Alpha Protocal PC DRM Info

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for spiderman120988
spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 0

#1 spiderman120988
Member since 2005 • 1421 Posts

For those of you concerned with DRM, read about it here: http://www.yougamers.com/news/28051_alpha_protocol_drm_detailed/

Personally, I think it's pretty reasonable, very similar to Securom in GTA4. I'm still not sure whether I'll get this game...the preview in PC Gamer is promising but I need to see more.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
Yea it's reasonable.
Avatar image for Anarchist-TKC-1
Anarchist-TKC-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Anarchist-TKC-1
Member since 2004 • 303 Posts

I've purchased one game (Settlers 7) with a DRM... never again. It doesn't allow you to play single player or any option of a LAN when the servers drop offline.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

I've purchased one game (Settlers 7) with a DRM... never again. It doesn't allow you to play single player or any option of a LAN when the servers drop offline.

Anarchist-TKC-1
This is not Ubisofts online DRM, why don't you read what it actually says...
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
I can live with that and at least they will remove all DRM in 18-24 months
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

I lived to see the day where Gamespotters agree that BioShock styIe DRM is acceptable...

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

Anarchist-TKC-1
pretty much every game has some drm, most drm is less annoying than ubisofts though.
Anarchist-TKC-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Anarchist-TKC-1
I understand this is a different DRM, but from first hand expierence of UBI's, I'm keeping away from them for sure. Why bother putting a DRM in the first place if these guys are going to remove it at a later date?!
spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 spiderman120988
It's to prevent day-one piracy. When they remove it, its at a point when they can't make any more profit on the game. This is not Ubi's DRM, it's not even the same thing! Just a one time activation and play! No constant online connection needed. I don't think you should be that worried.
TruedUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TruedUp
Member since 2002 • 691 Posts

For those of you concerned with DRM, read about it here: http://www.yougamers.com/news/28051_alpha_protocol_drm_detailed/

Personally, I think it's pretty reasonable, very similar to Securom in GTA4. I'm still not sure whether I'll get this game...the preview in PC Gamer is promising but I need to see more.

spiderman120988
I agree. I can live with that DRM. The game itself does look like it has potential so I've following the progress. Hope for the best, I guess.
Royas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Royas
Member since 2002 • 1448 Posts

I understand this is a different DRM, but from first hand expierence of UBI's, I'm keeping away from them for sure. Why bother putting a DRM in the first place if these guys are going to remove it at a later date?!Anarchist-TKC-1

Every game has DRM, just about. There are very few exceptions. Even a simple disc check or CD-Key is a form of DRM, albeit relatively simple and easy. If you don't want any DRM, you will have to stop playing on the PC altogether, I'm afraid.

This isn't an unreasonable scheme. It allows a form of offline activation, gives you back activations without necessarily having to uninstall the game from a previous computer, and doesn't get in the way of the game. I'm normally against limited activations and online activations, but this is a pretty good way to give both while having none of the disadvantages. And compared to Ubisoft's obnoxious and criminally restrictive DRM, this is great.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
That is a pretty reasonable DRM system they got. As long as you can get back the activation slots, I am happy.
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

I really like that they make it clear that they are going to remove the activation limit once they get through the first year or so. That makes it a lot easier to live with the limited activation system.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="Anarchist-TKC-1"]I understand this is a different DRM, but from first hand expierence of UBI's, I'm keeping away from them for sure. Why bother putting a DRM in the first place if these guys are going to remove it at a later date?!Royas

Every game has DRM, just about. There are very few exceptions. Even a simple disc check or CD-Key is a form of DRM, albeit relatively simple and easy. If you don't want any DRM, you will have to stop playing on the PC altogether, I'm afraid.

This isn't an unreasonable scheme. It allows a form of offline activation, gives you back activations without necessarily having to uninstall the game from a previous computer, and doesn't get in the way of the game. I'm normally against limited activations and online activations, but this is a pretty good way to give both while having none of the disadvantages. And compared to Ubisoft's obnoxious and criminally restrictive DRM, this is great.

if you dont want drm, youll have to stop playing games period.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
That doesn't look intrusive or restrictive at all, especially the part where they are considering removing it after 18-24 months. This is surprisingly reasonable, especially when compared to "certain other" recent DRM methods...
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts
very reasonable. install limits ae fine as long as i can get installs back easily (the biggest thing wrong with EAs spore protection initally). internet only needed for activation and your off. no constant internet connection required no chance of server dropping and kicking you out of the middle of a game same as above if your internet connection goes down. just a quick register and your off and you have the tools needed to get an install back if something goes wrong or if you just want to remove it....even fi your PC goes completly belly up. hopefully ubi are taking notes (and the hacker crowd leaves this reasonable DRM alone.....fat chance of that happening mind).
Anarchist-TKC-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Anarchist-TKC-1
[QUOTE="Royas"]

[QUOTE="Anarchist-TKC-1"]I understand this is a different DRM, but from first hand expierence of UBI's, I'm keeping away from them for sure. Why bother putting a DRM in the first place if these guys are going to remove it at a later date?!TerrorRizzing

You know I'm talking about the DRM's that prevents activation / single player / multi player due to servers being down. Hell even STEAM has gone offline/updated in the middle of a game.
RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

I'm taking a 'wait and see' approach to this Uniloc DRM.

It doesn't say anywhere in that FAQ whether it installs any software on your PC in the background, where and how it might be installed, how it might affect other programs on your PC, whether or not it's uninstalled when you uninstall the game, etc. Those are the kinds of problems I had with SecuROM 7.xx in the past, so I'm dubious about any new kinds of copy protection methods until they are proved safe.

Royas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Royas
Member since 2002 • 1448 Posts

[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"][QUOTE="Royas"]

Anarchist-TKC-1

You know I'm talking about the DRM's that prevents activation / single player / multi player due to servers being down. Hell even STEAM has gone offline/updated in the middle of a game.

Sorry, no I didn't know that. You werne't at all clear on that point in your original post. You said DRM, I assumed you meant, well, DRM. Not online DRM.

Another thing that is different about this announcement is their willingness to commit to removing the DRM eventually. Personally, I think 18-24 months is way too long (even Starforce's creators recommend 6 months, that's more than enough to nix the day one piracy) but most of the time you get a bunch of "maybes" and "we'll consider it". SEGA flat out said that they will patch it out in the future. I wish they'd give a more solid date, but at least they gave a time frame and a solid "we are going to do it" statement. Compare that to Ubisoft's wishy-washy, whiny statements about their DRM, and you'll see a clear difference.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

Online activation for single player games is never acceptable to me. You all shouldn't let your rights be so easily trampled. Having to activate online in order to play offline gaming is outrageous. Always has been, always will be.

NLahren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#21 NLahren
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts
great solution
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="Anarchist-TKC-1"][QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"] if you dont want drm, youll have to stop playing games period.Royas

Sorry, no I didn't know that. You werne't at all clear on that point in your original post. You said DRM, I assumed you meant, well, DRM. Not online DRM.

Another thing that is different about this announcement is their willingness to commit to removing the DRM eventually. Personally, I think 18-24 months is way too long (even Starforce's creators recommend 6 months, that's more than enough to nix the day one piracy) but most of the time you get a bunch of "maybes" and "we'll consider it". SEGA flat out said that they will patch it out in the future. I wish they'd give a more solid date, but at least they gave a time frame and a solid "we are going to do it" statement. Compare that to Ubisoft's wishy-washy, whiny statements about their DRM, and you'll see a clear difference.

i don't believe in day 1 piracy (I think the term comes from that somewhat silly article people keep bringing up), console games ship big numbers day one because they are still 99% retail. PC market is completely different, there is lots of digital distribution and top selling pc games have a much larger shelf life. The makers of these drm schemes are probably laughing at the publishers, their drm stops nearly nobody. At the same time, I dont mind online activation, its not a big deal.

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
Another pointless DRM...It's not well spent money developers...
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ChiliDragon

Online activation for single player games is never acceptable to me. You all shouldn't let your rights be so easily trampled. Having to activate online in order to play offline gaming is outrageous. Always has been, always will be.

Falconoffury
From a purely practical standpoint, a one-time online activation that doesn't require you to stay online is no more of an inconvenience than having to go online to download a patch.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
Since when did any DRM become tolerable?
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
That does sound reasonable.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Smashing, all companies should do that, unlike ubisoft.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dakan45
Since when did any DRM become tolerable?shakmaster13
Since ubisoft's drm ;)
kimkim01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kimkim01
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts

No DRM is going to stop me from getting this game!

Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

I think what speaks volumes about this information is what they DON'T tell you. Now I have no problem with this Uniloc jobbie, if they must have limited activations then they must also allow me do deactivate my installs (which they have done). However what they haven't bothered to tell us is what DRM system are they using with GFWL.

The GFWL service contains more DRM and they aren't telling us which version they are using. The GFWL service uses two different types of DRM, there is SSA which links the cd key to your gamer tag and can never be unlinked (very few games use this). Then there is non-SSA DRM (used by most games such as GTA 4 etc) which does not link your cd key to your gamer tag but comes with 15 life time activations once all 15 are used up you have to contact MS and beg to be able to play your game.

So this is another skipper to me, I refuse to touch any Games For Windows Live titles for various reasons as well as the hidden drm I have just stated.

spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 spiderman120988
This isn't a Games for Windows LIVE game, it's a Games for Windows game but DOES NOT integrate LIVE in it. I think you can rest easy!
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TerrorRizzing
This isn't a Games for Windows LIVE game, it's a Games for Windows game but DOES NOT integrate LIVE in it. I think you can rest easy!spiderman120988
thanks for clearing that up lol, some people always fear the worse. Myself, I love obsidian, especially the work that some of the team did when they were in black isle.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ChiliDragon
Since when did any DRM become tolerable?shakmaster13
All games have DRM of some kind, and most of it is perfectly tolerable and unnoticeable. It's the over-intrusive draconic DRM, that for example forces you to have an internet connection at all times to be able to play, that is a pain. A simple request to "please verify that you purchased this legally" is perfectly fine by me. Artists and developers have a right to protect their bottom line, just like anyone else.
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#34 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
I think this is fantastic. It's way better than Ubi and EA's crap which means once they take down their servers you have a useless game (legally). This actually gives me some hope.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ChiliDragon
Of course, now we all need to go buy the game, to show the market that we like this DRM model and that if they want to sell more, this is what they should use, right? :P Oh no. I have to buy Alpha Protocol now. Woe is me. Woe is me! :D
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Just saw this on kotaku, looks pretty good to me, espescially the future pass to remove DRM
Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

This isn't a Games for Windows LIVE game, it's a Games for Windows game but DOES NOT integrate LIVE in it. I think you can rest easy!spiderman120988

My mistake I was under the assumption this had multiplayer so it would be using the GFWL service to facilitate that. I don't necessarily have a problem with the GFW branding after all it doesn't actually do anything other than establish a few standards that most devs can ignore :P oh yeah and puts an ugly header on game boxes which is irrelevant to me since I buy my stuff from steam.

I was having a read around about this Uniloc protection and it does give you a decent amount of control over the activations. I believe you can even get activations back if you end up formatting your OS. I think some publishers are FINALLY understanding where their customers are coming from. I am not against having limits but it is only right and proper I have the tools at hand to control and manage these limits.

I can't say I am majorly hyped for this title though, looking at some of the gameplay videos it didn't come across as something I would enjoy playing. So I will wait to see what the reviews say about it first. However kudos to Sega and obsidian for showing a smattering of intelligence with regard to their DRM

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#39 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

This DRM is very acceptable imo. Especially since they said that they will completely remove it sometime after release.

And personally, I prefer one-time online activation to always having to put the disc in drive (and with horrible copy protection that kills my hardware - StarForce I'm looking at you) or having to look up words in the manual like back in the 3.5 floppy days. It's just a one-time activation and that's it. Honestly, no offense but if you're a PC gamer and don't have ANY access to internet in this day and age you're doing something really wrong. Or living in a very, very poor country. Which would make me question how you'd have the hardware to run the game anyway.

In any case, it doesn't bother me at all. The only bad thing is that it gives some "hardcore PC gamers" a nice excuse to pirate the game instead of buying it. :roll:

gashoe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#40 gashoe13
Member since 2007 • 511 Posts

It's alright, I guess. Much better, than, say, Assassin's Creed 2 or Splinter Cell Conviction. At least you don't need constant internet access....

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dakan45

It's alright, I guess. Much better, than, say, Assassin's Creed 2 or Splinter Cell Conviction. At least you don't need constant internet access....

gashoe13
Its much better than that, they even gonna remove the drm after a while.
Bigsteve3570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bigsteve3570
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts
Ubisoft did the unthinkable and made us accept other forms of DRM now that we know how bad it really can get.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dakan45
Ubisoft did the unthinkable and made us accept other forms of DRM now that we know how bad it really can get.Bigsteve3570
unthinkable indeed. Now that we know everything else seems fine.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TerrorRizzing

Ubisoft did the unthinkable and made us accept other forms of DRM now that we know how bad it really can get.Bigsteve3570
most of us have accepted drm, even consoles have drm. Soon you will have to pay extra to play online if you didnt buy the game new on console. This on top of the fact that all consoles have built in drm.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dakan45

[QUOTE="Bigsteve3570"]Ubisoft did the unthinkable and made us accept other forms of DRM now that we know how bad it really can get.TerrorRizzing

most of us have accepted drm, even consoles have drm. Soon you will have to pay extra to play online if you didnt buy the game new on console. This on top of the fact that all consoles have built in drm.

Consoles have drm? What you mean?
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ChiliDragon
Technically anything that prevents the end user from putting the disk in a computer, copy the contents to another disk and play the copy in their console, can be considered drm. For Sony's consoles, region restrictions also come to mind...
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"]

[QUOTE="Bigsteve3570"]Ubisoft did the unthinkable and made us accept other forms of DRM now that we know how bad it really can get.dakan45

if there was no drm you could just burn a disc and play.

Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#48 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
Its a hell of a lot better than the PC version of Dark Void Zero.
chapman86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 chapman86
Member since 2004 • 583 Posts
So, the final questions is, will you not buy this game because of the DRM that it has?
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"] most of us have accepted drm, even consoles have drm. Soon you will have to pay extra to play online if you didnt buy the game new on console. This on top of the fact that all consoles have built in drm.

TerrorRizzing

if there was no drm you could just burn a disc and play.

Ahh, i am sorry i thought drm was online activations and such crap, i thought not being able to play a copy without a crack is "copy protection" like starforce.