This topic is locked from further discussion.

HerktheSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 HerktheSnake
Member since 2006 • 385 Posts
ok so i want an alienware really bad and i play loads of pc games. One of my friends said go for it but the majority of my friends said they are a waste of money. I trust the first friend more but i am still ify. please tell me what u guys think of alienware and if i should get one.
spierdalaj666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 spierdalaj666
Member since 2004 • 865 Posts

They're overpriced. If you don't mind spending $1000 extra on the brand name then get an alienware.

Since your friends seem to know a bit about computers, ask them to build you one and select the best parts for the best price.

If not, then try a dell, even dell is cheaper than alienware, or so i think.

skudoops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 skudoops
Member since 2007 • 61 Posts
make you own pc if you know how to. Or at least go with dell or something. Alienware is the biggest waste of money you can get as you can get a pc which is better than it for x2 less. Alienware you pay for a name not for parts.
Bass7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Bass7
Member since 2004 • 6614 Posts
Yeah, just build a new computer. Get some parts from Newegg (IMO they have the best prices). Plus they're always having sales and stuff. They are VERY reliable.
DarkRecruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 DarkRecruit
Member since 2005 • 3391 Posts

make you own pc if you know how to. Or at least go with dell or something. Alienware is the biggest waste of money you can get as you can get a pc which is better than it for x2 less. Alienware you pay for a name not for parts.skudoops

Alienware is owned by Dell..

bignice12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bignice12
Member since 2003 • 2124 Posts
Get the parts online then go to your local computer shop to have them put together if you dont have the balls to do it. It will still be way better than Alienwares overpriced stuff and you will probably have better peformance over it also.
HerktheSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HerktheSnake

it seems i should just build a pc but is it hard to build a laptop?(thats what i want btw)

spierdalaj666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 spierdalaj666
Member since 2004 • 865 Posts

it seems i should just build a pc but is it hard to build a laptop?(thats what i want btw)

HerktheSnake

I've never tried it so i can't advise you on the feasibility of doing it yourself. If you MUST get a laptop, which i wouldn't recommend for gaming myself, then go with dell, although be prepared to pay a hefty sum.

testingnorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 testingnorman
Member since 2005 • 282 Posts

I have an alienware ALX computer.

Cost me about $7500 with tax and shipping and everything.

Is it overpriced? Of course, actually by about 1.5k- 2kif you buy all the components and build it yourself.

Why you wouldbuy an alienware:

1.You don't haveto go through and order all the parts seperately and worry about compatibility andavailability.

2. You don't have to build it yourself.

3. The system (inside and out) looks extremely clean, the wiring and the cooling systemis done sounfamiliarly perfect. Hell, even the case looks cool.

4.Biggest reason is probably if you have the extra cash to spend.

bignice12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bignice12
Member since 2003 • 2124 Posts

1) That is easy if you research your parts ahead of time

2) Easy if you learn how to do it or you can have an experience person(computer store) build it for you

3) You can do that yourself if you know how to keep things clean or have someone do it for you once again

4) Your basically throwing away 2k dollars down the drain really.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58336 Posts

Theyre not overpriced, its sort of a contradiction since rigs are expensive to begin with.

I like to rationalize it this way:
You get what you pay for!

My first true gaming rig was an Alienware. I called them up, asked them a whole bunch of questions, and they were extremely polite and respectful even though I was pretending to know about stuff I didnt know about. After finding out what components I wanted and my budget range, I called them up and spoke to them again. I got a fairly good Pentium 3 rig for about 1200 dollars...washed a lot of dishes at work to get it! This was about 6 years ago fyi.

Alienware is by all means quality, and their customer support is top notch. Anyone who can afford them has no reason to regret paying for a PC from them. In addition, you can tailor the PC just the way you want it.

Of course my ultimate advice is to build your own, but Alienware PCs are extremely good, sexy, and well-supported.

Its a freaking PC! Sometimes you gotta belly up to the bar and just put the money down on some things...a PC is one of those things.

*I actually went there earlier today and tried to customize a rig as close as I could to the one I built myself. Ended up only costing 500 dollars more! Sure, thats half a grand but I could easily rationlize that a warranty and the state-of-mind knowing it was built by an actual professional is worth it.

ballasteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 ballasteve
Member since 2007 • 461 Posts
alright guys he says he wants a LAPTOP which will be a **** to build so to the OP, i would go with alienware. alienwares laptops are the best around, and theyre actually cheaper than some of the other brands (voodoo? ugh) i have an m9700 notebook, which i love and use all the time. its one of the most sturdy pieces of machinery ive ever bought. so i guess what im trying to say is, dont go with aw if youregettinga desktop(build it), but for gaming notebooks, aw is the best way to go
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrbojangles25

Oh a laptop? my bad didnt read that

Can you even build laptops? (just curious)

ballasteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ballasteve

Oh a laptop? my bad didnt read that

Can you even build laptops? (just curious)

mrbojangles25

yes, but its rediculously hard to find parts for it, so in the long run its better to just buy from a vendor

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mrbojangles25

Why do you want a laptop? Im just curious.

The way I see it laptops are for those short periods of time you are away from home and you need to get some work done, such as word processing or checking internet stocks or something. If you are really bored, why not get a magazine or a book? Its cheap, light, and if it gets stolen you can say "oh well, only 7 dollars down the drain"

Sorry, but unless youre a student (and even then its doubtful) or a traveling worker, you dont need a laptop imo.

Go for a desktop, theyre easily upgradeable as well.

skudoops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 skudoops
Member since 2007 • 61 Posts

[QUOTE="skudoops"]make you own pc if you know how to. Or at least go with dell or something. Alienware is the biggest waste of money you can get as you can get a pc which is better than it for x2 less. Alienware you pay for a name not for parts.DarkRecruit

I know this. But would you like to compare the price of an XPS to an equivalent alienware
ballasteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ballasteve
[QUOTE="DarkRecruit"]

[QUOTE="skudoops"]make you own pc if you know how to. Or at least go with dell or something. Alienware is the biggest waste of money you can get as you can get a pc which is better than it for x2 less. Alienware you pay for a name not for parts.skudoops

I know this. But would you like to compare the price of an XPS to an equivalent alienware

mmm. you can get a full out m1710(dell)(4299$, 2.33 core2 duo, 512mb geforce go7950, 2gb ram, etc) Or you can get an m9750(aw) with 2X 7950's in SLI for the exact same price (4299$, same specs but with 2x graphics cards) soooooo........?

theG168

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 theG168
Member since 2005 • 3526 Posts
Build your own with Dell...
RPhilMan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RPhilMan1
Member since 2004 • 237 Posts
Don't get me started on Alienware. I had a HORRIBLE experience with them. I bought an Area-51M in 2005 and it was the biggest piece I've ever seen. Basically, in its one-year life, I had to send it back to Alienware in Miami five different times. The motherboard alone was replaced three times, the graphics card once, and the LCD screen once. It was the biggest hassle I've ever had.

On top of that, Alienware said they would extend the one-year warranty for free. Once the warranty was up, they denied saying that and that was that. Now it sits, once again broken, collecting dust in my closet while I enjoy my Dell XPS desktop that I have had ZERO problems with in eight months.

Overall, DON'T ever purchase a gaming laptop. They get hot and gaming and laptops just don't mix. Secondly, Alienware customer service is crap.

If you are uncomfortable with building a machine yourself, Dell has a great XPS line and their products are trustworthy. I could have built my own rig but I chose to go with Dell because of the great warranty (four years free) and the price was amazing, too. They have great deals right now and around Christmas.

Good luck.

Disco_Joe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Disco_Joe
Member since 2004 • 110 Posts
If you change your computer hardware, does that void your warranty?
HerktheSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HerktheSnake

i want a laptop cuz i have a lot of LAN parties with my friends and a laptop is easier to cary back and forth between all their houses. it just a thing we do i know we can just play online with eachother.

DarkRecruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DarkRecruit

If you change your computer hardware, does that void your warranty?Disco_Joe

Yea just opening the case voids the warranty. There's a sticker on the case that if you open the case it tears, you can't use your warranty if the sticker is broken.

ballasteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ballasteve

[QUOTE="Disco_Joe"]If you change your computer hardware, does that void your warranty?DarkRecruit

Yea just opening the case voids the warranty. There's a sticker on the case that if you open the case it tears, you can't use your warranty if the sticker is broken.

but, on the upside, if your pc craps out, you can just fix it yourself, and you dont have to send it back:D

Xraydon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Xraydon
Member since 2005 • 1227 Posts

Theyre not overpriced, its sort of a contradiction since rigs are expensive to begin with.

I like to rationalize it this way:
You get what you pay for!

My first true gaming rig was an Alienware. I called them up, asked them a whole bunch of questions, and they were extremely polite and respectful even though I was pretending to know about stuff I didnt know about. After finding out what components I wanted and my budget range, I called them up and spoke to them again. I got a fairly good Pentium 3 rig for about 1200 dollars...washed a lot of dishes at work to get it! This was about 6 years ago fyi.

Alienware is by all means quality, and their customer support is top notch. Anyone who can afford them has no reason to regret paying for a PC from them. In addition, you can tailor the PC just the way you want it.

Of course my ultimate advice is to build your own, but Alienware PCs are extremely good, sexy, and well-supported.

Its a freaking PC! Sometimes you gotta belly up to the bar and just put the money down on some things...a PC is one of those things.

*I actually went there earlier today and tried to customize a rig as close as I could to the one I built myself. Ended up only costing 500 dollars more! Sure, thats half a grand but I could easily rationlize that a warranty and the state-of-mind knowing it was built by an actual professional is worth it.

mrbojangles25

Finally a voice of reason. I agree with all of what you said. Mine only cost me a couple hundred more than building it myself. I tire of hearing posters say you will waste thousands of dollars. It has been a quality rig since I bought it. Easy to upgrade and Ihave hadno problems with it. However I would think twice about doing it again. Seems like their reputation has been slipping since Dell bought them

Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts

i want a laptop cuz i have a lot of LAN parties with my friends and a laptop is easier to cary back and forth between all their houses. it just a thing we do i know we can just play online with eachother.

HerktheSnake

I know a few years ago they started making the LAN boxes. I always thought it was pretty cool idea for people who do the LAN party thing. If you want an example of one look at the Fragbox from Falcon Northwest. That with a flat panel monitor is much cooler (and would be much better for gaming) than a laptop.

Anyhow, I bought an Alienware a few years ago (6 or 7). It was a pretty good PC though a bit noisy. Later when I needed a new PC I went through Vicious PC (no longer in business) because they were quite a bit cheaper than the big names and were receiving good reviews. It's been just as good of a system. These days, if I was going to pay extra for a name, I'd go with Falcon Northwest. Plus, if you really have the cash to throw around you can get a paint job.

But, honestly, I'd just build my own. You learn a lot more and putting one together it's not too different than round peg goes into round hole. It's pretty hard to mess up unless you buy something that's incompatible with your mobo. Plus, there's a wealth of resources on the net to assist you with building a system with no conflicts.

Myrkan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Myrkan
Member since 2004 • 1304 Posts

go to cyberpowerpc.com, choose the AMD or Intel custom build configurator, you will be able to buy an X2/core2duo/quad core 2900XT/8800GTS/GTX/Ultra, 2-4 gigs of RAM for much less than an Alienware...if you want to buy a real hardcore gaming rig, expect to pay around $1,500, but honestly thats nothing compared to the thousands of dollars you'll spend on an Alienware, go compare for yourself...just my recommendation.

RPhilMan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RPhilMan1
Member since 2004 • 237 Posts

[QUOTE="Disco_Joe"]If you change your computer hardware, does that void your warranty?DarkRecruit

Neither my old Alienware nor my current Dell has a sticker, so I'm not sure what you are talking about... unless you were sarcastic.

Plus the manual even recommends opening the case to clean from dust, which I do every two or three months.

DarkRecruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DarkRecruit
[QUOTE="DarkRecruit"]

[QUOTE="Disco_Joe"]If you change your computer hardware, does that void your warranty?RPhilMan1

Neither my old Alienware nor my current Dell has a sticker, so I'm not sure what you are talking about... unless you were sarcastic.

Plus the manual even recommends opening the case to clean from dust, which I do every two or three months.

Not being sarcastis,all Gateways and Emachine ones have one.

chester706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 chester706
Member since 2007 • 3856 Posts
Build PC=Win. My uncle is going to build my PC for me (I dont know how to and he has built about 10 of them) once I buy all the parts I want in my PC and I will hand it over to him. I did the math and its is soooo much cheaper. Also you can overclock it yourself with no extra charge. I would recommend that route. That is Desktop though. You want a laptop? I am not sure. You are going to have to pay alot.
henri1960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 henri1960
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
alienware are too expensive
xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points