20 years of hardcore gaming and I skip almost everything now SIMPLE REASON:

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kopogero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kopogero
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts
Instant save/load ruins gameplay Playing delta/insanity/hardest difficulty modes is just extra wasted time. They are doable, but no point doing em when I can just see the entire game so much quicker on easiest mode. Back in the days classic games had one difficulty for everyone out there. These days it seems like developers are scared if they do not release a game that 98%+ of its customers cannot complete it. I always enjoyed games cuz they required me using my brain in them. These days games are like a mini version of a movie where I play them just so I can see the story and nothing else. LOL Skyrim....dunno how so many kiddies out there enjoying it. One/two shotting everything after few hours of gameplay is not enjoyable at all. Skyrim is best example of your typical modern single player game that can be either exploited or cheated my way through. I can't wait to see one publisher out there to grow some balls and release a quality game and purposely make it so one third can experience half of it and one 10th can actually complete it. That would be such awesome experience, knowing that playing this game truly requires ability to think without any easy way out and the pleasure of finishing it at the end knowing only one in ten did it as well would be PRICELESS.
True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

Try completing Super Meat Boy.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts

Try completing Super Meat Boy.

True_Sounds
Trivial compared to beating I Wanna Be The Guy: http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Cool opinion bro.

Seems like you've never heard of Dark Souls, or have never considered just NOT quick saving.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

play quake live
ur mind will be fried

or play that crap game zubin linked too

it cheats

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I have a huge issue with game difficulty today. One thing I really appreciated about Max Payne 3 is that Rockstar remembered that difficult situations make for fun gameplay. Most games on hard these days are too easy, and I refuse to play easy games.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KHAndAnime

Cool opinion bro.

Seems like you've never heard of Dark Souls, or have never considered just NOT quick saving.

SPYDER0416

You forgot that most games that use quick save systems forget to implement other save options. Quicksave / quickload = crap. Laziness on the developer's part.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#8 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Try Dayz, Anno2070, Total War series, SIns Of A Solar Empire series, Galactic Civilization series.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zubinen
Oh and how could I forget Dwarf Fortress, the champion of video games: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ This sums it up: http://a.imageshack.us/img251/6664/dflearning.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/m7VyR.png
Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

I don't have the time nor interest to play the same segment of a game over and over again.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Am I the only one who doesn't want my SP games that hard? I rather show off my skillaz in mp.

I want my SP gaimz to take me on an adventure.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SPYDER0416

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

Cool opinion bro.

KHAndAnime

You forgot that most games that use quick save systems forget to implement other save options. Quicksave / quickload = crap. Laziness on the developer's part.

I don't think there's anything wrong with quick saves, they let players save when they want, and why not? They work well with some games, though I do see your point in that they have players do the developer's job of pacing difficulty.

Of course I do prefer developers implement a good checkpoint system for the difficulty with a mix of saving. After playing so many games where I can sort of spam saves to not ever lose or make a wrong choice, it seems like the best option would be to implement a checkpoint system in combat. Mass Effect 3 does a really great job, if you die you are punished and have to go back to the beginning of the battle, but you can save anytime you want outside of combat.

I also think limiting saves is an ok option, but it can be frustrating if we don't know when's the best time to use them up.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KHAndAnime

I don't have the time nor interest to play the same segment of a game over and over again.

Sheppard212
Then why play videogames? Why not just watch a movie? Or read a book? What's the point of interacting with the game if there's nothing preventing you from getting from the start to the finish?
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

Cool opinion bro.

SPYDER0416

I don't think there's anything wrong with quick saves, they let players save when they want, and why not? They work well with some games, though I do see your point in that they have players do the developer's job of pacing difficulty.

Of course I do prefer developers implement a good checkpoint system for the difficulty with a mix of saving. After playing so many games where I can sort of spam saves to not ever lose or make a wrong choice, it seems like the best option would be to implement a checkpoint system in combat. Mass Effect 3 does a really great job, if you die you are punished and have to go back to the beginning of the battle, but you can save anytime you want outside of combat.

I also think limiting saves is an ok option, but it can be frustrating if we don't know when's the best time to use them up.

Because it encourages players to abuse the save system to beat the game obviously. They might as well give the player infinite life/health/ammo/etc. because it's virtually the exact same thing as having a quick-save system.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="Sheppard212"]

KHAndAnime
Then why play videogames? Why not just watch a movie? Or read a book? What's the point of interacting with the game if there's nothing preventing you from getting from the start to the finish?

Fun, entertainment, something that completely goes over your head it seems. You're not cool if you manage to beat games, nobody cares a single bit, the games are however bad if they become frustrating, because of bad checkpoints and such.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="Sheppard212"]

DanielDust

Fun, entertainment, something that completely goes over your head it seems. You're not cool if you manage to beat games, nobody cares a single bit, the games are however bad if they become frustrating, because of bad checkpoints and such.

We will never agree on this subject because we have diverging opinions. What's so fun about blowing through a game without dying or difficulty? I mean, do you have fun solving little kids puzzles? Why not just turn on God-mode and play through all your games? Why ruin it for the people who enjoy the original concept of what a videogame is? You don't like games to have replayability? So many questions...

Your idea of fun is the complete opposite of mine (and most people who play videogames). A typical videogame, to me, have always been based around the idea of an incrementing challenge, and any game that can't at least provide a challenge has failed in my eyes. A better way of going about it is making a game that's challenging, and then give all the gamers who don't like a challenge an easier mode.

For people who can't comprehend what I'm talking about, wrap your mind around this: If Dark Souls or Demons Souls was based around the quicksave/quickload dynamic, they wouldn't be nearly as recognized or acclaimed as they are today.

Once you realize the truth behind the bolded statement, then you'll see the truth behind my argument. Games that are too easy are simply not as fun as they could be. The real tragedy behind it is that difficulty is only a small aspect of the game's development, so to see games ruined by poor difficulty balancing is really sad. The keyword is balance. A game's difficulty should try to appeal to everyone, not just their target audience (little kids).

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SPYDER0416

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] You forgot that most games that use quick save systems forget to implement other save options. Quicksave / quickload = crap. Laziness on the developer's part.

KHAndAnime

Because it encourages players to abuse the save system to beat the game obviously. They might as well give the player infinite life/health/ammo/etc. because it's virtually the exact same thing as having a quick-save system.

Not really, quick save systems have existed for years and generally work well with the game they are in. If someone dies and didn't save in a while they have to go back to that point, but if they saved in a bad spot then they have to fight their way through or revert to an earlier save.

Quick saves might make things easier, but they are nowhere on the level of giving a player infinite ammo or health. If it bothers you so much you can just rely on the auto save and never save yourself, but games can still be challenging with quick saves and it doesn't impact my entertainment of Max Payne whether it uses quick save or a checkpoint system, since either way I still have to avoid dying and still have a drawback to death.

And for the record, Dark Souls and Demon's Souls do have a sort of quick save option. If you quit anywhere in the game, it saves you at that exact point you will spawn, with enemies you've killed remaining dead until you yourself die and spawn back at the start, Amnesia also has a sort of quick save in allowing you to save and exit but it doesn't impact the way death works and its still an incredibly challenging game because of the puzzles (that can't really be affected by how you save) and death taking you back to a checkpoint anyways.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

SPYDER0416

Not really, quick save systems have existed for years and generally work well with the game they are in. If someone dies and didn't save in a while they have to go back to that point, but if they saved in a bad spot then they have to fight their way through or revert to an earlier save.

Quick saves might make things easier, but they are nowhere on the level of giving a player infinite ammo or health. If it bothers you so much you can just rely on the auto save and never save yourself, but games can still be challenging with quick saves and it doesn't impact my entertainment of Max Payne whether it uses quick save or a checkpoint system, since either way I still have to avoid dying and still have a drawback to death.

Most games that have quicksave/quickloads don't put much focus on autosaves or checkpoints, which was my point. Quick saves are on the level of infinite ammo/health/etc. Assuming that you're saving for every successful step you take.... Lose health? Reload. Need ammo? Reload. Set yourself up for a tough spot down the road? Reload.

So explain to me, how's that different than god mode?

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Well play multiplayer games, humans eventually get more difficult than the game could ever be.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

SPYDER0416

And for the record, Dark Souls and Demon's Souls do have a sort of quick save option. If you quit anywhere in the game, it saves you at that exact point you will spawn, with enemies you've killed remaining dead until you yourself die and spawn back at the start, Amnesia also has a sort of quick save in allowing you to save and exit but it doesn't impact the way death works and its still an incredibly challenging game because of the puzzles (that can't really be affected by how you save) and death taking you back to a checkpoint anyways.

That fact that you would compare these two save systems shows that you haven't put a lot of thought into it.

In terms of balance, they aren't similar at all. Think about it really quickly and get back to me on it. The difference between quicksaving and the system that DS has is pretty damn big.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KHAndAnime
Topic creator, I highly recommend that you keep your eyes peeled for Dark Souls on PC. The game provides a steep challenge, but nothing impossible. Most people who beat these games do it with the aid of outside advice (friends/internet). If people weren't heavily reliant on outside sources to beat their games - I'd say Dark Souls could qualify as one of those games that only 1/10 would be capable of beating.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#22 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

If you like puzzle games, SpaceChem is right up your alley. The story doesn't really matter, and some puzzles take most people hours to complete.

Kopogero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kopogero
At the end I wouldn't want my only reward for playing the game without using quick saves or easy mode to be FAR MORE WASTED TIME than others. And no some medal or replayability doesn't cut it. Companies need to reward their players for going through their game successfuly. Companies can easily make games progressivly difficult as the game continues, at the end thats the point of the game to encounter more difficult content as you skill/level up and your chr becomes stronger. Now companies cater to "special needs" players and thx to them for most the experience of playing the game is ruined. If you got 5% of playerbase able to complete your game and 33% to get to half of it now that is a SUCCESSFUL done game imo. I would feel delightful playing it and feel challenged as well as rewarded for completing it.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Topic creator, I highly recommend that you keep your eyes peeled for Dark Souls on PC. The game provides a steep challenge, but nothing impossible. Most people who beat these games do it with the aid of outside advice (friends/internet). If people weren't heavily reliant on outside sources to beat their games - I'd say Dark Souls could qualify as one of those games that only 1/10 would be capable of beating.KHAndAnime

Well that's mostly because people get lost more than anything else.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KHAndAnime
[QUOTE="Kopogero"]At the end I wouldn't want my only reward for playing the game without using quick saves or easy mode to be FAR MORE WASTED TIME than others. And no some medal or replayability doesn't cut it. Companies need to reward their players for going through their game successfuly. Companies can easily make games progressivly difficult as the game continues, at the end thats the point of the game to encounter more difficult content as you skill/level up and your chr becomes stronger. Now companies cater to "special needs" players and thx to them for most the experience of playing the game is ruined. If you got 5% of playerbase able to complete your game and 33% to get to half of it now that is a SUCCESSFUL done game imo. I would feel delightful playing it and feel challenged as well as rewarded for completing it.

Yea but that doesn't bring in the $$$ you see. In the end, even the unskilled gamers are going to want to see the end of the game. And if someone spends money on a game, it makes sense that they should be able to experience all the content.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#26 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Why would anybody want one tenth of their audience to actually finish something they created? Many games these days don't even have quick save and quick load. I don't see why playing the hardest mode is a waste of time if you want a challenge.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

[QUOTE="Sheppard212"]

KHAndAnime

Quick save and quick load give the user the freedom to control their progress on their own accord. I'm not sure what's fun about dying repeatedly before a checkpoint two dozen times, but I guess we're not all lobotomized gamers. After all, that's what you'd have to be within the context of this thread to disregard a variety of games entirely due to having a quick save feature; and books and movies get repetitive because they never change, no matter how good they are.

GG.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

Well play multiplayer games, humans eventually get more difficult than the game could ever be.

GD1551
That's the way to go! Valve still does it right. Blizzard used to be awesome but WoW and Diablo 3 are just crap games. I miss the old Blizzard.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
That's a terrible complaint. "There's more than one difficulty QQBBQsauce" is all I'm hearing. If the game is easy on easy, play it on hard. I really don't see any merit to your opinion at all.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
[QUOTE="Sheppard212"]

KHAndAnime

and being stuck at the same place for so long is a good thing? NO, this reminds me the old days that they put the most insane crap at you and you had to figure them outyourself ore get stuck there. Worthy example, redneck rampage. So how you complete the first level? I dont know, have you tried talking to the only guy who doesnt shoot you? Yup, trying shooting him, yup i die. Then wtf should i do? Scan the whole freaking manual for an answer, only to find out there is no story relation to it. You just have to hit him with the crowbar and the game finishes the level. Nice, atleast nowdays games are thought out better.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Play Drakensang: The Dark Eye, and Drakensang: River of Time. The puzzles and combat both require you to think ahead, and you can set up a queue of melee moves if you wish.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Saving systems have existed as long as hardcore games have. If you didn't mind them back then, I don't know why you would now. I love them because it's a game. I want to have fun in a game. When I can experiment and have the freedom to explore, I have fun. It seems the rest of your post is just about general difficulty, which I agree with completely. Difficult levels now are either super easy or the AI completely cheats. There's very little creativity in AI development in most games. Of course, most of these complaints are all related to first and third person games.
ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
[QUOTE="Sheppard212"]

KHAndAnime

If your definition of playing games is repeating the same section over again then I feel bad for you.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zubinen
[QUOTE="GD1551"]

SKaREO
That's the way to go! Valve still does it right. Blizzard used to be awesome but WoW and Diablo 3 are just crap games. I miss the old Blizzard.

I don't think there's much wrong with WoW, extremely polished and great for what it is, Diablo 3 on the other hand I'd agree isn't living up to the Diablo IP. Valve just has people mod their games into new games and then hires said people.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Calling people that enjoy Skyrim 'kiddies' ruined any legit points you tried to make.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts
Quick saves hurt your butt.
Kopogero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Kopogero
Any game with a kiddie difficulty mode avaliable is designed for the kiddies. Only good thing about "choice" is that at least now games allow you to see how much you suck at the end by how you choose to play your games. If and how often you're quick saving, how many youtube guides you need to google and what kind of difficulty setting you are choosing to complete your game and so on. I would totally had no problem if I get stuck to half of the game and not complete it cuz of how difficult if would get, but most of the kiddies of course would disagree. And difficulty is a broad and overlooked concept now in game design. One thing is for sure if I spend 50-70 hours enjoying a game through the entire content it adds far more value to it. It took me 50+ hours to finish story driven games like Xenogears, Suikoden II and so on back in the days, now most story driven games are completed in couple of hours.
timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts
[QUOTE="Kopogero"]Instant save/load ruins gameplay Playing delta/insanity/hardest difficulty modes is just extra wasted time. They are doable, but no point doing em when I can just see the entire game so much quicker on easiest mode. Back in the days classic games had one difficulty for everyone out there. These days it seems like developers are scared if they do not release a game that 98%+ of its customers cannot complete it. I always enjoyed games cuz they required me using my brain in them. These days games are like a mini version of a movie where I play them just so I can see the story and nothing else. LOL Skyrim....dunno how so many kiddies out there enjoying it. One/two shotting everything after few hours of gameplay is not enjoyable at all. Skyrim is best example of your typical modern single player game that can be either exploited or cheated my way through. I can't wait to see one publisher out there to grow some balls and release a quality game and purposely make it so one third can experience half of it and one 10th can actually complete it. That would be such awesome experience, knowing that playing this game truly requires ability to think without any easy way out and the pleasure of finishing it at the end knowing only one in ten did it as well would be PRICELESS.

While I disagree with most of your opinions, particularly quick saving, it does bring up a deeper seeded issue which is the base difficulty of games. Looking at more modern rpgs (such as fallout 3) the base difficulty seems to be based around someone never needing to use an item (failing to address new vegas "hardcore" or whatever). The base difficulty of games is EASY, then the game tosses difficulties that simply change stats. Rather then making a real challenge stuff just has more damage and more health, the ai is dumb as dirt no matter what difficulty you toss it at. TL:DR: The "normal" difficulty for most modern games is based on somebody touching a keyboard/controller for the first time and from there being able to beat the game, which is pretty pathetic.
JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
Them, not em. Because, not cuz. Something tells me you weren't serious about using your brain.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Instant save/load ruins gameplay Playing delta/insanity/hardest difficulty modes is just extra wasted time. They are doable, but no point doing em when I can just see the entire game so much quicker on easiest mode. Back in the days classic games had one difficulty for everyone out there. These days it seems like developers are scared if they do not release a game that 98%+ of its customers cannot complete it. I always enjoyed games cuz they required me using my brain in them. These days games are like a mini version of a movie where I play them just so I can see the story and nothing else. LOL Skyrim....dunno how so many kiddies out there enjoying it. One/two shotting everything after few hours of gameplay is not enjoyable at all. Skyrim is best example of your typical modern single player game that can be either exploited or cheated my way through. I can't wait to see one publisher out there to grow some balls and release a quality game and purposely make it so one third can experience half of it and one 10th can actually complete it. That would be such awesome experience, knowing that playing this game truly requires ability to think without any easy way out and the pleasure of finishing it at the end knowing only one in ten did it as well would be PRICELESS.Kopogero

I don't know if to take ur post seriously or not.

Are u saying ur not playing games cause of THE SAVE SYSTEM?

Like WTF dude.

dsd

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
... You do know that you can... You know.. Not use the feature right? Complaining about quick saves has to be the most laughable thing ever..
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FelipeInside
... You do know that you can... You know.. Not use the feature right? Complaining about quick saves has to be the most laughable thing ever.. sSubZerOo
I thought the same thing. Thankfully it wasn't just me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]... You do know that you can... You know.. Not use the feature right? Complaining about quick saves has to be the most laughable thing ever.. FelipeInside

Hell I am perfeclty fine with many of the designs of the game as long as one can disable them.. Or has options.. Lets take alook at Deus Ex Human Revolution.. That is a perfect example in offering the player a varied set way in which the player can make it as challenging or as easy as possible based on how they play it.. We all have our favorites at the end of the day, there are many great games out there.. But people need to get their rose colored glasses off and realize that often times that so called "difficulty" was due to broken mechanics or just piss poor design in which the player was left in the dark due to unintutive controls, menus, options etc etc.. A great example of this is Baldurs Gate 2, people lovet to say its one of the best game.. But it is also a game that is extremely broken in numerous areas, especially when it comes to class balance.. Literally half the classes you can choose from are god awful..

The only thing I would argue is not that games are harder or easier now, just that they are more forgiving.. In Everquest 1 dieing was a serious thing, if you died you lost a significant amount of exp.. But the worse part is the fear that if you don't reach your body in time your body would rot and you would lose your gear.. In WoW they completely took that out of the mix and dieing isn't as tense.. Things like exploration has become mundane simply because of the little penaltry for dieing, especially in zones that are nicely leveled out.. In EQ1 there would be low level zones that would at times have high level creatures spawn in that would just go tear assing around the zone.. Its what made this kind of game unpredictable and great.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]... You do know that you can... You know.. Not use the feature right? Complaining about quick saves has to be the most laughable thing ever.. sSubZerOo

Hell I am perfeclty fine with many of the designs of the game as long as one can disable them.. Or has options.. Lets take alook at Deus Ex Human Revolution.. That is a perfect example in offering the player a varied set way in which the player can make it as challenging or as easy as possible based on how they play it.. We all have our favorites at the end of the day, there are many great games out there.. But people need to get their rose colored glasses off and realize that often times that so called "difficulty" was due to broken mechanics or just piss poor design in which the player was left in the dark due to unintutive controls, menus, options etc etc.. A great example of this is Baldurs Gate 2, people lovet to say its one of the best game.. But it is also a game that is extremely broken in numerous areas, especially when it comes to class balance.. Literally half the classes you can choose from are god awful..

The only thing I would argue is not that games are harder or easier now, just that they are more forgiving.. In Everquest 1 dieing was a serious thing, if you died you lost a significant amount of exp.. But the worse part is the fear that if you don't reach your body in time your body would rot and you would lose your gear.. In WoW they completely took that out of the mix and dieing isn't as tense.. Things like exploration has become mundane simply because of the little penaltry for dieing, especially in zones that are nicely leveled out.. In EQ1 there would be low level zones that would at times have high level creatures spawn in that would just go tear assing around the zone.. Its what made this kind of game unpredictable and great.

I agree with your post. I've even said recently that MMOs should bring back the "XP Lost when Dying", and other factors (I like that thing you said about ur body rotting). These days in MMOs, dying doesn't matter so people just do what they like. Let's make it more tense.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I thought the same thing. Thankfully it wasn't just me.FelipeInside

I agree with your post. I've even said recently that MMOs should bring back the "XP Lost when Dying", and other factors (I like that thing you said about ur body rotting). These days in MMOs, dying doesn't matter so people just do what they like. Let's make it more tense.

Its just games in general.. Its one of the reasons why I think games like DayZ have become so popular because when you die you lose everything.. And you spawn in different locations, meaning you never quite know whats around the corner..
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FelipeInside
^^ WOW, that's harsh in DayZ. I don't want them to become THAT hardcore (specially MMOs). I don't mind have some accessibility because remember, we aren't all great players, some of us have more difficultly playing some games than others. (for example I totally suck at RTS). So there needs to be a balance. BUT, MMOs these days are far too forgiving when you die.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
I'm happy for you.
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
it seems the TC took a tiny sample of modern games and pretended that all games are easy or have the same save/checkpoint problems that he claims they have. at this point i would like to argue against, but what's the point when there are so many games that are just as hardcore?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I hate when increasing difficulty just makes enemies take/do more damage. It's just annoying rather than forcing you to think

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2387 Posts

I agree that too many game this day are just long cutscenes but I disagree about quicksaves and quickloads. I've been playing video games for more than 30years and from the beginning nothing has ever ****ed me off more than playing a level on a game for hours and at the end losing and having to go all the way back to the beginning. I have a box full of games from multiple platforms that I stopped playing because this happened. For me games should be fun not work, playing the same level over and over and over to finally beat it is not fun to me. I will not play any game that does not have a quick save feature.