Origin and Steam download speeds

This topic is locked from further discussion.

danxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 danxxx
Member since 2005 • 687 Posts

I wonder if origin lies about the download speeds because my internet is 10mb, on origin it sometimes peak at 10mb per sec but on steam i get my normal speed wich is like 1,2mb downloading games.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@danxxx:

Let me just be the first to say, MB and Mb are 2 different things, you cant use them as the same thing, the speeds on origin and steam are correct, if you want more info, just google it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@danxxx:

Let me just be the first to say, MB and Mb are 2 different things, you cant use them as the same thing, the speeds on origin and steam are correct, if you want more info, just google it.

Indeed. And if you feel like Steam's download speeds are slower than Origin, try switching around the download server (there are tons, my fastest one is in CA even though I'm located in WA).

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Origin counts data transfer on the drive when packing/moving files around. It told me I downloaded BF4 at 30mb/s. Fat chance.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@danxxx said:

I wonder if origin lies about the download speeds because my internet is 10mb, on origin it sometimes peak at 10mb per sec but on steam i get my normal speed wich is like 1,2mb downloading games.

Personally, Origin has always maxed out my download speed.

Steam sometimes does, sometimes doesn't.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

The data is compressed, so the speed you see is like a combination of your actual download speed + decompressing speed.

Steam does something similar, when you download a game it will tell you you need like 13GB but if you look at the download it's only 10GB or something like that.