Weird spin drive issue: 3+ mins loading Hearthstone decks!?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Neo_Sarevok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Neo_Sarevok
Member since 2003 • 3108 Posts

You shouldn't have to play Hearthstone to know my issue. I'm just using it as an example. I have two drives:

C: My operating system and misc files.

E: All my games.

I have Hearthstone installed to the E drive. When I launch the game, it's fine, until I load my decks or start a match. It then takes 3+ mins to load. I can hear one of my drives working insanely hard. This seems odd to me, considering Hearthstone is not technically demanding. Both of my drives have plenty of HD space (both ~100 GB free out of ~590 GB total). Once this 3+ minute load phase is complete, I never have to worry, until I quit Hearthstone and re-launch it.

-----------

Two questions:

1.) Which drive is the culprit, do you think? The E drive storing the games, or is the game somehow passing commands through my C drive?

2.) How do I fix it, if I can? Should I replace the HDD? Reformat? I already tried reinstalling and defrag, which did nothing.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Neo_Sarevok said:

You shouldn't have to play Hearthstone to know my issue. I'm just using it as an example. I have two drives:

I have Hearthstone installed to the E drive. When I launch the game, it's fine, until I load my decks or start a match. It then takes 3+ mins to load. I can hear one of my drives working insanely hard. This seems odd to me, considering Hearthstone is not technically demanding. Both of my drives have plenty of HD space (both ~100 GB free out of ~590 GB total). Once this 3+ minute load phase is complete, I never have to worry, until I quit Hearthstone and re-launch it.

-----------

Two questions:

1.) Which drive is the culprit, do you think? The E drive storing the games, or is the game somehow passing commands through my C drive?

2.) How do I fix it, if I can? Should I replace the HDD? Reformat? I already tried reinstalling and defrag, which did nothing.

1) If the game is on the E: Drive, then it will load mostly from that drive. Do other games also have a slower than normal loading times? and the HDD works too much on other games as well?

2) You could first try a "chkdsk /R" on the E: Drive to fix bad sectors, but to be safe I would buy a new drive.

Neo_Sarevok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Neo_Sarevok
@FelipeInside said:

1) If the game is on the E: Drive, then it will load mostly from that drive. Do other games also have a slower than normal loading times? and the HDD works too much on other games as well?

2) You could first try a "chkdsk /R" on the E: Drive to fix bad sectors, but to be safe I would buy a new drive.

1.) I believe it's only on Hearthstone, although I have noticed when I try to run League of Legends, the network login will timeout the first time and I have to keep logging in until the game lets me on. It's been like this for weeks. I think maybe the client is mistaking my long HDD load time as a network error, so it's timing me out and saying I can't connect to the server.

2.) I will try this now and report back.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside

@Neo_Sarevok said:

@FelipeInside said:

1.) I believe it's only on Hearthstone, although I have noticed when I try to run League of Legends, the network login will timeout the first time and I have to keep logging in until the game lets me on. It's been like this for weeks. I think maybe the client is mistaking my long HDD load time as a network error, so it's timing me out and saying I can't connect to the server.

2.) I will try this now and report back.

The "chkdsk /R" will take about an hour or more.

Another test I just thought of is why don't you install Hearthstone on the C: Drive and see if it does the same thing?

Neo_Sarevok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Neo_Sarevok

@FelipeInside said:

Another test I just thought of is why don't you install Hearthstone on the C: Drive and see if it does the same thing?

I did the chkdsk on the drive, but it reported no bad sectors and didn't fix anything that I can tell.

I've now installed Hearthstone to the C: and sure enough it loads great, so yea the E: drive is definitely the culprit. Well, I guess that settles it then. I recently acquired an SSD hard drive which I'll be replacing the E: drive with. My biggest concern was isolating which hard drive was the culprit, so I feel better now knowing what to remove. Thanks, Felipe.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside

@Neo_Sarevok said:

@FelipeInside said:

I did the chkdsk on the drive, but it reported no bad sectors and didn't fix anything that I can tell.

I've now installed Hearthstone to the C: and sure enough it loads great, so yea the E: drive is definitely the culprit. Well, I guess that settles it then. I recently acquired an SSD hard drive which I'll be replacing the E: drive with. My biggest concern was isolating which hard drive was the culprit, so I feel better now knowing what to remove. Thanks, Felipe.

No problem, glad I could help. Most of the time computer problems are solved by form of elimination.

See if that E: drive is under warranty and if so, you might be able to get a replacement.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Neo_Sarevok said:

-----------

Two questions:

1st lets make sure your HDD isn't damaged by any means: http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html download CrystalDisk Mark and run the test - let me know what speed you're getting.

2nd make sure you have some 10Gb spare on your HDD left empty because it's HDD and not SSD it'll run like crap if it's close to full

3rd defragment your HDD.

EDIT: I've seen that you're already solved the problem :D