About flight simulators

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 0

#1 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Are there any flight simulators out there that are suitable for beginners? I have no clue how these things work as I've never played any of them, and all of my information is purely based on hearsay. I've been told that old flightsims were expensive packages that came with manuals of hundreds of pages long that had to be read through if you were ever going to get your plane to take off. Is this still the case, or are modern flightsims easier to get into? The main reason why I'm asking is because I saw IL-2 Sturmovik on sale, but I didn't know if this game would be enjoyable to someone who has no experience with the genre.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
From what I've heard, IL-2 Sturmovik is a great game, it even got a perfect score in a local magazine when it came out. Now I like military flight simulators, so the only ones I managed to get into were H.A.W.X. and Battlestations Pacific (the last one isn't only a flight simulator, but it's got ships and submarines also).
Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

Many flight sims these days have scaleable realism to appeal to a broader audience. For example the helicopter flight sim DCS: Black Shark can be played with full realism where you can actually go through the full startup sequence for the helicopter, nearly every button in the cockpit performs its real world function, where too much lift on the rotor can cause them to snap, or you can put it on arcade mode where anyone could enjoy the game.

IL-2 is a good middle ground sim. It's a great balance between realism and accesibility and it does have scaleable options. I'd recommend it.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Yep, I'll recommend IL-2 as well, rather simple to get into, with many options

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Are there any flight simulators out there that are suitable for beginners? I have no clue how these things work as I've never played any of them, and all of my information is purely based on hearsay. I've been told that old flightsims were expensive packages that came with manuals of hundreds of pages long that had to be read through if you were ever going to get your plane to take off. Is this still the case, or are modern flightsims easier to get into? The main reason why I'm asking is because I saw IL-2 Sturmovik on sale, but I didn't know if this game would be enjoyable to someone who has no experience with the genre.

DraugenCP

FSX. It's got just the thing for beginners: lots of hand-holding and explaining of aerodynamics/flight principles. Make sure you get a PC well beyond the recommended specs though.

FSX did use to be expensive. It was still $70 a year after release. Now, it's down to $30.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Examples of FSX Learning center:

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#7 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Thanks guys. I might pick up IL-2 later this week, and keep an eye out for FSX if I like it.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Yeah, iL2 and FSX. If you can find FS 2004 (there are a few places still selling it online even and it is somewhat easier on your PC than FSX). You can get iL2 1946 from Steam. There are mods for all three and FS9 and FSX has lots of free and payware mods for each.

hamelkarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 hamelkarl
Member since 2009 • 207 Posts

I recommend it too. Both FSX and IL-2. They are both really great for beginners and advanced people. It's depends mostly on the settings you use, model of aircraft and mods that you will use. I still suggest having a stick or a yoke to play them. A throttle could be nice too. Pedals would be great if you want to fly helicopters mostly. Lock On, Falcon and Black Shark are the games I won't suggest mostly if you don't want to read big manual or don't know much about flight sim.

So I would sure recommend FSX and IL-2 since they are good sim for anybody to pick up and learn, but still not feel like a game too much. X-Plane wouldn't be so bad either, but getting good planes is somewhat harder, the graphic is not as good and is somewhat harder to setup than FSX in my eye. Once it's done and you found those great planes, it's a blast to play. So I could somewhat say it could be decent to get too, mostly if your computer is not that a beast. It runs better than FSX for sure in terms of frames rates.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WhiteKnight77

AVSIM has a bunch of great people around that can help ya tweak FSX so you can get better frame rates in it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
IL2 is rough on beginners. I couldn't really get into it, but then again, I don't really have a good joystick laying around.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Microsoft Flight is also coming out this year and it's supposed to cater to both casuals and hardcore simmers.

FSX is definitely a fun experience. The best part, IMHO are the missions, but just taking out a 747 for a short flight is both fun and challening. Try landing at the odl Kai Tak Airport!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

IL-2 is a good game, it has really good arcade/realism settings as well. I mean, its not arcadey really, but you can scale it down quite a bit to where you only have to worry about direction and speed and shootign the enemy down lol, and you can scale it up gradually.

So yes, I'd recommend it to someone looking to get into sims. Just get a joystick first.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WhiteKnight77

Microsoft Flight is also coming out this year and it's supposed to cater to both casuals and hardcore simmers.

FSX is definitely a fun experience. The best part, IMHO are the missions, but just taking out a 747 for a short flight is both fun and challening. Try landing at the odl Kai Tak Airport!

Kinthalis

Please show us where MS said Flight was coming out this year. A link will help out.