Want to Upgrade my RAM – Currently at 4GB.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gatekept

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 gatekept
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I've been working with 4GBs of RAM for about a year and a half now and it's killing me.

I usually have a whole bunch of programs open at once – Photoshop, a game, Microsoft Word, tons of internet browser tabs...let's just say I like to multi-task.

Needless to say, my computer doesn't love it. So I want to upgrade my RAM. I believe what I have in there now is one stick of DDR3 Crucial, not sure of the speed. I think 1600?

Would love some suggestions on a set of sticks, would like to buy something a little more premium.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#2 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

G.Skill - 2X4GB @ 1866mhz Timing - 9-10-9-28

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Yeah, you do need a 64 bit OS to run more then 4GB.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@gatekept said:

I've been working with 4GBs of RAM for about a year and a half now and it's killing me.

I usually have a whole bunch of programs open at once – Photoshop, a game, Microsoft Word, tons of internet browser tabs...let's just say I like to multi-task.

Needless to say, my computer doesn't love it. So I want to upgrade my RAM. I believe what I have in there now is one stick of DDR3 Crucial, not sure of the speed. I think 1600?

Would love some suggestions on a set of sticks, would like to buy something a little more premium.

If you want to add another 4Gb of RAM better to use the exact same module - that's important to prevent compatibility issues.

If you edit a lot of stuff and use other programs besides photoshop I'd recommend you getting 16Gb of fast RAM (1866Mhz and above)

I recommend on this : http://pcpartpicker.com/part/mushkin-memory-997121 but then again, you'll need a MOBO that will allow such speeds.

Name your MOBO module so we could know with what we're dealing here

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Windows 7 Home Prem has a 16 GB RAM limit.

Windows 8 standard has 128 GB RAM limit.

I buy RAM based on 3 things. Timings > Voltage > Clock. I typically recommend if 1-2 steps above your CPU in the speed it supports. Match the voltage or get lower if you can. Timings are how snappy it will be. I love low latency.

Sandy Bridge I5 and I7 1333MHz, 1.5v... So any RAM 1600 or 1866 with 1.5v or lower.

Ivy Bridge I5 and I7 1600 MHz, 1.5v... Any RAM 1866 or 2133 with 1.5v or lower.

gatekept

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By gatekept
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@roulettethedog said:

You need a 64 bit operating system to go past 4 gigs of R.A.M.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_8

I'm on a 64-bit OS.

@PredatorRules said:

@gatekept said:

If you want to add another 4Gb of RAM better to use the exact same module - that's important to prevent compatibility issues.

If you edit a lot of stuff and use other programs besides photoshop I'd recommend you getting 16Gb of fast RAM (1866Mhz and above)

I recommend on this : http://pcpartpicker.com/part/mushkin-memory-997121 but then again, you'll need a MOBO that will allow such speeds.

Thanks for the info :) I'd be fine with just buying a different brand and replacing the one I have. Motherboard is an Asus M5A97 2.0

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@gatekept said:

@roulettethedog said:

You need a 64 bit operating system to go past 4 gigs of R.A.M.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_8

I'm on a 64-bit OS.

@PredatorRules said:

@gatekept said:

I'd be fine with just buying a different brand and replacing the one I have. Motherboard is an Asus M5A97 2.0

Ok then, you can pick up the RAM that I've suggested you, if you don't OC the CPU the RAM speed will be lowered to 1866Mhz, but if you OC the CPU you'll gain 2133Mhz (the full speed of the RAM)

If you decide to go with 8Gb, depending on the programs you use (Photoshop uses 3.2Gb so if that's the only heavy thing you use - the 8Gb will be good and save you half of the money: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f32133c9d8gxl I recommend on this

EDIT: I just noticed this: "As much RAM as you can fit in your computer" is the recommended if you use Windows 64bit and CS 64bit version.

So your MOBO supports up to 32Gb of RAM, how much budget limit you've got? :P