Oblivion graphics mods.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

What are the best combo of graphics mods to use with oblivion?

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

Here's a good place to start:

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6148788/index.html

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

mattuk69
Nothing personal or anything but: Why do people STILL insist on Oblivion? It's one of the worst RPGs I have ever played...
mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts
[QUOTE="mattuk69"]

FelipeInside
Nothing personal or anything but: Why do people STILL insist on Oblivion? It's one of the worst RPGs I have ever played...

Because peoples opinions dont revolve around you?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="mattuk69"]

mattuk69

I said it WASN'T personal as you might have read. I am merely asking why so many people like Oblivion...
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="mattuk69"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Nothing personal or anything but: Why do people STILL insist on Oblivion? It's one of the worst RPGs I have ever played...

I said it WASN'T personal as you might have read. I am merely asking why so many people like Oblivion...

Large explorable environment, fun side quest and mod quests (main quest was lacking), Huge community of modders dedicated to creating massive content for the game, As fun as hack and slash can get, interesting world. In my lifetime I've probably put 200+ hours into the game, I enjoy playing it, nothing wrong with that.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

[QUOTE="mattuk69"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Nothing personal or anything but: Why do people STILL insist on Oblivion? It's one of the worst RPGs I have ever played...FelipeInside

Well, personally, I can't stand RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and the like... I do understand that they have great stories and they are great games in general, but I just can't get into the gameplay... Trust me, I've tried a bunch of times.

As for Oblivion, it's quick and easy to pick up cause it's not super in-depth complicated like BG/IwD.

Well there you go, that's my opinion on why I like Oblivion more than other kinds of RPGs.

On topic: You can also visit http://www.tesnexus.com/ and it's full of other mods

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside
Gotcha guys. I guess to me the whole "monsters level as you do" and all the dungeons looking EXACTLY the same put me off....
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Gotcha guys. I guess to me the whole "monsters level as you do" and all the dungeons looking EXACTLY the same put me off....

Exactly why I installed mods from the community. Several that make the game much more difficult, making you more likely to be killed and less likely to kill your opponent without some strategy involved. Also mods that improve character models and textures to make creatures and characters seem more real and unique. I've been using those so long that I almost forgot what the stock game is actually like.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Gotcha guys. I guess to me the whole "monsters level as you do" and all the dungeons looking EXACTLY the same put me off....

Exactly why I installed mods from the community. Several that make the game much more difficult, making you more likely to be killed and less likely to kill your opponent without some strategy involved. Also mods that improve character models and textures to make creatures and characters seem more real and unique. I've been using those so long that I almost forgot what the stock game is actually like.

Very true....but that's what I meant: Vanilla Oblivion...out of the box...as the devs created it....it not a good RPG...
Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts

[QUOTE="mattuk69"]

FelipeInside

Oblivion is the greatest RPG ever made. It's better than every other RPG out there.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Animatronic64

Oblivion is the greatest RPG ever made. It's better than every other RPG out there.

Its an action adventure with RPG elements since the effect advancement has on a character is minimal.

Regardless I can understand the hate for it not modded but after applying about 30ish mods it really becomes an amazing game. The true question is why has anyone with Oblivion installed not tried the mod Nehrim.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside

Animatronic64

Was that sarcasm....? lol.....
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="Animatronic64"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Nothing personal or anything but: Why do people STILL insist on Oblivion? It's one of the worst RPGs I have ever played...Whiteblade999

Its an action adventure with RPG elements since the effect advancement has on a character is minimal.

Regardless I can understand the hate for it not modded but after applying about 30ish mods it really becomes an amazing game. The true question is why has anyone with Oblivion installed not tried the mod Nehrim.

Yes, I have never played it with mods.... I was referring to Vanilla Oblivion....
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

[QUOTE="Animatronic64"] Oblivion is the greatest RPG ever made. It's better than every other RPG out there.

FelipeInside

Yes, I have never played it with mods.... I was referring to Vanilla Oblivion....

Yeah vanilla Oblivion is terrible, I uninstalled it in disgust and only put it back on after a friend recommended some mods to try.

Gamerz1569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gamerz1569
Member since 2008 • 2087 Posts

Check out www.tesnexus.com or www.moddb.com

Nothing personal or anything but: Why do people STILL insist on Oblivion? It's one of the worst RPGs I have ever played...FelipeInside

Its side quests are admittedly fun but personally I love playing around with mods. Since its been nearly 5 years since its release there's quiite a lot of great mods.

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts

Check out this site. There's a TON of reading, but by the end of it, you'll know exactly which graphics mods you'll want to install.

Regarding the game itself, I've played with many of the gameplay mods and overhauls out there, and as great as many of them are, I've actually come back around to just enjoying vanilla Oblivion (mostly - see below). Sure, it's far from perfect, and it is certainly more action game than RPG, but that's exactly what I liked about Daggerfall too. I love the amount of freedom they give you in playing your character by not forcing you into a rigidly defined archetype Are you a warrior who wants to cast a powerful spell? Go ahead and start practicing. A mage with a hankering to snipe enemies? Grab a bow, Gandalf. The story sucks, the NPCs are mostly uninteresting, and some of the mechanics are downright awful, but the core gameplay is so much fun for me that none of that matters.

There are only two actual gameplay mods I play with now:

• Alternative Start By Ship
    This is just my personal preference to save time, as I am always creating new characters.
  • 100% Harvest Chance
    Again, just to save time. Makes it less of a chore to max Alchemy.

The rest of the mods I use are for the graphics, and actually, I also scaled back a fair bit on those as well. I was running with QTP3, hi-res LOD enhancements, a bunch of ultra-high-quality item models and so on and so forth, but I came to prefer faster load times to all the eye candy. Now I'm just running with a few relatively minor tweak mods:

• DarNified UI
    Because the default one sucks, let's face it.
  • Illumination Within
    Makes the cities much more pleasant to navigate at night. A must-have mod in my opinion.
  • Far View
    Does exactly what it sounds like. Another must-have.
  • Beaming Sunglare
    It's basically a lens flare. Looks nice. Ya can't go wrong.
  • Enhanced Water
    Self-explanatory. Easier to see underwater. Good stuff.
  • Short Grass V3
    The default grass is okay, but this just makes it easier to find items.

I also use a few .ini tweaks to increase grass and tree draw distance. But as you can see, even my graphic tweaks are mainly just for convenience. I guess I kind of ran this post into somewhat of a ramble, but the bottom line is that I think the vanilla game is just gravy, if not particularly great, and even though I can understand the majority of the criticisms, I also think it just might not be a game for everyone. As you can clearly see, however, I personally still love the hell out of it. :)

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

mattuk69

Check this guide post from NeoGAF:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405321

D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

I dont know about Oblivion but im sure some of you may be interested in THIS

I may make it its own thread It looks amazing. It may convince me to play through it again.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
Is there any way to get Qarls texture pack working without having to use OBMM?
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Is there any way to get Qarls texture pack working without having to use OBMM?x-2tha-z
Yep, can't remember how but i did that a while back. Them most important thing is editing the .ini, set the grass density and view distance much higher (the sliders don't go high enough) and it will instantly look much better.
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

I may make it its own thread It looks amazing. It may convince me to play through it again.

D1zzyCriminal

:o

That looks incredible. Looking at the recommended specs, I have a feeling my E7300 & 9800GTX+ would struggle though sadly.

D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

[QUOTE="D1zzyCriminal"]

broken_bass_bin

:o

That looks incredible. Looking at the recommended specs, I have a feeling my E7300 & 9800GTX+ would struggle though sadly.

The 9800+ is better than the recomended 5670 1Gb (My card BTW) you should be fine with it. I can max out the STALKER Complete Mod 2009on my system without AA so this should run about the same.