am i the only one that wants Games for Windows LIVE to succeed?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

redbaron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 redbaron3
Member since 2004 • 984 Posts
well i want it to succede too... as in stop sucking
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="Gooeykat"][QUOTE="grumpyyoungman"] how did you know? :-PGammit10
:) Well if you hadn't guess already, I'll support GFW as soon as Microsoft starts to support it. Right now Steam blows it out of the water.

Pretty much this. I'll use GFW when I play Fallout 3, but until thn, it's STEAM and Impulse to buy and dowload games.

I like it well enough as the multiplayer connection/solution that I think of it as - but yeah, I'd never consider using it to buy games. I forgot that they even sell games via GFWL, heh.
grumpyyoungman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 grumpyyoungman
Member since 2009 • 100 Posts
in response to a few points you guys have made.... MS points for purchases - while i agree this sucks, its necessary. why? because you can't just say stuff is $5 or whatever. the USA is not the only country that plays xbox....it may be 80% of all xbox players, but its not everyone. if MS wants to expand their reach, they have to act like they care about other countries and their currencies. although its easier for the consumer just to say "this thing costs $5"...if they are wanting to appeal to different countries, they have to make a universal payment system. just like nintendo does right now. not saying i LIKE it, but i understand it. the only thing i will say for it is that when i buy 1600 ms points....i can purchase content when i'm on the 360 or when i'm playing a GFWL title. i guess if they had a monetary system i could do the same, but you know what im saying. Steam vs. GFWL - i'm not sure if that has a place in this post actually. steam is a great service in it's own right, and yes i know you can use xfire and other free tools to track your stats, etc. the reason i like the concept of GFWL is because its a unified client that SPANS TWO PLATFORMS. so if my friend who is only an xbox gamer is looking up my gamertag, he can see what games im playing, achievements, etc. also the unified chat function is really cool. i can chat with my friends when i'm playing Fallout 3 on the pc while they are playing whatever on the 360. i can understand everyone's frustrations with MS's attempt to get a hold of the pc gaming community and tie it to its own proprietary system....but i think MS's thinking is that just about every gamer is a PC gamer and using Windows...so why not attempt to unify everyone on Windows? yes they failed with the initial offering, but if they added some more services, took out the bugs, and truly tried to unify the gamers on the PC and on the 360 with some cross platform goodness, i think they would have a winner. this way if they ever put a popular MMO on the 360 (i.i champions online coming up soon...its not WoW, but its a hyped mmorpg) and cross platformed the play, people with limited budgets and no gaming rig to play pc games on could play with their friends on the 360 and on the PC. so in theory, good concept, bad execution.
mayforcebeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 mayforcebeyou
Member since 2007 • 2703 Posts
i think its better to have no system than having live and steam and stuff
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
[QUOTE="Gammit10"][QUOTE="Gooeykat"] :) Well if you hadn't guess already, I'll support GFW as soon as Microsoft starts to support it. Right now Steam blows it out of the water.Makari
Pretty much this. I'll use GFW when I play Fallout 3, but until thn, it's STEAM and Impulse to buy and dowload games.

I like it well enough as the multiplayer connection/solution that I think of it as - but yeah, I'd never consider using it to buy games. I forgot that they even sell games via GFWL, heh.

They don't sell games.
-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#56 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

I haven't really bothered reading all the other comments but the reason why I don't like games for windows.. is that it does the exact opposite of it's own intentions... It tries to enhance your gaming experience but instead it slows it down which is the worst thing you can possibly do in my opinion. People don't want to have to register and register again just to play online... or have to wait a minute to view your messages or have to login every time you want to play the game, even in single player. Itinconvenients the player if they want to purchase something from the marketplace. I don't want Games for Windows LIVE to succeed because it's had it's chance and I simply just want it to die down and stop.. plus it has a stupid name..

blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#57 blade55555
Member since 2005 • 1116 Posts
I hate GFWL... Has so many bugs and they try to make it like an xbox 360 on a pc... No that doesn't work that is actually very annoying don't try to copy something that works on the 360 to the pc. Come up with a better idea. I hope it dies out soon.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="Makari"][QUOTE="Gammit10"] Pretty much this. I'll use GFW when I play Fallout 3, but until thn, it's STEAM and Impulse to buy and dowload games.Deihmos

They don't sell games.

Huh. Not sure where I got the idea from, I thought I remembered Microsoft having an GFW online store a couple months back selling Gears for $50 or something ridiculous. :D Guess not, though.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
GFW works just fine on Dawn of War 2, and its infinitely better than the crap Gamespy system.. Or even the relic system imo.. Steam is amazing, the only thing I worry about is the fact that on one account name I amassing tons of games .. I would be afraid if It got stolen or somethign.
assmonkey333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 assmonkey333
Member since 2003 • 163 Posts

After reading a majority of the posts, I think I must the only one that doesn't care for steam. I didn't play fear 2 for at least a month because it MADE me update the game and I couldn't play it untill it was done. It takes forever to update games and it sucks my bandwidth dry. My connection is fast and everything else goes quick.

Also, I tried to use steam a few years ago on my old laptop and it would always freeze my comp so I stayed away from it for as long as I could.

But, I do like that steam now has an in game web browser. I haven't used it yet, but I do like to look at game guides if I get stuck and sometimes cheat codes while I'm playing and saving, getting out of the game, opening internet explorer, reading, trying to remember what to do (or writing down codes), then waiting for the game to load back up is very annoying.

As for Games for Windows Live, I don't really have anything against it (except no in game browser) and I do like the achievements, even though I don't really try for them, it makes me feel like I've advanced somewhat even when I am not really doing anything important (terrorizing the streets in GTA4).

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#62 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

I can't count 5 good games that use GFWL.

Deihmos
Here, I'll help: Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts Dawn of War II Fallout 3 Demigod Bioshock Sins of a Solar Empire Crysis Supreme Commander Lord of the Rings Online Universe at War Flight Simulator X Age of Empires III: a few expansions Age of Conan Tomb Raider: Anniversary Tomb Raider: Underworld Lost Planet The Witcher Lego Star Wars II Company of Heroes Call of Duty: World at War Lego Batman Crysis Warhead Prototype and Batman: Arkane Asylum
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

[QUOTE="Deihmos"]

Gammit10

Here, I'll help: Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts Dawn of War II Fallout 3 Demigod Bioshock Sins of a Solar Empire Crysis Supreme Commander Lord of the Rings Online Universe at War Flight Simulator X Age of Empires III: a few expansions Age of Conan Tomb Raider: Anniversary Tomb Raider: Underworld Lost Planet The Witcher Lego Star Wars II Company of Heroes Call of Duty: World at War Lego Batman Crysis Warhead Prototype and Batman: Arkane Asylum

You do know that only a few of them actually use LIVE, don't you? 3 to be exact, maybe Prototype too, but I don't remember it being LIVE.

So, as he said, 5 good games? Only 2 of the games you said that use LIVE are good Fallout 3 and DoW 2, I'll add GTA IV since it's the best out of those imo, so where are the 5 games?

Hmm seems I missed on from your list, anyway, here's the real GFW"L", not GFW, list:

Battlestations Pacific

Stormrise

Fallout 3

DoW 2

Lost Planet

Quantum of Solace

GoW

Kane & Lynch

Viva Pinata

The Club

Universe at War

Halo 2

Shadowrun

Sure it's subjective, but imo, only 3 are very good and one is decent, The very good ones are GTA IV, Fallout 3 (yes I liked it a lot even tho I hate Oblivion, which I consider the worst RPG/Action RPG ever) and DoW 2, the decent one is Battlestations Pacific, so, not even 5 games.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
[QUOTE="Gammit10"][QUOTE="Deihmos"]

lol. Do you know what you are talking about? The topic is about games for windows live.
bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#65 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
I don't mind the achievements, but I think they should've been included in every GFW title, not just GFW Live.
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Gammit10

Deihmos

lol. Do you know what you are talking about? The topic is about games for windows live.

Yup. Dumb*** me missed the "Live" part. I listed good "Games For Windows" titles.
Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

[QUOTE="Deihmos"]

Gammit10

Most of those games don't use GFWL in any way even if they have the Live logo in the cover (i.e.: Warhead and Fallout 3).

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Gammit10

Ondoval

Most of those games don't use GFWL in any way even if they have the Live logo in the cover (i.e.: Warhead and Fallout 3).

see post right above yours

grumpyyoungman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 grumpyyoungman

As for Games for Windows Live, I don't really have anything against it (except no in game browser) and I do like the achievements, even though I don't really try for them, it makes me feel like I've advanced somewhat even when I am not really doing anything important (terrorizing the streets in GTA4).

assmonkey333

i use xfire for chat, voice chat, etc...but also has an in-game browser as well.

but back to the other posts....i agree that ahievements should be added to every games for windows title. i guess youd have to get the developers to be on the same page and create these achievements as well, which is the problem for MS. i'm thinking that unless MS gets a really good incentive for the developers to make GFWL titles/enabled then its going to flop.

jtparlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 jtparlo
Member since 2003 • 392 Posts

yes i am also a pc/360 gamer and i am currently playing fallout 3 on my pc and love gfwl, the friends list, the achievments, being able to voice chat with friends on the xbox, i wish more games would support this, i would probably play more pc games if it did

grumpyyoungman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 grumpyyoungman

yes i am also a pc/360 gamer and i am currently playing fallout 3 on my pc and love gfwl, the friends list, the achievments, being able to voice chat with friends on the xbox, i wish more games would support this, i would probably play more pc games if it did

jtparlo

whoo! someone who agrees with me! yay! all is right with the world :D

i think the GFWL supporters are pretty much xbox 360 owners who also like to play games on the pc. thats kind of a niche market though now that i think about it. MOST xbox gamers are like "meh, consoles are l33t, pc's blow"...and MOST pc gamers are "meh, keep your crappy controller, my keyboard/mouse FTW". and then people like me and you are enjoying games on both platforms and welcome the idea of cross-connectivity. *sigh*

Avatar image for spiderman120988
spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#72 spiderman120988
Member since 2005 • 1421 Posts
I support the games for windows campaign because it gives all PC games a uniform banner informing consumers that this game is for PC and will work on Windows...but as for LIVE, i don't really hate, I don't really love, it's just there and particularly don't care for achievements, they're just numbers anyway.