quick question about Laptop speeds

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shaigus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Shaigus
Member since 2004 • 2673 Posts
ok, so I need to get a Laptop for school. What I want to know is if I'm better off with a faster cpu and less RAM, or more RAM and a slower cpu? basically which would be generally faster, bearing in mind I won't be gaming all that much
Shaigus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Shaigus
anyone?
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Krall
Member since 2002 • 16463 Posts
What will you be running on it then? Stuff like Word or stuff like a CAD program?
Shaigus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shaigus
What will you be running on it then? Stuff like Word or stuff like a CAD program?Krall

largely stuff from Word to Photoshop, basic movie software, music, MSN. lot's of multitasking
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Krall
I'd go with more RAM...

What exactly are the differences CPU to memory and memory to CPU between the choices?
Shaigus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shaigus
most likely it would be either 1.63 ghz dual core and 2 gigs of ram or a 2 ghz dual core and 1 gig of ram
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Krall

[QUOTE="Shaigus"]most likely it would be either 1.63 ghz dual core and 2 gigs of ram or a 2 ghz dual core and 1 gig of ramroulettethedog

If you can upgrade the RAM on the 2 ghz, I'd go with that laptop because adding more RAM is easier then upgrading the C.P.U. Either way, for what you require out of this laptop, both computers will more then satisfy your needs.

Great point. If you can't upgrade the RAM later on or it's a cost restraint I'd still go with the 2GB as the speed difference between 1.63GHz & 2.00GHz isn't that great.
Shaigus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shaigus
[QUOTE="roulettethedog"]

[QUOTE="Shaigus"]most likely it would be either 1.63 ghz dual core and 2 gigs of ram or a 2 ghz dual core and 1 gig of ramKrall

If you can upgrade the RAM on the 2 ghz, I'd go with that laptop because adding more RAM is easier then upgrading the C.P.U. Either way, for what you require out of this laptop, both computers will more then satisfy your needs.

Great point. If you can't upgrade the RAM later on or it's a cost restraint I'd still go with the 2GB as the speed difference between 1.63GHz & 2.00GHz isn't that great.

awesome, thanks