Why is my computer so slow at running games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Red_Clarity (7 posts) -
Alright, so I try to play Minecraft or Arma 2 but there is a huge delay and very slow frame rate. Even with the graphics on the lowest and fastest settings I can barely control where I am going. Can someone please let me know what I would need to improve in my computer to at least run these games smoothly at the lowest settings? I'm fairly new to all this. I'm not sure what information you'll need but here are some of my system specs: CPU - Intel Pentium G620 2.60GHz Motherboard - H61MXL Intel HD Graphic 1000 4GB RAM 1TB HDD Thanks in advance :]
#2 Posted by 04dcarraher (19665 posts) -
Its your onboard video causing the slowness. You need to pick up a graphics card. And that will depend on your power supply and budget.
#3 Posted by soolkiki (1769 posts) -

That looks like a laptop's specs.

#4 Posted by 04dcarraher (19665 posts) -

soolkiki
It dont look like it Since he has a G620 cpu and a foxconn H61MXL motherboard
#5 Posted by kraken2109 (13070 posts) -

You don't have a graphics card.

#6 Posted by soolkiki (1769 posts) -

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

04dcarraher

It dont look like it Since he has a G620 cpu and a foxconn H61MXL motherboard

Haha you're right. I should have googled it before I said anything. I just wasn't familiar with the model numbers. But yes, he is defninitely missing a graphics card. 

#7 Posted by Plagueless (2569 posts) -
Your computer has a fairly weak CPU and integrated GPU, (no dedicated graphics card) and it was never intended to play 3D games.
#8 Posted by Blistrax (1071 posts) -

Here are the specs for Minecraft. link

What power supply do you have?

#9 Posted by Red_Clarity (7 posts) -
I'm not sure. Is there a way to find out what power supply I have without physically opening the whole thing up? If not, I'll guess I'll find out tomorrow. Okay, so I need a better graphics card. One that's compatible with whatever power supply I have. And is that all? Problem solved? Thanks everyone for your help! I really appreciate it.
#10 Posted by Wever1988 (10 posts) -
Pretty much, For minecraft something like a GT620 could do if your power supply (PSU) alows it. But for Arma2 a GT620 will struggle, a GTX650TI would be better for that game. But that requires a heavyer PSU than the GT620. To sum it up, the videocard choice will depend on your PSU, CPU and of course your bugget.
#11 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

You need a graphics card instead of using that integrated intel graphics. 

#12 Posted by Blistrax (1071 posts) -

I'm not sure. Is there a way to find out what power supply I have without physically opening the whole thing up?Red_Clarity

No, probably. There is a label on the PSU with all the specs, but just the name and wattage would get us there. You might be able to see it from the outside, but you will probably have to take the side off after powering down and unplugging it.

#13 Posted by kungfool69 (2580 posts) -

if we assume its a prebuilt OEM machine like an acer or HP (more likely a compaq), then he will probably have no bigger then a 300w PSU. similar sized machines will not allow much bigger then a Radeon 7750 as the best choice.

#14 Posted by godzillavskong (7899 posts) -

if we assume its a prebuilt OEM machine like an acer or HP (more likely a compaq), then he will probably have no bigger then a 300w PSU. similar sized machines will not allow much bigger then a Radeon 7750 as the best choice.

kungfool69
Yep. Most of them are in the 200-300watt range.
#15 Posted by Red_Clarity (7 posts) -
It's a CWT PUFP305P Power supply with 305W Max. It's better than I expected.
#16 Posted by 04dcarraher (19665 posts) -
What is your budget for upgrading?
#17 Posted by Red_Clarity (7 posts) -
I cant really say an exact amount. But I think I can spend around £150 - £250.
#18 Posted by 04dcarraher (19665 posts) -

Here is an idea, just make sure you can fit a 9.5" card in your case. You can get AC3 and Metro last light with the gpu too.

GPU GTX 660 http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-evga-gtx-660-28nm-pcie-30-%28x16%29-6008mhz-gddr5-gpu-993mhz-boost-1059mhz-cores-960-dp-2x-dl-dvi-hd

500w PSU http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-corsair-cxm-builder-series-hybrid-modular-85-eff-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-fan-atx

#19 Posted by Red_Clarity (7 posts) -
I really like the look of those. And you get Metro and/or AC3? I just have to get this. I'm probably going to have to sell my good old PS3, though. Still... It's just gathering dust. I rarely use it anymore. I'll let you know how it goes. Once again, thank you so much for your help and everyone who replied. I appreciate it.
#20 Posted by kraken2109 (13070 posts) -
[QUOTE="Red_Clarity"]I really like the look of those. And you get Metro and/or AC3? I just have to get this. I'm probably going to have to sell my good old PS3, though. Still... It's just gathering dust. I rarely use it anymore. I'll let you know how it goes. Once again, thank you so much for your help and everyone who replied. I appreciate it.

If it helps, I barely used my PS3 these days.
#21 Posted by godzillavskong (7899 posts) -
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Red_Clarity"]I really like the look of those. And you get Metro and/or AC3? I just have to get this. I'm probably going to have to sell my good old PS3, though. Still... It's just gathering dust. I rarely use it anymore. I'll let you know how it goes. Once again, thank you so much for your help and everyone who replied. I appreciate it.

I mainly use my PS3 for madden, which is because my brother bought it for me because he only has a PS3, and wanted me to play with him. If I would have bought Madden it would've been on the 360, but since he bought it for me it's the only thing I really play on it, at the moment anyways. I get constant drops and lagging, which makes me believe it's due to the PSN. My download speed is above 40mbps and my upload is above 20mbps, so I don't think it's that. It's either EA servers or PSN. I wish I had it on XBox so I could at least try and check. Oh well. Yeah, done venting.
#22 Posted by kraken2109 (13070 posts) -
[QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Red_Clarity"]I really like the look of those. And you get Metro and/or AC3? I just have to get this. I'm probably going to have to sell my good old PS3, though. Still... It's just gathering dust. I rarely use it anymore. I'll let you know how it goes. Once again, thank you so much for your help and everyone who replied. I appreciate it.

I mainly use my PS3 for madden, which is because my brother bought it for me because he only has a PS3, and wanted me to play with him. If I would have bought Madden it would've been on the 360, but since he bought it for me it's the only thing I really play on it, at the moment anyways. I get constant drops and lagging, which makes me believe it's due to the PSN. My download speed is above 40mbps and my upload is above 20mbps, so I don't think it's that. It's either EA servers or PSN. I wish I had it on XBox so I could at least try and check. Oh well. Yeah, done venting.

Does it even have servers? Maybe it's peer to peer and your brother has a bad connection.
#23 Posted by godzillavskong (7899 posts) -
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] If it helps, I barely used my PS3 these days.

Does it even have servers? Maybe it's peer to peer and your brother has a bad connection.

No, not talking about against my brother, but rather th 50% - 60% of users I play against online in Madden
#24 Posted by Cyberdot (3538 posts) -

You're running on integrated graphics.

#25 Posted by imprezawrx500 (19187 posts) -
because you graphics card is intel's junk, you need a real graphics card to run well.
#26 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

You're running on integrated graphics.

Cyberdot
because you graphics card is intel's junk, you need a real graphics card to run well. imprezawrx500
Well said, a good one makes all the difference in the world.
#27 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5978 posts) -

Intel HD Graphic1000

My Friend has Intel 4000 and they are garbage too...

#28 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6047 posts) -

because it sucks