Anti-Aliasing...whats the deal?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chandlerr_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: -2

#1 chandlerr_360
Member since 2006 • 5078 Posts

I just downloaded and played the Shogun 2 demo and noticed there was no option for AA (prob just because its the demo), but it made me wonder...why is AA even a option? It would make a hell of a lot more sense if every game just had a standard 4x AA built right into the formula. I mean, modern PC games look absolutely atrocious without AA imo, almost unplayable if visuals are a huge part of the game for you.

Does anyone know the actual technical reason why AA is a choice rather than a built in part of the game? I mean how hard is it for game developers to just make sure that edges are clean and not fuzzy, seems kind of sloppy to me.

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts
because some people can't afford a high tech pc.
chandlerr_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#3 chandlerr_360
Member since 2006 • 5078 Posts
because some people can't afford a high tech pc.mep69
Yeah but AA is not really that taxing compared to other graphical features, if it was under the hood people could just adjust settings accordingly.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
[QUOTE="mep69"]because some people can't afford a high tech pc.chandlerr_360
Yeah but AA is not really that taxing compared to other graphical features, if it was under the hood people could just adjust settings accordingly.

AA does tax fps... Why do you think it's still used to benchmark GPUs... Also, If my game is slowing down, first thing i'd rather get rid of is AA, and afterwards eyecandy. At 1920x1080 jaggies aren't that bothersome.
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

Having an option to turn it on or off means people can adjust according to their performance level. If having AA off gains an extra god knows how many FPS, then why not have an option to turn it off? Having no option just forces people who don't even notice or care about AA to put up with it and suffer a potentially massive performance hit.

Being forced to use AA has only negatives. There is nothing positive about it.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I dont care for AA. Unless im getting 60+ fps, i dont bother turning it on. AF, on the other hand, i always max.

Its generally not built into games because of its high memory consumption wreaking havoc on integrated GPUs, especially laptops.

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
Put AA on Crysis and tell me it's not an fps killer.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

It's common for DEMOS, not to have complete access or no access at all to settings...

Anyway, not playing this, will wait for reviews, won't be fooled after Empire, if they only mention the words issues or bugs, no matter how important or not they are, I'm not getting, even if this is the sequel I wanted the most from the Total War series, but Empire was by far the worst game I ever bought (not because of the game itself, but I just couldn't play it because of bugs) and I avoided Napoleon when people said it was perfectly stable just to recently hear lots of complaints about bugs, lots of bugs, not as severe as Empire, but I won't risk it.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I mean, modern PC games look absolutely atrocious without AA imo, almost unplayable if visuals are a huge part of the game for you.chandlerr_360

You're overreacting to much here.. They look just fine without AA, especially at 1080p were jaggies ain't such a big deal. I honestly think your expectations need to lower down a bit.

Having the option to turn it off or on is a plus, and a big one at that for the majority that uses a mid-end PCs. Some games require it off if you want a good balance of FPS. It makes no sense to take out the choice.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

AA is overrated imo. I haven't seen many games were it makes a large differnce.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lucianu

James161324

Well, it actually is a pretty giant difference in imagine quality if you're resolution is 800 x 600, or 1024 x 768.

Try it out, the difference betwen non-AA, and AA at max. for games at 1024 or lower is like the difference betwen night and day.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
Member since 2005 • 1890 Posts
I usually sacrifice other graphical options for anti-aliasing.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

You people are nuts.

Games without AA are ugly an unimmersive. Plain and simple. Nothign brings you out of the experience faster than a bunch of jaggy lines all over the place. Even a modest 2xAA can do wonders at high pixel densities. And that's the key there, pixel density. Resolution doesn't matter. Screen area/resolution matters.

Luckily modern PC hardware cna EASILY pull off 2x AA on most titles without much of an impact at all. It's not until you get past 4x AA or you're doing super sampling that performance starts to take a dive.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

I just downloaded and played the Shogun 2 demo and noticed there was no option for AA (prob just because its the demo), but it made me wonder...why is AA even a option? It would make a hell of a lot more sense if every game just had a standard 4x AA built right into the formula. I mean, modern PC games look absolutely atrocious without AA imo, almost unplayable if visuals are a huge part of the game for you.

Does anyone know the actual technical reason why AA is a choice rather than a built in part of the game? I mean how hard is it for game developers to just make sure that edges are clean and not fuzzy, seems kind of sloppy to me.

chandlerr_360

i hope you are joking right? people with low end pcs that hardly play things at medium would be screwed with 4x aa, so no, there is not technical reason, only a logical reason. if you can activate it do so and stop being lazy.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

[QUOTE="James161324"]

Lucianu

Well, it actually is a pretty giant difference in imagine quality if you're resolution is 800 x 600, or 1024 x 768.

Try it out, the difference betwen non-AA, and AA at max. for games at 1024 or lower is like the difference betwen night and day.

I'm sure it can be, but even at 1440 by 900 i can't notice much of a difference between No-2x aa v 8aa.

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="James161324"]

James161324

I'm sure it can be, but even at 1440 by 900 i can't notice much of a difference between No-2x aa v 8aa.

Maybe you're doing something wrong. The difference is usually massive!

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

You people are nuts.

Games without AA are ugly an unimmersive. Plain and simple. Nothign brings you out of the experience faster than a bunch of jaggy lines all over the place. Even a modest 2xAA can do wonders at high pixel densities. And that's the key there, pixel density. Resolution doesn't matter. Screen area/resolution matters.

Luckily modern PC hardware cna EASILY pull off 2x AA on most titles without much of an impact at all. It's not until you get past 4x AA or you're doing super sampling that performance starts to take a dive.

Kinthalis
you are wrong and right. wrong that games without AA are ugly and unimmersive. you are right about pixel density. now if my pixel density was very high (which it is) 2xAA would be even less noticeable than on low pixel densities. i'm playing just cause 2 on a 23.6 inch monitor at 1440x900 and i'd rather put up with the jaggies than turning everything to low. i need the FPS for the fast paced action and the game still looks good enough (for me), especially the water. it's better than seeing a crisp picture full of dull textures and without most of the effects.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

chandlerr_360
Depending on the game AA will drop framerate. What you can try with any game that doesn't include a menu option is to force AA through your video card control panel. Nvidia includes a section where individual programs can have unique settings, but I'm not sure about ATI/AMD. Personally, I always force AF to 16X with AA dependent on the game and vsync forced off. I prefer the most speed I can get and let resolution take care of 'jaggies'.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lucianu

You people are nuts.

Kinthalis

I don't know what's wrong with ya'll.

I honestly don't know what to say.

crazyfist36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 crazyfist36
Member since 2003 • 574 Posts

it's only available for cards supporting dx 10.1 and 11.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

crazyfist36
AKA cards, that should be able to actually play the game with good enough settings to activate something extra that hits the frame rate hard (I say should because nothing stops people from trying to play high end games on low end cards of current series).
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#23 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

It's common for DEMOS, not to have complete access or no access at all to settings...

Anyway, not playing this, will wait for reviews, won't be fooled after Empire, if they only mention the words issues or bugs, no matter how important or not they are, I'm not getting, even if this is the sequel I wanted the most from the Total War series, but Empire was by far the worst game I ever bought (not because of the game itself, but I just couldn't play it because of bugs) and I avoided Napoleon when people said it was perfectly stable just to recently hear lots of complaints about bugs, lots of bugs, not as severe as Empire, but I won't risk it.

DanielDust

Napoleon was nearly bug free and ran about 50% better for me personally then Empire did, I knwo you had a bad experience with Empire, but they did a great job with Napoleon and same with Shogun2 demo. The demo runs more like Napoleon then Empire for me no doubt about it.

CA really did learn there lesson with Empire and did a fantastic job on Napoleon. The whole empire thing was almost a blessing for CA as it made them step there game up and improve in the performance/bugs/ai departments.

With some engines it takes a few tries to get everything down right, this is the case for CA and there latest Total War games. I would suggest giving Napoleon a try and the Shogun2 demo, both run much better then Empire did. Napoleon was a HUGE step forward for CA imo fom a performance/bug perspective, maybe not from a gameplay or feature aspect, but as far as bugs and performance there is a bgi differnce between Empire and Napoleon.

Isn't that what comanies are suppose to do? Learn from there mistakes? CA has done that and the performance between Empire and Napoleon was like day and night, even with Napoleon looking better.

Skullcandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 Skullcandy
Member since 2003 • 763 Posts

AA makes a huge difference...when you own a PC that can utilize it without slowdown. It's an option because there are many PC gamers who can't afford a minimum $1200 rig that takes advantage of AA.

Upparoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Upparoom
Member since 2010 • 2111 Posts

AA is extremely taxing on performance, that's why. Especially on games with lots of vegetation such as Shogun 2.

Whether it's useful or not depends on the game. For example, I turn it off in L4D2 to keep the framerate above 60 in 1080p. Plus you can rarely notice it while you're fending off zombies

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

AA makes a huge difference...when you own a PC that can utilize it without slowdown. It's an option because there are many PC gamers who can't afford a minimum $1200 rig that takes advantage of AA.

Skullcandy

I use 4xMSAA + MLAA in all of my games. Crysis is the exception, I use 2xMSAA + MLAA for that game.

I can assure you that my rig costs much less than $1200! I game at 1600x900 by the way although I will be upgrading to a 1080p monitor in the next few days. Then I might settle for 2xMSAA or just MLAA alone in all my games.

luv2dance1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 luv2dance1984
Member since 2004 • 44 Posts

[QUOTE="crazyfist36"]

DanielDust

AKA cards, that should be able to actually play the game with good enough settings to activate something extra that hits the frame rate hard (I say should because nothing stops people from trying to play high end games on low end cards of current series).

I dont think it's the card, My system spec: i7920, 4gb ddr3, EVGA GTX 470 1280mb SC, and the AA drop down list just didnt have any options for me, everything else is on Ultra, I turned everything on/max and still got a decent FPS and 1920 x 1080. Could it be an issue with the driver?

supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 supras989
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts

Yeah I'll only really use AA if I have the horsepower to spare, butyeah I could just leave it off all the time, at 1920x1080 there is little jaggies at all naturally, moreso the higher you go.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Itll come in handy for racing games, but a lot of games now arent as jagged as before where its very noticeable. I think 2x/4x is good enough.

MrsBlunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 MrsBlunder
Member since 2011 • 126 Posts

[QUOTE="mep69"]because some people can't afford a high tech pc.chandlerr_360

AA is one of the largest taxing feature actually, followed by draw distance. In fact, many games can be handled by average and lower PCs at full graphics with no AA, but once you turn up the AA, you'll meet the FPS lagdom. WoW, Rift, NFS: World. All of those I can run at full graphics, 4x AA with decent framerates. If I drop the AA, I run the at max FPS and if I raise the AA, they become unplayable (except WoW, but yeah.) Granted, I don't have a high end pc anymore -- it's glory days were about three to four years ago.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

[QUOTE="chandlerr_360"]

Stinger78

Depending on the game AA will drop framerate. What you can try with any game that doesn't include a menu option is to force AA through your video card control panel. Nvidia includes a section where individual programs can have unique settings, but I'm not sure about ATI/AMD. Personally, I always force AF to 16X with AA dependent on the game and vsync forced off. I prefer the most speed I can get and let resolution take care of 'jaggies'.

Why in gods name would you force vsync OFF? The WORST, WORST thing in the world is screen tearing. And yes, ati has a force on/off option like nvidia.. silly that your avatar is amd and you don't know 'bout their products. :P

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
The full version will support AA.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

[QUOTE="Stinger78"][QUOTE="chandlerr_360"]

Inconsistancy

Why in gods name would you force vsync OFF? The WORST, WORST thing in the world is screen tearing. And yes, ati has a force on/off option like nvidia.. silly that your avatar is amd and you don't know 'bout their products. :P

1 - In my experience, when a game runs less than your refresh rate turning off vsync can gain performance. There are some exceptions, but I'd say 99% of the time I don't use it. 2 - My avatar is from an AMD Opteron CPU. In 2006 I upgraded to the Opteron from an Athlon XP 3000+ - Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz equivalent speed to a dual-core running at a stock 2.0GHz. The last time I used ATI-powered video was an All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro between 2003 and 2006 3 - Having been a gamer for almost 30 years now I've become accustomed to games not having to have the best graphics to be enjoyable or playable.
howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts

I max out all other graphics options before I even consider turning AA on. And if I do it's never more then 2x or 4x. It's not the biggest change compared to other graphics options (resolution, texture quality, shadows, ect.) but it seems to have the biggest impact sometimes.

Buttons1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Buttons1990
Member since 2009 • 3167 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="crazyfist36"]

luv2dance1984

I dont think it's the card, My system spec: i7920, 4gb ddr3, EVGA GTX 470 1280mb SC, and the AA drop down list just didnt have any options for me, everything else is on Ultra, I turned everything on/max and still got a decent FPS and 1920 x 1080. Could it be an issue with the driver?

I don't know what I am doing wrong man... I am running a Q9550 @ 3.6GHz, a GTX470 + GTX260 for PhysX (had power to spare and a 260 I wasn't using), and 8GB of RAM... And I can't get a decent framerate...

Zoomed out usually the game runs fine, but I zoom in even on a single unit and my FPS drops to like mid 20s... And then when there is an actual large battle going on... I am getting like 10 fps zoomed in or out... This is with most settings at ultra... I mean wtf it doesn't look that much better than Napoleon and I had that game maxed easily with room to spare (popping 8x aa)...

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

[QUOTE="Stinger78"][QUOTE="chandlerr_360"]

Inconsistancy

Maybe to you buts to me its just a minor annoyance that i don't really notice but it depends on the game of course and there are some very valid reasons to turn of v-sync. The most important being the inpuh that lag v-sync introduces that can completely ruin the experience for me I hate when games don't have flawless 1:1 pixel movement any input lag is a huge negative for me especially with the much more sensitive mouse where you can more grealty notice the diffrence. Stopped me from enjoying games like arx fatalis and freedom force that have v-sync forced and can't turn it off no matter what :( and console games like killzone 2 and warhawk have terrible input lag that really destorys the experience for me. Second is that if your not getting 60+ fps all the time v-sync will lower performance as it matches your fps to your refresh rate.