PC Issue Need Internet Wisdom

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

Ok within the last few months I get pauses in cursor movement etc(lasting a second or two)usually when surfing the net. I use Chrome for the most part. Sometimes the pc will completely freeze after doing this and only option is to manually shut down or restart. Also my mouse cursor will not change to what it should like the finger, pointer or typing blinking dash. Right now it should be blinking dash inside this text box but it's not it's still the standard windows pointer.

Sometimes I get artifacts too and one time I got nvidia driver error message so GPU might be dying? Maybe just try new drivers? Sometimes I "shut down" my PC and windows seems to shut down but the actual PC remains powered. I have to manually hold the button.

I think I had this problem last summer too. Could it be the heat and humidity? Defrag? New drivers? Virus maybe? Reformat W7? What are my options here?

I must add that I swear it only happens when surfing the net. I can get in a game and play for hours with no problems. A few times though the games did seem to run chunkier but it would never freeze or anything like I mentioned above.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Could be overheating, get some OSD and see what your temps are. Could also be malware.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Hmm. It could be a GPU overheating issue, but that would carry over into games as well. What model GPU do you have? how old?

This is a long shot but have you tried opening the case and cleaning everything; take out the video card and clean the fans and stuff too. You can use a vacuum and some cotton swabs on the fans. Make sure the case has sufficient air flow and has 'room to breathe'. Always check to new drivers too. A reformat and re-install of the OS never hurts either. Cleaning my PC like that actually fixed an issue with Dragon Age: Origins stuttering way back when I had by 8800 gts. Took it out and cleaned it and it worked like a charm, for several more years I might add.

If it only happens when surfing the web, maybe your HDD has some corrupt sectors in that area. If it was fragmented the read/write times would only increase slightly since the discs would just have to spin more, so a defrag probably isn't the solution. There are also other tools you can use to diagnose these things. Have you tried a live linux distro with diagnostic tools? like UltimateBootCD or something. There are often programs that can scan for bad sectors.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Sounds like a dpc latency issue. Use latencymon and it will tell you what process is causing that.

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Blutfahne

@pyro1245: GTX 460 only 2 years old or so. I did clean it out 2 weeks ago, reset the cmos etc. I haven't checked the cpu to see if it needs new gel in years though.

Alright let me try a few of these suggestions.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@blutfahne said:

Ok within the last few months I get pauses in cursor movement etc(lasting a second or two)usually when surfing the net. I use Chrome for the most part. Sometimes the pc will completely freeze after doing this and only option is to manually shut down or restart. Also my mouse cursor will not change to what it should like the finger, pointer or typing blinking dash. Right now it should be blinking dash inside this text box but it's not it's still the standard windows pointer.

Sometimes I get artifacts too and one time I got nvidia driver error message so GPU might be dying? Maybe just try new drivers? Sometimes I "shut down" my PC and windows seems to shut down but the actual PC remains powered. I have to manually hold the button.

I think I had this problem last summer too. Could it be the heat and humidity? Defrag? New drivers? Virus maybe? Reformat W7? What are my options here?

I must add that I swear it only happens when surfing the net. I can get in a game and play for hours with no problems. A few times though the games did seem to run chunkier but it would never freeze or anything like I mentioned above.

Update Windows.

Check for malware, I had those issues a couple of times.

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

Could also be the power supply is about to die on you. Also maybe the hard drive. Do a backup.

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Blutfahne

@PredatorRules said:

@blutfahne said:

Update Windows.

Update windows? Like reformat or just update lol? W7 is up to date. I have MSE does this check for malware? What's a good free malware program?

@Realmjumper said:

Could also be the power supply is about to die on you. Also maybe the hard drive. Do a backup.

What does a backup do for me? Help reveal the problem more or diminish it?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@blutfahne said:

@PredatorRules said:

@blutfahne said:

Update Windows.

Update windows? Like reformat or just update lol? W7 is up to date. I have MSE does this check for malware? What's a good free malware program?

Just update it, I suggest getting a real AV like Kaspersky, NOD32, Norton or AVG.

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Blutfahne

@PredatorRules: I said my W7 is up to date. But I did find almost 5 gigs of old windows update files. Cleaned those then ran the "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" for HDD(which took almost 3 hours) after that. Idk if it's fixed but PC is definitely running smoother.