TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts

Aight it seems that my Asrock z77 pro3 mobo is about to die and I still have warranty with it but I'm so mad that I just want to go with a quality brand instead of jumping through the Asrock RMA hoops. I also want to get a fully modular power supply while I'm at it so I'm currently looking at these 2 products.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093GP1A6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2E03HGVYBRQJB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M2UIXX2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The power supply I'm fairly confidant I'm making the right decision on but the motherboard on the other hand I'm not so sure. Is this a good decision or should I go with an ASUS board instead?

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

What's wrong with your board?

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TrooperManaic

The sound and ethernet died the graphics output shows artifacting as well. I get bluescreens every couple of hours showing hardware failure aswell.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U

@TrooperManaic:

I assume everything is enabled in BIOS and drivers are installed. Kind of odd having that many failures. I know a lot of LAN's tend to go out in boards. It's rare for sound to go out too. Your chipset on the board must be bad. Since a lot of IO's are shared with the 16x PCIe slot. Your BIOS could even be corrupt... But I don't think that would be the issue unless you used a modded BIOS. In extreme cases it could even be your CPU.

I actually got support from Asrock a few weeks ago and they even took the time to make me a custom BIOS just for me... Because Asus can't make video cards. I can't imagine how they could have made you so mad. They seemed pretty nice to me.

As for the mother board. Z77 is getting harder and harder to find. They are out of the motherboard biz, I would look for some other brand. Like MSI or Asus. Extreme 4 is still on sale last I looked in newegg about a week ago and I used 4 of those boards with no issues. That's up to you.

I think that power supply is good. I recommend to everyone Corsair or Seasonic.

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TrooperManaic

yeah the bios is all set up fine. Every time I get the blue screen my system time resets. I replaced the battery but still does it.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Truth_Hurts_U

@TrooperManaic:

Only the system time resets? No other set adjustments by you are reset aswell?

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TrooperManaic

sometimes my bios resets other times it doesn't.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U

Sounds like it's corrupt then.

You can request for a new BIOS chip. It's swappable and located here on your board.

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TrooperManaic

I would agree with you but my motherboard is grounding out too. My friend is an electrical expert and he found it was faulty hardware somewhere near the capacitors by my CPU. Ill probably RMA my board but I dont want to wait 1-2 months for it to come though the mail. Id rather buy a new board.

Ill try looking at it later and taking pictures if I see any blown or burnt up parts.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U

Mosfets and chokes lie next to the caps around the CPU.

I had to RMA my Asus board. I bought Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 as a back up. Even the most regarded brands can fail.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

One of the best boards I ever owned was an ASRock. You just got unlucky.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts
@TrooperManaic said:

Aight it seems that my Asrock z77 pro3 mobo is about to die and I still have warranty with it but I'm so mad that I just want to go with a quality brand instead of jumping through the Asrock RMA hoops. I also want to get a fully modular power supply while I'm at it so I'm currently looking at these 2 products.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093GP1A6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2E03HGVYBRQJB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M2UIXX2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The power supply I'm fairly confidant I'm making the right decision on but the motherboard on the other hand I'm not so sure. Is this a good decision or should I go with an ASUS board instead?

Intel MOBO? WTF? go with either Asus, MSI, Gigabyte or ASRock.

Also not sure why you need to spend 170$ on a PSU but whatever it's your money

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Mobo: go with Asus, MSI or Gigabyte.
PSU: Corsair PSUs are great but they're overpriced.
If you want a good quality PSU and want to save some money then consider one of these (both are 80+ Gold).
EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 or Rosewill Photon 850W.

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TrooperManaic

some online buddies talked me into getting this instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151111&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= but as far as the mobo goes IDK. Its not as if I am hating on Asrock. Its just that I don't want to wait for a new mobo to come into the mail when its going to take so long.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@TrooperManaic said:

some online buddies talked me into getting this instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151111&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= but as far as the mobo goes IDK. Its not as if I am hating on Asrock. Its just that I don't want to wait for a new mobo to come into the mail when its going to take so long.

I had a Corsair AX1200i (Platinum) and my EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2 (Gold) is just as good. Platinum really makes no difference just costs way more. But Seasonic makes nice PSUs indeed. Just look into Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic, Rosewill & Antec. All of em make good quality PSUs.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

Sorry to hear that! Mine is the Z77 Extreme 4 from AsRock. Love the board! Always hate it when I get a faulty part from a manufacturer. I suppose that's what you get when things are mass produced. :/