Stean Controller in ACTION !!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

HERE !!!

Sorry but I still love my Keyboard and Mouse...

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

The counter-strike part impressed me. He was able to aim quite accurately with no aim assist. Stuff like aim assist has kept me from consoles for over a decade.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Looks quite good actually. Can't see it replacing my PS3 controller though.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

it looks pretty slick. i don't use a controller with my pc but if i ever do decide to invest in steam box i'll give their controller a try

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Certainly looked interesting

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Definitely interesting. I'd be curious to see if FPSes are truly playable without auto aim or if he was just very comfortable with it.

I personally don't use a controller for any PC games. Don't see myself starting TBH. I just prefer mouse/keyboard.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts
Loading Video...

If it can be faster and more accurate than a Wiimote it'll be worth it, if not it's kind of pointless

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

HERE !!!

Sorry but I still love my Keyboard and Mouse...

Same here, you cant really beat kb/m, I just wish there was a decent living room method. This controller looks like it will go hand in hand with Oculus Rift though.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

^^ Haha, the Wiimote and PS Move is absolutely garbage for FPS games. The Steam Controller looks fucking sick to me. Best console-like controller designed for PC use by a long shot. Even using the 360 controller I could maintain a positive ratio in Counter-Strike. With this controller, I wouldn't be surprised if I couldn't dominate in a CS server.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

^^ Haha, the Wiimote and PS Move is absolutely garbage for FPS games. The Steam Controller looks fucking sick to me. Best console-like controller designed for PC use by a long shot. Even using the 360 controller I could maintain a positive ratio in Counter-Strike. With this controller, I wouldn't be surprised if I couldn't dominate in a CS server.

I agree. Yeah I don't get the whole wii-mote being more accurate and "good" for first-person shooters. The Wii-mote is almost retarded when it comes to precision. I'd rather use a regular control pad than use the Wii-mote. The sensor is garbage and they totally went cheap-ass on it. Play the conduit and tell me it's accurate. But this Steam controller does look to be a step up from your typical control-pads out on the market.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

You don't really use the accelerometers for playing FPS titles with it, well some people map them to things like melee and reload. The aiming is done using the IR sensor at the front which is perfect for things like moving a cursor around the screen or FPS aiming because it's an absolute measurement with really low latency. Don't knock it until you've tried it on a PC, after a few minutes getting used to it you'll find it's far, far more accurate and responsive for those tasks than an analogue stick.

Or if you can, check out the Razer Hydra that was released a few years ago, it looks like a similar system to the Wiimote at first glance but uses a much more accurate technology at its core licensed from Sixense. The follow up to it, the "Sixense STEM System" has just successfully been Kickstarted as well, which is well worth a look, though it'll not hit the market until next summer at the earliest.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

OFFTOPIC: So do these new forums have a way to check if there is an update on a topic I posted in yet?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@barrybarryk said:

You don't really use the accelerometers for playing FPS titles with it, well some people map them to things like melee and reload. The aiming is done using the IR sensor at the front which is perfect for things like moving a cursor around the screen or FPS aiming because it's an absolute measurement with really low latency. Don't knock it until you've tried it on a PC, after a few minutes getting used to it you'll find it's far, far more accurate and responsive for those tasks than an analogue stick.

Or if you can, check out the Razer Hydra that was released a few years ago, it looks like a similar system to the Wiimote at first glance but uses a much more accurate technology at its core licensed from Sixense. The follow up to it, the "

Sixense STEM System

" has just successfully been Kickstarted as well, which is well worth a look, though it'll not hit the market until next summer at the earliest.

I'm knocking it precisely because I have tried it. I found it to be utter crap and there's nothing "low latency" or "absolute" about it. Wiimote's IR sensor is laggy, inaccurate, inconsistent, and is useless for PC shooting games. It's 'fun to use' (until you get tired of having to uncomfortably point at the screen) , but it's completely useless if you're trying to be competitive in the least.

KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

Wow this actually looks great, never thought I would be excited for this, but I absolutely am

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

I think that this controller looks amazing! I have been having a bit of difficulty with my wrist lately because of the way I use my mouse, so something like this on my computer would be very welcome. Will definitely be keeping my eye on this one.

Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

The controller was never meant to be a full(or debateably even common) KB+M replacement.

The sooner people rid themselves of this stupid preconception/view the sooner perhaps at least a decent replacement for dual analogs may yet arrive.

Perfect? Course not. But from what I gather, some sensitivity/haptic tweaks before final production look to be able to at least mitigate most of the problem. Portal 2 looked mostly ok, Civ V was eww, CS:GO seemed slow-ish, and papers please looked fine to me honest.

danten81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By danten81
Member since 2013 • 328 Posts

This marks the end of auto-aim. Watch console companies copy this thing in a few years.

Civ5 comfy couch

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Looking forward to the steam controller release will be a nice addition to supplement my mouse and keyboard and wireless 360 controller. Currently the M/KB I use at my desk and the 360 controller is for playing from my bed but this looks better for fps games and games that don't support mouse and keyboard that are mouse heavy like civilization 5 I don't expect it to replace either just another way to enjoy PC games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d4f404bdfc2e
deactivated-5d4f404bdfc2e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 deactivated-5d4f404bdfc2e
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

It's far superior than any other controller ATM on the market, the aiming is more precise so no need in aimbot on consoles anymore; Still there's nothing like the good old mouse and keyboard, yes it takes more space and you can't use it comfortably in your living room but for me there's no replacement.

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

Intriguing...

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@barrybarryk said:
Loading Video...

If it can be faster and more accurate than a Wiimote it'll be worth it, if not it's kind of pointless

he is using his strafe to aim for pretty much every kill

you could do a similar thing if you played with wasd + arrow keys

Loop
Start playing when buffered (Only Notify
) -
%
Smart Buffer
Estimated Time:
Global Preferences
i_waaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 i_waaan
Member since 2013 • 62 Posts

I think the controller looks great. The concept of the Steam Machine in general has me really excited, considering I've never been into PC gaming. That's definitely going to change with the release of these new "consoles" (I know, they're just PCs, but still).

I think I'll still predominantly use keyboard and mouse, but the Steam Controller will definitely have it's uses. Hope it comes included with every Machine.