PC games that somehow feel like WoW (Read for moar info).

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BlackMinistrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 BlackMinistrel
Member since 2010 • 34 Posts

Maybe it has been asked already, but I wish to know if there was any. I've been playing WoW for years, and quit it only because the player depends too much on others, and it gets so competitive that people forget even how to have fun. People flame, spam, everything has to be organized and it affects real life planning as well.

Yes I enjoy the extremely slow character build-up, the grinding, and everything related. Single-player games rarely give me that feeling of accomplishment, I just end up finishing everything too quickly, and turning the difficulty up makes them just more frustrating rather than fun. RPG games don't even have well hidden secrets anymore, like rare pieces of equipment that leave you exploring for long days. Everything today feels just like a breeze.

A friend told me to try FFXII, but the combat was messed up in my opinion. Also, I'm not really into console games.

Beside that, I've already tried: The Elders Scrolls series (+ all the major mods), Fable, Diablo & its clones (boredom and button smashing at its finest imho), Baldur's Gate, and probably most mainstream RPG games. What I'm hoping is that some of you know of some more "underground" game that fits the description and hasn't become famous for whatever reason.

Oh and I hate those where you get to control multiple characters. I want to focus on a single individual at a time.

Thanks in advance, people.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

Maybe it has been asked already, but I wish to know if there was any. I've been playing WoW for years, and quit it only because the player depends too much on others, and it gets so competitive that people forget even how to have fun. People flame, spam, everything has to be organized and it affects real life planning as well.

Yes I enjoy the extremely slow character build-up, the grinding, and everything related. Single-player games rarely give me that feeling of accomplishment, I just end up finishing everything too quickly, and turning the difficulty up makes them just more frustrating rather than fun. RPG games don't even have well hidden secrets anymore, like rare pieces of equipment that leave you exploring for long days. Everything today feels just like a breeze.

A friend told me to try FFXII, but the combat was messed up in my opinion. Also, I'm not really into console games.

Beside that, I've already tried: The Elders Scrolls series (+ all the major mods), Fable, Diablo & its clones (boredom and button smashing at its finest imho), Baldur's Gate, and probably most mainstream RPG games. What I'm hoping is that some of you know of some more "underground" game that fits the description and hasn't become famous for whatever reason.

Oh and I hate those where you get to control multiple characters. I want to focus on a single individual at a time.

Thanks in advance, people.

BlackMinistrel

Hmm Lost Odyssey on 360, or maybe last remnant on pc.

Try Gothic 2, or Enclave, or maybe you could try Final Fantasy XI (11 the mmo)

If I think of More I will let you know

MaxGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MaxGamer
Member since 2002 • 16500 Posts

When I first quit WoW back in like '08, Oblivion was the perfect game to help wean me off the addiction. It's an open world with multiple cities just like in WoW, and there's plenty of rare items to get from side quests. You'll also find yourself engulfed in a story that you didn't really experience in WoW because no one likes to read through a wall of text. There's also professions and different races/classes with skills trees.

BlackMinistrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BlackMinistrel

Hmm Lost Odyssey on 360, or maybe last remnant on pc.

Try Gothic 2, or Enclave, or maybe you could try Final Fantasy XI (11 the mmo)

If I think of More I will let you know

Lach0121

Hmm, I've never tried Enclave. Might have a look at it, thanks.

And thanks MaxGamer, but it's part of the Elder Scrolls series, which as I said in the main post, I have fully squeezed until the very last drop.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

I enjoyed Divinity 2, and Dragon Age recently. Did you like any of those games you mentioned? There isnt much like wow, except other mmos which are going to have alot of the same issues. You could try guild wars, some wow players dont like it but its worth a try.

BlackMinistrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BlackMinistrel

I wanted to try Guild Wars, I even bought it and found it not that bad. Problem is that a sequel is coming and I already image the whole community crumbling as soon as it comes out, and it would be horrible to work my way to the top and then discover noone cares anymore. (And if anyone here is an actual GW player I'd love to hear your opinion on the matter, I don't want and will not open a new thread about this though)

About the games I liked, I love the Elder Scrolls series, but Oblivion is not my fave, I'd say Morrowind or Daggerfall. Fable was decent. I own Dragon Age but I don't like it -that- much.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

I wanted to try Guild Wars, I even bought it and found it not that bad. Problem is that a sequel is coming and I already image the whole community crumbling as soon as it comes out, and it would be horrible to work my way to the top and then discover noone cares anymore. (And if anyone here is an actual GW player I'd love to hear your opinion on the matter, I don't want and will not open a new thread about this though)

About the games I liked, I love the Elder Scrolls series, but Oblivion is not my fave, I'd say Morrowind or Daggerfall. Fable was decent. I own Dragon Age but I don't like it -that- much.

BlackMinistrel
go ahead and play guild wars. PC gamers dont tend to abandon games just because a new shiny sequel is out. Alot of people have lower end machines and dont want to uggrade until they are ready as well.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lach0121

Hey bro, if you want to check out Enclave, its at GOG.com for very good price.

and it is supposed to be fully compatible with windows vista/7 32/64 bit.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lach0121

[QUOTE="BlackMinistrel"]

TerrorRizzing

go ahead and play guild wars. PC gamers dont tend to abandon games just because a new shiny sequel is out. Alot of people have lower end machines and dont want to uggrade until they are ready as well.

This is a very good point, and there are many games out now, and coming out that I won't get until I upgrade my gpu setup. Which is prolly gonna be closer to end of the year, or next year, and I am not the only one thinking this.

marcl18123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 marcl18123
Member since 2006 • 2050 Posts
if your looking for a mmorpg thats like wow, then maybe you might like Allods.
ive played guild wars but i just couldnt get into it, didnt like its pve, it was too pvp focused for my taste, but the game isnt too depend on other players, outside of pvp.
kimkim01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kimkim01
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts

Maybe you could try Dungeon Siege II?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points