Opinions on Final Fantasy XI

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
I just canceled my account to Vanguard due to the horrendous and frustrating bugs it shipped with. Anyways I've played a great deal of MMOs: EQ, DAoC, SWG, PS, EQII, WoW, CoH, VG and AO. I have yet to try FFXI and would like some opinions from people who have played or are currently playing the game.

Is it hard to begin as newbie due to the game's age? (lack of low levels to group with). Is the community decent and how awkward is the control scheme?
brennan40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 brennan40
Member since 2006 • 223 Posts
I just quit FFXI. possibly one of the greatest online games I came across. I think it may be hard for you to get started though. Others may disagree, but the community is so old that you're expected to be well versed in how things work. Also you're gonna find that making money is hard pre-lvl 30.There are a lot of helpful players outside of leveling though, but you will initially receive some bashing in parties when u first try it. That can be expected but will pass as you gain some experience in the game. Im not sure if there are temp trials around that you can get. But go to www.playonline.com and browse and see if they do. (it's there main website) It is a really great game though, but time consuming. Hope this helps , and i wont mind answering anymore questions.
FoamingPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 FoamingPanda
Member since 2003 • 2567 Posts

Terrible MMO.

I quit several weeks after the servers opened so things might have changed... but, these were the major problems:

1.  Economy -- For the first thirty or so levels, 90% of users symbolized the depths of poverty and depravity.  Even money for the most basic and simple gear was extremely hard to come by.  Most higher forms of money back then were earned by farming low-level mobs that drop rare but good high level equipment.  Sort of the like the GBS in Everquest, if that makes any sense... but MUCH worse.  Japanese players have better ping and would always tap the spawns first.

2. Group Dynamics -- Almost facsit grouping requirements.  Your group MUST consist of : X class, X class, X class... etc, to succeed and level at any efficent rate.  Finding a group could take HOURS!

3. Combat -- The game movies like tar dripping over a vat of molasses.  Even the battle animations are slow... it takes a good 5 seconds to unsheathe a sword, slide into a combat stance, and do a slash.

4. Community -- The language barrier created SO many problems...

5. Bottlenecks/Timesinks -- Far too much camping and timesink related stuff.  The progression quests, the airship quest for example, can create huge bottlenecks in gameplay.

brennan40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 brennan40
Member since 2006 • 223 Posts
i agree with everything you just said. But in a way, that's what kept me in the game. It was pretty hardcore, and i didnt get bored because certain quests took a lot of tries and time to complete.

The game is past its time though. the community has gotten smaller. AFter putting some thought into it, I don;t think its a wise move to start the game, but it's worth a try if you're really interested.
FoamingPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FoamingPanda
Member since 2003 • 2567 Posts

i agree with everything you just said. But in a way, that's what kept me in the game. It was pretty hardcore, and i didnt get bored because certain quests took a lot of tries and time to complete. brennan40

It was hardcore in bad ways, imo.  Your personal effort, or say the effort of a small pick-up group, means so little in that game that it's almost mind boggling.  I don't think we should define "hardcore" as group-related timesinks.  They're just not fun, =(.

Erlkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Erlkoenig
Member since 2006 • 715 Posts

Yep, I liked FFXI. Sure the combat system is slow and obsolete but the style is still the best around. The economy is fully player-controlled and very dynamic, it might be too hardcore for some people, though. The quests and missions are awesome. The subjob system saves you from repeating rep/faction grind if you choose to play another class.

As for the forced grouping thing, which game doesn't have it? At least you can do major things with only 6 people here, unlike in WoW you have to do 40/25-man raids to even experience half the game content.

Blicen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Blicen
Member since 2003 • 1810 Posts

Fantastic game, infact I wish I could play more of it but I can't. The time dedication required to get anywhere in the game was enough to make me quit after a year.

Its worth a shot if you feel like putting the time into it. Other then that, I'd pass.