understand how people can watch any other e-sport.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Baranga
Same as movies...some people like action movies, others like romantic movies. Depends on taste of course.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

FelipeInside

Same as movies...some people like action movies, others like romantic movies. Depends on taste of course.

But others are wrong :P

Oh and new video yay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emR_A9k3gPc

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Baranga

Maybe because people like different things? Being fast paced doesn't always make things exciting, and I get bored watching Formula 1 races as well :P

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
I usually watch MOBA style pro games, like LoL and DotA
mixedplanet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mixedplanet
Member since 2005 • 1215 Posts

not my thing

I was watching some fps e-sport repaly with commentary, the commentator mentioned that one guy has been up the entire last night and playing really good and said "what a warrior". He was serious. Made me chuckle and I closed it down. I also hate how some people get that "boss" attittude because their game was broadcasted one time on a website or they make 50 bucks a week playing games. Its like they own the world.

May be I had bad experience

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 James00715

I think RTSs and Shooters are the most likely to succeeed as spectator sports. Shooters the goal is very simple: kill the other guy/team. It's fast paced and you can see the skill when pros get amazing headshots. Non-players are able to understand this pretty easily. RTSs have a simple goal as well, just destroy all the other guy's units/buildings. RTSs also give a birds eye view of the action. It's easy to see where stuff is happening on the map. All the units individually have a simple of actions that non-players can understand quickly after watching only a few matches.

I don't think Dota is as good as RTS for watching, though. If you are just watching, the games are a little slow to get to the real action of heroes fighting and dying. The huge number of heroes and items makes for a big learning curve, hard for a non-player to appreciate the skill. The same goes for WoW Arena. There's 10 classes with many viable specs, then tons of possible items, then all the various uses for the skills/spells. It's just too much to demand a spectator to learn. I think all RPG-based games are kind of stuck here. A huge number of builds is fun for players, but not for people just watching.

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 James00715

not my thing

I was watching some fps e-sport repaly with commentary, the commentator mentioned that one guy has been up the entire last night and playing really good and said "what a warrior". He was serious. Made me chuckle and I closed it down. I also hate how some people get that "boss" attittude because their game was broadcasted one time on a website or they make 50 bucks a week playing games. Its like they own the world.

mixedplanet

Sorry for double post, but you're living in the past. SC2 has multiple big tournaments a year with 100,000 simultanous viewers each. It's not TV-level numbers, but more than successful for an Internet broadcast. Also the pro players make more than 50 a week. Yeah, there's some people who claim they are pro who just do any tournament they can find, but they are not pro. Pro players are on teams with sponsors, coaches, and management just like any real sport. On the low end they make $8,000 a year, but on the high end they can make $500,000 a year. It's really growing. Even with only $8,000, they get free food, water, shelter, medical, transportation. They don't have too many expenses. It's like having $600 a month you can spend on whatever you want or save for retirement. I think a lot of people would love to have $600 spending cash per month.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JigglyWiggly_

not my thing

mixedplanet
All true warriors play quake live/q3a/RA3.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9357e99ffb8
deactivated-5e9357e99ffb8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5e9357e99ffb8
Member since 2007 • 1255 Posts

Im watching Blizzcon tournament right now :D

I also heard that ESPN wants to get involved in E-sports because of the ammount of viewers.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

I'm a big Starcraft II follower. I also like watching MOBAs, but besides that I don't really like anything else. I would probably watch Quake if I had time to.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I watch StarCraft II(and probably Dota 2 soon) religously. Every other e-sport I find incredibly boring to watch.