The best places to buy pc games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Peanut04_basic (723 posts) -

I have a mid-range gaming pc, which I will be upgrading soon, but I haven't really been what anyone would consider an avid pc gamer since the late 80ies. The last game I bought for the pc was World of Warcraft when it launched, but I never played it religiously. I quit playing it completely about a year after Burning Crusade came out. I have stayed/prefered to play primarily with consoles. I recently decided to go back to the PC full time and drop consoles, with the exception of Nintendo. My question is, where are the best places to buy games for the pc? Obviously, I know about retail stores and I have a steam account, but for the most part, I have been pretty oblivious to pc games. I am just wondering where everyone likes to buy their games from.

#2 Posted by MW2ismygame (2183 posts) -

There is Green Man Gaming. I know thats good. Amazon has some really good deals form time to time as well.

#3 Posted by Realmjumper (634 posts) -
Amazon is good and Steam as well. Green man gaming, cdkeyhouse.com. You missed the big black friday sale so just wait for the christmas sale.
#4 Posted by MW2ismygame (2183 posts) -
Amazon is good and Steam as well. Green man gaming, cdkeyhouse.com. You missed the big black friday sale so just wait for the christmas sale. Realmjumper
THIS ^^ if you want to buy VERY cheap GOOD games wait until the steam winter sale you will not be disappointed.
#5 Posted by leif3141 (117 posts) -

GOG.com has a lot of cooler older non DRM games with some new ones as well. Lots of sales like steam as well, and user reviews!

#6 Posted by BPoole96 (22800 posts) -

Steam, Amazon Digital, GOG, and Green Man Gaming

#7 Posted by Peanut04_basic (723 posts) -
Thanks for all the replies so far. I'll look up everything you guys mentioned and bookmark the sites for future reference.
Amazon is good and Steam as well. Green man gaming, cdkeyhouse.com. You missed the big black friday sale so just wait for the christmas sale. Realmjumper
Yeah, I had seen the steam sale, but by the time I noticed it only the last two days of the sale were still up. I just figured everything would come back up on sale eventually.
#8 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

Amazon, Steam and GoG are my go to for purchases.

GoG is best for the older cIassics and they're all DRM free. Steam and Amazon have some ridiculous deals on great games, new and old.

I also used GameFly's service to get BioShock for free when they had that promo and have noticed that they offer some decent discounts as well on PC games, though their line-up looks more catered to new games. I also use Origin for the new EA games, but that's not really worth it since their older games are on Steam anyway.

#9 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
Amazon, Green Man Gaming, Gamersgate, GOG. Those are the only ones I remember right now.
#10 Posted by Nintatterdemon (69 posts) -
Amazon and Steam are pretty much the only places I bother with.
#11 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6210 posts) -

Amazon.com for retail pc games and they also have a good selection and deals for downloadable games but I prefer gamersgate.com as far as client less DD stores go. Steam is my main source to buy pc games and my favorite DD client. Your restricted by steam a bit but the convenience factor and integration factor are pluses and the prices are so cheap and deals a plenty but pretty much all the DD stores are like that now. Other places are GOG.com for drm free classic pc games that have been tested to work on modern pc and os they also offer some modern games and tend to pack alot of digital extras. Greenman Gaming tends to have some pretty good pre-order deals altough I have personally never used them.

#12 Posted by JohnF111 (14093 posts) -

Steam, Amazon Digital, GOG, and Green Man Gaming

BPoole96
This list is about as complete as it gets. There won't be many games that don't make it onto at least one of these places.
#13 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

Steam and Amazon are my main sources, but GOG and Greenmangaming are also amazing places to buy from.

#14 Posted by TruSake (316 posts) -

support your local retail store

#15 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4087 posts) -

Retail is still the best for me. Sorry all you DD fans.