AGP graphics card???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Toyeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Toyeboy
Member since 2005 • 1133 Posts

I've gota P4 2.67ghz with 768mb ddr ram, I have a VERY old card in there currently, a geforce 4 4200 8x agp, I'm usually a console gamer but I recently bought a few older computer games...far cry, NFS underground 2, doom 3..maybe carbon or most wanted etc... they run pretty slow with my card so I'm wondering if I would see some big improvements in these older games with a 7600 gs or gt, I can get a pretty good deal on one @ neweggthe link below has all the AGP ones I'm considering, I'd like to get the XFX 7600gt 256mb ram, or should I get one of the others on that site....is my processor good enough for decent framerates on a few newer games??

oh yeah....will my 350 watt PSU handle my specs with a 7600 gs or gt?? thanks!!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1069609639+106790717&Configurator=&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=7600

Cahota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Cahota
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts

7600GT is the best card for your PC. Any faster card can't workwith full power with your cpu.. And 7600GT need about 30-40 Watts - your PSU is enough. Just buy any cheap 7600GT (maybe XFX isn't the cheapest version..) and have fun :)

Toyeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Toyeboy
Alright thanks for the reply...my only other question is about connecting the card to the power supply, my current card runs off of the agp slot without any excess power needed so I'm a little new to this. The way I understand it, all I'd need to do is hook up the 7600 to a spare hard drive hook up? Is this correct?
Toyeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Toyeboy
Bump
ThE_SoCK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ThE_SoCK
Member since 2003 • 459 Posts

P4s are crappy for PC gaming. I'd recommend making an upgrade to a dual core. Going the amd route, AM2 mobo core gives u dual core compatibility and ur future proof with amd's new procs.

getting a better video card wouldnt increase ur framerates that much because ur CPU is bottlenecking the overall performance.

Toyeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Toyeboy

P4s are crappy for PC gaming. I'd recommend making an upgrade to a dual core. Going the amd route, AM2 mobo core gives u dual core compatibility and ur future proof with amd's new procs.

getting a better video card wouldnt increase ur framerates that much because ur CPU is bottlenecking the overall performance.

ThE_SoCK

I know the P4 isn't the cutting edge technology, BUT with the games I've mentioned, I've been told that a new cardwould help them quite a bit. I most likely wouldn't buy any newer games I just want to play the ones I have at a little higher framerates/settings...games from 2003 aren't made for the dual core processors anyway so I really don't think my 2.6ghz P4 is going tobe to muchof a bottleneckwith a 7600gt... and I'd rather buy a new computer than upgrade my motherboard and cpu, it'd be cheaper with betterperformance in the end(I actually may do that instead).

But can anyone clarify the power dongle question I had earlier in this thread.

Dancing_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dancing_Panda
Member since 2007 • 812 Posts
[QUOTE="ThE_SoCK"]

Toyeboy

I know the P4 isn't the cutting edge technology, BUT with the games I've mentioned, I've been told that a new cardwould help them quite a bit. I most likely wouldn't buy any newer games I just want to play the ones I have at a little higher framerates/settings...games from 2003 aren't made for the dual core processors anyway so I really don't think my 2.6ghz P4 is going tobe to muchof a bottleneckwith a 7600gt... and I'd rather buy a new computer than upgrade my motherboard and cpu, it'd be cheaper with betterperformance in the end(I actually may do that instead).

But can anyone clarify the power dongle question I had earlier in this thread.

Yes you are correct you sometimes do need to plug in a 4 pin (HDD) power cable but all u do is just plug it in ur card and it only goes in one way. With a 7600gt i see no reason why you cant play all your games on high (except maybe doom 3 but then again i played this on nice settings with a 7300gs so u should be fine), btw another worthwhile upgrade would be to buy 2 x 512mb pc3200 ddr ram as a gb of ram is a good number, but this isnt essential and 768 would prolly be sufficient.

kodex1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kodex1717
Member since 2005 • 5925 Posts
I doubt that anything above a 7600GS/T would bottleneck on a P4. Even if it did, you get free AA and higher-resolutions for the same FPS. I'd go for a X1950PRO if you don't want to upgrade for a while. The 7600GT isn't going to run newer games on High. Not stock anyways.
Avatar image for snakeyedmexican
snakeyedmexican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 snakeyedmexican
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
i would not get the 7600 gs, my friend got one and it was junk. never used the gt. but the 6000 series ran good with those games. if you got a 6800 ultra all those games would run fine. on max settings too.
Toyeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Toyeboy
Thanks for the responses! I'm most likely going to get the XFX 7600 GT with 256mbram for $99, that's a good deal for agp considering the GT's were $150 a few months ago...I'm just wondering, is 256 mb of memory good enough for the games I've mentioned, like would it be overkill to spend $50 more and get a 7600gs with 512 mb ram?
corky842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 corky842
Member since 2004 • 257 Posts

would it be overkill to spend $50 more and get a 7600gs with 512 mb ram?Toyeboy

Yes. The GS has a slower clock speed than the GT, and that makes the biggest difference in performance. I don't think any game will use 512MB of video memory, at least not any game that the 7600GS would be able to handle. Spend it on RAM, 1GB is around $50.

Toyeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Toyeboy

[QUOTE="Toyeboy"]would it be overkill to spend $50 more and get a 7600gs with 512 mb ram?corky842

Yes. The GS has a slower clock speed than the GT, and that makes the biggest difference in performance. I don't think any game will use 512MB of video memory, at least not any game that the 7600GS would be able to handle. Spend it on RAM, 1GB is around $50.

Alright, that's what I thought...b/c the 7600gt's clock speed is 580mhz where the gs is 400mhz. Now about the ram, my 768 mb ram is ddr 333mhz PC2700, it's what my PC came with, can I replace it with 1 gb of faster ram or would I have to use PC2700? and you probably can't mix different types I'm guessing??

Dancing_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dancing_Panda
Member since 2007 • 812 Posts
if u mix diff. speeds the faster ram will slow down to the slower rams' speed