Trying to pc again not really feeling it

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

Got a new pc, framerates are bad in some games. I dloaded motionjoy so i could use my ps3 controller and it doesn't work in half the games and the buttons are all misconfigured. dloaded steam. downloads getting hung up etc... trying to play war of vikings right now and its just sitting on the load screen for hte last 5 minutes and doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

I pc gamed all through my youth. Went to consoles because graphically they are close now and you dont have to configure everything.

any help here on why my controller isnt working? thats the biggest issue i have and its annoying.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Well, if you buy a new PC that isn't made for gaming, you're bound to get all sorts of problems when trying to game. If you want to use the DS3 controller, your best luck would be downloading the x360ce drivers, which tricks your computer into thinking you have a 360 controller (which works for everything). To use the drivers, you extract the files to the base directory of the game you want to play (which contains the .exe file) and configure the driver so it detects your DS3.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

Got a new pc, framerates are bad in some games. I dloaded motionjoy so i could use my ps3 controller and it doesn't work in half the games and the buttons are all misconfigured. dloaded steam. downloads getting hung up etc... trying to play war of vikings right now and its just sitting on the load screen for hte last 5 minutes and doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

I pc gamed all through my youth. Went to consoles because graphically they are close now and you dont have to configure everything.

any help here on why my controller isnt working? thats the biggest issue i have and its annoying.

I think there is probably something wrong with your PC since I have no issues with Steam both at home and at work.

I've heard people having issues with motionjoy. If you want to use a controller, just buy a Logitech one that is the same layout but better quality and works with all games.

As for graphically close, I still see a big difference between consoles and PC.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I have always had good luck with Motion Joy. As long as you set it to XBOX 360 controller, but install the DS3 drivers. I am not a fan of using the Playstation controller just be cause the input layout is always Xbox. The game tells you to hit xbox x, which is playstation square................... "Why isn't the X button working, oh yeah that's the A button".

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Celtic_34

I didn't buy it specifically for gaming but it's a newest generation i5 with a 2gb midrange nvidia card. I'm just messing with it seeing how it is for gaming. Doing the free to play stuff on steam. I tried a racing game{trackmania} and it was fine and the controller worked but the button configuration seemed all out of whack. I tired it again and the controller was fritzing out a bit. Also it was online multiplaye rand the other players in the game were bouncing around a bit. it wasnt fluid at all and there was no collision detection between opponents. i dont know if it was just that game. war of vikings just sat at the loading screen.

Warframe the ps3 controller didnt work at all and framerates were pretty bad so i'm guessing this is already outdated as far as next gen stuff. Trying Dota 2 right now. I've seen people playing current gen games with my specs and it runs on high very well as far as games like skyrim, but im guessing the latest games its already outdated.

kind of sucks really because you'd think a new pc by todays standards and an i5 would be able to keep up with next gen just a bit.

was just trying to mess around with this until i can find a ps4 somewhere and was hoping maybe id be surprised but i'm really not.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

I didn't buy it specifically for gaming but it's a newest generation i5 with a 2gb midrange nvidia card. I'm just messing with it seeing how it is for gaming. Doing the free to play stuff on steam. I tried a racing game{trackmania} and it was fine and the controller worked but the button configuration seemed all out of whack. I tired it again and the controller was fritzing out a bit. Also it was online multiplaye rand the other players in the game were bouncing around a bit. it wasnt fluid at all and there was no collision detection between opponents. i dont know if it was just that game. war of vikings just sat at the loading screen.

Warframe the ps3 controller didnt work at all and framerates were pretty bad so i'm guessing this is already outdated as far as next gen stuff. Trying Dota 2 right now. I've seen people playing current gen games with my specs and it runs on high very well as far as games like skyrim, but im guessing the latest games its already outdated.

kind of sucks really because you'd think a new pc by todays standards and an i5 would be able to keep up with next gen just a bit.

was just trying to mess around with this until i can find a ps4 somewhere and was hoping maybe id be surprised but i'm really not.

An i5 keeps up just fine. It's probably your video card, because you haven't once emphasized what it actually is. It's the most important gaming component.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#7 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Without knowing your graphics card, the graphic settings you're using, or the specific games and specific frame rates you're getting, there isn't much to say. An i5 system shouldn't have major problems.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

@Celtic_34: Exactly which videocard did you get? My laptop has integrated intel graphics, which is pretty bad, and it'll actually max out Warframe at 720p. Hell, a ten year old PC should be able to max out Warframe...

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Celtic_34

Dota 2 works fine on max settings. It's the newest generation i5 with 8 gb ddr3 ram. It has a 2 gb gt 630 graphics card. It's not a high end gamming card but looking at youtube videos with my specs people are playing games like skyrim on max settings with it perfectly fine. i thought it would play warframe fine but it is a next gen game. The video stutters and the game is very floaty. the controller also i can't get to work with it.

that was my thinking superclocked. Is it still should run fine. It's a first generation ps4 game and i thought i would be ok but it's not. my pc specwise should still be much more powerful than the current gen consoles but apparently not. Dota 2 is very playable and fine but a little floaty.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

The GT 630 only has 96 CUDA cores and is equivalent to an 8800 GTS, which is a card from 2006. And even that's debatable because the 8800 GTS used faster 320-bit memory. It's not at all cut out for gaming in late 2013. Get a better video card.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Celtic_34

do you think i'll be better off just spending on a better video card to put in this then buying a console? that's what i'm debating. I could spend a couple hundred bucks on a video card i'm guessing or just get a ps4 for games.... i like steam and all but the controller issues are also bugging me. this is what i don't like about pc gaming is its difficult to get everything working the way it should. you never know if you are getting optimal performance etc where with a console games are optimized for the hardware.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

It has a 2 gb gt 630 graphics card.

As mentioned above, this is the issue. The GT 630 is so slow that a lowend AMD 7750 (which can be found on sale for $50-70) is about twice as fast as the GT 630....... (you need to throw that card away and get something else).

The comparison made above to the 8800GTS (card from 2006) is pretty accurate unfortunately

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Celtic_34

@mastershake575 said:

@Celtic_34 said:

It has a 2 gb gt 630 graphics card.

As mentioned above, this is the issue. The GT 630 is so slow that a lowend AMD 7750 (which can be found on sale for $50-70) is about twice as fast as the GT 630....... (you need to throw that card away and get something else).

The comparison made above to the 8800GTS (card from 2006) is pretty accurate unfortunately

i believe you. im looking at tom hardware's hierarchy charter and its rated right with the 8800gts..... My pc should play all current gen games pretty optimally but anything new is going to struggle. so my pc is pretty much outdated the minute i bought it as far as games are concerned. kind of sucks for a brand new pc. It was $599 at bestbuy and the specs were better for games than most pre builts. i just need to put a different graphics card in it.

I bought it because i wasn't buying it specifically for games but it had that potential where it wasnt a complete crapfest as far as that stuff.

kind of a bad time to buy a pc unless you are buying the latest and greatest tech which would cost me much more. I spend $200 on a grapchis card that's $800 for a pc that should outperform the ps4 and xbox one though?

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Celtic_34

war of vikings is working now.... server must have just been down. controller still doesnt work. game is running fine on medium and high settings. all these games im not getting fullscreen though for some reason. there is a border around the games even if i set to full screen. sigh........... not a big fan of pc gaming regardless i don't think.\

so even with an old graphics card 3 of the 4 games graphically are perfectly fine. It's this other stuff that is driving me up the wall. I can't even play them lol.

Anyone??? Why is there a border and why can't i use a controller and how can i configure it??!!! I googled how to use a ps3 controller. downloaded the software and followed the instructions. Can't get rid of this stupid border around every game either.

Pc gaming is a pain the asz. thing is it's not my graphics card overly. It's more this. I get people like to spend their lives configuring this stuff and i did it when i was younger. but as an older wiser person i can't comprehend why anyone would do this. it's a waste of life.

having the latest and greatest graphics card is all well and good but that's not my issue overly and noone has answered that either.

So the games are fine graphically. Still can't play them. What fun.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bigfootpart2

You probably need to go into the game's settings, set it to your monitor's native resolution, and make sure fullscreen is selected.

Also, I'm surprised you're not using an X360 controller. The 360 controller is plug and play for many games on PC. But most of us don't even use controllers. Keyboard and mouse is better for many games, such as first person shooters.

People put up with the hassle because mid to high-end PCs can potentially provide a much better experience than consoles. Try gaming on a 1440p monitor with a GTX 780Ti and tell me that doesn't poop all over anything the consoles are offering. But in your case you're using a very low end card equivalent to what most of us were using 8 years ago and trying to play with a controller.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

2 gb gt 630 graphics card.

You have a low end entry level card that mostly plays low-med settings at 1080p. Get a new video card and you should be set.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

listen bro, get rid of the ds3, it DOES NOT have native support for the pc, so there will always be problems with it. If you want to complain about the DS3 not working then thats your own fault and your choice. The xbox 360 controller is plug and play like everyone else has already said. It works with almost everything and anything, no drivers needed, just plug it into the usb port and you're good.

after that you b1tch about lag on the PC then mention you have a mid range card from 2006, what do you expect? Finally you say your purchased the pc from best buy, which is another point of stupidity on your part. The power supply in that PC is probably very weak and can't handle anything better than the crappy video card you already have. So now you have 3 options. 1) Stick with your current pc and play free to play/older games. Option 2 is to ditch the pc and buy a console. Option 3 is to rebuild the pc with smart upgrades.

Just remember, even if you go for option 3, it will never be as good as a true custom built pc that was made from scratch. This is mainly because prebuilt manufacturers usually use motherboards that lock down the performance to some extent.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Celtic_34

well my experience in the 4 games i tried

dota 2- runs fine. keyboard and mouse is it. but it's a pc game i'd use that anyways.

trackmania-runs fine. ps3 controller works although the buttons seem to be mismatched.

warframe-runs like crap and can't get the controller to work. seems like a game i'd rather use a controller

war of the vikings-runs like crap and keyboard and mouse is it. it was defaulting to a lower resolution that's why there was a border.

I have a 360 controller but i'm assuming i need a special adaptor for it. I have a power adaptor with usb but it doesn't work... Just was messing around seeing what this pc could do as far as games. It's outdated as far as new games. Thing is dota 2 look really nice and so does trackmania and the fps is good. I guess warframe and war of the vikings are that much more graphic intensive.........

As far as the bitching and stupidity points i'm not even going to respond. I used to build pc's since i was 6 and no the motherboard doesn't tap the potential of a prebuilt. This pc i got is fulyl upgradeable. I wasn't buying for games and just didn't feel like piecing a pc together. It was $599 and i wasn't buying it for games. I can always just upgrade the graphcis card and whether it's prebuilt or not and knew the specs when i got it. I'm more trying to save myself as much a hastle and work as possible. It would cost the same ultimately. Why i just use consoles these days. I'm more annoyed with the lack of controller support in pc games these days. I thought that would have changed. Going back to keyboard and mouse is a bit archaic imo... You should have the option on a pc to use whatever you want without the hastle and it's stil not there.

It's always been that price point $700-800 to get a pc that is going to be capable of gaming for 2 or 3 years as far as the latest games before it starts chugging. About $1000 to make it through 5 years or so... I put a nice graphics card in this i should be fine i'm just not sure if it's worth it. I like just putting a game in and using a controller these days and not worrying about. Why this and a ps4 for $400 is that same $1000 to get me through the next 10 years.

Or I could prebuild a pc for over a $1000 and get that same experience only on a pc for 5-10 years and say screw consoles... but i don't know if that's the way to go.

Thing is I know i could go and custom build a pc with the latest i7 or amd processor. The latest graphics card. gddr5 memory and be top of the line for the next whatever but even if you prebuild it you are still going to spend like $1500 with everything you need. This is a latest generation i5 with 8 gb of ddr3 memory which should be capable of keeping up with this gen if i upgrade the graphics. I plan on getting a ps4 and not sure if it's worth it.

The thing is considering how much money i was looking to spend around $1000 ultimately whether i build a pc or bought this pc it's the same thing. I spend that money and time building a pc and time it's the same crap. I got this with the option to upgrade the graphics card and a small glimmer of hope it would be better than i expected and it's about exactly what i expected.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bigfootpart2

I'm pretty sure this is a troll thread.

ConorHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By ConorHat
Member since 2013 • 141 Posts

Using a console controller on the PC is not a good idea. I would stick to games that require a Keyboad and Mouse like RTS or FPS games.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Just go buy a console pc gaming doesn't sound like its for you as a main gaming system.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Celtic_34

No you actually answered some of my questions as to why I was getting a border on some games. The game was defaulting to a lower resolution. Also some games just aren't going to let me use a controller it seems like. The graphics card I knew was not optimal is all. Just wasn't sure what model it was. Don't really see where I'm trolling. I was insulted not the other way around. You answered my question that i need to upgrade the graphics card but I don't know if it's worth it. The 360 controller i have also doesn't work. I'm actually just telling you my situation. I have $1000 to spend. My plan was to get this and a ps4 and possibly upgrade the graphics card in this later on. PC gaming still feels like a hastle to me because I upgrade the graphics card it's still going to be outdated in a few years and I'm a little annoyed that using a controller is this difficult in 2013.

I don't doubt if i prebuilt a pc and spent a lot of money my pc would poo over everything but i'm not trying to poo on anyone. I'm more just trying to do what is best with my budget for what I need. Even if i go solely with a pc i'd be missing out on the convenience of a console and some of the exclusive games on it.

nba 2k14 is a game i still play and they didn't upgrade the pc graphics for it. So I still would like to get a console. mlb the show is another game I play. You answered my questions and seems to me like it's still best for me to game on a console. It would be nice if this pc was a bit more capable for gaming though. I might upgrade the graphics card in it and get a few years out of it that way. Still whether i bought it at best buy or built it myself it's the same thing. It's about $700-800 and I'd end up with the same parts. This is the latest generation i5. 8 gb of ddr memory. 1 terabyte drive and all peripherals case etc. If i went to pricewatch and built it myself it would be the same price.

This was just the easiest solution for me. Still have no idea why i can't use a controller in warframe. I'd much rather use a controller in shooters. I should at least have that option. I would guess there is a way but I have to come here and ask and be called a troll for asking and noone answers the question. Hence the hastle. For strategy games keyboard and mouse is fine though.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

I currently use 360 wireless controller and loving it; if gaming on PC is so bad for you stay on consoles.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Celtic_34

@PredatorRules said:

I currently use 360 wireless controller and loving it; if gaming on PC is so bad for you stay on consoles.

how though? I followed the instructions for the ps3 controller and dloaded that tool for it. It only works in one game which is a racing game and the button configuration seems out of whack. I plugged in my 360 controller. The pc recognized it. None of the games do. Also whenever i use the ps3 or 360 controller it turns my consoles on lol.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

You need to install the driver for the 360 controller http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

after a restart as I remember you can enjoy it; also download the manager little program that allows you to shut it down without removing the battery everytime http://pety.me/XboxExt/index.php?download

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@Celtic_34: so you basically just blew $600 without doing any research are using peripherals that are not officially supported and forgot to set the games resolution to match your monitor....these are all user errors and you blame the machine? ..

I would just stick to consoles honestly

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Celtic_34

you guys aren't really helping and are obviously clueless. I did quite a bit of research actually. I probably know more than you do that is the problem and you aren't really helping or answering my questions.

Anyways was just in best buy. They have a 650 ti for $200. The 660 for $230 and the 660 ti for$299. The also have the 7850 radeon on clearance for like $100. My PC has a 500 watt powersupply and will support all these cards.

I'm not sure which one to go with or if it's worth it or just get a ps4..... I came very close to just getting the 650 ti for that price. Thats about what i was thinking $200. It isn't top of the line but requres a 400 watt power supply.. So cooling should be good. The 660 requires a 450 watt. The 660 ti requires a 500 watt power supply.

So a latest generation i5 with 8 gb of ddr 3 memory, a 1 terabyte drive and and a 650 ti will get me through this gen? That would mean i spent about $800 which is about right whether i went on pricewatch and bought the parts or just did this.

the pc i got is set up to be a gaming machine. It just has an older model graphics card in it. it came with a 2gb 630 gt where i can get the 650 ti and my pc would be very good for gaming.

I was asking you questions but apparently i have to do this all myself...... I just am not sure if i'm wasting my money here. The ps4 the software is designed for it and i'll have to look up the specs of the graphcis chips that is in it compared to mine. I know it has an 8 core cpu running at a slower clock. The i5 should keep up ok though although if games start using 8 cores i might run into some issues. This is what i'm talking about with pc gaming is you kind of havfe to hope for the best as far as development is concerned.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Celtic_34

i'm strongly considering getting the 650 ti and calling it a day and waiting on the ps4 for a y ear or so..... I just want to make sure it's not a waste of money and won't be useless in 2 years. Consoles are different because they are designing for the hardware. PC's are more brute force when it comes to hardware and games.

I don't think you understand what i'm trying to do here and what i'm getting at. I'm trying to make it through this gen where i'm not upgrading all the time. I think you are assuming i'm some meathead here when that isn't the case. You don't understand what i'm trying to do or what I'm asking you.

I checked various sites and the 2gb model of the card off amazon is about the same price..... you can find it for about $150 at the cheapest and even that is rare. Most less expensive cards online are the 1gb model.

The ps4 graphics is on par with a 7970 radeon graphics card. This would put me about on par with what the xbox one has in it. i'm still not really feeling pc gaming because it is kind of more expensive and more of a fuss. Even if i buy top of hte line everything it's basically what the ps4 has in it.

If I get this card i may be able to get through this gen with something comparable where i can game on my pc if i want and also have a ps4.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

An i5 is a lot faster than the consoles CPU and 8gigs of ram is more also (the consoles have like 6 gigs available that has to be shared between both the GPU and CPU).

A new video card (especially if its nice) will EASILY allow you to outperform the next gen consoles (the PS4 is using a lowend CPU with a GPU equivalent in power to an overclocked 7850/stock 7870). The ps4 graphics is not on par with a 7970 as you stated above (7970 is like 3.6 TFlops while the ps4 is 1.8).

The prices listed above are a complete ripoff assuming your referring to US dollars and no, you don't know more than us (your mistaken knowledge for comprehension of the situation). Your more knowledgeable about your comprehension of your situation but you for sure don't know more about hardware than most people on here

A heavily overclocked gtx 660 runs for like $170-180 on newegg and the GTX 760 runs for about $250 (the 760 is both newer and faster than the 660ti while being $50 cheaper than what you listed). I can't believe bestbuy is charging $300 for a 660ti...... (that's the same price as the 280x which is a rebranded 3GB 7970ghz edition).

If the 650ti you listed is the regular version then that's also a complete ripoff (A 650ti boost edition which is much faster runs for like $150-160).

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside

@Celtic_34 said:

you guys aren't really helping and are obviously clueless. I did quite a bit of research actually. I probably know more than you do that is the problem and you aren't really helping or answering my questions.

Anyways was just in best buy. They have a 650 ti for $200. The 660 for $230 and the 660 ti for$299. The also have the 7850 radeon on clearance for like $100. My PC has a 500 watt powersupply and will support all these cards.

I'm not sure which one to go with or if it's worth it or just get a ps4..... I came very close to just getting the 650 ti for that price. Thats about what i was thinking $200. It isn't top of the line but requres a 400 watt power supply.. So cooling should be good. The 660 requires a 450 watt. The 660 ti requires a 500 watt power supply.

So a latest generation i5 with 8 gb of ddr 3 memory, a 1 terabyte drive and and a 650 ti will get me through this gen? That would mean i spent about $800 which is about right whether i went on pricewatch and bought the parts or just did this.

the pc i got is set up to be a gaming machine. It just has an older model graphics card in it. it came with a 2gb 630 gt where i can get the 650 ti and my pc would be very good for gaming.

I was asking you questions but apparently i have to do this all myself...... I just am not sure if i'm wasting my money here. The ps4 the software is designed for it and i'll have to look up the specs of the graphcis chips that is in it compared to mine. I know it has an 8 core cpu running at a slower clock. The i5 should keep up ok though although if games start using 8 cores i might run into some issues. This is what i'm talking about with pc gaming is you kind of havfe to hope for the best as far as development is concerned.

You're wasting your money if you get a 650 with that PC.

Get a 670 or higher at least.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Celtic_34

@mastershake575 said:

An i5 is a lot faster than the consoles CPU and 8gigs of ram is more also (the consoles have like 6 gigs available that has to be shared between both the GPU and CPU).

A new video card (especially if its nice) will EASILY allow you to outperform the next gen consoles (the PS4 is using a lowend CPU with a GPU equivalent in power to an overclocked 7850/stock 7870). The ps4 graphics is not on par with a 7970 as you stated above (7970 is like 3.6 TFlops while the ps4 is 1.8).

The prices listed above are a complete ripoff assuming your referring to US dollars and no, you don't know more than us (your mistaken knowledge for comprehension of the situation). Your more knowledgeable about your comprehension of your situation but you for sure don't know more about hardware than most people on here

A heavily overclocked gtx 660 runs for like $170-180 on newegg and the GTX 760 runs for about $250 (the 760 is both newer and faster than the 660ti while being $50 cheaper than what you listed). I can't believe bestbuy is charging $300 for a 660ti...... (that's the same price as the 280x which is a rebranded 3GB 7970ghz edition).

If the 650ti you listed is the regular version then that's also a complete ripoff (A 650ti boost edition which is much faster runs for like $150-160).

It's the boost edition 2gb. I looked up prices online. It's more expensive at bestbuy but it's really about a $30 difference..... I didn't buy it. I'm not an impulse buyer. Just trying to get the best set up i can. I still feel like for whatever reason as far as gaming is concerned hte consoles are the best deal. I just would like to game on my pc and use steam every so often if i can without much issue. The 650 ti seems like it would be a good middle ground for that.

I can go to tom's hardware and look at the hierarchy chart like anyone else and look at the specs of what the consoles have in it etc. I might not keep up on it as much as some of you but i'm pretty good with logic and knowing what will work as far as architecture is concerned and the advantages of each etc. I understand what i'm trying to do here and what you are saying.

Which as far as intelligence is concerned is what it is. Some people buy stuff because its like oh this means better, when they don't understand why that is and what the advantages of each is.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Celtic_34

getting the best graphics card in the world is not going to do much for me. The 650 ti should be more than capable with an i5 for what i want. Where i can scrap this pc when i need too. Putting a top of the line graphics card in this and spending more money is not going to do what i need it too.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FelipeInside

@Celtic_34 said:

getting the best graphics card in the world is not going to do much for me. The 650 ti should be more than capable with an i5 for what i want. Where i can scrap this pc when i need too. Putting a top of the line graphics card in this and spending more money is not going to do what i need it too.

Then you do not understand what PC gaming is about.

A 670 isn't anywhere close to top of the line, but it will let you play most games on High. Where PC gaming shines is where you get a strong video card and max out the game you're playing.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Celtic_34

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

I understand it's about the graphics card but if my processor craps the bed or whatever i buy right now is going to be outdated anyways in 3 years as far as pc gaming is concerned where im not going to be maxing everything out...

My cpu falls into the top tier. it's an i5 but on that list. I've read the ps4 gpu is equivalent to a radeon 7870 or whatever it was...... So either way i'm not going to be maxing out pc games in a few years and am going to need the latest greatest in 3 years to do that.

The ps4 and xbox one cpu's are nearly identical. Both having 8 cores running at a much slower clock, which might cause an issue with a 4 core i5 in a few years if games start using 8 cores on the pc.... So again if i'm maxing out everything on the pc i'm going to need the latest and greatest once again. I'm more just trying to get through this gen with good performance for right now that can keep up with the new consoles and have enough power to do that...

the ps4 has gddr5 memory. The xbox one does not. What i'm building is probably more in line with what the xbox one is with a lot more harddrive space.... And a more powerful cpu as far as brute power. It might not be as flexible as the xbox ones cpu having 8 cores but it's more powerful by a good margain.

Even if i buy the top of th eline stuff i'm spending more money for something that's going to be outdated anyways is what i'm saying.

PC's in general rely on brute force. Games are more designed for the consoles why gaming is going that direction more and more. PC gaming is a much more expensive time consuming investment and I'm not sure the pros outweigh the cons.

Like i said even if i buy top of the line everything right now i'm spending way more money and it's not necessarily that much better. It's all the same stuff. Why i'm just trying to piece something together here wher ei can game on my pc well enough.

Point being whether i get a 650 ti or a 660 ti they are both going to be crap as far as pc gaming is concerned in a few years. Whatever i buy right now is not really any more powerful than the consoles that just came out. So there is no advantage really.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FelipeInside

@Celtic_34 said:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

I understand it's about the graphics card but if my processor craps the bed or whatever i buy right now is going to be outdated anyways in 3 years as far as pc gaming is concerned where im not going to be maxing everything out...

My cpu falls into the top tier. it's an i5 but on that list. I've read the ps4 gpu is equivalent to a radeon 7870 or whatever it was...... So either way i'm not going to be maxing out pc games in a few years and am going to need the latest greatest in 3 years to do that.

The ps4 and xbox one cpu's are nearly identical. Both having 8 cores running at a much slower clock, which might cause an issue with a 4 core i5 in a few years if games start using 8 cores on the pc.... So again if i'm maxing out everything on the pc i'm going to need the latest and greatest once again. I'm more just trying to get through this gen with good performance for right now that can keep up with the new consoles and have enough power to do that...

the ps4 has gddr5 memory. The xbox one does not. What i'm building is probably more in line with what the xbox one is with a lot more harddrive space.... And a more powerful cpu as far as brute power. It might not be as flexible as the xbox ones cpu having 8 cores but it's more powerful by a good margain.

Even if i buy the top of th eline stuff i'm spending more money for something that's going to be outdated anyways is what i'm saying.

PC's in general rely on brute force. Games are more designed for the consoles why gaming is going that direction more and more. PC gaming is a much more expensive time consuming investment and I'm not sure the pros outweigh the cons.

Like i said even if i buy top of the line everything right now i'm spending way more money and it's not necessarily that much better. It's all the same stuff. Why i'm just trying to piece something together here wher ei can game on my pc well enough.

I don't understand why you are comparing specs with PS4 and XBone. PC graphics is on another level.

And you're wrong about a few things in your post.

- PC gaming is not more expensive than consoles

- If you're thinking about specs 4 years from now then you're doing it wrong and will never enjoy gaming on the PC (heck, there are games out for PS4 that are ALREADY lagging)

I'm not saying go out and spend $5000 on a PC, but don't cut yourself short either cause then you will be back to "ain't really feeling PC gaming" when all your games cause you issues or look bad because you need tot turn down graphics.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Celtic_34

i'm comparing the specs to the ps4 and xbox one because no matter what i buy right now there is no real advantage to pc gaming. Like you said the advantage of pc gaming is the ability to max everything out and be ahead of the curve. If i buy a 650 ti or 660 ti both are going to be crap as far as pc gaming is concerned in 3 years and that advantage will be gone. I could get the most top of the line shit and spend $2000 and that would be stupid.

The whole advantage of pc gaming like you said is to be ahead of the curve.. There is no way to do that right now. If I buy a pc in 3 years then yes i will have a pc more powerful then the current status quo which is the consoles.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FelipeInside

@Celtic_34 said:

i'm comparing the specs to the ps4 and xbox one because no matter what i buy right now there is no real advantage to pc gaming. Like you said the advantage of pc gaming is the ability to max everything out and be ahead of the curve. If i buy a 650 ti or 660 ti both are going to be crap as far as pc gaming is concerned in 3 years and that advantage will be gone. I could get the most top of the line shit and spend $2000 and that would be stupid.

Like I said before, then you don't understand PC gaming.

What do you mean there is no advantage to PC gaming? I could rattle on for an hour and give you countless reasons. Heck, I bought a PS4 on launch for FIFA14 and sold it a week later cause I couldn't stand the slow loading speeds.

If you buy a 650 NOW it's not that good, don't worry about 3 years. People have this stupid notion that you need to upgrade your PC every year, which is total BS. I build a new PC and it lasts me 4-5 years with a few tweaks here and there.

You don't need to get top of the line stuff, but don't get bottom of the line stuff either.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Celtic_34

the best time to buy a pc would be 3 years from now because then you would have something much more powerful then the new consoles though. right now no matter what i buy i really don't.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Celtic_34

I do understand pc gaming though. like i said i used to build pcs when i was younger and they would last 4-5 years like you said. I understand it. I did it for years would piece together specs and it would last me 4-5 years. It's just not a very good time to do that right now with the new consoles just launched. I am doing this because i stopped doing that for a while. had a pc i just used for basic tasks for a long time and didn't upgrade it or use it for gaming at all. In general it's really not a good time to buy a pc. It's too expensive for what you are getting and the advantages aren't that great right now.

I could go build a pc with a better processor. better graphics card but again i'm then spending a lot of money and specwise it really isn't that far ahead of the consoles that were just launched. This is my issue right now. I have $1000 to spend. Yes i could put that all into a pc and have a nice gaming pc that will last 4-5 years. But it's almost better to just do this and get a ps4. Either way it's kind of what it is.

Like i said i know exactly what you are saying as far as piecing together a pc that will last 4-5 years. The timing is just bad right now and i'm trying to get both a pc and console at the same time for around $1000 so there has to be some give and take somewhere.

graphics cards to me are way overpriced right now..

If i go on pricewatch and price together everything i have. core i5 new gen. motherboard, powersupply. case. peripherals. graphics card. memory, drives, hard drive etc. The price i paid at best buy is actually very good...... That's why i bought it. Is it completely future proof? no i need a better graphics card. I would have rathered an i7 as well. But for hte price it was the best i could find.

most prebuilts the graphics card and powersupply suck. This one did not and the graphics card was upgradeable and it was expandable as far as a gaming machine. Why i bought it. Price it out on pricewatch because i have. $599 was about right. It was a good deal.

I could have built my own pc picked every part i wanted and put it together. I'd get a better graphics card and a different processor but again i'm then spending more money even if i built it myself and the advantage of that was not worth it to me.

I just want to plop a graphics card in this get a ps4 and be done with it. I'm just not sure which graphics card i want at this point. Like you said the 650 ti might be useless in short order.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

trying to care.... not really feeling it.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Celtic_34

I think i'm going to get the 650 ti boost and call it a day. Too many trolls here. I think that would be the most balanced thing to do or get a radeon 7850 or something. Either way this stuff is overpriced right now.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 superclocked

@Celtic_34: You're right about the prices of mid range cards. A month ago, the 7870 XT (Tahiti LE) was only $139.99. Now, the slower r9 270 is $200. Also, you probably need to get a new power supply, as well. Store bought PC's usually have the bare minimum with no room for upgrades..

If you give me a budget, I'll find you the best bang for your buck...

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

I think i'm going to get the 650 ti boost and call it a day. Too many trolls here. I think that would be the most balanced thing to do or get a radeon 7850 or something. Either way this stuff is overpriced right now.

7870ghz is at 154 AR at newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202025

There is 10% coupon code as well NAFSAVETENDEC6W

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

I have a 650 Ti. It's fine.

Make sure your system has a good enough power supply though.

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts

Wow, just wow.... If you have so many doubts about PC gaming just go out and buy a console.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bigfootpart2

Stop shopping at Best Buy. They prey on the technologically illiterate and charge ridiculous prices for out of date stuff. Buy whatever card you get on Amazon or Newegg.

This EVGA 2GB GTX 760 SC for $260 shipped should be fine for your needs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130953

Not a huge fan of AMD/ATI myself, as I don't like their drivers, but you can also get a 7870 for a bit less depending on your budget.

Also Pricewatch? That takes me back. What year do you think this is, 1998? Didn't even know that site still existed.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

My GTX 460 still performs GREATLY and @ 1080p resolution. So anything above that should be fine, considering gaming won't be the only thing you'll be doing.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By superclocked

@daious said:

@Celtic_34 said:

7870ghz is at 154 AR at newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202025

There is 10% coupon code as well NAFSAVETENDEC6W

That's a pretty good deal. OP, you should get this and a new PSU. A PSU in a prebuilt PC likely isn't going to handle a 7870 or 650 Ti...

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Celtic_34

cool..... I've actually been messign with this old card for a few days now. Got my controller working in most games. War of vikings still runs like crap and can't get it to work. Playing grid 2 looks fantastic even on this old graphics card though... Some visual hiccups in games but super high resolutions and framerates and seems to be much improved over consoles. Just don't really like fussing with this stuff to get it to work the way i want. Still going to pop a better graphics card in there. I was deciding between the i5 i got or an i7 and getting a better graphics card. Not sure if the i7 was worth the price difference. This i5 seems plenty powerful enough. Even this old video card is still pretty good. I think upgrading the graphics card will be a good go between.

Selection of games is somewhat limtied vs consoles but i see what people are saying now about crisp visuals and nice framerates.... definately an improvement over ps3 and 360 although the ps4 is supposed to be this way too.

grid 2 looks really good though even on an old graphics card.