A basic PC - custom built or factory made?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts

I need a new computer that will be used for basic functions like web browsing, word processing, managing a music library, etc. Should I still bother myself with building one or would it be more practical to buy a factory made one (like from Dell or HP)? Also what specs would be suitable for a basic computer? I want to get Windows 7 when it comes out.

And while I'm here, what's the point of a 64-bit computer? All I know is that it requires more resources.

NauthiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 NauthiX
Member since 2009 • 130 Posts

for basic pc's you don't really save a lot by custom building. personally i would do it anyway, for the sake of getting exactly what it want.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Any current new PC would do that fine,,,just get something cheap.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
building your own will always be cheaper than a prebuilt. for a basic pc 64bit doesn't give you much. 64bit is for highend apps like 3d modeling/video/and now photoshop, as well as being able to use more than 4gb ram. For a basic rig you wont notice any difference with 32/64bit but there is now no point in going 32bit as everything works on 64bit and apps are moving towards 64bit. for a basic computer the cheapest cpu/mob and 2gb ram will do fine, but you get more value if you go a bit higher. something like a athlon 2 x2 240 with 2gb ram and some onboard video is fine, but if you plan on watching movies you want to make sure you have a half decent gpu. many onboard amd gpus are fine for video but avoid the really cheap boards as they tend to be terrible for video.
Avatar image for mouthforbathory
mouthforbathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 mouthforbathory
Member since 2006 • 2114 Posts

For basics, I'd recommend a cheap dual core laptop as it'll do what you need, yet remain portable and consume alot less energy if you're trying to be REALLY cheap. If you do want to be able to upgrade the machine, then yeah you'll have to go with a desktop, in which case I'd just get a pre-built machine because it'll have a one year warranty, tech support, all the parts will properly interact with eachother. It's ready to go out of the box. While good PC parts from respectable manufacturers tend to have 2 or 3 year warranties, you might not be ready to deal with anguishes of OS and driver installation if you happen to get a part that doesn't want to cooperate. In your position, I'd get a pre-built, but I'm one to always build a machine myself.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

For basics, I'd recommend a cheap dual core laptop as it'll do what you need, yet remain portable and consume alot less energy if you're trying to be REALLY cheap. If you do want to be able to upgrade the machine, then yeah you'll have to go with a desktop, in which case I'd just get a pre-built machine because it'll have a one year warranty, tech support, all the parts will properly interact with eachother. It's ready to go out of the box. While good PC parts from respectable manufacturers tend to have 2 or 3 year warranties, you might not be ready to deal with anguishes of OS and driver installation if you happen to get a part that doesn't want to cooperate. In your position, I'd get a pre-built, but I'm one to always build a machine myself.

mouthforbathory
Never buy a laptop unless you need it to be portable or have a tiny amount of space, they have sooo many downsides.
MilkmanDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 MilkmanDO
Member since 2009 • 92 Posts

[QUOTE="mouthforbathory"]

Daytona_178

Never buy a laptop unless you need it to be portable or have a tiny amount of space, they have sooo many downsides.

agreed, any pc from a major retailer would do, u can get dual core acers for a really cheap price anywhere really. I would personally custom build it but yeah, there's not much of a difference in how much u'll spend whether u go for either

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

for basic pc's you don't really save a lot by custom building. personally i would do it anyway, for the sake of getting exactly what it want.

NauthiX
Depends on how many you've built in the past, if you've been building and upgrading high end PCs for a while you probably have enough old parts spare to make a low end scrap rig so effectively it doesn't cost you a penny.
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

And while I'm here, what's the point of a 64-bit computer? All I know is that it requires more resources.

Xeros606

The main reason most people would want a 64-bit OS is so that they can use more RAM. 32-bit OS's can read a maximum of about 3.5GB of memory. 64-bit can read up to much higher than that. A lot of people are now using 4GB of RAM, and those people should be using a 64-bit OS to get the full benefits from it.

Also, they allow you to run some applications in 64-bit mode, where they can supposedly take advantage of the 64-bit extensions of modern processors. Although as far as I know, in practice there's little to no noticeable difference between the way 32-bit and 64-bit applications actually run.

Avatar image for mouthforbathory
mouthforbathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 mouthforbathory
Member since 2006 • 2114 Posts
[QUOTE="mouthforbathory"]

Daytona_178

Not too many downsides outside of upgradeability, but then again, reliability becomes an issue. However I'd rather have a laptop myself before investing in a desktop when it comes to basic computing. If something happens to your home internet or something like that, you can at least take it somewhere else. Plus you can get a dual-cored laptop for under $500 easy. Sure it'll not run as fast even per-clock-cycle as a desktop but these days the performance is getting very comparable depending on what you buy.