What should I upgrade on this computer first?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lyncaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lyncaster
Member since 2011 • 228 Posts

So I bought a HP H8 1414

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03517389&prodSeriesId=5295996

And I was thinking to upgrade the video card virst, since I heard it was a little weak. I was thinking this : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B5V614/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AJKIN2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which one should I choose? And what power supply should I pick? I am a total noob at this thing :P I'm fine with only running AAA games on medium/s little high settings. 

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

yeah off course update the videocard first

That cpu doesn't really need any updating yet, especially when you don't buy high or top end videocards

You should really choose that hd7750 That geforce 610 is not better than what you have now

That 7750 will run games quite nicely at 720p. (high to max settings) You will need a new power supply though, 300w isn't going to cut it.

Since you're clearly on a budget i would opt for this one

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Elite-Supply-RS460-PSARI3-US/dp/B002G1YPHK/ref=sr_1_9?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1362118247&sr=1-9

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 commander
IT would be better to dish out some more money though and buy this one http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Supply-RS500-PCARD3-US/dp/B001G0WPLK/ref=sr_1_2?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1362118247&sr=1-2
Lyncaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lyncaster

Thanks! how many watts on the power supply (the more expenisive one)? And how much difference will the video card really make? If it's not a big jump I will wait until my bDAy in October to buy :P

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 commander

Thanks! how many watts on the power supply (the more expenisive one)? And how much difference will the video card really make? If it's not a big jump I will wait until my bDAy in October to buy :P

Lyncaster

Well let's say the jump will be like going from a moped to a light motorcycle, a big jump. It's like driving 90 mph instead of 20. The hd 7450 isn't really made to play games, while the 7750 is made to play games.

The more expensive psu is 500W, but it's also a more durable one and will be able to handle stronger videocards (not the strongest but still) The 460W will be good too though, but you can't upgrade anymore then .

GunMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GunMonster
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Upgrade

No. 1 - Graphic Card - For higher gaming power

No. 2 - Power Supply - 400W+, better with bronze rating, to support the new graphic card

No. 3 - SSD - A 128GB SSD can load your OS & core software, and improve the overall performance

No. 4 - Gaming Keyboard & Mouse - base on the genre of game you like

The sequence shows the priority of importance~

Lyncaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lyncaster
Ah, thanks :D Ans how do Ichange it? Just unscrew and unplug the old and re screw and plug the new stuff in? Will I need to change software, etc.?
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 commander
Ah, thanks :D Ans how do Ichange it? Just unscrew and unplug the old and re screw and plug the new stuff in? Will I need to change software, etc.?Lyncaster
Don't listen to gunmonster, you're on a budget and a better cpu would be a better option instead of an ssd you don't need About the changing.. Get your old psu out of the case (don't open the psu itself), install the new one, connect everything to system like the old psu was connected Remove your old videocard, install the new one, connect your new videocard to the psu (the old one will not be connected to your psu, it uses a lot less power)
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Upgrade

No. 2 - Power Supply - 400W+, better with bronze rating, to support the new graphic card

No. 3 - SSD - A 128GB SSD can load your OS & core software, and improve the overall performance

GunMonster
He can't upgrade to a better graphics card without a better power supply... TC what is your budget for GPU and PSU?
Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

Ah, thanks :D Ans how do Ichange it? Just unscrew and unplug the old and re screw and plug the new stuff in? Will I need to change software, etc.?Lyncaster

The 7750 is leaps and bounds ahead of your card. I'd say it's more like going from a ten-speed bicycle to a light motorcycle. You will see a big difference, and it will be money well spent.

As for doing it, unplug it first. Always have the computer unplugged (not just with the power strip switched off or anything, but actually physically unplugged) whenever you are about to remove the side of the case. There is one screw at the back holding the bracket in, and that's it. Be firm but gentle rocking the old graphics card out and fiddling the new one in. Be sure it's seated before screwing it down. If you're worried about static, touch a cold water pipe or the center screw of a wall socket first. Plug it back in last thing.

As for the power supply, take a picture of the inside of your case before you remove the old one so you know what goes where. Some of the plugs will have little catches you have to release like with your thumb as you pull them off. The new supply may well have a cable or two that you will not be using, so don't worry about it if there are things left dangling when you're done. Sometimes there are differences, like where the old one had an 8-pin plug, the new one will have a 6+2 or something like that. Everything keys together, though, so there's no way you can get anything on wrong. It's pretty foolproof.

You should go to the AMD website and download whatever graphics driver you will need for the 7750 before you begin. Install the new driver when you get back into Windows. Windows will have installed some sort of driver already, and it might even be the one you downloaded, but do it anyway.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

A 7750 might be able to go in there without upgrading the power supply.

Have you actually used this computer?  Why don't you try it as is and if it doesn't game the way you like, then you can upgrade the graphics card.

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Blistrax

GummiRaccoon

AMD says it wants 400W.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Blistrax

AMD says it wants 400W.

Are you seriously that dense?

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Blistrax

AMD says it wants 400W.

7750 consumes no more than 60-65W at load and the whole system of Tc wont consume more than 200W. Unless that power supply is completely junk and has is less than 70%efficient it will suffice for a 7750 Having said that upgrading to a nice 400-450W power supply your pc will run most efficiently ( resulting less power consumption ) and can upgrade to a better Gpu in the feature without needing a psu upgrade
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 commander
[QUOTE="Blistrax"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

adamosmaki

AMD says it wants 400W.

7750 consumes no more than 60-65W at load and the whole system of Tc wont consume more than 200W. Unless that power supply is completely junk and has is less than 70%efficient it will suffice for a 7750 Having said that upgrading to a nice 400-450W power supply your pc will run most efficiently ( resulting less power consumption ) and can upgrade to a better Gpu in the feature without needing a psu upgrade

That 300W psu is probably not high quality. Do you really want him to destroy his system?. It will work , i know that too, but it's a bad idea, so don't give him any ideas, people on a budget tend to do that.
Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blistrax

[QUOTE="Blistrax"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

AMD says it wants 400W.

Are you seriously that rude and stupid? You say it "might" go in there. What good does that piece of worthless opinion do the OP? The PSU "might" not blow and take the rest of the computer with it. I'll take my chances ignoring the surmises of a raccoon-shaped piece of candy and taking the advice of the manufacturer. Maybe you're drunk, and if so I forgive you.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="Blistrax"]

AMD says it wants 400W.

Blistrax

Are you seriously that rude and stupid? You say it "might" go in there. What good does that piece of worthless opinion do the OP? The PSU "might" not blow and take the rest of the computer with it. I'll take my chances ignoring the surmises of a raccoon-shaped piece of candy and taking the advice of the manufacturer. Maybe you're drunk, and if so I forgive you.

Why does your ignorance deserve politeness?

His system with a 7750 will not draw anywhere near 300W.

You must also be one of those people that think if you don't eject your usb thumb drive you wipe it.

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Blistrax

[QUOTE="Blistrax"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

You must also be one of those people that think if you don't eject your usb thumb drive you wipe it.

How do you know how many watts it will draw? That would be useful information for the OP, who has to be wondering whether such an insulting attitude as yours doesn't stem from a fear of exposure as an idiot, as it often does. And yes, I am one of those people. I also close cover before striking and keep my head and arms inside the car at all times.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="Blistrax"]

Blistrax

How do you know how many watts it will draw? That would be useful information for the OP, who has to be wondering whether such an insulting attitude as yours doesn't stem from a fear of exposure as an idiot, as it often does. And yes, I am one of those people. I also close cover before striking and keep my head and arms inside the car at all times.

One (1) PCI-E 16x slot can provide a maximum of 75W of power to the graphics card.  A 7750 does not come with an external power connector, therefore it will draw, at most 75W of power.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Simmer down chaps.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Blistrax

AMD says it wants 400W.

My spare GTX 580 doesn't even consume that much power O.o
Lyncaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lyncaster
Now I am confused :P And to whoever asked, I have not even turned the computer on yet, and cant until Monday probably. I have seen some vids of the original system playing BF3 at high with 35-40 fps.
Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Blistrax

One (1) PCI-E 16x slot can provide a maximum of 75W of power to the graphics card. A 7750 does not come with an external power connector, therefore it will draw, at most 75W of power.

GummiRaccoon

Thank you.

@C_Rule: For my part, we were just jousting a bit. All in good fun.

Lyncaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lyncaster

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

One (1) PCI-E 16x slot can provide a maximum of 75W of power to the graphics card. A 7750 does not come with an external power connector, therefore it will draw, at most 75W of power.

Blistrax

Thank you.

So, do I need the PSU?
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 commander
[QUOTE="Blistrax"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Lyncaster

Thank you.

So, do I need the PSU?

If you don't want to take the risk that your new computer goes up in flames (figuratively speaking), yes
Lyncaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lyncaster
hm, alright then. I'll wait and see how it performs on BF3 before I make a definitive call. I might just wait and get it on my bday.
Lyncaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lyncaster
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL030113&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL030113-_-EMC-030113-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17171031-L05C What about this PSU?
Lyncaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lyncaster
ignore that, it is the same as the one he originally posted :P Thanks for your help everyone, I'll be sure to update Monday with my findings :D
Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Blistrax

[QUOTE="Blistrax"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Elann2008

AMD says it wants 400W.

OK, but in case the OP wonders, the PSU recommendation on the graphics card manufacturer's website is for the whole rig; it is not what the card alone draws. It is obviously an approximation, because they can't know what you have in your box. Me, I like significant overkill in a PSU. Your mileage may vary.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="Blistrax"]

AMD says it wants 400W.

Blistrax

OK, but in case the OP wonders, the PSU recommendation on the graphics card manufacturer's website is for the whole rig; it is not what the card alone draws. It is obviously an approximation, because they can't know what you have in your box. Me, I like significant overkill in a PSU. Your mileage may vary.

power supplies perform best when they are rated for a certain percentage higher than your systems power draw.  So doubling down on a high wattage psu if your system doesn't draw that much power is not good.

seany_lad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 seany_lad
Member since 2007 • 250 Posts

Hi people i've got a similar question. What do you think i should upgrade first?

My specs are:
CPU: intel core i5 Quad core i5-3470 (3.2 Ghz) 6mb Cache
Ram: 8Gb (1333Mhz) 2x 4Gb
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-M
HDD: 1TB (7200RPM) 32MB Cache
PSU: 450W

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 commander

Hi people i've got a similar question. What do you think i should upgrade first?

My specs are:

seany_lad
your gpu, but do you really think you need an upgrade?
seany_lad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 seany_lad
Member since 2007 • 250 Posts
Well nonot yet anyway but I just wondered thanks anyway
tionmedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tionmedon
Member since 2006 • 468 Posts

Upgrade

GunMonster
no.1 psu=with out the watts no gpu.... no.2 gpu no.3 ssd no.4 mouse and keyboard..........
Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Blistrax

My specs are:

seany_lad

It depends on what you do. Of the things you list, the graphics card is the weak link, and you will need a better PSU to support it. There is also the matter of the monitor (it's what you have to look at the whole time whatever else you have). Most PC gamers don't pay enough attention to sound, too. Get a home theater setup with an AVR and decent audiophile (NOT Logitech) 5.1 speakers (with subwoofer) and feed it through HDMI from the GTX.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

My specs are:

seany_lad
Monitor or headphones
_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Simmer down chaps.C_Rule

tisssss *sizzling noise*

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#39 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="Blistrax"]

Blistrax

Lmfao. That made my night. Great comeback comment, " I also close cover before striking and keep my head and arms inside the car at all times" Good stuff.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#40 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
[QUOTE="seany_lad"]

My specs are:

evildead6789
your gpu, but do you really think you need an upgrade?

Ditto.