Will it be worth it to sell my xbox 360 and get into PC gaming only?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggerdjam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 biggerdjam
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

I want to sell my Limited Edition Halo 4 xbox 360 and everything with it(games controllers etc) and get into PC gaming.

Will it be worth it to sell my xbox 360 and everything with it and NOT get the PS4 and/or Xbox one also and just COMPLETLY switch over to PC gaming ONLY?

Im not that interested in the next gen consoles but i just think i would be missing out on the "new features" and exclusive games but i think i can live without Halo and God of war etc.  I for one love RTS games and that alone is better than anything on consoles to me and im looking forward to Rome: Total war 2.

Even if i do switch over, should i get /build a High end rig or  buy a Expensive gaming Laptop? I like/want the portabliliy of the laptop so that i can go places and game at my friends house etc.  Also does ASUS make good gaming Laptops in general?

Bottom line, can i go wrong with this?

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

If youve got the money to keep it in the game then yes its worth it. PC gaming is alot of fun. I own both ps3 and 360 and I use my computer the most. I was a console gamer before I started playing PC games. But ive always played with computers since I was little

pawq4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pawq4
Member since 2013 • 448 Posts

It would definitely be worth it, but don't buy a laptop unless you feel like throwing your money out the window. A $1200 desktop will absolutely crush any laptop you will find. It's not worth it for the portability. Plus desktops are easier to cool, and you can upgrade your hardware over time. PC gaming is the best imo. Most of the time the ports have the best graphics, you can choose whether to play with a mouse and keyboard or with a controller and you can get great games for extremely cheap prices. If you have some money later you could buy a console. Right now the new consoles will have very few good exclusive titles anyway.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
All about preferences. If your even thinking about selling your 360 probably means your not enjoying it as much anymore. Sell it, get a PC, and if you regret it I'm sure you can pick up a 360 dirt cheap later.
isv666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 isv666
Member since 2005 • 161 Posts

It really depends on how much you enjoy gaming.  I prefer to play on anything that I can, whether it's my PC, 360 or even my ol' NES.  But if your 360 is collecting dust and you have no deisre to play it or any console exclusives, then by all means, sell it.  Not sure how much you'd get for it, though.  If your budget only allows you to have one or the other, then I'd probably lean towards PC.  You get a lot of good games on PC, great prices, a wonderful indie market, etc.  

As far as desktop vs. laptop.  I go desktop all the way when it comes to gaming.  You can drop a few hundred dollars and get a pretty decent system.  Laptops are great for portability, but doller to performance ratio is horrible compared to desktop, they're also a lot more difficult and generally more expensive to upgrade.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

It really depends on how much you enjoy gaming.  I prefer to play on anything that I can, whether it's my PC, 360 or even my ol' NES.  But if your 360 is collecting dust and you have no deisre to play it or any console exclusives, then by all means, sell it.  Not sure how much you'd get for it, though.  If your budget only allows you to have one or the other, then I'd probably lean towards PC.  You get a lot of good games on PC, great prices, a wonderful indie market, etc.  

As far as desktop vs. laptop.  I go desktop all the way when it comes to gaming.  You can drop a few hundred dollars and get a pretty decent system.  Laptops are great for portability, but doller to performance ratio is horrible compared to desktop, they're also a lot more difficult and generally more expensive to upgrade.

isv666
I'm with you there isv666. I try to game on everything too. I still have my Saturn, t-16, Genesis, etc.. I try not to limit myself. Except for handhelds. Not really a big handheld gamer.
isv666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 isv666
Member since 2005 • 161 Posts

[QUOTE="isv666"]

godzillavskong

I'm with you there isv666. I try to game on everything too. I still have my Saturn, t-16, Genesis, etc.. I try not to limit myself. Except for handhelds. Not really a big handheld gamer.

Saturn and T-16, two systems I never got my hands on that I want for my collection.  Even have a few Saturn games ready to go!  I'm not huge on handhelds (and especially not mobile gaming), but my wife and I did get a 3DS earlier in the year.  I'm not gonna lie, I'm digging it more than I thought I would.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

Yes it's worth it. I built my first PC about 6 months ago for about $850 and it crushes just about everything I throw at it. I don't think I'll ever go back to consoles while they are current. I only play them for nostolgia trips. (ps2 looking at you)

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd022e642d9
deactivated-57dd022e642d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-57dd022e642d9
Member since 2003 • 677 Posts

Absolutly worth it!!!! Think about the games that are going to be released like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt!!!!!

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
Higher resolutions, extreme graphics settings, 8xMSAA, 16x Anisotropic Filtering, high quality Ambient Occlusion, HDR lighting, extreme texture quality, insane amounts of post processing effects, extremely high framerates, stereoscopic 3D gaming, the upcoming Oculus Rift, superior controls, the ridiculously cheap game sales.. There are a ton of advantages that PC gaming has over console gaming...
JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts

I want to sell my Limited Edition Halo 4 xbox 360 and everything with it(games controllers etc) and get into PC gaming.

Will it be worth it to sell my xbox 360 and everything with it and NOT get the PS4 and/or Xbox one also and just COMPLETLY switch over to PC gaming ONLY?

Im not that interested in the next gen consoles but i just think i would be missing out on the "new features" and exclusive games but i think i can live without Halo and God of war etc.  I for one love RTS games and that alone is better than anything on consoles to me and im looking forward to Rome: Total war 2.

Even if i do switch over, should i get /build a High end rig or  buy a Expensive gaming Laptop? I like/want the portabliliy of the laptop so that i can go places and game at my friends house etc.  Also does ASUS make good gaming Laptops in general?

Bottom line, can i go wrong with this?

biggerdjam

I'm not really in a situaation to advise you, since I've never owned a console.  Do consider that, when switching to PC for gaming --in the case of assembling a high end rig-- it's a costly investment, like, around $1200 for a decent desktop.  And I do mean desktop.  Don't go for a laptop when wanting to seriously game on it.  Laptops are for the most part non-upgradeable because in 95% of the cases the CPU and videochip are soldered to the mainboard.

In case you do get a high-end laptop, there's always the over-pricing to be considered, the heat issue and battery life.

Strange fact is that I myself am for the first time in my life considering a console (PS4) for the upcoming Bungie release "Destiny", that is, when Bungie persist and not release "Destiny" for the PC...

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 superclocked

Do consider that, when switching to PC for gaming --in the case of assembling a high end rig-- it's a costly investment, like, around $1200 for a decent desktop.

JimmyJumpy
Nah, my son's $500 desktop is twice as powerful as the PS4.. 3.6GHz Phenom II X4 + Motherboard = $120 4GB System RAM = $40 1.2GHz 7870 Tahiti LE 2GB = $200 (3.69 TFLOPS > PS4 + XB1 combined) 750w OCZ PSU = $60 Windows 7 = $80 (We used a 320GB HDD, DVD burner, and Case from a prebuilt PC that we got for free)
JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JimmyJumpy

[QUOTE="JimmyJumpy"]

Do consider that, when switching to PC for gaming --in the case of assembling a high end rig-- it's a costly investment, like, around $1200 for a decent desktop.

superclocked

Nah, my son's $500 desktop is twice as powerful as the PS4.. 3.6GHz Phenom II X4 + Motherboard = $120 4GB System RAM = $40 1.2GHz 7870 Tahiti LE 2GB = $200 (3.69 TFLOPS > PS4 + XB1 combined) 750w OCZ PSU = $60 Windows 7 = $80 (We used a 320GB HDD, DVD burner, and Case from a prebuilt PC that we got for free)

Maybe we have different opinions about "high end" then... :P

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
keep your xbox if you have to sell it to just get a pc, then it's not worth ti
JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JimmyJumpy

keep your xbox if you have to sell it to just get a pc, then it's not worth tiJigglyWiggly_

Now you look terribly cute all of a sudden... :D

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 superclocked

[QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="JimmyJumpy"]

JimmyJumpy

Maybe we have different opinions about "high end" then... :P

Well, it's not high end, but it gets a solid 60fps at 1080p with all settings maxed, so it's definitely good enough...
quikdash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 quikdash6
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts
I sold my MW2 360 with peripherals and games for $300. I made the decision to play PC more a few months back. I still have my PS3 for media like Blu-Ray and netflix, and exclusives like The Last of Us. If it's worth it is up to you. I'm sure there will be some exclusive games down the line that I'll want to play, but I can hold off for a while.
Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

definitely do it. PC and xbox have alot of overlaps for games, so you're not going to miss much. You will experience the best version of all games that you play and you have much more freedom. For example if you wanted, you could hook up an hdmi cable from your computer to your tv and hook up an xbox controller and now you can sit back and play video games from your couch. PC has the best racing games, the best fighting games, the best RTS games by a long shot, the best MMO games, the best FPS games by a long shot. The only thing that PC gaming loses to the consoles in is sports games, and adventure games (this is debatable though)

Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

Just don't count on having enough $$$ to get a gaming pc just from selling your 360. And do not get a laptop, build (or have one built) a custom gaming pc so you can upgrade as required along the way.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

I doubt you will get much for a 360 now, may as well keep it.

awax187187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 awax187187
Member since 2005 • 277 Posts
Stay with Xbox if your a stoner
7MZ000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 7MZ000
Member since 2005 • 209 Posts

Yes
I did this 6 years ago and have never looked back 

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

I doubt you will get much for a 360 now, may as well keep it.

dramaybaz
Yeah pretty much this. I guess if you bundle games with it you'll get more.