1st PC build not powering on.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rain_of_Miami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rain_of_Miami
Member since 2004 • 3102 Posts

Hello, I am really poor and just spent over $1,000 for a new PC for work, so I'm really scared I just wasted all that money.

I have everything secured in place but not too tightly.

I've checked 24-pin power connector and 12 volt CPU power connector are connected.

Power switch connector from the front is connected in the correct orientation (the triangle indicates the + sign right?)

I've turned on the main power switch from the back of the PSU.

When I turned it on for the first time, I saw the power LED light turn on for a split second, then it disappeared. No components turning on.

The video card has a miniature light bulb in it that I can see is turning on (it's a light sensitive bulb on the GTX 760) and so I am hoping this means it is ok.

I don't know. Putting everything together was easy, and I ensured that I got 100% compatible parts.

Corsair Carbide 200R case.

Corsair CX750 power supply.

EVGA GTX 760 2GB superclocked version.

Patriot 2 x 4 GB memory (1.5 volts, compatible with Intel 8 series, 1600 mhz).

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H motherboard (supports 1.5 volt memory, at 1600 mhz. Supports 4th generation Intel i7).

Intel i7-4771 processor. 3.5 GHz.

Hard drive is Western Digital WD30EZRX. 3TB drive, SATA 3 compatible, plugged into SATA 3 connection.

A DVD drive is not yet plugged in as the one I got from Best Buy seemed pre-opened, so I am going to exchange it. This, however, should not be a problem as many people use external DVD drives to install the OS.

I would greatly value any advice you can offer. Thank you so much...

hlcsbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 hlcsbaby
Member since 2003 • 195 Posts

@Rain_of_Miami: Not sure how much help i will be, but the only time that ever happened to me was when i had the risers (or whatever they're called) making contact with the motherboard. You should only have the same amount and location as screw holes in the motherboard. Hope that makes sense.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

"Hello, I am really poor and just spent over $1,000 for a new PC" that makes total sense....ehh....

Anyway, back to the point. It could be a few different things at this point, but if you're not secure with things like this I recommend taking it to a computer shop before you break anything (if you haven't already)

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Something is not connected properly since the LEDs are turning on for a sec.

Make sure your HDD is plugged both via SATA to MOBO and 2nd power from the PSU.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Take a picture of your motherboard and post it on here. We can look if there are any things that might not be plugged in

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

i dont want to alert you but did you put the motherboard raisers before you installed the motherboard ? Are you sure the motherboard isnt making contact with the case ? Happened to my first build 14 years ago ( yes i know stupid but luckily i only burned the motherboard and nothing else )

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

When I turned it on for the first time, I saw the power LED light turn on for a split second, then it disappeared. No components turning on.

You put an extra standoff on your motherboard, your motherboard is shorting out.

That or you forgot standoffs completely.

Your computer isn't dead, even I've made that mistake recently on a random computer(extra standoff). The good news is your motherboard isn't dead, I've never seen one killed by this.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

it could be a bad PSU or you could have accidentally cut one of the wires during assembly. check all wires and make sure they are no cuts in them. if a cut wire is touching the case the computer wont start. can get some electrical tape to fix the cut wire.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Did you make sure the Power switch (+) (-) connectors aren't reversed? The (-) end is usually white.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

The good news is your motherboard isn't dead, I've never seen one killed by this.

LOL, I've seen plenty. Maybe new motherboards have a safety countermeasure to this now but back when I built lots of PCs if I made that mistake, it went to mainboard heaven...

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

The good news is your motherboard isn't dead, I've never seen one killed by this.

LOL, I've seen plenty. Maybe new motherboards have a safety countermeasure to this now but back when I built lots of PCs if I made that mistake, it went to mainboard heaven...

It's not just me.

Two of my friends who both just built new pc's had this exact same issue. Their computers lived. They both forgot the standoffs, same exact symptoms. This was their first time building a computer, probably should have mentioned it to them.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FelipeInside

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@FelipeInside said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

It's not just me.

Two of my friends who both just built new pc's had this exact same issue. Their computers lived. They both forgot the standoffs, same exact symptoms. This was their first time building a computer, probably should have mentioned it to them.

Then finally they have put in some type of safety measure on the mainboards. I haven't built one wrong for ages so I don't know, lol....

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

Double check that your CPU and RAM got seated correctly and you have no bent pins on the CPU. Also, make sure there are no power connectors are missed or that are loose.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

@geminontraveler said:

@PredatorRules said:

a motherboard will POST without anything plugged in. you can be completely missing memory, CPU, HDD... everything.... and a motherboard will still POST. it will error at POST, but it will still POST.... so it isnt his HDD.

most likely he hasnt wired his case correctly to the motherboard. that is why he is getting lights on his components... but when he tries to power it on, it isnt powering on. check your motherboard manual again, and make sure all your jumpers are plugged into the correct places on the motherboard from your case. pay special attention to the power and restart jumpers... everything else doesnt matter.

This is false information. You computer cannot POST with out the Processor or RAM. It can post without a hard drive.

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

Don't know if you've resolved this by now, it could be a MOBO issue like the brotherhood above mentioned already. However do you have a CPU-Cooler attached to your CPU? If so, how well is that thing tightened, not too well I hope? This can also happen with bad RAM, if you have multiple sticks of RAM take them out individually while leaving the rest inside and try rebooting, switch until every stick is checked.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@Jacobistheman said:

@geminontraveler said:

@PredatorRules said:

a motherboard will POST without anything plugged in. you can be completely missing memory, CPU, HDD... everything.... and a motherboard will still POST. it will error at POST, but it will still POST.... so it isnt his HDD.

most likely he hasnt wired his case correctly to the motherboard. that is why he is getting lights on his components... but when he tries to power it on, it isnt powering on. check your motherboard manual again, and make sure all your jumpers are plugged into the correct places on the motherboard from your case. pay special attention to the power and restart jumpers... everything else doesnt matter.

This is false information. You computer cannot POST with out the Processor or RAM. It can post without a hard drive.

excuse me but wut? yes it absolutely will produce a limited POST. he said it would error on post.... not that it would fully post.... which is correct. the POST report will say that you are missing CPU or RAM... or both if both are missing.... but it absolutely will output something. i have personally seen it many times while troubleshooting motherboards....

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

As a bunch of people have already said you either forgot or incorrectly added a riser. Most cases will have labeled exactly which holes need to have risers. Check the case manual or inside the case itself. Ensure you have the risers which are usually bronze-colored and have a female end to insert screws and a male end in order to screw into the case. Also ensure all of you plugs are TIGHT. If they aren't tight you are doing it wrong.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

not sure exactly whats wrong for your motherboard. I had sorta a similar problem, i tried different memory, and powersupply and the pc wouldnt boot.

It ended up being the fact the motherboard BIOS was not update enough to accept the cpu i was using, so luckily had an older cpu that would boot with that motherboard so I used the old cpu, flashed bios... then after that put new cpu in, and the pc booted up normally.

But the power supply fans were on as were the lights on the case, even the video card fans were on, just it wouldnt boot, so i had a fairly good idea it was the bios since i had many extra parts laying around to elimate bad memory, video card etc. as the problem.

Problem is though, i doubt you have an different 4th gen intel cpu laying around since its a new build... only reason I had an old cpu was the AM3 chipset was used for a ton of amd's chips for the last few years.

Some motherboards, like some versions of Asus motherboards, let you update bios without even having to boot into the bios menu, but im not sure if gigabyte motherboards let you update the bios that way yet.

If you got an extra powersupply laying around that would be good to test with, and some goes with other components to make sure those arent the problem.