When are we finally going to get a kick-ass TRUE PC game?

• 72 results
Morrydwen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Morrydwen
Member since 2013 • 28 Posts

I have been waiting for years and years and don't see anything on the horizon. I am eagerly anticipating a game dedicated to the PC. Do these still exist? Are there any of those coming in the near future?

P.S. Forgot email of my dirt old gamespot account.

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RevanBITW
Member since 2013 • 739 Posts

Yes they already exist.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Star Citizen?

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Lol, wow. I'm almost embarrassed for you.

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

the witcher 3 my friend .

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Star Citizen....

Uh....

That's it. Sorry, PC gaming is dead. :o

The finished version of DayZ is all I'm really looking forward to, though the unfinished version will suffice for now...

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By JyePhye
Member since 2004 • 6173 Posts

Dumb. This... is dumb.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Define true PC game. Something with mods for the freedom aspect of PC gaming? Maybe a cRPG for the ideal M/K control aspect of PC gaming? How about a game that is so scalable that you can play it with almost any set of PC hardware, but it still looks awesome on high settings? There are plenty of kick-ass games in all of those categories.

PC is about freedom.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Star Citizen?

^^^ also Elite Dangerous, maybe not quite as grand as Star Citizen but still amazing.

Also I see Skyrim as a true PC game, with Mods the game is incredible and a completely different game to the console version.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@thehig1 said:

@MonsieurX said:

Star Citizen?

^^^ also Elite Dangerous, maybe not quite as grand as Star Citizen but still amazing.

Also I see Skyrim as a true PC game, with Mods the game is incredible and a completely different game to the console version.

I'd see it as a true PC game if...

A) The game was any good without mods (because it's not)

B) The game wasn't uber streamlined and didn't further casualize the ToS series

C) The game wasn't ugly (always was an ugly game, similar to Oblivion at launch)

True PC games make no sacrifices for consoles or their casual 'lot and cater to PC fans. Skyrim and Oblivion both epitomize the idea of a PC game that could've been so much more if not for their console counterparts, so obviously with that in mind I can't let anyone say Skyrim or Oblivion are true PC games in my backyard.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@thehig1 said:

@MonsieurX said:

Star Citizen?

I'd see it as a true PC game if...

A) The game was any good without mods (because it's not)

B) The game wasn't uber streamlined and didn't further casualize the ToS series

C) The game wasn't ugly (always was an ugly game, similar to Oblivion at launch)

True PC games make no sacrifices for consoles or their casual 'lot and cater to PC fans. Skyrim and Oblivion both epitomize the idea of a PC game that could've been so much more if not for their console counterparts, so obviously with that in mind I can't let anyone say Skyrim or Oblivion are true PC games in my backyard.

I see what you mean, I guess I'm not a true PC gamer yet. I abandoned consoles when the ps4 and x1 were released and have not regretted it.

They are just not worth the cash.

When I got Skyrim on PC I'd already played it on 360, but played it again on PC, my experience was so much better on the PC version I consider it a different game, yes that did include Mods I know but Mods are a part of PC gaming.

Anyway the PC version was better because

1 - Mods Mods Mods - The Interface change to make it more optimised to Keyboard and mouse, Companion mods, Location Mods, Graphics Mods, bug fix mods, I had over 100 mods installed and it was a completely different game. I get what you mean the game was not great without mods, but only on PC could the game be like that.

2- 60FPS, it really makes a difference and I find it hard to play at 30 FPS now.

Basically I see Skyrim as a true PC game because the PC experience you can have with that game cannot be matched by consoles.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Morrydwen said:

I have been waiting for years and years and don't see anything on the horizon. I am eagerly anticipating a game dedicated to the PC. Do these still exist? Are there any of those coming in the near future?

P.S. Forgot email of my dirt old gamespot account.

Quick answer: when consoles gaming will die.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Star Citizen my friend... other than that, its slim pickings on all platforms.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Looks like somebody's been under a rock..... Also be more Descriptive... Exatly what type of games do you like anyway ?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Tons of amazing PC-only games released in the past few years especially in the old school RPG department. Frankly it's been in RPG heaven for me :)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#16 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69470 Posts

True PC game? HAHAHA. People are so special sometimes. This modern PC elitism is hilarious.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

Lots!!! :D

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:

Lol, wow. I'm almost embarrassed for you.

My thoughts exactly! There have been some incredible "kick ass true" PC games that have come out this year alone. OP didn't even mention Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2, or others? Can't even fathom what he/she thinks are kick ass true games if he/she didn't even consider these games.

KillerK1ng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KillerK1ng
Member since 2014 • 135 Posts

Hang on a minute here guys, are we forgetting all about counter strike? I mean talk about setting the benchmark for online fps for the steam era?

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#20 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

Too many to count

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

smells like bait thread

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

The original Crysis still looks good and is PC only

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@Renevent42 said:

Tons of amazing PC-only games released in the past few years especially in the old school RPG department. Frankly it's been in RPG heaven for me :)

+1 for me too.

Plus I expect games like witcher 3 or DA:I.

And as many people said, they already exist. FPS, MMOs, ARPGs and CRPGs, Strategies etc etc....

Bieberfan147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bieberfan147
Member since 2012 • 106 Posts

PC gaming is dead, ty pirates, myself included

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Company of Heroes 1 & 2

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

ACS: A-10c Warthog is about as hardcore as a PC "game" can get, never mind silly little Star Citizen...

DeepStarCorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DeepStarCorp
Member since 2014 • 40 Posts
Loading Video...

@Morrydwen: Star Citizen bruh. Where have you been ?

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#29 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

+Star Citizen, it won't only be a true pc game, but probably the biggest game ever. Theres a lot true pc games already out there (just look at the library of simulations).

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

Company of Heroes 1 & 2

Someone stop this nostalgia train.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Civ: Beyond Earth comes out next week.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#32 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I was hoping for Star Citizen but they've already taken 50 million dollars from people... and the game by the looks of it will be a pay to win game. I guess getting 50 million dollars wasn't enough for them. I'm not sure how much Privateer or Freelancer cost to make but it was probably like 1% of that... and those games will probably live on to be more memorable.

Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

I wouldn't call Star citizen to be a "true PC game" ... what do you define as true pc game anyways ? If by "dedicated" you mean exclusive then there aren't that many ... the only genre still uncorrupted by consoles is teh RTS which suffers highly since publishers squeeze devs to make more products for console fanboys. If you add what little is left of the Sci-Fi genre you may get some hidden gems here and there.

Going by this logic ... Warcraft, Starcraft, Red Alert, Company of Heroes, Civilization Endless Legend, Settlers, Wargame, Total War, Age of Empires, Rise of Nations, Mount and Blade Crusader Kings, Tropico ... may be missing some strategy franchise (I'm just going by memory of some good games) ... then when talking about Sci-Fi you get space strategies 4X like SINS, exploration games Freelancer, some TBS like the X-COM with some good mods can be quite fascinating. ... these are the genuine PC games. Divinity: OS, Wasteland 2, modded Skyrim and Fallout are also something one can always get back to. You could also add some dungeon crawlers as well, but there are such a niche that my heart aches.

The upcoming No Man's Sky or Star Citizen sound promising, but "looking" and "feeling" is just guesses based on hype. Of course, there are some RPG games like The Witcher 3 which is supposed to come out next year as well, but that's about the only RPG game there is that could feel like a "genuine PC game". Modded Beyond Earth would be interesting to also get your hands on. We don't have as much as the screaming in the loop of puberty kids when it comes to genuine PC games, but it's still better than having nothing at all ... Besides, when you work or study during the day, the existing games are more than enough to kill your free time at night until the next "exclusive" comes out.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

There are tons, but Star Citizen looks awesome! I am enjoying PC space sims right now and have put some time into X Rebirth....

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#35 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Add Arma, Arma 2, Arma3

RandoJarfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RandoJarfat
Member since 2014 • 63 Posts

I think I enjoy reading online and finding out aobut new games as much or maybe even more than playing them! :)

I love to discuss thae state of the scene etc.

Wasteland 2 nice! didnt know anyhting aobut that. Baldiurs gate being one of my alltime favs I have a soft spot for isometric rpgs tho I still havent had the patience to complete a turn based one *blush*. I know some of the bigboys are turn based fallout etc just have never gotten over that bump of the game stopping every 30 seconds.

The civ games are the only ones Ive managed to get into that are turn based.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

OP should look at the stickied thread; those are real pc games, even then there are still many titles not listed there yet

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#38 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@RevanBITW said:

Yes they already exist.

@Gammit10 said:

Too many to count

@MonsieurX said:

Star Citizen?

Morrydwen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Morrydwen
Member since 2013 • 28 Posts

With "dedicated" I meant exclusive OR where the game's development is fully focused on pc first (with console as an afterthought).

I was already aware of Star citizen but that is a Space MMO and not a singleplayer. Elite Dangerous (never heard of before) seems to be in the same ballpark. I'll check it out anyway.

Witcher 3 will probably be similar to Witcher 2 which already felt like a console game. When it comes to RPG's; Divinity Original Sin is probably the only good one that came out this year. This is indeed the age of indie rpg's. Sadly many will be lackluster. But hopefully developers will learn from their mistakes. So there might be some future there.

I just have this feeling that these days there are not enough true PC titles being released. Before I created this thread, I already did my search on the internet to MAYBE find some hidden pc gems. People claim many but I guess you can count them on the fingers of two hands.

I do appreciate the feedback and suggestions; hence the creation of this thread.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

@Old_Gooseberry:

People like you who say its a pay to win have no idea what your talking about..Go to the forums its not a pay to win game..People crack me up when they talk about a game they have no idea..It looks like that now but when they release the game..It will be a save money buy your ship in game..You dont need to spend a dime except the game itself..Man you guys crack me up..Only thing that will be f2p an chris roberts said it..Is the different color ships one can buy.

Games going to be one of the best thats ever come out on the pc period..Have some thing for every thing along with fps in it..So get over the f2p crap

RandoJarfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RandoJarfat

@OP I pretty much agree wtih you on your definition and also appreciate loving PC focused titles.

I also agree that witcher is junk from the few minutes I played. The whole combat crap trying to make it all NEO from matrix style jumping around the screen really made me roll my eyes and want to shut it down. That was obviously inspired by the console 'crash crash bang bang 'splosions' generation.

Like you say I think that indie titles are the place to look. Unlike you I think this is the strongest place so dont see it as a negative like you implied.

Wasteland 2 look like a great title in this league. Loads more sleeper hit indie titles Ive been reading up on which I would never have heard of, too many to count. Dont ask me to name since I only just found out about them recently new names every day. Maybe you are complaining because they arent gettign recognised for their uburness by the cool kiddies? in which case you are having ego issues that the PC field is no longer recognized as the master race rather than worrying about the quality of the titles.

So I don't think its a case of there not being any titles they are just sleeper hits and thats how I like it really.

donalddoda22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By donalddoda22
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Indie Game = I can't figure out 3d Sketch up.... which is free...... it includes its own tutorial on how to do 3d design it took my dad Age:54 3 days to learn, it took him 2 days to make a full 3d scale model of our house, he's a boiler mechanic.

So just because indie game developers are lazy libertarians who don't wanna work I'm supposed to say "Naw graphics mean nothing in 2015 its all about 2d scrollers!" **** that raise your standards, their was a time when graphics, game mechanics, good story, and characters that stay with you where not only okay to ask for, but expected, that time was called the 90's.

I understand most indie games have 90's graphics, but understand those games where great in their time, because they where the pinnacle of their possible graphics combined with all the other core features a "GAMER" (not some nurse playing candy crush on her phone, or some loathsome half-adult who plays Minecraft) looks for.

Addictinggames.com is full of flash games, not something you play and talk to others about, games you play when your bored in a computer lab, these are not GAMES their the anecdotes of games at best, their that pong game at the loading screen of a REAL GAME.The fact that anyone would pay ANYTHING for these games is ludicrous. All it does is cause game companies to get lazy and contract out their work to other lazy so called artist, that are really just whiny liberals who will claim that ANYTHING is art so long as it comes from Hea----Fart. **** that Leonardo Da Vinci was an artist, Kazushige Nojima was an artist.

These so called "Devs" of indie games are nothing but wastes of air that have nothing and I mean nothing to contribute to this industry, and by the way the very premise that portal was even a acceptable puzzle game proves the direction that these companies are going, less active listening to the players and more money for their fat ass lazy pockets, Good Day!

(P.S. Sorry if you though portal was a "Good" puzzle game, i don't mean to offend the mentally retarded.)

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

@Morrydwen said:With "dedicated" I meant exclusive OR where the game's development is fully focused on pc first (with console as an afterthought).

I was already aware of Star citizen but that is a Space MMO and not a singleplayer. Elite Dangerous (never heard of before) seems to be in the same ballpark. I'll check it out anyway.

Witcher 3 will probably be similar to Witcher 2 which already felt like a console game. When it comes to RPG's; Divinity Original Sin is probably the only good one that came out this year. This is indeed the age of indie rpg's. Sadly many will be lackluster. But hopefully developers will learn from their mistakes. So there might be some future there.

I just have this feeling that these days there are not enough true PC titles being released. Before I created this thread, I already did my search on the internet to MAYBE find some hidden pc gems. People claim many but I guess you can count them on the fingers of two hands.

I do appreciate the feedback and suggestions; hence the creation of this thread.

Star citizen is not just an mmo, it will have single player too

Then there are Elite Dangerous which can be played offline and then there is Limit Theory which is exclusive single player game

For cRpg there are shitloads of them coming up aside from Wasteland 2, there are Pillars of Eternity, Torment Tides of Numenera as well as lower production quality as well like Age of Decadence

There is also other isometric turn based gems like Invisible Inc as well as real time one like Satellite Reign (Syndicate spiritual successor) even the hybrid one like The Mandate (Homeworld plus galactic civ plus crew boarding ops plus rpg)

There are several new rts in development as well

Even racing games! There are several pc exclusive for that like assetto corsa and next car game

Seriously READ THE STICKIED THREAD! Many gems there and most are pc exclusive!!!

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

Endless Legend and Banished were two kick-ass PC games that came out this year and Civ Beyond Earth is still coming.

RandoJarfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RandoJarfat

Lol banished started off strong but was a huge letdown. Started off SO strong then fell off like a cliff as soon as I got a gatherers hut. The game became an existential dead zone.

It isnt a complete game in my opinion and im certinaly not the only one who thinks so. IT could easily have kept things interesting if he tweaked it so there were a few more challenges other than starvation or if it was a constant threat. But once you have the getheres huts built you become pretty much invincible.

The game was SO fun before i figured how to gather tho because every winter was a struggle for survival and the whole year id be battling to find a food source/shelter etc. but as it goes- gahteres hut = game over.

---

I dont understand it...why do my posts get delted all the time? I thought it was cos i was pressing delete before but I know i didnt that time and sitll it was deleted.

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

There aren't many games that are "true" pc games. It's not because PC's suck; it's because companies can't control what players do with their product. We can mod it, redistribute it, and do all sort of things that they just don't want/like us doing. They like the profits in consoles because of all the "commission" they get out of selling games.

IJONOI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By IJONOI
Member since 2012 • 246 Posts

@Morrydwen: star citizen. Elite dangerous. Star craft. Wasteland 2. Divinity original sin.

LoL DOTA hearthstone

DayZ, Rust, The forest,

Archmage, KOTOR

Kerbal

This could take a while.

EDIT: Civilisation + Total War

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Wasteland 2, pillars of eternity,Divinity original sin, kerbal space program,Legend of grimrock 2, elite dangerous , star citizen,total war, civilization, plus tens if not hundreds of others.

It is your perception of what PC games are supposed to be that is wrong.