Testing a power supply and MOBO

This topic is locked from further discussion.

overhead_drums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 overhead_drums
Member since 2010 • 338 Posts

Following my last thread i was wondering if there is any difinitive way to test my MOBO and PSU. One of these is MUST be faulty in some way as XFX and Scan deemed my 7970 as working fine.

If the 7970 is working fine as they say, what other reasons could cause the BSOD's and Freezes. (i've tried loads of drivers).

Cheers all!

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
How many watts in your psu?
overhead_drums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 overhead_drums
How many watts in your psu?MonsieurX
Its a OCZ ZS 750watt, should be enough. But there has to be a reason my card doesnt' work.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Did you try the card in another PCI-E lane on your mobo? Did you try the card in another PC?
overhead_drums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 overhead_drums
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Did you try the card in another PCI-E lane on your mobo? Did you try the card in another PC?

Yeah i tried another PCI-E and same story. Another PC is my next step i think, got to find someone else with a pc that will run it though.... Thanks for the help mate.
Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

Following my last thread i was wondering if there is any difinitive way to test my MOBO and PSU. One of these is MUST be faulty in some way as XFX and Scan deemed my 7970 as working fine.

If the 7970 is working fine as they say, what other reasons could cause the BSOD's and Freezes. (i've tried loads of drivers).

Cheers all!

overhead_drums
XFX has a vested interest in having your card not be at fault. I don't know what Scan is, but you can't test anything good, you can only test it bad. Direct substitution is ideal, and that's what you have to do next, as you know. Your graphics card is the most complicated device in your house by far. We can only imagine the things that can go wrong with it.
overhead_drums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 overhead_drums

[QUOTE="overhead_drums"]

Cheers all!

Blistrax

XFX has a vested interest in having your card not be at fault. I don't know what Scan is, but you can't test anything good, you can only test it bad. Direct substitution is ideal, and that's what you have to do next, as you know. Your graphics card is the most complicated device in your house by far. We can only imagine the things that can go wrong with it.

Hi Blistrax, cheers for the reply. "XFX has a vested interest in having your card not be at fault" i don't understand this sentence, sorry the word vested has got me befuddled...lol. Would be grateful if you explained it to me. Thanks again.

EDIT: Sorry, just read it again, it makes sense. I dont think XFX would half-ass test it just to save a bit of cash would they?

EDIT2: Also my microwave is really complicated but the 7970 does take gold....wish it was easier to understand

Thanks for the advice, I know testing it in another machine should give me  definitive answer.

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

I dont think XFX would half-ass test it just to save a bit of cash would they?

overhead_drums
I'm saying there is no test that will prove a device is 100% functional, and the manufacturer's assurance that the card is good is therefore worthless. You connect the dots.
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
[QUOTE="Blistrax"] I don't know what Scan is

UK website for PC parts.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

If you need to test your PSU...

I used this. Handy little tool.

Or you could use a multimeter.

As for the mobo... There really isn't any way to test it. Unless test your card in another system and the problem doesn't follow.

There maybe a compatibility issue with the chipset (check mobo bios page). Check memory with all passes in mem86+. If you have a sandforce based SSD that could also be causing your BSOD. As a matter of fact I just swapped out my Intel 520 I was having problems with... For 2 samsung 840 pros in raid0 and I have no more problems.

There can be a number of things.

5SI-GonePostal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 5SI-GonePostal
Member since 2004 • 391 Posts

Its unlikely to be your mobo as from this thread and your other one there seems to be nothing wrong, other gpu works in it, and it boots. This then leaves with the GPU and PSU. But to test your PSU you need another high draw GPU or the tester posted above and to test your GPU you need another PC.