Warner Bros. sends Cease and Desist letter to the MERP Mod team for Skyrim

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by darneddemiser88 (61 posts) -

Warner Brothers have sent a cease and desist letter to the creators of "Middle Earth Roleplaying Project" for Skyrim. The developement of the mod has stopped since this order from WB, but the team says that this is not finished yet.

Link to this news:http://www.moddb.com/mods/merp-middle-earth-roleplaying-project/news/merp-cd

#2 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1731 posts) -

They could just make a satire of middle earth and problem solved.

#3 Posted by jakes456 (1437 posts) -

pathetic.

#4 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4139 posts) -

pathetic.

jakes456

Yeah. How dare companies protect their brand names!!

#5 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

pathetic.

Toxic-Seahorse

They want to protect themselves and their mediocre games from being outshined by a mod team.
#6 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4089 posts) -

And yet those guys who created World of Warcraft in Minecraft are left alone?

#7 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13613 posts) -

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

pathetic.

Toxic-Seahorse

What is art

#8 Posted by mhofever (3954 posts) -

They did a bad job with their first LOTR game, so they're worried about their future games not selling due to the fact that people would just play the MERP mod in Skyrim for the LOTR experience. It would actually be the company's fault for not creating a game worth buying.

#9 Posted by MadCat46 (1494 posts) -

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

pathetic.

Toxic-Seahorse

Two things. First it's not Warner's Brothers brand, they're the current holder of a specific license leased to them by Tolkien Enterprises. Second, exactly what are they protecting it from? An entity generating zero income and having no affiliation with Warner?
#10 Posted by QQabitmoar (1969 posts) -

There are many LOTR mods for other games, byt the only send a c&d to a mod for a very popular game. Ya, everyone can see what's going on here.

#11 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16689 posts) -

Same thing happened to a LOTR/middle earth mod for Oblivion that was looking very promising:(

#12 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5390 posts) -
I don't see why they need to stop development - all they need to do is change a few names and problem solved. Let WB give them free publicity if they want.
#13 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

Just make a damn proper LOTR RPG then instead of stopping all the others from trying

#14 Posted by darneddemiser88 (61 posts) -

I have heard that one of the reasons that they C&D innovative, good projects like this is because in copyright law, they can lose their status with said copyright if they do not defend it when being infringed upon. Probably haven't translated that very well from legal terms into human terms, but I blame flawed copyright laws. I still put blame into WB for having to be so evil as to C&Ding a project that does not make any profits.

This could be minorly beneficial to WB. For exampe, Skyrim customer loves Skyrim, but doesn't know much about Lotr. Said Skyrim customer sees this huge Lotr mod and tries it out. This customer has now been introduced to Lotr through an entirely different means of advertisement. Especially because MERP is a completely non-profit project. I don't see what WB gains by the C&D.

The lengths that all of these large corporations go to sue the little guys in fear of a .0001% drop in profits really grinds my gears.

#15 Posted by Mackey18 (335 posts) -

I personally don't think WB have the strongest grounds in the world. It's a mod, a nonchalant piece of work created by lots of individuals working in their own time to release a modification for a another game. It's not like they're even releasing a free, standalone game, it's a mod. I think the word needs to be spread more.

#16 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4139 posts) -
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

pathetic.

MadCat46

Two things. First it's not Warner's Brothers brand, they're the current holder of a specific license leased to them by Tolkien Enterprises. Second, exactly what are they protecting it from? An entity generating zero income and having no affiliation with Warner?

They don't want anything to diminish the name. I'm not saying that the mod would, but you can't use someone else's name to make a game. They have no idea how it's going to turn out.
#17 Posted by DraugenCP (8477 posts) -

They have a habit of doing this. I remember them taking draconic measures against 11-year old kids with Space Jam fan sites back in the day. Big men gonna act big.

#18 Posted by MonsieurX (30484 posts) -

pathetic.

jakes456
Just like your usual posts.
#19 Posted by STEVEWADE93 (15 posts) -

and yes Mr. Money goes to money

#20 Posted by Branmuffin316 (1200 posts) -

[QUOTE="MadCat46"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] Yeah. How dare companies protect their brand names!!

Toxic-Seahorse

They don't want anything to diminish the name. I'm not saying that the mod would, but you can't use someone else's name to make a game. They have no idea how it's going to turn out.

You say this like WB cares. If they aren't making any money off of it than they don't want anyone to use it.

#21 Posted by BattleSpectre (6251 posts) -

Warner Bros. has spoken guys it's out of our hands now, no matter how much we like it or not. Cease and Desist immediately or they will be forced to take action. Surrender! lol

Anyways if i was part of the Mod team i'd just change the name of the mod and release it anyway. I think thats what they're going to do, change a few things here and there and we'll get to see it.

PS: I think it'd be pretty cool being contacted by a big name company like Warner Bros even if it wasn't for some good news. :P

#22 Posted by Planeforger (15801 posts) -

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

pathetic.

MadCat46

1) They spent a lot of money to get that exlcusive licence to make Lord of the Rings games, so...yeah, they're going to defend their investment.

2) The free mod still has a lot of potential to hurt their sales (for example, people looking for a LotR game might buy Skyrim rather than their own products), and it's never a good thing to set a trend of letting other people use the IP that they've licenced.

#23 Posted by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

What sucks is these big corporations don't do #$%^ worth buying with these licenses. Kind of like EA with the NFL license, if another company were allowed to make an NFL game EA would be forced to actually improve theirs.

#24 Posted by Mcspanky37 (1695 posts) -

[QUOTE="MadCat46"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] Yeah. How dare companies protect their brand names!!Toxic-Seahorse

You do know there are a lot more diminishing things to a name than a free mod bringing free attention and popularity to the IP. They should be writing them a thank-you letter. Even if the mod is absolute crap, all that free attention to the IP paid off in the end. Them shutting down the mod will likely bring more negativity to everyone involved than letting it run.

#25 Posted by HyperWarlock (3261 posts) -

They could just not use any of the names from LOTR but make it blatantly obvious that it's set in toikens universe.

#26 Posted by ardent163 (407 posts) -

Warner Bros. is being overprotective of intellectual propery.

Tolkien estate sues over Lord of the Rings online games <--- lol this thing was listed at the top of "More from Gamespot"

#27 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

and yes Mr. Money goes to money

STEVEWADE93

Did you really need to bump this dead thread to say that?

#28 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

There's a mod for Rome total war that makes it LOTR, and I think there was a mod like this on oblivion. Why are they just now stopping these mods?

#29 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

There's a mod for Rome total war that makes it LOTR, and I think there was a mod like this on oblivion. Why are they just now stopping these mods?

cain006

pretty sure they issued a cease and desist order regarding the oblivion mod, too.