• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Wesker776
Member since 2005 • 7004 Posts

Anandtech's full preview (thanks to wklzip for notifying the members of the Custom Built PC Union):

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3153&p=1

I'm not going to say "I told you so!", and I don't want this topic to turn into a flame war. Take the results as you will, but keep crap out of this topic.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Well it's been benched several times already, but people said they weren't legit. I just hope the DS3L will be able to accept a Yorkfield down the road :D If not, Nehalem is right around the corner.
wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts

Table of Contents:

The Long Road to Phenom (Page 1)

Intel Responds with...really? (Page 2)
First Tunisia, then Tahoe? (Page 3)
Socket-AM2+, Not So Positive? (Page 4)
Overclocking (Page 5)General Application Performance + 2D Image Manipulation Performance (Page 6)
Media Encoding Performance (Page 7)
3D Rendering Performance (Page 8 )
Gaming Performance (Page 9)
Power Consumption (Page 10)
Final Words (Page 11)

It took me some time to make it so use it

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts
Things aren't looking for for AMD on the processor side of things. They're going to need another ace up their sleeve to weather this next year comfortably.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 X360PS3AMD05
^^ There's a drop down menu on the page that can do the same thing...........and i agree what's with the 100mhz increment on the 9600?....
Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Baselerd
Member since 2003 • 5104 Posts
Poor AMD, the Phenom is slower than the Core 2 Duo. Just like the r600, it came way too late. If this had been competing last year, it would've been a good product. Also, I don't think anyone really cares about the spider platform. I could be wrong though, but 4 way Xfire seems a little stupid.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 X360PS3AMD05
Well, one good thing is supposedly Hector Ruiz is stepping down.
IQT786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 IQT786
Member since 2005 • 2604 Posts
so now intel will push there prices up :cry:
LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LordEC911
Member since 2004 • 9972 Posts

Also, I don't think anyone really cares about the spider platform. I could be wrong though, but 4 way Xfire seems a little stupid. Baselerd

Faster than GTX/Ultra SLI for about 20-30% less?
How is that stupid?

SHootER_FAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SHootER_FAN
Member since 2007 • 118 Posts
wow amd seems like it only caught up to intel
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 X360PS3AMD05

[QUOTE="Baselerd"]Also, I don't think anyone really cares about the spider platform. I could be wrong though, but 4 way Xfire seems a little stupid. LordEC911

How is that stupid?

For like a 10% performance increase :lol: How much for the nuclear reactor to power it? You seem to have forgotten the 8800GT.
r3351925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 r3351925
Member since 2006 • 1728 Posts
[QUOTE="LordEC911"]

[QUOTE="Baselerd"]Also, I don't think anyone really cares about the spider platform. I could be wrong though, but 4 way Xfire seems a little stupid. X360PS3AMD05

How is that stupid?

For like a 10% performance increase :lol: How much for the nuclear reactor to power it? You seem to have forgotten the 8800GT.

LOL.

Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Wesker776
[QUOTE="LordEC911"]

[QUOTE="Baselerd"]Also, I don't think anyone really cares about the spider platform. I could be wrong though, but 4 way Xfire seems a little stupid. X360PS3AMD05

How is that stupid?

He said GTX/ULTRA SLI for 20-30% less in price.

Also, the power requirements of 4 way CrossFireX using HD3850/70 aren't that far off from GTX/ULTRA SLi. Each HD3850/70 card consumes between 90-105w, while each GTX/ULTRA consumes close to 200w. So 4 way CrossFireX with HD3850/70 cards consume roughly the same power as 2 GTX/ULTRA cards. Not as "nuclear" as you make it out to be.

Also, the 8800 GT can't do quad SLi, let alone tri SLi. Further, the price you pay for 8800 GT SLi is nearly enough to buy HD3850 quad CrossFireX.

bluebusiness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bluebusiness
Member since 2006 • 541 Posts
I think AMD needs get moving fast because i am really pissed right now. I want a really fast quad core CPU and this is not fast at all... Also i think making a new line of triple cores is stupid. Ok its innovative but is it that necessary? I mean come on...
bluebusiness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bluebusiness
What does AM2+ mean? I have AM2 is that ok for the Phenom x4?
Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wesker776

I think AMD needs get moving fast because i am really pissed right now. I want a really fast quad core CPU and this is not fast at all... Also i think making a new line of triple cores is stupid. Ok its innovative but is it that necessary? I mean come on... bluebusiness

Yet you were flaming me a week ago and accusing me of being an Intel fanboy for posting Barcelona benchmarks.

The tri cores are not stupid, they're quite smart actually. If there's one "dead" core on a Phenom/Barcelona die, AMD can just disable it and package the CPU as a tri core.

Avatar image for RichterBelmont7
RichterBelmont7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RichterBelmont7
Member since 2007 • 335 Posts

This is unfortunate..AMD has an excellent new chipset, a great new GPU line, and a wonderful new overclocking tool..but their newest CPUs aren't what was hoped for, one part of the tripod is damaged.

Hopefully the ATI side of DAAMIT can take up the slack, but there are some real issues..AMD needs to get to 45nm ASAP and they need to figure out how to scale the Phenoms better.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 X360PS3AMD05
What happened the last time the gimmick of four cards was introduced? Driver support was nil and it was a waste of money. I know because someone on another forum is rich and actually bought them. If performance isn't doubled with SLI/xfire, 4 cards will be crippled.
bluebusiness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bluebusiness

[QUOTE="bluebusiness"]I think AMD needs get moving fast because i am really pissed right now. I want a really fast quad core CPU and this is not fast at all... Also i think making a new line of triple cores is stupid. Ok its innovative but is it that necessary? I mean come on... Wesker776

Yet you were flaming me a week ago and accusing me of being an Intel fanboy for posting Barcelona benchmarks.

The tri cores are not stupid, they're quite smart actually. If there's one "dead" core on a Phenom/Barcelona die, AMD can just disable it and package the CPU as a tri core.

thank you for your input on the tri core news. But whats with you always aggrevating me man. I was not really flaming.. I just started saying that phenom was going to be great and it turned out it didnt. Your benchmarks were not reliable.. because the phenoms werent out yet... so i didnt trust them. Also YOU were the one who began calling me an AMD fanboy. I just want this to end... I can tell in many of your replies to my posts you always are disagreeing and that comes from you trying to piss me off even more. I understand your opinion for the tri core stuff... but everything else please stop man.
brayant321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 brayant321
Member since 2003 • 984 Posts
Well I'm still getting one of the ones that come out in 08 Q1 because i have an AM2 motherboard. I think AMD will be ok cause regular people just see oh 2.6GHZ intel and 2.6GHz Athlon hummm what ones cheaper ? Also if it's anything like AMD's dual cores look out overclocking! One thing I wonder is what the hell happend that amd got a year behind on there product and who got fired for it?
dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
AMD=looser, Phenom X4 is slower in most of the case than old Q6600, WTF
domke13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 domke13
Member since 2006 • 2891 Posts

Things aren't looking for for AMD on the processor side of things. They're going to need another ace up their sleeve to weather this next year comfortably.RayvinAzn

If they are even capable of making another ace, looking how things are for AMD.

domke13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 domke13
[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"][QUOTE="LordEC911"]

[QUOTE="Baselerd"]Also, I don't think anyone really cares about the spider platform. I could be wrong though, but 4 way Xfire seems a little stupid. Wesker776

How is that stupid?

Also, the power requirements of 4 way CrossFireX using HD3850/70 aren't that far off from GTX/ULTRA SLi. Each HD3850/70 card consumes between 90-105w, while each GTX/ULTRA consumes close to 200w. So 4 way CrossFireX with HD3850/70 cards consume roughly the same power as 2 GTX/ULTRA cards. Not as "nuclear" as you make it out to be.

Also, the 8800 GT can't do quad SLi, let alone tri SLi. Further, the price you pay for 8800 GT SLi is nearly enough to buy HD3850 quad CrossFireX.

Then there are also drivers hmm. I remember that 4x7800GTX wasnt even that faster then 7800 GTX SLI. And drivers were fault.

domke13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 domke13

This is unfortunate..AMD has an excellent new chipset, a great new GPU line, and a wonderful new overclocking tool..but their newest CPUs aren't what was hoped for, one part of the tripod is damaged.

Hopefully the ATI side of DAAMIT can take up the slack, but there are some real issues..AMD needs to get to 45nm ASAP and they need to figure out how to scale the Phenoms better.

RichterBelmont7

They indeed do have "great new GPU line" :roll:

Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wesker776
[QUOTE="Wesker776"]

[QUOTE="bluebusiness"]I think AMD needs get moving fast because i am really pissed right now. I want a really fast quad core CPU and this is not fast at all... Also i think making a new line of triple cores is stupid. Ok its innovative but is it that necessary? I mean come on... bluebusiness

thank you for your input on the tri core news. But whats with you always aggrevating me man. I was not really flaming.. I just started saying that phenom was going to be great and it turned out it didnt. Your benchmarks were not reliable.. because the phenoms werent out yet... so i didnt trust them. Also YOU were the one who began calling me an AMD fanboy. I just want this to end... I can tell in many of your replies to my posts you always are disagreeing and that comes from you trying to piss me off even more. I understand your opinion for the tri core stuff... but everything else please stop man.

I'm not trying to aggrevate you, I wanted to inform you about CPU's.

I posted Barcelona (server version of Phenom, basically) reviews from credible sites, telling everyone that they shouldn't get their hopes too high.

The problem here is that you take the things I say as opinion, and not as fact (when I clearly back up my statements with links to credible sources). If you took all of this as a highly personal issue, then that wasn't my intention. I've seen people come and go on these forums, giving wrong advice to those who don't know much about tech news and whatnot, and I merely aim to amend these inaccuracies.

LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LordEC911
Member since 2004 • 9972 Posts

What happened the last time the gimmick of four cards was introduced? Driver support was nil and it was a waste of money. I know because someone on another forum is rich and actually bought them. If performance isn't doubled with SLI/xfire, 4 cards will be crippled.X360PS3AMD05

What is your problem?
You don't like keeping up with the news but still like to give your opinion, that is wrong?

AMD has shown QuadFire working quite a few times.
The drivers work, the cards are out and so are the motherboards, the CPUs were just released so we will soon be seeing if it actually works for us consumers.

AMD is stating about a 3.2-3.4x performance increase with QuadFire, I forgot the exact number.

Edit- BTW there are still a few kinks/problems to be worked out in Phenom.

wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wklzip
[QUOTE="Wesker776"]

[QUOTE="bluebusiness"]I think AMD needs get moving fast because i am really pissed right now. I want a really fast quad core CPU and this is not fast at all... Also i think making a new line of triple cores is stupid. Ok its innovative but is it that necessary? I mean come on... bluebusiness

Wesker is always trying to "educate" people in the PC Hardware, he never intends to flame anyone. That is how you take his point of view.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts
[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"][QUOTE="LordEC911"]

[QUOTE="Baselerd"]Also, I don't think anyone really cares about the spider platform. I could be wrong though, but 4 way Xfire seems a little stupid. Wesker776

How is that stupid?

Yes, execpt for crysis what games do i need 4gpu?

wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wklzip

Bebi_vegeta

Future games.

You dont seem to like hardware.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
NT AMD. Glad to see a price drop by intel, if nothing else :D
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bebi_vegeta
[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

wklzip

Future games.

futur games... ever heard of futur hardware?

Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Baselerd

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]What happened the last time the gimmick of four cards was introduced? Driver support was nil and it was a waste of money. I know because someone on another forum is rich and actually bought them. If performance isn't doubled with SLI/xfire, 4 cards will be crippled.LordEC911

What is your problem?
You don't like keeping up with the news but still like to give your opinion, that is wrong?

AMD has shown QuadFire working quite a few times.
The drivers work, the cards are out and so are the motherboards, the CPUs were just released so we will soon be seeing if it actually works for us consumers.

AMD is stating about a 3.2-3.4x performance increase with QuadFire, I forgot the exact number.

Edit- BTW there are still a few kinks/problems to be worked out in Phenom.

I think that is optimistic on AMD's part. Time will tell, but they also said (I can't find my reference, so don't ask) that the phenom would be faster than core 2 on a per clock basis. I have a hard time believing that quad xfire would scale that well. I mean, look how regular dual card setups scale.

If AMD can really nail the drivers down that would be great, but I'm skeptical. (although their xfire drivers are substantially better than the SLI drivers currently -with regard to the hd2900xt). However, the next NVIDIA enthusiast cards are bound to come out some time soon, which will probably invalidate quad xfire as a good alternative.

And AMD does seem somewhat screwed right now in the cpu department... Intel's coming around the corner with a full range of penryn quad cores eventually, and nehalem in 2008. It's going to be some tough going. Let me just say that I'm all for AMD though.

wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wklzip
[QUOTE="wklzip"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Bebi_vegeta

Future games.

And you dont seem to like future hardware also

Why dont you get happy about hardware improvement at all

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bebi_vegeta
[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"][QUOTE="wklzip"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

wklzip

Future games.

And you dont seem to like future hardware also

Why dont you get happy about hardware improvement at all

I just said ever heard of futur hardware !!!

Meaning the new generation of cards from nvidia & ati will probably be enough for futur gaming.

As for now, there is no need.

wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wklzip

I just said ever heard of futur hardware !!!

Meaning the new generation of cards from nvidia & ati will probably be enough for futur gaming.

As for now, there is no need.

Bebi_vegeta

Probably, but remember that some people always like overkill.

filmography

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 filmography
Member since 2004 • 3202 Posts
damn, come on amd we need you guys to keep strong, I dont want the old days of intel charging outrageous prices for crappy products to come back.
wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wklzip

damn, come on amd we need you guys to keep strong, I dont want the old days of intel charging outrageous prices for crappy products to come back. filmography

Hell, that is how a hardware enthusiast sounds like :)

Avatar image for RichterBelmont7
RichterBelmont7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RichterBelmont7
Member since 2007 • 335 Posts

domke13

Yes, yes they do..even if its technically the same architecture as the HD2900XT and ilk they have virtually equivalent performance with the 8800GT for nearly $100 less on average and they are selling out all over the place.

Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Baselerd
[QUOTE="domke13"]

RichterBelmont7

Yes, yes they do..even if its technically the same architecture as the HD2900XT and ilk they have virtually equivalent performance with the 8800GT for nearly $100 less on average and they are selling out all over the place.

The performance is about 15% slower and it's generally only $40-$50 more expensive.

Zaber123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zaber123
Member since 2003 • 1159 Posts
Intel needs competition for the good of all of us consumers. If AMD doesn't put up a strong offering soon or have an extrememly aggresive price point then were going to see intel slow down and release CPUs that are just clocked higher like they did with P4s. Where's the next Athlon XP?
Avatar image for Indestructible2
Indestructible2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Indestructible2
Member since 2007 • 5935 Posts
I'm not trying to sound like a Intel fanboy or anything like that but i'm a bit dissapointed,but if AMD drops the prices on their X4's,AMD should have a better chance.
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts
Let AMD get a revision in.
wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wklzip

Let AMD get a revision in.9mmSpliff

I hope it does and it should do fast, because Nehalem its coming and that thing must be almost unstoppable.

9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts

well dont forget AMD is releasing its 8 core in Q3 2008 and possibly a 6 core. AMD will compete with Core 2 Duo in sales I think. The one thing is they will have a better price point with its 3 core CPU, which could make a ton of sales for them, a budget CPU, they have to start with a higher price point then Intel right off the bat. They will lower them, but can you imagine how inexpensive the X2 will be since we will have a X3....hahahaha, then single cores will be dirt cheap. AMD has that Sub $300 market cornered if you ask me.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bebi_vegeta

well dont forget AMD is releasing its 8 core in Q3 2008 and possibly a 6 core. AMD will compete with Core 2 Duo in sales I think. The one thing is they will have a better price point with its 3 core CPU, which could make a ton of sales for them, a budget CPU, they have to start with a higher price point then Intel right off the bat. They will lower them, but can you imagine how inexpensive the X2 will be since we will have a X3....hahahaha, then single cores will be dirt cheap. AMD has that Sub $300 market cornered if you ask me.

9mmSpliff

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz is still your best option out now and for a while.

wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wklzip
[QUOTE="9mmSpliff"]

Bebi_vegeta

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz is still your best option out now and for a while.

I agree, still the Q6600 is the best bang for the buck for all it offers.

Mr_NoName111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Mr_NoName111
Member since 2005 • 1035 Posts
[QUOTE="Wesker776"]

I've also noticed that wesker loves to troll these forums.
Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Wesker776
[QUOTE="bluebusiness"][QUOTE="Wesker776"]

[QUOTE="bluebusiness"]I think AMD needs get moving fast because i am really pissed right now. I want a really fast quad core CPU and this is not fast at all... Also i think making a new line of triple cores is stupid. Ok its innovative but is it that necessary? I mean come on... Mr_NoName111

I've also noticed that wesker loves to troll these forums.

Troll? Me? :lol:

Correcting fanboyism is trolling is it? :lol: Using credible sources, benchmarks and logic is what a troll uses, is it?

:roll:

wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 wklzip

I've also noticed that wesker loves to troll these forums.Mr_NoName111

:?