Valve is an interesting creature...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

I just logged into Steam, and whaddya know?! All of my games were uninstalled.

Was there an update that stated somewhere that this was going to be a "thing" for everyone?

Enlighten me please because that's a ton of bandwidth.

#2 Edited by KHAndAnime (13911 posts) -

All my games are installed. Are your game files present in the SteamApps forum? You might need to just reinstall Steam.

#3 Edited by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

I haven't touched a darn thing. I come home today from work, log in and bam. =( My steamapps folder is completely empty and it wasn't moved anywhere either. It's like a phantom hit 'n run. I don't know what else to do but start downloading again. I just installed like 20 new mods on Skyrim and I've been meaning to play it since I've always had it vanilla. Plus, numerous multiplayer and single-player games.

I think it's time to change my password again. Creepy!

#4 Posted by osan0 (12750 posts) -

check the recycle bin! :P

is it possible to uninstall games remotely in steam? i know you can use the steam app on mobile devices to start downloading.

most likely thing is someone used your PC and messed everything up. best thing to do is interrogate everyone you know with access to the PC. use cher music if you have to :P.

if no one did it then your HDD may be on the way out. thats a huge chunk of data to just go missing.

i dont know how good your internet connection is but if its crap like mine (it will take 5 nights for me to download arkham city. oh woe is me! :( ). then make backups to an external harddrive. very handy for when things like that happen.

#5 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

It's definitely steam. I've been reading the forums and it seems to be a widespread problem since the update on Dec 3. My hard drive still shows the same amount being used as if the games are still there. But the steamapps folder is completely empty. All of my other non-steam games are intact. Definitely not the hard drive and very uncharacteristic of a hard drive to do that.

I'll just reinstall steam like KH said, and i'll report back.

#6 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

Well that didn't work out. The games that were on there are still taking up space on my hard drive even though they have been uninstalled (even in control panel). So I don't know what's going on.

#7 Posted by PredatorRules (8177 posts) -

It did download update today and Steam crushed; After I relunched it it updated and everything was working fine.

#8 Edited by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

It did download update today and Steam crushed; After I relunched it it updated and everything was working fine.

Ahhh you're lucky. I'm pissed. Ugh. I have no grudge but this is very inconvenient. Just finished my final exams and i was looking to rock some video games. Eh. I'm on the verge of wiping in D: drive. THank goodness it isnt my OS drive, as it should be that way. THanks for the post though.. this sucks!

#9 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

All my games are installed. Are your game files present in the SteamApps forum? You might need to just reinstall Steam.

Have you been participating in the steam beta? I'm not. I'm asking because I'll probably leave that selected next time. I'm not participating in the steam beta.

#10 Posted by PredatorRules (8177 posts) -

@Elann2008 said:

@PredatorRules said:

It did download update today and Steam crushed; After I relunched it it updated and everything was working fine.

Ahhh you're lucky. I'm pissed. Ugh. I have no grudge but this is very inconvenient. Just finished my final exams and i was looking to rock some video games. Eh. I'm on the verge of wiping in D: drive. THank goodness it isnt my OS drive, as it should be that way. THanks for the post though.. this sucks!

Yeah I understand you I've done tons of formats and It's a bummer to download everything again; I mean unless you've got some 100Mbit ISP connection which will take you few min to download any game.

#11 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@Elann2008 said:

@PredatorRules said:

It did download update today and Steam crushed; After I relunched it it updated and everything was working fine.

Ahhh you're lucky. I'm pissed. Ugh. I have no grudge but this is very inconvenient. Just finished my final exams and i was looking to rock some video games. Eh. I'm on the verge of wiping in D: drive. THank goodness it isnt my OS drive, as it should be that way. THanks for the post though.. this sucks!

Yeah I understand you I've done tons of formats and It's a bummer to download everything again; I mean unless you've got some 100Mbit ISP connection which will take you few min to download any game.

Thanks for understanding mate. Yeah, I tried most of the "fixes" I've read on Steam forums with no avail. I wish it was that simple for me to just have it working again. I went ahead and wiped my D: drive. There wasn't much on it other than the massive amount of games. Then again, I only played about 10% of the games I installed anyhow. Most of them were multiplayer games so I can just jump in when a friend wanted to game.

My internet speed is pretty good. It will take a bit, but it isn't bad per say. I'm glad about that at least. :D

I guess it's good perhaps. Give my hard drive a fresh clean start again.

#12 Posted by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

i havent even noticed steam updates in months, whatever they are changing sure isnt visual

#13 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

i havent even noticed steam updates in months, whatever they are changing sure isnt visual

Yeah, I haven't even been on the beta version so yeah I don't see much of a change.. except that they no longer let you pause and resume update in the game library menu. You have to right click and go to manage downloads and appears a separate screen. They added some blue visuals but it's useless. Those are changes, but they hamper the interface than improve it. I prefer it the way before. Some games even lock me out from updates like Arma 3 which I don't even have installed. I can't even option out of updates. Just a mess. I try to ignore though.

#14 Edited by Marfoo (5994 posts) -

I noticed that all my games were "uninstalled" as well after a recent update. However just clicking install on one of them and pointing Steam to an existing library on my HDD it immediately recognized that they were all installed and everything went back to normal.

#15 Edited by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

@Elann2008 said:

@wis3boi said:

i havent even noticed steam updates in months, whatever they are changing sure isnt visual

Yeah, I haven't even been on the beta version so yeah I don't see much of a change.. except that they no longer let you pause and resume update in the game library menu. You have to right click and go to manage downloads and appears a separate screen. They added some blue visuals but it's useless. Those are changes, but they hamper the interface than improve it. I prefer it the way before. Some games even lock me out from updates like Arma 3 which I don't even have installed. I can't even option out of updates. Just a mess. I try to ignore though.

ah mine appears still roughly the same as always, i guess because I use the PixelVision skin

#16 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@Elann2008 said:

@wis3boi said:

i havent even noticed steam updates in months, whatever they are changing sure isnt visual

Yeah, I haven't even been on the beta version so yeah I don't see much of a change.. except that they no longer let you pause and resume update in the game library menu. You have to right click and go to manage downloads and appears a separate screen. They added some blue visuals but it's useless. Those are changes, but they hamper the interface than improve it. I prefer it the way before. Some games even lock me out from updates like Arma 3 which I don't even have installed. I can't even option out of updates. Just a mess. I try to ignore though.

ah mine appears still roughly the same as always, i guess because I use the PixelVision skin

I'll give that a try and see if it reverts some stuff. Thanks

#17 Posted by kraken2109 (13075 posts) -

If your hard drive shows the same amount of space in use i'd assume they're there somewhere.

How odd.

#18 Posted by adamosmaki (9656 posts) -

i feel your pain but they must be somewhere if HD it still been used. And a word of advice always backup ( had a random out of nowhere delete of 1 Skyrim for some reason but i had my backups )

#19 Posted by Treflis (11575 posts) -

Just tossing a theory out there but maybe your hard drive got some bad sectors or is about to die and as a result some programs will be unable to locate various files.

#20 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

@Treflis said:

Just tossing a theory out there but maybe your hard drive got some bad sectors or is about to die and as a result some programs will be unable to locate various files.

It's a good theory. But if that theory were true, then it would have took some other files with it too. It is specifically steam folder only. A quick google shows that others have gone through this. While other people went through it with a simple fix of simply installing one game and it refreshed and brought all games back.. my case wasn't such a simple fix. Wish it was. I just ended up wiping my drive and it's great again.

Yeah, I'll make sure I make a backup this time. Thanks guys!