not getting very stable cpu core speed

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

when i start up my pc cpuz says the core speed is 3.8ghz but after a few minutes it drops to 1.6ghz. any idea whats going on?

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
thats a power saving feature that all modern CPU's have. It means when your cpu is idling (when for instance browsing the internet ) your cpu will operate at a lower frequency to save power. You can turn it off in the motherboard bios but there is no reason to do it. As long as you start a program/game that needs cpu power your cpu clock will go back to 3,8ghz ( even something as simple as google earth will do it )
andyroo08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 andyroo08
Member since 2004 • 2082 Posts

The CPU is throttling down to save power, it can be disabled in the bios but it's best to leave it. The CPU will run at full speed when it needs to ie. gaming

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheShadowLord07

thats a power saving feature that all modern CPU's have. It means when your cpu is idling (when for instance browsing the internet ) your cpu will operate at a lower frequency to save power. You can turn it off in the motherboard bios but there is no reason to do it. As long as you start a program/game that needs cpu power your cpu clock will go back to 3,8ghz ( even something as simple as google earth will do it )adamosmaki
well im using a chrome now and i was playing a game and it still didnt look like it went back to 3.8ghz

edit: also the core voltage is keeping going up and down like the core speed. is that fine as well?

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 adamosmaki

[QUOTE="adamosmaki"]thats a power saving feature that all modern CPU's have. It means when your cpu is idling (when for instance browsing the internet ) your cpu will operate at a lower frequency to save power. You can turn it off in the motherboard bios but there is no reason to do it. As long as you start a program/game that needs cpu power your cpu clock will go back to 3,8ghz ( even something as simple as google earth will do it )TheShadowLord07

well im using a chrome now and i was playing a game and it still didnt look like it went back to 3.8ghz

edit: also the core voltage is keeping going up and down like the core speed. is that fine as well?

yes. also when browsing your cpu (especially if its a decent cpu like an i3/i5 or a phenomII ) is not supposed to run at full speed since browsing is a very light task on all modern Cpu's
nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts
you know that when you alt&tab out of a game your cores jump back to lower speeds right? if you really want to know either get a program that benchmarks your speeds (writing it down in some file) or a dual monitor
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheShadowLord07

you know that when you alt&tab out of a game your cores jump back to lower speeds right? if you really want to know either get a program that benchmarks your speeds (writing it down in some file) or a dual monitornilzg
i have msi afterburner but for some reason i cant see all of the options

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="nilzg"]you know that when you alt&tab out of a game your cores jump back to lower speeds right? if you really want to know either get a program that benchmarks your speeds (writing it down in some file) or a dual monitorTheShadowLord07

MSI Afterburner doesn't work on cpus.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 adamosmaki

[QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]

[QUOTE="nilzg"]you know that when you alt&tab out of a game your cores jump back to lower speeds right? if you really want to know either get a program that benchmarks your speeds (writing it down in some file) or a dual monitormitu123

MSI Afterburner doesn't work on cpus.

it works if you download hardware info 64. Just install hardware info select the values you want to monitor and then click configure and select the values you are monitoring and clock on the show on Riva tuner checkbox
stevenjoywell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 stevenjoywell
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
yeah, i think so, if you really want to know either get a program that benchmarks your speeds (writing it down in some file) or a dual monitor
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
thats a power saving feature that all modern CPU's have. It means when your cpu is idling (when for instance browsing the internet ) your cpu will operate at a lower frequency to save power. You can turn it off in the motherboard bios but there is no reason to do it. As long as you start a program/game that needs cpu power your cpu clock will go back to 3,8ghz ( even something as simple as google earth will do it )adamosmaki
Yep. My fx6100 was sorta doing the same thing, but stopped once I disabled the energy saving option. I also disabled CPB or turbo core, and now mine stays @ 3.8ghz.
Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

What exact BIOS setting enables that feature (lower clocks when idling)? I've pretty much disabled anything CPU related to achieve my current overclock but it seems like my CPU's clock speed is constant, even when idling.