Planetary Annihilation for 17 dollars- yay or nay?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Poll Planetary Annihilation for 17 dollars- yay or nay? (18 votes)

YAY 61%
NAY 33%

so planetary annihilation is on sale for 17 dollars.... it love supcom type games.... i know this is early access so i wanted to check in with anyone that already has it. worth the purchase? are there people playing? is it in a playable state?

vote here plz!

• 
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I'm dying to know too. As far as up and coming games go, my current glance leads me to believe this is one holds the most potential. All I've noticed is that its development is a lot quicker paced than other early access titles, which is certainly a good thing.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

I picked it up a couple of months ago, but I haven't played it. I don't do early access, I am waiting for it to fully finally launch.

My GF picked it up last night for $17. She was "iffy" until I talked her into it, but it turns out she actually enjoys what bit of it she did play.

1st. You can tell the game isn't finished. (needs a good bit of polishing out) But you can also tell the game is also gonna be pretty cool too.

2nd. It doesn't seem to use near as much GPU, as much as it does CPU, and RAM. (at this point)

3rd. If you get it now, you get the pre-order bonuses.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Lach0121 said:

This alone worth it.

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

I picked it up last night, and since there were a lot of new players there were some server issues. I managed to get a working game of multiplayer in that was a 3v3 team game and had a blast. I also got in part of an AI game before calling it quits, and I was getting my ass handed to me, but I've never put the time in to be good at a RTS so I suck. This game might actually change that though. I'd say it's worth $17.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I bit, though I still don't like the stupid cartoony art style. As a game though it feels like supreme commander did, and maybe even Total Annihilation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Personal experience from my few hours of hands on with it (so far)?

Would be Nay, but just barely.

In the state the game is in right now, it is playable just fine, but what we are looking for is what the released product is like, right?

Aight first off, it reminds me ALOT about Supreme COmmander (well duh) a bit more cartoony, but Sup Comm was not exactly something that aimed at different in my eyes (more metallic perhaps but else it all seems fairly in line).

My issues so Far: The way you build in the game, and tech up goes against what I would expect, and ends up taking hopeless amounts of Space. Need to build new factories of higher tech with a prior tech builder, leads to around 6-9 basic Buildings. aswell as a more confusing flow in basebuilding then Sup Com.

If the game is going to be like this in its final stage, my 3-4 rounds paint a negative Picture as resources were bloody everywhere, not much management needed there, just a ton of mass extractors and power.

And the actual combat given its very random nature often ends up (with the no borders on planets) two way slugfests that borders on tedium.

Ok alot of negatives right? Well as I said given that this is still early on, I am unsure if the final game will be like this.

And the more important fact, when you get offworld, and start Building and managing planets in the solar system, you can see the brillience below the surface, you can see the meaning with it all, and when you wage war from planet to planet it gets pretty fun. Although Ive only ever managed to stomache the starting fight on the spawning planet twice.

So It will depend on the fairth you have in the devs. I would think, as it stands it is an allright RTS, cluttered and simplistic in alot of ways, with Little to no ressource management needed. But even in the state it is in, it will still give you some enjoyable moments.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

haha I saw this on steam for £72 once that like $90.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

I would wait until it gets an official release. I always have a bad feeling about early access games.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46287 Posts

@skipper847 said:

haha I saw this on steam for £72 once that like $90.

That was less than a year ago XD

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58960 Posts

Does it have a proper single player?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Does it have a proper single player?

Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 uninspiredcup

Thank you. The globe thing could be annoying so I will keep my money for now.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lawlessx

@uninspiredcup said:

globe thing?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 uninspiredcup

@lawlessx said:

@uninspiredcup said:

globe thing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globe

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lawlessx
@uninspiredcup said:

@lawlessx said:

@uninspiredcup said:

globe thing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globe

just can't help yourself huh? gotta be a ass

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#16 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

@Lach0121 said:

I picked it up a couple of months ago, but I haven't played it. I don't do early access, I am waiting for it to fully finally launch.

My GF picked it up last night for $17. She was "iffy" until I talked her into it, but it turns out she actually enjoys what bit of it she did play.

1st. You can tell the game isn't finished. (needs a good bit of polishing out) But you can also tell the game is also gonna be pretty cool too.

2nd. It doesn't seem to use near as much GPU, as much as it does CPU, and RAM. (at this point)

How did you meet and how long have you been going out for?!

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#17 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

rofl....this is why you don't pay $100 for a game.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lawlessx

@vfibsux said:

unless you want to.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

@biggest_loser: We met on WOW, we have been together over 6 years, lived together for about 5 of those.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KHAndAnime

@RossRichard said:

I would wait until it gets an official release. I always have a bad feeling about early access games.

Yes, everyone intending to get this game - don't save $33 because someone here has a bad feeling about early access games :P

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

@Maddie_Larkin said:

Personal experience from my few hours of hands on with it (so far)?

Would be Nay, but just barely.

In the state the game is in right now, it is playable just fine, but what we are looking for is what the released product is like, right?

Aight first off, it reminds me ALOT about Supreme COmmander (well duh) a bit more cartoony, but Sup Comm was not exactly something that aimed at different in my eyes (more metallic perhaps but else it all seems fairly in line).

My issues so Far: The way you build in the game, and tech up goes against what I would expect, and ends up taking hopeless amounts of Space. Need to build new factories of higher tech with a prior tech builder, leads to around 6-9 basic Buildings. aswell as a more confusing flow in basebuilding then Sup Com.

If the game is going to be like this in its final stage, my 3-4 rounds paint a negative Picture as resources were bloody everywhere, not much management needed there, just a ton of mass extractors and power.

And the actual combat given its very random nature often ends up (with the no borders on planets) two way slugfests that borders on tedium.

Ok alot of negatives right? Well as I said given that this is still early on, I am unsure if the final game will be like this.

And the more important fact, when you get offworld, and start Building and managing planets in the solar system, you can see the brillience below the surface, you can see the meaning with it all, and when you wage war from planet to planet it gets pretty fun. Although Ive only ever managed to stomache the starting fight on the spawning planet twice.

So It will depend on the fairth you have in the devs. I would think, as it stands it is an allright RTS, cluttered and simplistic in alot of ways, with Little to no ressource management needed. But even in the state it is in, it will still give you some enjoyable moments.

the game makes micro managing extremely simple by allowing for mass building so that say you need 20 power plants, 20 power storage things, 30 metal extractors and 30 metal storage to get your production for 40 vehicle factories going you really only need to click 5 times because you can mass build things and resource collectors are the easiest thing to build. You can take 2 builders hold control and set them to go cover the planet in resource collectors, the game is designed in such a way that your builders do their own thing for long periods of time and need no supervision ever and while it does make for ridiculous sized bases it is also incredibly easy to raise an army of a thousand tanks with a few clicks.

My biggest issue with the game by far is that the planets are way way too small, they should be atleast 5 times bigger so that exploration is a thing and you don't cover a planet with your base in 10 minutes.

Also combat isn't so much a slugfest as it is a war of attrition where you try to slowly grind down the other base by outmatching their production, making important strikes at their vital reconaissance and defensive structures. The game's combat is very different than other rts's because micromanaging large groups of units is not the way to go. The best way is to set 10 factories sending guys constantly into their base. If they made a system where units gained xp and got better with said xp the game would take on an entirely different style

Also the nanobots are completely useless

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By vfibsux

@KHAndAnime said:

@RossRichard said:

Yes, everyone intending to get this game - don't save $33 because someone here has a bad feeling about early access games :P

Yea let's not talk about how it was going for $99 mere months ago......early access is awesome.

@lawlessx said:

@vfibsux said:

unless you want to.

Yep, and I have the right to lmfao as well.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@vfibsux said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@RossRichard said:

Yea let's not talk about how it was going for $99 mere months ago......early access is awesome.

@lawlessx said:

@vfibsux said:

unless you want to.

for someone who would like everyone to believe that you would die on a cross to point out a troll..... you seem to be doing a lot of trolling here. :(

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vfibsux

@cyloninside said:

@vfibsux said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@RossRichard said:

@lawlessx said:

@vfibsux said:

unless you want to.

for someone who would like everyone to believe that you would die on a cross to point out a troll..... you seem to be doing a lot of trolling here. :(

You don't talk to me about trolling, that is all you do on this forum so bite me. I trolled no one, I commented on the situation.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@vfibsux said:

@cyloninside said:

@vfibsux said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@RossRichard said:

@lawlessx said:

@vfibsux said:

unless you want to.

You don't talk to me about trolling, that is all you do on this forum so bite me. I trolled no one, I commented on the situation.

"Yea let's not talk about how it was going for $99 mere months ago......early access is awesome."

sarcastic comment meant to irritate or provoke.... definition of trolling

"rofl....this is why you don't pay $100 for a game."

intentionally poking fun at, and making light of peoples prerogative to spend their money the way they choose... clearly trolling those people.

"Yep, and I have the right to lmfao as well."

clearly pointing out that you are laughing at people for doing something that you consider dumb....the only reason you would point that out is it irritate or provoke those people, otherwise you would keep it to yourself.... again the definition of trolling

please.... continue with your "im not trolling" bit. i do so enjoy a wannabe martyr in the morning.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KHAndAnime

@cyloninside said:

"Yea let's not talk about how it was going for $99 mere months ago......early access is awesome."

sarcastic comment meant to irritate or provoke.... definition of trolling

"rofl....this is why you don't pay $100 for a game."

intentionally poking fun at, and making light of peoples prerogative to spend their money the way they choose... clearly trolling those people.

"Yep, and I have the right to lmfao as well."

clearly pointing out that you are laughing at people for doing something that you consider dumb....the only reason you would point that out is it irritate or provoke those people, otherwise you would keep it to yourself.... again the definition of trolling

please.... continue with your "im not trolling" bit. i do so enjoy a wannabe martyr in the morning.

I agree, I don't think you could be any more on point, there were points where I'm convinced vfibsux has nothing other to do than troll. We get it, you don't like early access titles - you might be better off leaving PC gaming altogether because early access games are here to stay and will only grow more popular with time, which only leaves a small amount of threads for you to actually contribute substantial commentary, because we already know you're incapable of saying anything other than "lol early acess".