Snowdrop Engine WOW !!! (The Division)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Now this is next-gen graphics (watch in 1080p if your internet allows it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z6rzPjcZL0#t=181

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

A lot of people are already saying that it will probably not look like this when it releases :/

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FelipeInside

@blangenakker said:

A lot of people are already saying that it will probably not look like this when it releases :/

Oh why? :(

On PC it should.

Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

Yea! Remember how Far Cry 3 looked at Reveal vs...Oh wait.

But hey, at least Watch Dogs is....nevermind

Seriously people. This is Ubisoft. Lower your expectations to zero when it comes to consistency.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

I will pre-order this as soon as they put this on the market!

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@Mozuckint said:

Seriously people. This is Ubisoft. Lower your expectations to zero when it comes to consistency.

well its a different studio than most Ubi games. You played World in Conflict?

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Is it multi-platform?

Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

@with_teeth26:

Yes, I'm aware of World in Conflict. However that game was PC exclusive.

I have much faith in Massive Entertainment, I however have Zero in Ubisoft.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside

@Mozuckint said:

Far Cry 3 looked great on my PC.... and Watch Dogs isn't out yet so I can't say.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside
@AlexKidd5000 said:

Is it multi-platform?

Multi Platform but I don't think they use same servers.

@Mozuckint said:

Far Cry 3 looked great on my PC.... and Watch Dogs isn't out yet so I can't say.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@Mozuckint said:

I bet WD will look great on PC. People are obsessing over such small bits of footage here and there, I think it was largely the lighting that made the early footage stand out, and some of those clips were in drab lighting so I bet it won't look as bad as a lot of people are now expecting, especially on the PC.

FC3 and AC4 both looked great for the most part so I don't see why this will be any different.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside

@with_teeth26 said:

@FelipeInside said:
@Mozuckint said:

I bet WD will look great on PC. People are obsessing over such small bits of footage here and there, I think it was largely the lighting that made the early footage stand out, and some of those clips were in drab lighting so I bet it won't look as bad as a lot of people are now expecting, especially on the PC.

FC3 and AC4 both looked great for the most part so I don't see why this will be any different.

Complain because they can.

PC Gamers never used to be this whiny 20 years ago.... no wonder developers don't bother anymore with us.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@with_teeth26 said:

@FelipeInside said:
@Mozuckint said:

Complain because they can.

PC Gamers never used to be this whiny 20 years ago.... no wonder developers don't bother anymore with us.

to be fair the E3 footage of FC3 looked lightyears beyond what the actual release was. Like, in the leagues of Crysis 3.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

@Sweetbackhair said:

@FelipeInside said:

You get the gif award! But seriously. I'm getting this when it comes out!

metroid5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 metroid5
Member since 2004 • 950 Posts

@Mozuckint: reminds of when they had the tech demos of crysis and then it came out. lol

Endgame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Endgame_basic
Member since 2002 • 950 Posts

@Mozuckint said:

Umm, Far Cry 3 turned out to be one of the best fps's of recent years.....

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

Very nice....move over frost

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

@soolkiki said:

@Sweetbackhair said:

@FelipeInside said:

You get the gif award! But seriously. I'm getting this when it comes out!

We gotta play together!

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I've learned to take tech demo's and early viewing of games as a this is where we would like to get it kind of things. Because games and engines almost never live up to what they show off before release. Far cry 3 is a great example I purchased it again for my pc after beating it on ps3, to see what I thought was going to be a major upgrade from the ps3 version. Nope. Game looks nice but no where near what it did in the E3 footage or what I was expecting considering this is a cry engine game.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

The snowdrop engine is looking like it's capable of fantastic things. Let's just hope they can utilise it to it's potential in the Division (or should that be Ubisoft let Massive) and any other games they decide to use it for.

As for Farcry 3, the only thing I was disappointed with was the same old 2d foliage but even Crysis 3 still has that. Assassin's Creed 4 was exactly what I expected. As for Watchdogs I'm still hopeful that it's going to look great on PC and likely will on PS4 and Xbox One as well, though just not up to PC levels of fidelity :)

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#22 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

It looks great but I don't get my hopes too high for these things. I find it almost cringing to see these marketing vids about a game engine. Most of the works is still up to artists and I find it unlikely that it will knock our socks off at release when we see the whole instead of small slices carefully selected due to extra work being put into them.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@Mozuckint said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Mozuckint said:

Far Cry 3 did look amazing. To some people it's just never enough.. Division looks great, just might have to pre-order!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I love how everytime someone is blown away by the amazing engine :D looking forward to it

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Looks great, now I hope this isn't merely a tech demo showing what the engine is capable of.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

I've learned to take tech demo's and early viewing of games as a this is where we would like to get it kind of things. Because games and engines almost never live up to what they show off before release. Far cry 3 is a great example I purchased it again for my pc after beating it on ps3, to see what I thought was going to be a major upgrade from the ps3 version. Nope. Game looks nice but no where near what it did in the E3 footage or what I was expecting considering this is a cry engine game.

far cry 3 is not a cry engine game. do you think that maybe that was the problem, the fact that you expected far cry 3 to look like a cry engine game, when it wasn't?

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

@horgen123 said:

Looks great, now I hope this isn't merely a tech demo showing what the engine is capable of.

I'll just leave this here.

I feel like this happens way too frequently nowadays.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

There is something quite heartbreaking when this snowdrop stuff pops up. After the constant reminders of Ubisoft and its previous games which have failed to live up to the hype, this just looks like its going to be the most painful one yet. Being a PC gamer I don't care if it needs an insane rig to run it as it looks in the videos, just as long as it does look like what it does in the videos. I don't care if we have another Crysis game.

This shows so much potential, more than any reveal thus far and I can't help but think there is going to be a watered down version leaked and then it'll snowballl... I'll leave it there on that awful unintentional pun.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

@Cwagmire21 said:

@horgen123 said:

:/ This is dumb what devs are doing!

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

Looks good. Hopefully it ends up looking like that come launch (luckily on PC your at the very worse getting slightly better base settings and 1080p+ with advanced filtering/settings). I hope the game itself is good as well (I don't want to pay for a tech demo).

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Cwagmire21 said:

@horgen123 said:

*shakes head in anger*

not_wanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 not_wanted
Member since 2008 • 1990 Posts

That looked impressive but I seriously doubt the game will end up looking that good. If Watch Dogs, which I think uses a different engine, will end up looking like in the recent trailers compared to the E3 trailer, then there isn't much hope for The Division either.

They won't even bother with making a decent looking PC version. :( Or maybe they'll pull out another DX 10 bs move like they did last gen. DX 12 is late to the party. What a waste. :|

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

It'll look nothing like that, tech demos are just for show. Just look at Watch Dogs for an example, expect the exact same for The Division.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside

@BattleSpectre said:

It'll look nothing like that, tech demos are just for show. Just look at Watch Dogs for an example, expect the exact same for The Division.

That's what I don't understand.

WHY don't they look like that in the end if the game is running on the demo like that?

Do they later down the track analyze the market and see that they need to lower the requirements or something?

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BattleSpectre

@FelipeInside said:

@BattleSpectre said:

WHY don't they look like that in the end if the game is running on the demo like that?

Do they later down the track analyze the market and see that they need to lower the requirements or something?

Consoles can't handle it, and if they made it look like that on PC only people with GTX 780's and above would be able to play it (cancels a big portion of the market out). I do believe though, during the end of this cycle we can get close to that.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FelipeInside

@BattleSpectre said:

@FelipeInside said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Consoles can't handle it, and if they made it look like that on PC only people with GTX 780's and above would be able to play it (cancels a big portion of the market out). I do believe though, during the end of this cycle we can get close to that.

I understand the console excuse, but surely they should be able to release a version on console which is the equivalent of MEDIUM on PC???

Also, you are correct that only people with higher end machines might be able to play it, but just make it scaleable.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BattleSpectre

@FelipeInside said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@FelipeInside said:

@BattleSpectre said:

I understand the console excuse, but surely they should be able to release a version on console which is the equivalent of MEDIUM on PC???

Also, you are correct that only people with higher end machines might be able to play it, but just make it scaleable.

Time will only tell I guess, we'll see how much of a downgrade the console version will see compared to the E3 footage.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

i'm not super excited about the gameplay stuff i've seen (atleast yet), but i will definetly play this because 1) it's made by Massive and 2) they use this cool new Snowdrop Engine