Skyrim on PC; is it better then console version?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

homeboylizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 homeboylizard
Member since 2010 • 1289 Posts

Well, I bought Skyrim for X360 when it came out first, but then then I got a gaming PC and since the drop of the price on Steam I'll be looking to pick it up again.

Now, is Skyrim with mods generally a better experience than the console version, like more rewarding in battle, better combat and better graphics? 

ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
Yeah, mods are the only redeeming feature of Skyrim.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Any Bethesda game is better on PC than on consoles.
Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
It's better in almost every way. Better graphics for sure even unmodded, as you can download a high res texture pack. Combat is the same if you don't get mods, but it can change drastically with mods. The only downside to the PC version is that it sometimes crashes when you are running many mods. Check out the Skyrim workshop and Nexus from all the mods available: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/browse/?appid=72850&browsesort=toprated http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/
homeboylizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 homeboylizard
Thanks...I'll be sure to buy this on Steam.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

The game looks, runs, and plays a LOT better on Pc vs consoles. Skyrim vanialla, nevermind Skyrim consoles, isn't all that great, IMHO.

My recommendations:

- First tweak your Skyrim by changing the uGrids to 7 (9 is good, but it's not all that stable, so stick with 7). You cna find out how to do this via google search.

- Make sure you set your FOV to somehting like 80 or so. MUCH more immersive to have that extra field of view (nto to mention easier on the eyes).

- In terms of mods subscribe to all of the "cities and vllages enhanced" mods. They radiclaly change the wya the game looks. Also pick up any armor/wepaon mods that strike your fancy. The unnoficcial patch mods are next. Required, really, since Bethesda still won't fix a number of bugs in the game. Get pure waters, better ice, better snow, and more lush trees/grass. Top it off with an ENB mod from the Nexus. I'm running UnBleak Which is AWESOME. It feels like I'm watchign a movie sometimes. Really nice.

After that, it's up to you. I personally have a few mods that enhance ranged ocmbat by making archery more satisfying. Longbows, damage modifiers, etc. there are also a number of mods that enhance melee combat. 

Unbleak:

ic4fbelDFeP0T.png2318089-1349535541.jpg351527-1349038332.jpg4737292-1349147675.jpg

Some of my own Screenies:

AF40C1422FDDC75DEFA248A82EB732A000654C9A

735772793ED6BA57446B62CD7068DE67AC9D575C

D518CDF22B7097C0CC3A659E801090CFD8AE315D

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

yes much better

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

It's better on PC in every single way. Better controls with m/k (but supports 360 pad of course), better graphics, better loading times, better draw distance, better performance and MODS.

The game is supported by steam workshop and has tens of thousands of mods that can be installed with one single click. They even get updated automatically.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Besides unlimited, free, quality DLC with huge variety (patches, graphical mods, aditional content like new armours, etc.), it also looks better and performs better.

Spitf1re-us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Spitf1re-us
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Mods.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

It's better on PC in every single way. Better controls with m/k (but supports 360 pad of course), better graphics, better loading times, better draw distance, better performance and MODS.

The game is supported by steam workshop and has tens of thousands of mods that can be installed with one single click. They even get updated automatically.

Ben-Buja

I agree with all of this, but 360 controller support is never guaranteed for the PC version of a 360 game. Oblivion, for instance, had terrible controller support in the PC version.

-Byshop

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

Its like asking if 2 is bigger than 1

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

Well, I bought Skyrim for X360 when it came out first, but then then I got a gaming PC and since the drop of the price on Steam I'll be looking to pick it up again.

Now, is Skyrim with mods generally a better experience than the console version, like more rewarding in battle, better combat and better graphics? 

homeboylizard
10,000 x better on pc. once you play it on pc, it's basically unplayable on console.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Mods, load times, graphics/fps all better on PC

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

[QUOTE="homeboylizard"]

buccomatic

10,000 x better on pc. once you play it on pc, it's basically unplayable on console.

Definatly

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#16 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

There are literally tons of mods to keep you busy, it will last you longer then any DLC will. 

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#17 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

SWS skyrim steam works.  my current list 

how's 13k+ more  and that just steam works that make life easy. there is also nexus 

there is a video on GS homepage with skyrim mods that has a combat mod in it. 

There is also new magic spell mods

arrow mods

gotta have the horse mods that speed them up a tad bit, there is whistle power that calls your horse to you, horse armour which stops them dieing if you want. and there is combat where you can use your sword/bows on top of the horse

SOO much fun 

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts
i was in the exact same situation as you a few months back. yes it's so much better in every aspect. i've got over 200 mods installed currently but i haven't played in a 3 months so i would probably have more than that if i were to start playing again.
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
I didn't think it was all that better on the pc, the x360 version is pretty good too. Off course unmodded. On a 32 inch screen. If you have a 50 inch screen, the difference would be a lot bigger.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Even without mods, it's a better experience in every measurable way. Assuming you can max it out with decent framerates (and the rig in your sig will have no problems with that), it looks better, runs at about triple the framerate, and has more control options with a better interface. Then you factor in mods, which can easily improve the graphics to look a generation ahead of the vanilla game, completely revamp the combat system so it's not crap, completely redesign the UI into something far more pleasing and functional, add in new weapons and armor (both lore-friendly and not, if you choose), whole new dungeons and caves, and missions, hours upon hours of free, quality DLC content... It's no contest. Not even close. A comparison is laughable, at best.

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts
No version is better. Its terrible.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_bi99man

No version is better. Its terrible.mep69

It's got its drawbacks, but at least the PC version can be improved drastically. Better by default.

porktater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 porktater
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Agreed, PC version + mods is totally awesome.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

My goodness yes, the PC version adds SOOOO much content you're bound to find something you think's awesome!

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 ShadowJax04
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts

Infinitely yes. Mods alone makes any Bethesda game worth it on the PC, plus enhanced graphics options. But I'd rather you pick up Fallout New Vegas instead!

Any Bethesda game is better on PC than on consoles. Miroku32

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
Of course, but it's still a pretty lackluster game.
Avatar image for crippledmachine
crippledmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 crippledmachine
Member since 2013 • 256 Posts

PC version runs and looks much better. You must get that version if your PC is capable.

Almost all games are better on PC.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

You can transfer your 360 save and play it on PC.

krisroe_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 krisroe_213
Member since 2003 • 898 Posts

Not even debateable

II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 II-Siamak-II
Member since 2012 • 480 Posts

Any Bethesda game is better on PC than on consoles. Miroku32

This... but ima go out of my way and say ANY Game is better on PC than on Consoles.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="Miroku32"]Any Bethesda game is better on PC than on consoles. II-Siamak-II

This... but ima go out of my way and say ANY Game is better on PC than on Consoles.

Considering the amount of poor ports the PC gets from time to time, I would have to strongly disagree.

II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 II-Siamak-II

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

[QUOTE="Miroku32"]Any Bethesda game is better on PC than on consoles. JangoWuzHere

Considering the amount of poor ports the PC gets from time to time, I would have to strongly disagree.

I said that based on my own experience and TBH even the crapiest ports I've played was better graphic wise and performance wise than the console counterpart. The most recent poor port I played was Dark Souls which was so much better than then console version I played. ( I did apply DSFix )

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

II-Siamak-II

I said that based on my own experience and TBH even the crapiest ports I've played was better graphic wise and performance wise than the console counterpart. The most recent poor port I played was Dark Souls which was so much better than then console version I played. ( I did apply DSFix )

I've played Splinter Cell Double Agent, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Silent Hill: Homecoming, Resident Evil 4, and Call of Duty: Black Ops. I can safely say that not all PC releases are better or can be fixed. And that's just counting this generation of games, there are far worse ports last generation and in the 90s.

Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

Short version: Yes
Long version: Hell yes 

II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 II-Siamak-II

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

JangoWuzHere

I've played Splinter Cell Double Agent, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Silent Hill: Homecoming, Resident Evil 4, and Call of Duty: Black Ops. I can safely say that not all PC releases are better or can be fixed. And that's just counting this generation of games, there are far worse ports last generation and in the 90s.

Every single game you mentioned I own and played on PC and not owned but played on console and I have to completely disagree with you, specially Force Unleashed, Black Ops, Resident Evil 4 (moded), you might not be mainly a PC Gamer, but again from my personal experience I have always been able to identify and fix the problems I had with certain games, and just the higher resolution in those game alone makes it worth my investment in PC version of them, specially since you mentioned I always take Force Unleashed at 1080P with AA forced through Nvidia Control Panel over the laggy blurry mess it is on console. Im not here to argue with you but only sharing my experience, whatever float your boat ma man, I can never ever play multiplats on console after experiencing the goodness of PC even in harsh times.

DJP3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DJP3000
Member since 2010 • 293 Posts

There are a few disadvantages to the PC version of Skyrim:

1. User can't resell the PC version since it's tied to the user's Steam account,  so user be prepared to keep it even if user don't want it.

2. If Steam goes out of business, user don't have access to that game anymore.

3. User must run Steam in the background to play that game, not necessarly being online though, not a big deal with a CPU with at least 2 cores.

I never played the Skyrim on any of my consoles and only played the PC version.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 the_bi99man

1. User can't resell the PC version since it's tied to the user's Steam account,  so user be prepared to keep it even if user don't want it.

3. User must run Steam in the background to play that game, not necessarly being online though, not a big deal with a CPU with at least 2 cores.

DJP3000

1: Who cares? its cheaper than the console version, and has endless extra content for free. 

2: Offline mode covers that. Also, not going to happen.

3: Not a big deal for pretty much any PC that has even the slightest hope of running anything but flash games. Steam isn't a resource hog.

II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 II-Siamak-II

DJP3000

Aren't you tierd of trolling PC forums? dude go out and do some other activities, just take a break from gaming and gamespots's PC forums for a while, trust me its good for you.

robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

The game is great on the pc.

I have about 10-15 mods installed, mostly fixes, textures and lighting mods. Paired with some messing about in the skyrimprefs file, the game looks fantastic, and makes it even more immersive and fun. Had some initial problems with lag, but nothing a new cpu couldnt fix...

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

[QUOTE="DJP3000"]

the_bi99man

1: Who cares? its cheaper than the console version, and has endless extra content for free. 

2: Offline mode covers that. Also, not going to happen.

3: Not a big deal for pretty much any PC that has even the slightest hope of running anything but flash games. Steam isn't a resource hog.

1. Skyrim frequently goes on sale during weekend and holiday deals for as low as $5, making this very moot. Besides, a digital distribution copy is in many ways an advantage since you don't need a physical copy to play. No, you don't have a disc that you can re-sell, but the flip side is you don't have a disc that can be damaged or that you have to keep with you. You can access your Skyrim game from literally any computer that you can log into Steam from. I have Skyrim installed on my main gaming desktop as well as my gaming laptop and I can play it on either one at will without having to move a physical disc around like i would with the 360 version.

2. This is unlikely to happen and even if it did, they would very likely make the Steam games purchased through a Steam account available to those who purchased them. Historically when a non-MMO online service is going out of business and not transitioning it's customer base to a new company, they remove the DRM on their now outdated products that were available through that service.

3. Steam consumes pretty much no resources while running in the background except a small amount of memory. Besides, how is this a "disadvantage" relative to the console version when pretty much any PC is so much faster than any current gen consoles?

-Byshop

homeboylizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 homeboylizard
Just bought it...installed a lot of gameplay and visual mods...running it all with True Vision ENB.
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GeneralMufinMan

Just bought it...installed a lot of gameplay and visual mods...running it all with True Vision ENB.homeboylizard

How hard is it to get True Vision ENB up and running? When I went to their Nexus page it looked like 100 bloody steps 

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#43 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Stating the obvious here, but hell yeah, way better on PC. Just the cleaner, more crisp, higher resolution graphics alone on Skyrim PC is better. I don't even have to mention the mods, because that's what makes most Bethesda games shine. Hi-res Texture pack and all the goodies. I'm one of few people that enjoyed Skyrim for 100+ hours without mods, just vanilla Skyrim. I can't wait to try some mods I've found though.
LordShockTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LordShockTitan
Member since 2013 • 218 Posts

Mods or no mods, it will be and always will be better than consoles.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1644 Posts
Graphics aside, the first thing I noticed was how much quicker the loading transitions are when playing on PC. Entering cities, buildings, caves is so much quicker with all that extra RAM you've got to play with.
homeboylizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 homeboylizard

[QUOTE="homeboylizard"]Just bought it...installed a lot of gameplay and visual mods...running it all with True Vision ENB.GeneralMufinMan

How hard is it to get True Vision ENB up and running? When I went to their Nexus page it looked like 100 bloody steps 

5-10 minutes maybe?

1.DL True vision and the orginal ENB

2.Copy one of the "preset" folder into Skyrim

3.Copy the d3d9.dll from original ENB (wrappper version)

4.Tweak the .ini files (1 minute of work)

5.Play

Side note: Copying the data folder will BRAKE YOUR SAVE FILES! DO NOT COPY IT!!!

GoreSmasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GoreSmasher
Member since 2007 • 63 Posts

First mod to get is sky ui. It overhauls the horrible stock UI. If you have the graphics to handle it, get 2k textures. I use an ENB photorealism mod that's incredible. PC blows consoles out of the water if you have decent hardware. I still have a 360 for my sports and racing.

GoreSmasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GoreSmasher
Member since 2007 • 63 Posts

ENB isnt hard. you just add and replace some files. Just follow the instructions.

GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GeneralMufinMan

[QUOTE="GeneralMufinMan"]

[QUOTE="homeboylizard"]Just bought it...installed a lot of gameplay and visual mods...running it all with True Vision ENB.homeboylizard

5-10 minutes maybe?

1.DL True vision and the orginal ENB

2.Copy one of the "preset" folder into Skyrim

3.Copy the d3d9.dll from original ENB (wrappper version)

4.Tweak the .ini files (1 minute of work)

5.Play

Side note: Copying the data folder will BRAKE YOUR SAVE FILES! DO NOT COPY IT!!!

ah good, I thought I had to track down, download and install each of those mods individually

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

As someone whos played all 3 versions, yes PC is the one to go with.