Star Citizen continues to grow

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Just 5 short days ago Star Citizen hit the $21 Million in funding mark. Today they've popped $22 Million!

The first birthday of the original announcement has just passed 10/10/12. To celebrate they released the Retaliator (large multi crew heavy bomber), Gladiator (2 person fighter bomber) and Aurora LN (up spec'd basic ship) for limited sale, they are available until Monday.

There's no reason to think they are going to stop there either, next week the Hornet (top end single seat fighter) variants are being released and then we still have the Freelancer (2 man long range exploration ship/light transporter) and Constellation (4 man multi-purpose ship) variants to come over the next few weeks (Constellation could be closer to the end of the year).

Of course we also have the fighter alpha coming up nearer the end of the year as well.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

That looks awesome cant wait to play this..Hope they hit 30 million..

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I gotta say. Their art team rocks. I really like the visual designs.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Yes it does those new Bombers look fukn amazing too.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

AHH!! This game looks so good!

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Have any of you seen how the Avenger looks in the hangar? Absolutely amazing. It's going to be the perfect dog-fighting ship with how completely unobstructed the view is.

I'm also excited to see the variants. May be the nudge I need to buy me a Freelancer.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Awesome, makes me wish I had thrown in for more than the Origin 300i! =/

Ah well, all these badass spaceships just give me a goal to work towards once the game hits.

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#8  Edited By klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

Hope the final product meets the hype. I've already put in $30 in the kickstarter.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

Just who is funding this game, anyway?

Making $1million in five days, months after the first announcement...I've never heard of a crowdfunded project making those kind of numbers before. At $30 for the basic package, that's...what, 60,000 new players a day? Something approaching a million players overall, all pre-ordering a game that has very little marketing, and which isn't in a super-popular genre to begin with? It's odd, to say the least!

*edit* Herp-a-derp, that's 6000 a day, my mistake. Still massive numbers though !

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

To put it another way: they went from 1,000-ish backers a day, earning $2million total, in a month of pushing their Kickstarter campaign... to 6,000-ish backers a day, earning $1million total, in five days of not doing much at all.

The game is vastly more successful now than it was during the Kickstarter campaign a whole year ago, contrary to how every other crowd-funded campaign has worked (as far as I'm aware).

So...the numbers are all weird. I'm guessing they're including investors' and publishers' money in their totals?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Planeforger said:

To put it another way: they went from 1,000-ish backers a day, earning $2million total, in a month of pushing their Kickstarter campaign... to 6,000-ish backers a day, earning $1million total, in five days of not doing much at all.

The game is vastly more successful now than it was during the Kickstarter campaign a whole year ago, contrary to how every other crowd-funded campaign has worked (as far as I'm aware).

So...the numbers are all weird. I'm guessing they're including investors' and publishers' money in their totals?

No, you're not considering people that have already pledged who buy new ships, products, and in-game items that work in the hangar and will carry over into the full release. I've bought the Hornet, the Aurora LN, the Constellation, and the Avenger. I've also bought all the voyager direct items and have bought the max limit of credits. Plus the polo shirts and other tangible merchandise.

Then you have the subscribers who pay 10/20 bucks a month.

So, really, it's not that far-fetched that they have made these kind of numbers with the player-base they've already got.

When I went to PAX East I met a guy who has spent something like $20,000 on the game. That's insane compared to the $500 I've spent over the past six months.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Planeforger:

you're forgetting about the people buying ships that cost more than $100. They also reported afew months back that they would no longer be needing funding from private investors once they hit a certain goal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Are we expecting this game in 2014? or 2015?

Also, 24 million stretch goals.... transportation if you havn't got a spacecraft. call me crazy, BUT THAT SHOULD BE STANDARD NOT A MILESTONE.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@MBirdy88 said:

Are we expecting this game in 2014? or 2015?

Also, 24 million stretch goals.... transportation if you havn't got a spacecraft. call me crazy, BUT THAT SHOULD BE STANDARD NOT A MILESTONE.

Likely release date at the moment is early 2015, it has been pushed back a bit (originally late 2014) but that's not surprising with the growth in content for release.

All the stretch goals are things they plan on adding to the game anyway, with the extra money between each point they can higher the extra peeps needed to get it implemented earlier.

@lawlessx said:

@Planeforger:

you're forgetting about the people buying ships that cost more than $100. They also reported afew months back that they would no longer be needing funding from private investors once they hit a certain goal.

$23 million is needed for complete independence from investors, they should hit that in the next day or two, $22,736,920 at the time of this post or +$700,000 in just short of 3 days.

The Net figure is $21 million but by the time you add in fees from Kickstarter and Paypal it works out at $23 million

twi41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 twi41
Member since 2002 • 2471 Posts

@MBirdy88: Heya m8.

It is already in the system but they are going to expand on it. Here is the excerpt from https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13317-22-Million-And-Hangar-Patch-Live .

• Public Transportation System – Need to get from one place to another but don’t have a starship? We’re building a galactic transportation system. You can travel via transport from system to system in Star Citizen and even ship items (like a ship you need move to another hangar.) With this stretch goal, we’ll expand this system: star liners, long range transports, charter ships and flyable shuttles!

You could always take a taxi back home, but with this you can transfer cargo, larger freight, and now personally fly shuttles yourself.

screecwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 screecwe
Member since 2003 • 101 Posts

@MbirdyW They don't want to feature creep. As some have pointed out, a lot of these stretch goals were already planned, or planned to be implemented on a smaller scale. As of now they are doing the low hanging fruit type of stretch goals. And dont think of it as "this stretch goal costs them 1 million to make". The stretch goal is simply a perk to reward the fanbase since they are continuing to fund the project.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

Does anyone know if they're working with the Oculus Rift? Either way, this is going to be amazing...

twi41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By twi41
Member since 2002 • 2471 Posts

Oculus Rift support was a stretch goal. You won't see alot of work done on it until they release the consumer version. The current dev kit is too low rez.

I have one and have tried to use it in games but targeting anything is hard to do because menu items tend to be huge, due to the low resolution. And targets are very blurry.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I can't wait for this game, haven't played a space sim in almost a decade and this looks to be something special.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Hope this game lasts for a very long time its going to be a epic space game..It might be the kick in the pants for big investors to start looking at this genre again..I really miss some of the old star trek games..Some one needs to do a real star trek game like this game lool would be epic..Not that crap star trek online..

Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

Good level of marketing and CG video design doesn't make me hyped at all to pre-order or purchase or whatever. Promises about functions and implementation do not impress me either. Once I see this game out on the market doing good and critics give its appropriate opinion I'll decide. For now - observation is all it gets from me.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 superclocked

@twi41 said:

Oculus Rift support was a stretch goal. You won't see alot of work done on it until they release the consumer version. The current dev kit is too low rez.

I have one and have tried to use it in games but targeting anything is hard to do because menu items tend to be huge, due to the low resolution. And targets are very blurry.

The consumer version is supposed to be 1080p, so I hope that the devs start to implement it soon. I'm far more excited for the Oculus Rift than any other piece of hardware out there, and a game like Star Citizen would be absolutely amazing using a 3D headset like the Oculus Rift...

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 superclocked

@cyborg100000 said:

I can't wait for this game, haven't played a space sim in almost a decade and this looks to be something special.

Yeah, just imagine it.. An open world space sim where you can essentially go anyplace and do anything in your own spaceship. Besides raider parties stealing ships and the merc groups hired to stop them, I'm guessing that people will mostly start by shipping freight and doing missions for money. Then we can save up for bigger, better ships and become anything we want, good or bad..

I wonder if there will be a military or galactic police force of some kind that people can join to help fight raiding parties. The possibilities are endless, and the devs seem very talented. I hope that they put as much work into the diversity of the world as a whole as they are putting into the 3D models. I have very high hopes for this game...

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Everything points to this game being the best game ever made.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

What is it that makes this game more impressive than Eve Online?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lawlessx

@KHAndAnime said:

depends..what do you like about eve online?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lawlessx

@Code135 said:

Good level of marketing and CG video design doesn't make me hyped at all to pre-order or purchase or whatever. Promises about functions and implementation do not impress me either. Once I see this game out on the market doing good and critics give its appropriate opinion I'll decide. For now - observation is all it gets from me.

None of the trailers are CGI. all running on the game's engine.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Code135 said:

You're so edgy! You must be one miserable person if this game doesn't have you excited.

Furthermore, you could at least be accurate when you try and be negative about something. As lawless already said, none of the trailers are CGI.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@KHAndAnime said:

It's a first-person space sim. It's nothing like EVE Online. Now, it may be like that space sim that CCP is creating, but that remains to be seen.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

@superclocked: Agreed its the most exciting new gaming hardware coming out.