This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

How do you make a efficient stealth/melee character for this game?

I put points into stealth and melee but the little rats and crab things spot me a while away.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@uninspiredcup: It's factored based on the number of skill % you put into the skill, plus your Agility. Are you actually "using" the sneak skill in the Skilldex? It's an active skill that you have to turn on and a "Sneak" banner will appear on your HUD. Also, in addition to a Stealth Boy there is an armor you can get later in the game that'll give you a 15% passive bonus.

-Byshop

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 uninspiredcup

Hi. Yes, hitting the "1" key and seeing "sneak" in the bottom left corner with 92+ (if memory serves) in the starting build with points put into melee.

Always spotted. Can't sneak on anything.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Byshop  Moderator

@uninspiredcup: It's modified by other factors. Skills in Fallout 1 and 2 top out at 300%. If you're talking about the first cave it's very tight in there and it's unlikley you'll be able to sneak past rats that you have to pass within a few feet of.

-Byshop

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

I don't think stealth was ever suited for combat in Fallout if that's what you're trying. Melee is perfectly viable though, especially with power armor.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 uninspiredcup

I tend to try play a stealth character in pretty much every RPG. I recently re-finished PT playing as one.

Seems kinda useless in Fallout at the moment, perhaps it becomes more viable later on?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

Later on you'll get stealth boys and much higher stats, which will help. Still, I've never bothered with stealth in Fallout 1 or 2.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Byshop  Moderator

@uninspiredcup said:

I tend to try play a stealth character in pretty much every RPG. I recently re-finished PT playing as one.

Seems kinda useless in Fallout at the moment, perhaps it becomes more viable later on?

Again, where are you talking about? If you mean the first cave it's too narrow for you to totally avoid combat unless you run, plus you can't start your character as an "expert" in any skill. 100% is not the max, especially since stealth is affected by modifiers. Stealth skill doesn't make you invisible.

-Byshop

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup

After much deliberation I have decided this game is actually shit and aged badly.

Probably just go back and play Planescape Torement again. Which also has terrible interface and combat but not to the extent of Fallout.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Byshop  Moderator

@uninspiredcup said:

After much deliberation I have decided this game is actually shit and aged badly.

Probably just go back and play Planescape Torement again. Which also has terrible interface and combat but not to the extent of Fallout.

Why, exactly? Because you're finding that the stealth skill doesn't actually make you invisible (especially when you only have less that 33% of the maximum skill points you can earn in Stealth)?

Way to just whine about the game and not actually answer my question.. Fallout 1 and 2 are great games, but perhaps you are not up to the challenge of playing an actual old-school RPG? Your statement comes off as very disengenuous, especially considering how sanctimoniously you talked down to people who didn't like playing the new Divinity game for not spoon feeding players the solution to every problem.

Frankly, your whole thread comes off more as a "complaint" thread rather than an actual request for help.

-Byshop

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup

I've decided to try it again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

a heads up uninspired, IF you go stealth, make sure you don't have "always run" toggled on in options. UNtill you get silent running (or Ninja) then running carreis a huge penalty, walking in stealth should be able to get you out the cave.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 uninspiredcup

Yes my friend, auto-run is turned off. The problem seems to spawn from being so dogmatically use to DnD's system.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Byshop  Moderator

@uninspiredcup said:

Yes my friend, auto-run is turned off. The problem seems to spawn from being so dogmatically use to DnD's system.

Fallout's system bears very little resemblence to DnD's system.

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

@Byshop said:

@uninspiredcup said:

-Byshop

think he ment that he himself was, he just finished PT, which was based on D&D. Anyways, should be possible to sneak past the rats in the cave if you are careful. Heck I finished fallout 1 without ever killing anything once, simply because someone told me that it was possible.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@Maddie_Larkin said:

@Byshop said:

@uninspiredcup said:

-Byshop

think he ment that he himself was, he just finished PT, which was based on D&D. Anyways, should be possible to sneak past the rats in the cave if you are careful. Heck I finished fallout 1 without ever killing anything once, simply because someone told me that it was possible.

Yes, I get that this is what he might have meant which is why I kept my response generic. He forgot to include a subject and he used the wrong tense of the verb which is why his sentence reads like a word jumble rather than a coherent statement.

-Byshop

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 uninspiredcup

Thank you for the help MMlauTheDaft, Planeforger and Maddie.

By simply moving close without being detected and hitting the "a" key, I can use points to move in close, and get the first strike. With critical perks, very high damage indeed.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 uninspiredcup

I've had to re-roll my melee stealth character (who is invisible) 3 times due to bugged quests.

Very emotionally upsetting. The patches didn't seem to help much.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MlauTheDaft

@uninspiredcup said:

I've had to re-roll my melee stealth character (who is invisible) 3 times due to bugged quests.

Really? Which quests?

You should consider just moving on, unless they're important to the main plot. I believe patches are not retroactive with saves, by the way.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 uninspiredcup

@MlauTheDaft said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Really? Which quests?

You should consider just moving on, unless they're important to the main plot. I believe patches are not retroactive with saves, by the way.

The patches break your saves if you saved on a previous version. It's a pain in the ass but I'm pretty determined to finish it. Not patching it again, ever. And spamming multiple saves should do the job.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MlauTheDaft

@uninspiredcup said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Really? Which quests?

The patches break your saves if you saved on a previous version. It's a pain in the ass but I'm pretty determined to finish it. Not patching it again, ever. And spamming multiple saves should do the job.

I admire your vigilance ;) I did'nt have your problems but you never do, when you've played a game mulitple times.

Edit:

Also, if you're binging on crpgs anyway,m check out Temple of Elemental Evil. It's supposed to be really good (although nothing beats Torment ofc, best DnD game ever).

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By uninspiredcup

Never heard of Temple of Elemental Evil. Still need to try Arcanuim as well. Sadly, I wasn't aware it was the same developer of Vampire: The Masquerade. Both are on GOG.

Having asked around the steam forums, apparently Wasteland 2 will have no stealth. Slightly perturbing.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Wasteland 2 will have no stealth. Slightly perturbing.

That's a huge bummer...

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Byshop  Moderator
@uninspiredcup said:

Which patches?

-Byshop

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Oh Dear... Theres a Stat for Stealth ? :(

thats even worse than the Stat for intelligence.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 uninspiredcup

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Oh Dear... Theres a Stat for Stealth ? :(

thats even worse than the Stat for intelligence.

?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Byshop  Moderator

@Byshop said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Which patches?

-Byshop

Again, you don't seem to want help so much as to complain.

-Byshop