The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Hello. Opinions on this game are requested. Having played the opening for one or two hours a rather large "meh" has set in. But: as with diablo style games: part of the fun comes from building up the character. Is this title worth the long haul?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Hello. Opinions on this game are requested. Having played the opening for one or two hours a rather large "meh" has set in. But: as with diablo style games: part of the fun comes from building up the character. Is this title worth the long haul?

I played it all the way through and enjoyed it heaps, totally underrated.

If I had to say something negative about it, would have to be the length. A tad too long for my taste.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

i thought it was pretty good. the standout feature is the great dialogue, in terms of both writing and delivery.

as for character building, i didn't think it was anything special, but i never paid much attention to it.

honestly though, for this type of game, i don't think you'd like the rest if you didn't like the first couple hours.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 uninspiredcup

Overall: yes it's alright.

Wouldn't call it great though. The game doesn't feel like it has weight: your character floats around and no feedback comes from hitting monsters.

It seems to spam as many enemies as possible: but with tight constricted maps. On lower settings: this is simply frustrating because you can't see what is going on. On higher settings: it's irritation is increased considerably.

Surprised: in the base game you only get one class and have to pay for classes.

With the visuals and worlds: it's a game I'd like to be better than it is. Probably just go back to Titan Quest.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

IMO it was better than titan quest. Although I really hated the last part of this game where things get tower defense.

It depends on what you're looking for in this game. I really like the massive hoards of monsters it sends your way. There are some nice skills as well.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 uninspiredcup

Looking forward to Grim Dawn: but want to play it in it's finished state.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside

@sheikhspeare said:

I only need to know about the story, how's the story?

Nothing special but the voice acting is top notch and the places you visit are varied.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#9 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

The first one gets super repetitive in the back half. The sequel is better pacing but still not great.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

I enjoyed the first game, it did take me a while to really get into it but once I did it was pretty addicting. Its no torchlight 2, but it is an enjoyable game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

An odd game, I really enjoy the humor and setting, and while I do not really enjoy those Hack&slash kind of RPG lite RPGs I did enjoy the Van Helsing games (yes both of them) quite a bit, but it did require a co-op partner.

The leveling skills are deceptively simple, but the loot is what I often felt made the game. Was a blast to have a ranged player with the ability to absolutely decimate Things at range, coupled with my Helsing which were near unkillable as long as he was in constant close combat.

Game the game a nice synnergy, and yet a single mistake could mean that we both would die. I really really liked it :) but all in all it is a standard Diablo Close with a sense of humor and pop culture references.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Whats so fun about building up a character..... rewarding sure..... but fun, I disagree.....

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Whats so fun about building up a character..... rewarding sure..... but fun, I disagree.....

Trying different skills, different weapons etc.

See how you can combine different spells, skills etc.

Might be fun for some people.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu

@FelipeInside:

Still sounds more rewarding than actually fun....

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@FelipeInside:

Still sounds more rewarding than actually fun....

Just different words to probably describe the same thing.

You can have fun to reach something rewarding.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lulu_Lulu

@FelipeInside:

Actually no its not...... one is intrinsically motivated and the other is extrinsically motivated.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#17  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

TC, i had a similar feeling the entire time i played this game. I didn't hate the game, but it wasn't that fun for me either and I had to push myself to keep playing it - start to finish. I liked how van helsing and his ghost friend always talked to each other which helped fill up an otherwise lonely and solo game. I liked the first game more here also, but both were almost identical.

First game i played a ranged class, the second time a melee one, i think the ranged was more fun for me. This borrows too much from diablo if you ask me. Your almost always hitting a potion or a heal to keep your hp up cause you get swarmed by so many enemies at once, it gets very predictable fast.

I'd prefer a more rpg game here since the main character and his sidekick are pretty interesting and it'd be nice to have more to do in the game other then being under the same constant repetitive attacks.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#18 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@FelipeInside:

Actually no its not...... one is intrinsically motivated and the other is extrinsically motivated.

There's no need to be a negative nathaniel. Hack n slash is obviously a spectacularly-successful genre, so it clearly is fun for a great many people.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu

@krazyorange:

I'm a positive penny and the best Hack n' Slash games don't use RPG Elements

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 uninspiredcup

Selecting your build and seeing your characters skills morph and become more spectacular is both rewarding and fun. A good Diablo style game (IMO) will allow the player at least 5-8 paths to choose from while not allowing them all to be used.

That's pretty much the fun for me: couldn't give a shit about COOP. Most of the time the other player just runs about in the same world without synergy of skills.

Speaking of synergy: been playing that, fucking great mod. Ranger is very fun.