Absolutely no point in having a super-awsome graphics card at the moment?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

phan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 phan1
Member since 2004 • 125 Posts

Hi, I was just wondering if there are a lot of people out there that are updating their graphics cards at the moment. If so, why? And this is totally coming from a guy who is self proclaimed eye-candy whore.

Here's my philosophy: You have 2 types of games: Unreal Engine 3 games and Crysis. An 8800 GT is already going to handle any Unreal Engine 3 game absolutely beautifully. Crysis? Not so much... But will a 9800GTX or even the next 280GTX (or whatever it's called) handle Crysis that much better? Sorry, but I'm not going to plunk down an extra $400 and go SLI crazy just so I can get an extra 10 frames on Crysis.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not going to even be looking at new cards until there's a commercial card out there that maxes Crysis on 1600x1200 at 60fps. Looking back, there were legitimate reasons to update to the 8800GTX. But at the moment, I just don't see anything on the horizon that's worth updating my PC. Whatever comes out in the next 8 months, I will still be woefully unsatisfied with my Crysis experience and my 8800GT is already more than enough for all the other games.

For me, the PC hardware business is looking pretty barren for me until the next 2 years or so.

GDI_SOLDIER_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 GDI_SOLDIER_94
Member since 2008 • 39 Posts

I wouldn't say there's no point but i mean with Nvidia u've got the 8800's and the 9800's with just like 5 frames more than the 8800 series if we're talking crysis and with ATI we've got the 3870 HD which is again powerful but im waiting for the next series of cards coming around xmas time when im building my new rig its gnna be sweet!!!:D

these are the specs:-

XFX 790i Ultra SLi 3 Way SLI (Socket 775) DDR3 PCI-E ATX Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz 'Yorkfield' 12MB Cache LGA775 (1333 Mhz) - w/ Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Corsair Twin3X 2GB DDR3 (2x1024MB) TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX PC3-10600 (1333Mhz) Dual Channel Kit

Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Modular Black PSU SLI Ready nVidia Approved

Jeantech Aqua Midi ATX Gaming case, includes 1 x 120mm fan and mounts for x6 fans, Blue LED door and screwless. No PSU

EVGA 8800GT Superclocked 512MB GDDR3 DVI HDCP HDTV out PCI-E Graphics Card with Crysis game (so Far but will be getting next series instead.)

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit

IT's Nvidia SLI based rather than ATI Crossfire.

will be going quad sli after the build.

But people wait for the next series of both Nvidia and ATI as we're coming near to the end of the year!!!

PSN: GDI_SoLdIeR_94

playing Cod4,Vegas2 and GT5 Prologue

Ptosio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ptosio
Member since 2005 • 240 Posts
Yeah, buying the uber powerful graphics makes no sense nowadays, but only becouse... there aren't such cards. Don't understimate the GTX 280 however. Nvidia had almost two years to develop it and when they say it will run Crisis "damn fast", I belive them. It might be the next big thing after the 8800GTX.
Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Wesker776
Member since 2005 • 7004 Posts

The GTX 280 will most likely dominate Crysis.

From a layman's point of view, it's basically a doubled up G92 in all senses of the word. Not to mention that NVIDIA has most likely tweaked some issues in G80/G92 such as memory bandwidth inefficiencies, geometry processing inefficiencies and etc.

Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Wesker776

I wouldn't say there's no point but i mean with Nvidia u've got the 8800's and the 9800's with just like 5 frames more than the 8800 series if we're talking crysis and with ATI we've got the 3870 HD which is again powerful but im waiting for the next series of cards coming around xmas time when im building my new rig its gnna be sweet!!!:D

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz 'Yorkfield' 12MB Cache LGA775 (1333 Mhz) - w/ Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Corsair Twin3X 2GB DDR3 (2x1024MB) TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX PC3-10600 (1333Mhz) Dual Channel Kit

Jeantech Aqua Midi ATX Gaming case, includes 1 x 120mm fan and mounts for x6 fans, Blue LED door and screwless. No PSU

EVGA 8800GT Superclocked 512MB GDDR3 DVI HDCP HDTV out PCI-E Graphics Card with Crysis game (so Far but will be getting next series instead.)

But people wait for the next series of both Nvidia and ATI as we're coming near to the end of the year!!!

GDI_SOLDIER_94

That rig is totally out of balance.

You've got a nuclear reactor powering a 120w card, DDR3 burning your cash and a case that's going to choke your system.

EDIT: I think it's time everyone moved onto 64 bit comptuing.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

I agree, a midend-Card are powerful enough to run most games with near max settings (ofc., left crysis out), there is no reason to fench the ûber card just yet, crysis look fine enough on high = saving 200dollars!

Game-development are not up to todays hardware, the GFX cards evolve much faster than game-development put out games stressing the hardware.

For gaming there is really no need for a faster CPU than 3Ghz either (Dual Core's & Quad's)

Perhaps games soon will pic up the falling-behind as there are a few titles on the way.. (Alan wake, FarCry2)

I want more than 1-3games able to put a "Medium-gaming rig" on the stress.

ryanweinmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 ryanweinmann
Member since 2007 • 894 Posts
PPl still playing pc? lol j/k, I havn't keep up with all the computer hardware in a long time
darkmagician06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darkmagician06
Member since 2003 • 6060 Posts
well i would never spend over $200 on a GPU anyways but thats just me.
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 ISuperGamerI
Member since 2006 • 3292 Posts
I bought the XFX nVidia 8800 GT about two days ago since I am almost finished making my new computer and I decided not to wait for the new cards (which get released around June 18th) because I want to play Age of Conan ASAP and also think the new cards will be much more expensive. The most that I am willing to spend on a Graphic card would be around $200 and this makes it cheaper than the more expensive upcoming Graphic cards.
r3351925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 r3351925
Member since 2006 • 1728 Posts
[QUOTE="GDI_SOLDIER_94"]

Wesker776

You've got a nuclear reactor powering a 120w card, DDR3 burning your cash and a case that's going to choke your system.

:lol: sooooo true, and yeah ddr3 has no value at all.

Spybot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Spybot_9
Member since 2008 • 2592 Posts
[QUOTE="GDI_SOLDIER_94"]

Wesker776

Well I think 8800GT is just a filler card for him and if he gets 2xGTX 280 or even 1 then that will be a pretty good system actually.There really is no point in buying a 790i with a PSU that is not good enough for tri-SLI.

While DDR3 maybe a waste,it's kind of a situation where there is no choice.790i almost completely destroys the 780i and is definitely as good as intel chipsets or even better from what I have seen.So if you want SLI with a really fantastic chipset then DDR3 is just an obligatory cost for it right now.:)

GDI_SOLDIER_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GDI_SOLDIER_94

THANKYOU U SPYBOT_9

christ people im building a system thats going to be absolutely Future proof for gaming and spybot_9 is right what i was saying was that the 8800GT is a filler card for me and will be going with 2x280's in sli and wrong case soz i meant the : Antec 900

and DDR3 as spybot_9 practically stated again if i want summin future proof i need DDr3 especially with the 790i and i went for the 790i because it wont bottleneck any of my other hardware and has true pci-e2.0 in 2 of the 3 pci-e slots.

So also im gnna need that "nuclear reactor" of a psu for quad sli and the future cpu's maybe c'mon people think about it before u attack me plz lol

im also thinking of liquid cooling it but if not ill just go with alot of quiet fans (b ut the antec 900 is pretty cool anyway)

wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts

THANKYOU U SPYBOT_9

christ people im building a system thats going to be absolutely Future proof for gaming and spybot_9 is right what i was saying was that the 8800GT is a filler card for me and will be going with 2x280's in sli and wrong case soz i meant the : Antec 900

and DDR3 as spybot_9 practically stated again if i want summin future proof i need DDr3 especially with the 790i and i went for the 790i because it wont bottleneck any of my other hardware and has true pci-e2.0 in 2 of the 3 pci-e slots.

So also im gnna need that "nuclear reactor" of a psu for quad sli and the future cpu's maybe c'mon people think about it before u attack me plz lol

im also thinking of liquid cooling it but if not ill just go with alot of quiet fans (b ut the antec 900 is pretty cool anyway)

GDI_SOLDIER_94

History has shown us that there is not true future proof system.

By xmas you should be grabbing a LGA1336 mobo ready for nehalem (880/890i?), instead of the 790i.

Better try to build your PC by xmas because there will be tons of things you will like to change.

felenor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 felenor
Member since 2004 • 254 Posts

I would go with this case for your setup. Better cooling, air circulation with all those cards, and more room for your liquid cooling.

Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case w/ 25CM Fan - Retail

Only con is that it is like 50lbs.

Your antec nine hundred is probably fine but i hear the 200mm fan is super brittle.

GDI_SOLDIER_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GDI_SOLDIER_94

yeh i expect to be changing alot of stuff on my specs for xmas but thanks for the tip anyway:)

dunno about that LGA1336 mobo though cos tons of people are calling it differnt stuff and people say that all the time but i dont expect they'll change it from LGA775 anytime soon but yeh i guess you never know u could be right

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

GDI_soldier:

You mentioned future proof?

If you really want future proof you just need to wait foreva before you go buy computer hardware...

As your intended rig is not able to change to the later-on released nahalem CPU's you are on the edge of what great CPU you can use in your rig.

If we imagine there is a build that actually are just a little-bit futureproof it would not be on a soon outdated LGA775 board, it would be on the soon to be released nahalem-socket.

Acually I suggest you wait and save up to the "next-big-deal" instead of trying to "futureproof" on an already "old" socket.

(well the board is fine but it cannot most likly be upgraded to a much faster CPU later on.)

We have no idea of how well performing the new GFX and CPU's (ATI's HD48xx/nvidia' GT2xx series/Nahalem.. ) are but the current hardware are quite old, (as PC old..) mostly just refined and up-hotted old core arkitecture, we (me anyway) hope the next productlines bring us some "new".

This migth sound like a whole lot of mambo-jambo but if I were you and were trying to build a xtreme gaming rig I would wait to find out what's just around the corner, even if i maybe ended up buildig the exact same rig that you intended for in the first place the prices would be totaly diffrent by then.

But what do I acually know? It's your money, and the conclution are your's to make, if you buy all that and update with the "next" GFX series you will have a fine rig for sure!, but future proof? :nahh..

GDI_SOLDIER_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GDI_SOLDIER_94

I've taken on board all of your comments and have come to the conclusion that i'll be waiting for the new intel nehalem compatible motherboards (will most likely get the next nvidia board) and as i new already i will be getting the next nvidia series card after i read some reviews on it and the nehalem cpu's.:idea:

But will still go with my "nuclear reactor" of a psu still and most other parts

but gonna keep hunting for new case ideas as i do most days lol:)

Thanks guys.:D

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
History has shown us that there is not true future proof system.By xmas you should be grabbing a LGA1336 mobo ready for nehalem (880/890i?), instead of the 790i. Better try to build your PC by xmas because there will be tons of things you will like to change. wklzip
QFT, I feel that upgrading to the best bang for your buck parts when its time for a new rig is a better way to go then to try to future proof.
Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Wesker776

I've taken on board all of your comments and have come to the conclusion that i'll be waiting for the new intel nehalem compatible motherboards (will most likely get the next nvidia board) and as i new already i will be getting the next nvidia series card after i read some reviews on it and the nehalem cpu's.:idea:

But will still go with my "nuclear reactor" of a psu still and most other parts

but gonna keep hunting for new case ideas as i do most days lol:)

Thanks guys.:D

GDI_SOLDIER_94

I wouldn't bet my money on us seeing an NVIDIA Nehalem motherboard. Intel could very well reject NVIDIA's access to a QuickPath license, for not allowing Intel chipsets to run SLI.

That's the worst case scenario, though.

nForce chipsets are a hazard anyway, IMHO. There have been countless reports of users experiencing HDD corruption of nForce chipsets, through from nForce 4 to nForce 790i.

teddyrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 teddyrob
Member since 2004 • 4557 Posts

Hi, I was just wondering if there are a lot of people out there that are updating their graphics cards at the moment. If so, why? And this is totally coming from a guy who is self proclaimed eye-candy whore.

Here's my philosophy: You have 2 types of games: Unreal Engine 3 games and Crysis. An 8800 GT is already going to handle any Unreal Engine 3 game absolutely beautifully. Crysis? Not so much... But will a 9800GTX or even the next 280GTX (or whatever it's called) handle Crysis that much better? Sorry, but I'm not going to plunk down an extra $400 and go SLI crazy just so I can get an extra 10 frames on Crysis.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not going to even be looking at new cards until there's a commercial card out there that maxes Crysis on 1600x1200 at 60fps. Looking back, there were legitimate reasons to update to the 8800GTX. But at the moment, I just don't see anything on the horizon that's worth updating my PC. Whatever comes out in the next 8 months, I will still be woefully unsatisfied with my Crysis experience and my 8800GT is already more than enough for all the other games.

For me, the PC hardware business is looking pretty barren for me until the next 2 years or so.

phan1

I think you are right. You could buy a new CPU later but will it be utilised by games out then? Quad core Q6600 is all you will need for a couple of years and 8800GTS or 8800GT or 9600GT will get you gaming at a reasonable level right now @ high settings. With the 9*** series not much improvement over the 8*** series and I guess Nvidia is slowing. Multiply GPUs and cards is the path that ATI and Nvidia are pushing on us to get better performance not a single card with really good performance. I really hope ATI can pull out some good cards out of their hat for the 4*** series that will wet my appetite again. It's been a long time since I bought one of their cards.