Activision the new pariah of PC gaming?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jamyskis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 jamyskis
Member since 2004 • 779 Posts

You've gotta hand it to Electronic Arts. The one-time pariah of PC gaming seems to have at least partly fixed up its rep in less than a year. John Riccitello has pretty much disappeared from the limelight, and what he has been saying has been sensible, showing a little more respect for its consumers. It has started using more sensible, realistic and usable DRM, enabling customers to play its PC titles for years to come. Someone obviously grew a brain there.

So has this made Robert Kotick and Activision the new pariahs of PC gaming, especially with the recent Modern Warfare 2 debacle and Kotick's comments about intellectual property? When was the last time they produced anything innovative with the exception of Guitar Hero (which they have since exploited to death)?

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

As long as Kotick is with Activision then no.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#4 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
A pariah is someone who is rejected. The last thing I heard was that all the supposed "boycotters" were busy thoroughly playing MW2 so they will learn never to do it again!! God bless us all Tiny Tim!!
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

A pariah is an outcast. EA pretty much defines PC gaming. It's the complete opposite of a pariah.

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

EA pretty much defines PC gaming.

Gog

:? What?

Aslyum_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Aslyum_Beast
Member since 2008 • 975 Posts

A pariah is an outcast. EA pretty much defines PC gaming. It's the complete opposite of a pariah.

Gog

Er, this statement confuses me. I thought Valve and Bioware defined PC gaming... not EA..

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

[QUOTE="Gog"]

Aslyum_Beast

Er, this statement confuses me. I thought Valve and Bioware defined PC gaming... not EA..

EA supports PC gaming more than BioWare does to be honest. The majority of EA's exclusives are PC.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

You've gotta hand it to Electronic Arts. The one-time pariah of PC gaming seems to have at least partly fixed up its rep in less than a year. John Riccitello has pretty much disappeared from the limelight, and what he has been saying has been sensible, showing a little more respect for its consumers. It has started using more sensible, realistic and usable DRM, enabling customers to play its PC titles for years to come. Someone obviously grew a brain there.

So has this made Robert Kotick and Activision the new pariahs of PC gaming, especially with the recent Modern Warfare 2 debacle and Kotick's comments about intellectual property? When was the last time they produced anything innovative with the exception of Guitar Hero (which they have since exploited to death)?

jamyskis

Infinty Ward is my new Pariah of PC gaming. When I read that interview where they said that the only reason COD 2 was on PC was because of Activision (Infinity Ward wanted 360 only) and how the horrible changes that got made to MW2 were Infinity Ward's choices, well I have to say they are the real problem more than Activision.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
[QUOTE="Aslyum_Beast"]

[QUOTE="Gog"]

mo0ksi

EA supports PC gaming more than BioWare does to be honest. The majority of EA's exclusives are PC.

that is true. EA is the largest supporter of the PC platform.
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

[QUOTE="Gog"]EA pretty much defines PC gaming.

Mograine

:? What?

Seeing as EA is one ofthe main publishers of PC games including some of the most successful franchises, sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
[QUOTE="Aslyum_Beast"]

[QUOTE="Gog"]

mo0ksi

EA OWNS Bioware.
Aslyum_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Aslyum_Beast
Member since 2008 • 975 Posts

EA OWNS Bioware.kieranb2000

Best use of caps ever. (no, im being serious. No troll trying here.) i guess we are both right is some kind of way....?

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PublicNuisance

EA supports PC gaming more than BioWare does to be honest. The majority of EA's exclusives are PC.kieranb2000
EA OWNS Bioware.

Yes they do but it isn't right to hand all of Bioware's accomplishments over to EA seeing as EA has only owned them for less than 2 years and Bioware has been making awesome PC games for much longer than that. Actually since being owned by EA Bioware hasn't made any PC exclusives, draw from that what you will.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

[QUOTE="kieranb2000"]EA OWNS Bioware.PublicNuisance

Yes they do but it isn't right to hand all of Bioware's accomplishments over to EA seeing as EA has only owned them for less than 2 years and Bioware has been making awesome PC games for much longer than that. Actually since being owned by EA Bioware hasn't made any PC exclusives, draw from that what you will.

You can't really draw anything from that, as Bioware hadn't made any PC exclusives for many years before being bought by EA either. And in fact, we probably wouldn't have gotten Mass Effect if they hadn't been bought by EA.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PublicNuisance

You can't really draw anything from that, as Bioware hadn't made any PC exclusives for many years before being bought by EA either. And in fact, we probably wouldn't have gotten Mass Effect if they hadn't been bought by EA.kieranb2000

Fair enough but why should EA get credit for the likes of baldur's gate and Neverwinter Nights when they had nothing to do with it ? All I am saying is that Bioware did many great things before EA bought them.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SF_KiLLaMaN

the point is that EA is the single most important publisher in PC gaming. Sure there are many other great PC publishers and devs but none of them have put the time and money into the PC like EA has.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Well first it was EA that messed with pc gaming now its Activision, ask me things will clear up in some years just like EA.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

[QUOTE="mo0ksi"][QUOTE="Aslyum_Beast"]

kieranb2000

EA OWNS Bioware.

I know. But EA still shows better support as a publisher and developer. Just sayin'.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

I thought Blizzard defined PC gaming. :V

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SF_KiLLaMaN

pvtdonut54

I don't own a single Blizzard PC game but I own 10 EA PC games. No Blizzard games interest me and Blizzard doesn't make as many games for PC as EA does.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#23 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I've always liked EA compared to other game companies that often give the PC the back seat. They only ever did one thing i didn't like, which was the silly DRM's, but whatever, no big deal. I still remember how they released all the good Medal of Honor titles (save Frontlines) as PC exclusives, and never ported them to any consoles. While as developers they havent been as good lately, they sure have supported a lot of the best PC franchises over the years (Battlefield, Crysis, Bioware games).

It seems like Activision has mostly been a supporter of console games, and COD1 was anomalous in its pc exclusivity.

blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 blade55555
Member since 2005 • 1116 Posts
A pariah is someone who is rejected. The last thing I heard was that all the supposed "boycotters" were busy thoroughly playing MW2 so they will learn never to do it again!! God bless us all Tiny Tim!! biggest_loser
I didn't buy it or anything but most of the boycotters failed at saying what they would do sadly.
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts

[QUOTE="pvtdonut54"]

SF_KiLLaMaN

I don't own a single Blizzard PC game but I own 10 EA PC games. No Blizzard games interest me and Blizzard doesn't make as many games for PC as EA does.

Wait...Dude, you're about to get shot from many directions...
devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts

A pariah is someone who is rejected. The last thing I heard was that all the supposed "boycotters" were busy thoroughly playing MW2 so they will learn never to do it again!! God bless us all Tiny Tim!! biggest_loser
well in other news

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27113603&tag=topics;title

The Mp has indeed been cracked..heck some dont even require steam to be installed...the truth is out there

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dakan45

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]A pariah is someone who is rejected. The last thing I heard was that all the supposed "boycotters" were busy thoroughly playing MW2 so they will learn never to do it again!! God bless us all Tiny Tim!! devious742

well in other news

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27113603&tag=topics;title

The Mp has indeed been cracked..heck some dont even require steam to be installed...the truth is out there

Explain me this: MW2 steam boycotters were playing the game and it was showing up in their steam status. So if you need steam for legit copies, then how the hell did the steam boycotters play the game? There you go, steam boycotters did bought the game, therefore biggest losser's post is valid indeed.

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 devious742

[QUOTE="devious742"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]A pariah is someone who is rejected. The last thing I heard was that all the supposed "boycotters" were busy thoroughly playing MW2 so they will learn never to do it again!! God bless us all Tiny Tim!! dakan45

well in other news

Explain me this: MW2 steam boycotters were playing the game and it was showing up in their steam status. So if you need steam for legit copies, then how the hell did the steam boycotters play the game? There you go, steam boycotters did bought the game, therefore biggest losser's post is valid indeed.

well maybe they did IDK :P but i remember hearing that those ppl that were playing MW2 on the boycott list...joined just to make the group look dumb(i heard this on the main boycott page)..btw werent the kicked out?

Link

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dakan45

well maybe they did IDK :P but i remember hearing that those ppl that were playing MW2 on the boycott list...joined just to make the group look dumb(i heard this on the main boycott page)..btw werent the kicked out

Link

devious742

Yup, lol its funny as hell for 3 reasons

1) That happen at the time the game came out but those people were already in the boycott group before the release of the game. I cant believe they joined just because it was their evil genious masterpiece plan to make the boycott look bad by buying the game afterwards. If anything they contribute to the number of the boycotters.

2)Its funny how the creator of the boyccot is calling them hypocrites and kicking them out ater his boycott group failed

3) Its funny because one of the comment poster says underneath "People seen playing mw2 will be removed? Dood half your freaking clan members are playing WTH you talking about?"

I loled with the amout of fail. ( I used WTH because i cant use the other obvious expression the poster used)

Not that i am trying to annoy you or something, just saying its pretty funny how much that boycott grou has been repeteadly marked as a fail.

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

[QUOTE="pvtdonut54"]

SF_KiLLaMaN

blizzard does something that ea doesn't, they actually develop a game until its completely ready for public consumption. thats why they dont have as many games......that and they dont have franchises for frat boys like madden, nba, or ncaa

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 devious742

[QUOTE="devious742"]

well maybe they did IDK :P but i remember hearing that those ppl that were playing MW2 on the boycott list...joined just to make the group look dumb(i heard this on the main boycott page)..btw werent the kicked out

Link

dakan45

Yup, lol its funny as hell for 3 reasons

1) That happen at the time the game came out but those people were already in the boycott group before the release of the game. I cant believe they joined just because it was their evil genious masterpiece plan to make the boycott look bad by buying the game afterwards. If anything they contribute to the number of the boycotters.(well cmon wouldnt it be funny..to join the group knowing you bought then play it..its all done for the lulz )

2)Its funny how the creator of the boyccot is calling them hypocrites and kicking them out ater his boycott group failed

3) Its funny because one of the comment poster says underneath "People seen playing mw2 will be removed? Dood half your freaking clan members are playing WTH you talking about?"

I loled with the amout of fail. ( I used WTH because i cant use the other obvious expression the poster used)

Not that i am trying to annoy you or something, just saying its pretty funny how much that boycott grou has been repeteadly marked as a fail.

no man its cool.. :) believe or not this is fun ..arguing. but dont forget the other comments:

"hahahah excellent. what a bunch of ***** for joining this group THEN BUYING IT! Sense making fail."

"3 more are playin' right now. Time to clean the group for a little."

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
Good points TC, I noticed Activision has improved quite a bit over the past few years.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SF_KiLLaMaN

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]

[QUOTE="pvtdonut54"]

lpjazzman220

blizzard does something that ea doesn't, they actually develop a game until its completely ready for public consumption. thats why they dont have as many games......that and they dont have franchises for frat boys like madden, nba, or ncaa

I don't own a single sports game. And at least EA doesn't make a game and charge a monthly fee to play it. But you're right, why would blizzard make more games when they can just milk the hell out of World of Warcraft?

I would take Crysis, The Sims Series, Battlefield series, and command and conquer series over any Blizzard game anyday.

I did enjoy playing Diablo 2 though, I played it at a friends house.

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

A) WoW sucks.....

B) i haven't played an EA game that was really that good, with the exception of Mass Effect and Bad Company 2, since back in the medal of honor glory days....then cod and activision stole that thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

A) WoW sucks.....

B) i haven't played an EA game that was really that good, with the exception of Mass Effect and Bad Company 2, since back in the medal of honor glory days....then cod and activision stole that thunder

lpjazzman220

Mirror's Edge, the CnC games, Crysis, Burnout Paradise, etc.

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

I've always liked EA compared to other game companies that often give the PC the back seat. They only ever did one thing i didn't like, which was the silly DRM's, but whatever, no big deal. I still remember how they released all the good Medal of Honor titles (save Frontlines) as PC exclusives, and never ported them to any consoles. While as developers they havent been as good lately, they sure have supported a lot of the best PC franchises over the years (Battlefield, Crysis, Bioware games).

It seems like Activision has mostly been a supporter of console games, and COD1 was anomalous in its pc exclusivity.

with_teeth26

I like a lot of EA's games, as well. One of the first games I ever fell in love with was Racing Destruction Set -- it was a game for the Commodore 64 made by EA. Very fun game for its time.

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
Crysis is not an EA game, they also make a game with a monthly fee... WAR. As for the topic in question, I don't know about a pariah. But I would say Activision could be called the New EA... EA does make and publish a lot of good games, and lately have shown they are willing to listen to customers if they make a loud enough noise...
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SF_KiLLaMaN

Crysis is not an EA gameCaptain__Tripps
EA published Crysis......

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

[QUOTE="Captain__Tripps"]Crysis is not an EA gameSF_KiLLaMaN

I am aware of that, but I don't really think it belongs in the same category of the other games listed, since they don't make it and its not their IP.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SF_KiLLaMaN
[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]

[QUOTE="Captain__Tripps"]Crysis is not an EA gameCaptain__Tripps

I am aware of that, but I don't really think it belongs in the same category of the other games listed, since they don't make it and its not their IP.

fair enough.
k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts
EA and its affiliates will save PC gaming.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

[QUOTE="lpjazzman220"]

A) WoW sucks.....

kieranb2000

Mirror's Edge, the CnC games, Crysis, Burnout Paradise, etc.

...plus the Simcity series and a few Need for Speeds...
jamyskis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 jamyskis
Member since 2004 • 779 Posts

I really can't speak for any of the so-called "boycotters" around the world, but I can say that I promised that I wouldn't buy MW2 as long as it was Steam-contaminated and I've stuck to that, as have most of my PC gaming colleagues (bar two). In fact, I've used Steam for two things - trying it out with my ancient copy of Half-Life and Last Remnant. LR confirmed all the fears I had about Steam, I haven't bought a Steam game since.

badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts
EA sports ? :P
tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts

[QUOTE="devious742"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]A pariah is someone who is rejected. The last thing I heard was that all the supposed "boycotters" were busy thoroughly playing MW2 so they will learn never to do it again!! God bless us all Tiny Tim!! dakan45

well in other news

ok i've decide i have to say this its buy please remember this in the future

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46673 Posts

I personally boycot the latest 'big' activision releases. Wolfenstein had a very good SP but a terrible MP (MP being the reason I kept playing RTCW) so I didn't buy it. COD:MW2 looked pretty much the same as the first Modern Warfare (to be frank every COD has been the same since the first one). Since I didn't like the MP of the first MW and am only interested in the SP of MW2 I won't buy it because I'm not shelling out €50 for a 4hour campaign.

That being said I disagree with what you said TC about Guitar Hero being innovative. What's so innovative in GH ? It's exactly the same as DDR. And even that isn't that innovative because every game is about pushing the right button at the right time.

dmcguk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dmcguk
Member since 2006 • 134 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]A pariah is someone who is rejected. The last thing I heard was that all the supposed "boycotters" were busy thoroughly playing MW2 so they will learn never to do it again!! God bless us all Tiny Tim!! devious742

well in other news

Try actually reading the steam player list where it has call of duty mw2 put twice then add them together instead of trying to cover it up with the black box.

badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts
EA and its affiliates will save PC gaming. k0r3aN_pR1d3
by killing sports games on PC :P
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#49 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

pvtdonut54
Unless you like Warcraft, Blizzard probably won't be of any interest to you. Maybe when they release D3 and SC2 they will be back on top.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PublicNuisance

[QUOTE="pvtdonut54"]

Gooeykat

Unless you like Warcraft, Blizzard probably won't be of any interest to you. Maybe when they release D3 and SC2 they will be back on top.

Yeah because Starcraft and Diablo have no fanbases of their own.