Oops: Microsoft exec confirms next week's 'Windows 9' debut

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Oops: Microsoft exec confirms next week's 'Windows 9' debut from The Tech Report

Officially, Microsoft hasn't announced the name of the next Windows release—and the coming September 30 event is about "what's next for Windows and the enterprise."

As WP Central reports, however, that didn't stop Alain Crozier, the President of Microsoft France, from spilling the beans. At a press event yesterday, Crozier apparently stated, "Last year we had Windows 8. In the next few minutes, the next few days, we'll be releasing Windows 9."

Microsoft has since partially recanted that announcement, saying the event is merely about "the future of Windows, which actually at this stage does not have a name as such." Given Croizier's job title, though, I'd be surprised if his slip-up was anything more than ill timing.

:D

ps: I guess DX12 isn't that far away as many people thought...

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Well looks like I'm f^cked because MSI didn't include DX12 feature in their GPUs (280X, 290X, GTX770, GTX780)

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Coseniath
@PredatorRules said:

Well looks like I'm f^cked because MSI didn't include DX12 feature in their GPUs (280X, 290X, GTX770, GTX780)

What do you mean? Your GPU is DX12 ready.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Coseniath said:
@PredatorRules said:

11.2 means I can patch and upgrade into DX12?

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

Interesting.

We will probably still go 8.1 on our new builds. As 9 might not be out yet, and it surely won't support/be compatible with all my music software. Once the music software/hardware has support for 9, then I will just upgrade my Windows. Which I still assume is an option with this new release.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@Coseniath said:
@PredatorRules said:

*getting my hopes high* please reply yes Coseniath!

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

DX 12 isn't coming till end of next year based on rumors.

Cards pre Maxwell will support DX12 but not fully. Maxwell will support DX 12 100%.

Here is an old article on MS talking about DX12 and coming games that support it.

"Microsoft said to expect the first DX12 games to be made available around “holiday 2015″, when “50% of all new PC games will be DX12 compatible."

http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/20/directx-12-first-dx12-games-to-hit-the-market-around-holiday-2015-says-microsoft/

Last I heard they were still working on the CPU side of DX12.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Coseniath

@i_return said:

@PredatorRules said:

@Coseniath said:
@PredatorRules said:

All AMD Graphics CoreNext GPUs to Support DirectX 12: Company

AMD production manager Devon Nekechuk, speaking at the company's 30 Years of Graphics event, disclosed that all AMD GPUs based on the Graphics CoreNext architecture will support DirectX 12, Microsoft's next generation multimedia API. The company is already up-to-date on the DirectX feature-level support, with support for DirectX 11.2.

Well that means that your hardware is DX12 ready (and all AMD 7xxx or Rx xxx), you just need to upgrade to Windows 9 unless Microsoft release it for Win7, Win8, Win8.1 (I highly doubt that cause its gonna cut the sales of Win9 for sure)...

Also for Nvidia:

NVIDIA will support the DX12 API on all the DX11-class GPUs it has shipped; these belong to the Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell architectural families.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

@Coseniath said:

@i_return said:

AMD production manager Devon Nekechuk, speaking at the company's 30 Years of Graphics event, disclosed that all AMD GPUs based on the Graphics CoreNext architecture will support DirectX 12, Microsoft's next generation multimedia API. The company is already up-to-date on the DirectX feature-level support, with support for DirectX 11.2.

Well that means that your hardware is DX12 ready (and all AMD 7xxx or Rx xxx), you just need to upgrade to Windows 9 unless Microsoft release it for Win7, Win8, Win8.1 (I highly doubt that cause its gonna cut the sales of Win9 for sure)...

Phew, that's a relief. I was sulking when I heard that 970 was available at around $300 and it matches the performance of R9 290 when I just a few weeks ago, bought an MSI R9 280x for $350.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

Damn I hate microsoft and their dickish upgrade policy. **** paying for this OS, I think I'll just skip giving them money.

SoftwareGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SoftwareGeek
Member since 2014 • 573 Posts

@doozie78 said:

Damn I hate microsoft and their dickish upgrade policy. **** paying for this OS, I think I'll just skip giving them money.

yeah, they should give it to you for free because you're so cool. "Hey! Theres doozie78! Mannn....you're so cool. We'll just slave away at a new OS and give the damn thing to you for free because you're so cool."

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Do we even know what DX12 actually is at this point?

Because it would seem AMD isn't 100% sure yet. http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r9#

Footnotes:

11. Based on our review of the Microsoft DirectX(r) 12 specification dated July 23, 2014, we are confident that devices based on our GCN architecture will be able to support DirectX(r) 12 graphics when available. We recommend that you check AMD.com prior to purchase to confirm that a particular device will support DirectX(r) 12 graphics. Note however, any changes to the DirectX(r) 12 specification after this date could impact or completely eliminate this ability – and AMD disclaims all liability resulting therefrom.

12. Based on preliminary DirectX 12 specifications as of July, 2014, AMD’s GCN-based products are expected to support DirectX 12 upon its release. The DirectX 12 specification and support for it are subject to change without notice.

While Nvidia doesn't even list DirectX as one of the featured supported technologies, unlike the rest of their cards. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980

Although in the specs section you can see it says Microsoft DirectX 12 API.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Don't want to upgrade? Don't. DX12 will be supported on Windows 7 and up.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

@softwaregeek said:

@doozie78 said:

yeah, they should give it to you for free because you're so cool. "Hey! Theres doozie78! Mannn....you're so cool. We'll just slave away at a new OS and give the damn thing to you for free because you're so cool."

agreed.

SoftwareGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SoftwareGeek
Member since 2014 • 573 Posts

@doozie78:

** chuckle **

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

@softwaregeek: I see what he is saying though. They shouldn't have released windows 8 until they had something better then 7. Windows 9 is going right back to windows 7 design because it was better.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Coseniath
@glez13 said:

Do we even know what DX12 actually is at this point?

Because it would seem AMD isn't 100% sure yet. http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r9#

Footnotes:

11. Based on our review of the Microsoft DirectX(r) 12 specification dated July 23, 2014, we are confident that devices based on our GCN architecture will be able to support DirectX(r) 12 graphics when available. We recommend that you check AMD.com prior to purchase to confirm that a particular device will support DirectX(r) 12 graphics. Note however, any changes to the DirectX(r) 12 specification after this date could impact or completely eliminate this ability – and AMD disclaims all liability resulting therefrom.

12. Based on preliminary DirectX 12 specifications as of July, 2014, AMD’s GCN-based products are expected to support DirectX 12 upon its release. The DirectX 12 specification and support for it are subject to change without notice.

While Nvidia doesn't even list DirectX as one of the featured supported technologies, unlike the rest of their cards. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980

Although in the specs section you can see it says Microsoft DirectX 12 API.

@Coseniath said:

Also for Nvidia:

NVIDIA will support the DX12 API on all the DX11-class GPUs it has shipped; these belong to the Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell architectural families.

edit: @KHAndAnime, that would be fantastic. I really don't want to leave windows 7...

But because we are talking about Microsoft and this will be something that will hurt the sales of Windows 9, I would really love to see this happen to believe it... :P

ps: Hell even if I would install it I wouldn't believe it xD.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 glez13

@Coseniath: Yes. But that is based on what MS has made public regarding DX12 and it's CPU efficiency updates. It's clear that the DX12 specification isn't yet finalized, and there is something MS still hasn't made public and probably AMD is out of the picture, since AMD are only "confident" about it and already have a footnote to probably avoid legal actions against them if shit hits the fan and Nvidia isn't really advertising the 980/970 as the first fully DX12 cards, you have to dig the spec sheet to find something mentioning it.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Coseniath

@glez13: True. But this is their last official statements about DX12.

Also you didn't search well about GTX980.

And GTX970.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Yea, my GTX 980 advertises DX12 right on the front of the box.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By glez13

@Coseniath: Are you even reading what I'm posting?

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Coseniath

@KHAndAnime: Your GTX980? :P

Change your sig!!! :D

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Coseniath
@glez13 said:
@Coseniath: Are you even reading what I'm posting?

Sorry I am try to edit my post in order to post even more things, but it seems my Firefox have a little problem with that.

I can't edit atm lol....

As @KHAndAnime said, its written on all boxes. not somewhere hidden but in the front, like DX11 cards when DX11 was new.

Also I understand why they don't have it on the features, cause not even GTX480 (first Nvidia DX11 GPU) had in features the DX11. It only had about Tessellation cause Nvidia had superrior tesselation performance than AMD.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By glez13

@Coseniath: Searching for box pictures, and it must be a manufacturer thing, because not everyone has it. Also found this on AMD's side and not every manufacturer mentions it either.

But it seems that the Nvidia one seems more credible because it's the same styling and order of features on the boxes that have them, or AMD are just not as organized like Nvidia with their partners. :P

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#25  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

From what i've read around various places, Directx 12 will work in windows 7 also, so this will stick unless microsoft decides to change its mind and screw everyone. Anyone running the proven, crisp Windows 7 is good to go for dx12.

I'm all for windows 9 if it'll look beautiful and crisp like Windows 7 and have full compatibility with all my old games and software, but i'm not holding my breath here cause i used windows 8 briefly and was really let down with its ugly appearance and failure to run some of my old games and apps properly or at all.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Coseniath:

Someone should make you GS tag that reads "I'm the news guy"

Your awesome with the news :D

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Coseniath
@GTR12 said:

@Coseniath:

Someone should make you GS tag that reads "I'm the news guy"

Your awesome with the news :D

Haha, thanks.

I wanted to post something else yesterday about HDDs new failure statistics too and about the first 4K60hz Gsync Monitor but I thought I overdid it with news :P

Latest Backblaze reliability update shows rising failure rates for some hard drives

Acer XB280HK 28-in 4K G-Sync Monitor Review

:D

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

I just got Win 8.1 like 2 months ago now there going back to the windows 7 interface because of all of crying. hour one did not like it, I was lost. Hour tow, got the hang of it. now I like I it works fine why the masses hates change and get so frustrated with when it happens