Steering Wheel with pedals on Wheel?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

s-e-e-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 s-e-e-k
Member since 2009 • 252 Posts

Hey, I used to own one of these back in the 90's but has anyone seen any on the market these days? I'm looking for a PC steering wheel with the pedals on the right and left behind the wheel itself and not on the ground.

-Thanks

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Hey, I used to own one of these back in the 90's but has anyone seen any on the market these days? I'm looking for a PC steering wheel with the pedals on the right and left behind the wheel itself and not on the ground.

-Thanks

s-e-e-k

I'm getting an amusing picture in my head of someone trying to drive with the wheel you are describing, with the knees around their head like a contortionist.

Do you mean "paddles" behind the wheel, like a paddle shift? If so then most modern wheels have this in addition to the standard floor pedals. They are used for shifting by default, but they can be programmed to be used for gas/brake. Only caveat is they aren't analog.

If that's not what you mean, can you describe what it is you are looking for in a little more detail.

-Byshop

s-e-e-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 s-e-e-k

[QUOTE="s-e-e-k"]

-Thanks

Byshop

I'm getting an amusing picture in my head of someone trying to drive with the wheel you are describing, with the knees around their head like a contortionist.

Do you mean "paddles" behind the wheel, like a paddle shift? If so then most modern wheels have this in addition to the standard floor pedals. They are used for shifting by default, but they can be programmed to be used for gas/brake. Only caveat is they aren't analog.

If that's not what you mean, can you describe what it is you are looking for in a little more detail.

-Byshop

I do mean the paddles behind the wheel but on the wheel I had back in the 90's the paddles were made for gas and brake. You could actually push a little bit or alot for more gas or less gas. I used to pay Midtown Madness all the time with it.

s-e-e-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 s-e-e-k

Here I found it on amazon... only wish it was a usb connention. I would buy it again.

http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Prix-Thrustmaster-Steering-Wheel/dp/B000FEY048

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Cool. That's probably going to be hard to find in a modern version. Most of the racing wheels made try very hard to lean towards authenticity these days. As I mentioned, most all of the nice ones will have paddle shifters behind the wheel, but unfortunately they are not analog. Still, I've played some of the more arcade-y racing games using the paddles for gas/brake. I have a Logitech g27 with a configurable range of motion and paddle shifters. For games like Trackmania, I programmed the wheel's range of motion down to about 160 degrees and used the paddles instead of the pedals. It worked great and it cut seconds off my times.

-Byshop

s-e-e-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 s-e-e-k

Thanks for your help Byshop

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
The only wheel I know of with analog paddles is the original Logitech Driving Force (not the Pro or GT versions; those have digital paddles). Don't worry about it being advertised as a PS2 wheel; it works on PCs just fine and is supported by Logitech's driver packages. If you keep the pedals disconnected, it automatically uses the paddles as the pedals. However, it is an old design with a relatively limited range of motion, and I'm a bit concerned about force-feedback reliability.