Star Wolves 2 - good game but seen it all before.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DABhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 DABhand
Member since 2005 • 174 Posts

I enjoyed the first Star Wolves so recently I got Star Wolves 2 which I immediately installed when I got home. As you do :P

Started out ok, but then it started to slip into the been there done that scenario. The characters have not been given a makeover, the old faces from SW1 is still used in SW2 (bad move). The whole system is practically the same.

The voice acting has not improved since SW1 which I was disappointed with, since being a big seller originally im sure they had the money to hire good english voice actors. A couple of the characters sound ok with the russian accents but some are well bad, as if they are... reading from... a script... and trying to ..... speak english.... as best they can.

One really annoying thing is the fact the storyline is so linear, no matter who you chose to side with, you do not get a choice on what to do really. And even more annoying is the fact these missions always seem to pop up when your traveling to a portal to jump out. So when they are busy speaking away up pops the "Do you want to teleport to xxxxxx". So when you leave the speaking after a long unnecessary pause before returing to game play (another bad design fault) you are presented with no UI, you have to wait for the message to pop up again and press ENTER to teleport and go back to normal.

Then you have some bad major mission killing bugs, at one point you will meet AI (which they seem to call AL dont ask why) and you have to save her to get her to help you get more information on an alien object. Now I dunno what happens since everytime I save her she blows up (her ship has no armor what so ever). Which is a major disappointment.

Also the mission to help the MSF in a sector to beat retreating aliens does not trigger its done until you leave the sector and go back, BUT, the mission is still in the log which stays forever. Rather annoying. As is the unnecessary slow down when fighting there, no idea why there is lag there.

Overall I feel it has been a rushed job, and with the money available they chose not to tweak anything much, yes I am a fan of if nothing is broken dont fix it, but not changing characters faces, UI and some other things is very very poor in my opinion and SW2 feels like its more an addon than a new game.

I would give a score of 6/10 myself, was close to making it4.5 but I guess I feel generous today.