Steam head Jason Holtman has left Microsoft

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gamerno66666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#1 Gamerno66666
Member since 2013 • 175 Posts

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/02/12/source-former-steam-head-jason-holtman-has-left-microsoft/

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Well good for him, I don't see how Microsoft got anything to do with gaming anyway, except for marketing their Xone

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

That's a shame, I was hoping that he would push for more PC gaming at MS.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

And it's gone.

Seriously, this is bad news just like the other times when the PC guys have left MS. I would not be surprised if he left because he was facing far too much resistance in the company and nobody really cared about what he wanted to do. Once again history is repeating itself and you'll see poor PC gaming support until they hire some other fresh face.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

@SEANMCAD said:

I predict the PC gaming industry will start to move away from Windows and into the Steam Machine world.

I also see MIcrosoft providing an OS similar to Google Chrome that will meet 90% of home consumer needs. They might make a version of windows for gaming but something tells me they will not. In fact I think Xbox is going to get sold because I really do not see cable TV as the future.

This made me think of you today: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2097460/chromebooks-getting-vmware-virtual-desktop-service.html

And actually Google ASKED for it. Told you Chromebook wasn't as popular as you thought (or would like), they are now trying to save it by running Windows on it.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:

I predict the PC gaming industry will start to move away from Windows and into the Steam Machine world.

I also see MIcrosoft providing an OS similar to Google Chrome that will meet 90% of home consumer needs. They might make a version of windows for gaming but something tells me they will not. In fact I think Xbox is going to get sold because I really do not see cable TV as the future.

Steam machine world? You're a funny guy..

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:

Jesus christ dude, lol. Denser than pound cake, man, what the hell is the "Steam Machine" world? Do you know what you're talking about? Why do you do this?

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

@8-Bitterness said:

@SEANMCAD said:

Jesus christ dude, lol. Denser than pound cake, man, what the hell is the "Steam Machine" world? Do you know what you're talking about? Why do you do this?

Steam Machines will have there place, but they probably won't take over. But I WOULD like PC gaming to move to linux completely, so that no one has to deal with Microsoft anymore.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46282 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

Perhaps he did, but we all know MS isn't interested in PC gaming anymore, even if we would like that to be different.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#12 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

If only Valve had called it the SteampunkOS...ah, well. :P

I'm not surprised this Holtman fellow has moved on. I mean, he went from basically a flat almost no-tier organisation (Valve) to Microsoft with its multiple tiers where each decision has to go up through the chain of command and back down again before you can do anything (at least according to Molyneux, who apparently spent much of his time twiddling his thumbs and coming up with new sandwich fillings).

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside

@R4gn4r0k said:

@FelipeInside said:

Perhaps he did, but we all know MS isn't interested in PC gaming anymore, even if we would like that to be different.

Or perhaps he isn't a good worker and left cause it was too much to handle?

We'll never know.

Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts
@FelipeInside said:

He probably found out it's impossible with such idiots over there and left before he gets infected with their stupidity. Since the 360 came out years ago M$ has stopped caring for PC mainstream (excluding the WinOS obviously ... maybe ... I think) ...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside

@SEANMCAD said:
@FelipeInside said:

@SEANMCAD said:

This made me think of you today: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2097460/chromebooks-getting-vmware-virtual-desktop-service.html

And actually Google ASKED for it. Told you Chromebook wasn't as popular as you thought (or would like), they are now trying to save it by running Windows on it.

so are you then willing to say that because Microsoft is looking at Android apps to run on a windows phone that this means windows phone are struggling?

as a developer myself I can say being able to run a VM on google Chrome is awesome

sales of chromebook

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2428789,00.asp

I have a chromebook by the way and its friggin sweet for the price point

Windows Phone has always struggled from the get-go to get developers to create for it, even though it's app store was the fastest growing out of all the phones.

Personally I think if they go the Android way it's a mistake, but time will tell.