Not a lot of hype for Titanfall around here....why?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I think it's one of the best looking titles coming out. Why is it getting no love around here?

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

I see hype as a bad thing. It tends to exaggerate a game's merits. I'm a "wait and see" type of gamer.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Just googled it and it looks like FPS #8568746508765987698

What's to get excited about ? The pretty graphics ?

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I am excited for the game. I think it looks pretty sweet, but nothing original by any count.

I want to see how this story works out inside the multiplayer. I am hoping games are objective based like Quake Wars.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BSC14

@bussinrounds said:

I could care less about that.

doesn't look like just another FPS to me but to each his own.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

Well I signed up for the beta, so we'll see how that goes. Other than that I didn't really try to get that excited over the game.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BSC14

@bussinrounds said:

No wait, I take that back, you're wrong. It's not another generic fps. It's got way to many things going for it to say it's just another FPS. Clearly it's a high quality game and mixes mech combat in it as well. No....not just another fps.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

I was actually going to get BF4 premium (3 copies...it's rough having a family!) but then I thought I'll wait to see if Titanfall is fun.

BF4 is just another year or two of playing BF3...it's fun, but it's kind of stale by now for me. Don't get me wrong...It's still fun. I just think for the price of a new game, maybe I can get a new experience (slam on paying for "premium" which is just a few maps. The newest pack is just old BF3 maps! Argh!)

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

They're using bots instead of more players.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BSC14

@kraken2109 said:

Yeah I thought that was kind of strange.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

@Falconoffury said:

I see hype as a bad thing. It tends to exaggerate a game's merits. I'm a "wait and see" type of gamer.

I have to agree. Games never live up to the hype they're given.

So far the press is loving it. I'm waiting to see how the beta gameplay videos look.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

its a mech/fps arena killing game. nothing new about this i dont even know why people thought this was going to be big. Quake 3 had much faster FPS killing then this game will ever have.

on top of all this, EA is involved here and they will **** you any chance they get so everyone is weary.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I like the mechs but so far it seems like you mainly shoot just mindless AI meant to be there for point collection. I signed up for the beta so I'll hold my judgment till then but one thing I wanted to get out of next gen games was better AI and this doesn't seem to have it.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BSC14

@nicecall said:

its a mech/fps arena killing game. nothing new about this i dont even know why people thought this was going to be big. Quake 3 had much faster FPS killing then this game will ever have.

on top of all this, EA is involved here and they will **** you any chance they get so everyone is weary.

Really? What game is like Titanfall? I want to play it. I know I have not seen anything out there like it based off of the videos.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

Do you complain about fighting ai minions in a MOBA game?

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

It's looks dated and generic in my opinion.

I'll admit to being biased however, since I detest MP shooters.

Sadly, that pretty much makes me detest AAA gaming these days :p

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I still can't believe they're using a modded source engine for a 21st century AAA title.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BSC14

@acanofcoke said:

I still can't believe they're using a modded source engine for a 21st century AAA title.

Probably because of the crapbox one being the weak redhead step child that it is.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Let MS hype it as a system seller, the game doesnt look like anything special and I see no reason to be excited for it.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By GeryGo
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@BSC14 said:

I think it's one of the best looking titles coming out. Why is it getting no love around here?

Because they've announced it's going to be just like Rivals - a 6 vs. 6 with AI around each player.

It might be just fine but people were looking for another CoD/BF intense fight like 8 vs8 or 16 vs. 16

EDIT: there's a stream going on YouTube/IGN http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1fQkSDca0A that's exactly what I was talking about brain dead AI so you basically get kills for doing almost nothing.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#23 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

I try not to hype any games these days. I feel that does me no favors. Plus the AI bots worry me

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

@kraken2109 said:

Exactly this, I honestly became more interested in this game because of the 6 v 6 mixed in with a bot team.... They seem to be trying something different then the majority of the fps genre which reeks of rehashed content, single and multiplayer.. The idea that this is being compared to a moba is a positive.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

It seems like it's going to be entertaining for a week then start to grow stale as I find most online-only FPS' do. I'm not a big fan of online-only shooters, seems like a lazy way to make a game, what with no story or singleplayer, I don't want this becoming the norm.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#26 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts
@BSC14 said:

Prepare for itemization of why it will be awful:

It is running Source (one of, if not THE best optimized engines ever made), but the devs don't know how to code/program for it so they are getting big FPS drops. It is using Source, but instead of Steamworks amazing MP integration it is using Origin's godawful MP system and PunkBuster anticheat. The low player count (12) plus mostly bots (36) means the ratio of human players to bots is 1:3 which is idiotic (FPS-MOBA hybrid sounds like the worst idea for FPS in history). No dedicated servers, mods, or ruleset changes allowed, so you can't change the player counts or have custom maps or modes. At $60 it is overprice for an MP only game especially since being EA it is almost guaranteed they will charge you for map packs every 2 weeks. Low number of maps and modes available at launch. Based on what I am hearing from people in the beta already it is basically going to release in early-beta state so not only is it overpriced you are paying to bug test the game for them.

SO in closing it is going to be a mess at launch and it doesn't look appealing regardless of what condition it launches in. I can't wait until it crashes and burns.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962

@BSC14 said:

@acanofcoke said:

Probably because of the crapbox one being the weak redhead step child that it is.

Please keep talk like that in System Wars

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BSC14

@jimmy_russell said:

@acanofcoke said:

@BSC14 said:

@acanofcoke said:

No, he's making a perfectly valid correlation.

Well I did call it crapbox but still it probably is because of the lack of power from the xbox one. I mean the thing does not even run most games in 1080 and it's a brand new console....maybe they were looking for a way to get it to run well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-579f651eab962

@BSC14 said:

@jimmy_russell said:

@acanofcoke said:

@BSC14 said:

@acanofcoke said:

No, he's making a perfectly valid correlation.

Well I did call it crapbox but still it probably is because of the lack of power from the xbox one. I mean the thing does not even run most games in 1080 and it's a brand new console....maybe they were looking for a way to get it to run well.

Yes, but You've started slagging off the Xbox in a PC forum thread about Titanfall. It's not needed. Keep it on topic.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Well you won't get much hype on these forums cause it's published by EA, and most people here think EA and Origin are the devil.

Personally it looks like fun.... Call of Duty meshed with DOTA and Mechwarrior. I especially like how you can HACK the enemy bots so they fight for you.

Will I buy it? Maybe, probably. I haven't preordered like the rest of my friends but will wait for reviews to come out. I will like the game but I'm waiting to see how the servers go, I don't want to go through another BF4 launch.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#32 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@bussinrounds said:

That's the thing - to me this game is the epitome of "just another FPS". The only original thing it does (melding SP bots with MP) sounds like a really bad, dumb idea to me. Everything else is unoriginal and is copied from other FPS games unfortunately. When I watch the gameplay videos floating around, the game just looks lazily slapped together - as if they're intending to make this the first game in a series of dozens and they won't care to put more effort into the game until the next iteration of Titanfall. The graphics...the scale of the maps...the appearance of the gunplay....it's all such a turn off. Frankly, this game looks 5 years too late. Maybe 5 years ago...it would have been impressive. Now it looks like they're trying to sell us a Dinosaur in the form of a game.

I'm just tired of these arcade FPS shooters, really. I need more to do than just shoot people. I like the games that are going in the direction of melding RPG and FPS elements a lot more, frankly. I like to explore and play with tons of people...not just 5 random team mates.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

I think it looks like a lot of the things that are wrong with the gaming industry.

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RevanBITW
Member since 2013 • 739 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@BSC14 said:

@bussinrounds said:

That's the thing - to me this game is the epitome of "just another FPS". The only original thing it does (melding SP bots with MP) sounds like a really bad, dumb idea to me. Everything else is unoriginal and is copied from other FPS games unfortunately. When I watch the gameplay videos floating around, the game just looks lazily slapped together - as if they're intending to make this the first game in a series of dozens and they won't care to put more effort into the game until the next iteration of Titanfall.

You guys always talks about FPS games looking all the same, alright we get it, you don't like FPS games. You're really good at bashing it, and yet you never come up with ideas to make it ''fresh''. It's the most empty kind of criticism.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@RevanBITW said:

You guys always talks about FPS games looking all the same, alright we get it, you don't like FPS games. You're really good at bashing it, and yet you never come up with ideas to make it ''fresh''. It's the most empty kind of criticism.

Naw, I absolutely love FPS games. They're my favorite genre. I consider Half-Life and Half-Life 2 to be the best games ever made. What are some of the fresher FPS games in my opinion? Go play Rust, Planetside 2, Tribes, DayZ, ArmA 3, STALKER - you know, games that go beyond shooting people in repetitive scenarios. Even F2P Tribes, a remake of an old-ass PC FPS, feels very nice and fresh because we haven't had any Tribes-esque games over the last decade.

Call of Duty games on the other hand, we have had a dozen of them as well as dozens of games attempting to copy CoD in the last decade. Even anything slightly resembling CoD puts me to sleep now. Obviously I haven't played Titanfall so I can't say the game is going to be identical or extremely similar to Call of Duty. But from the gameplay videos, I'm still getting a CoD vibe despite the game supposedly not trying to be a spiritual CoD successor. Anything slightly sporting a CoD vibe can shove it at this point. Feel free to disagree but it's just what it looks to me.

I liked Call of Duty back in the day. I loved the first and second. Third was okay. 4th was great. But ever since the 4th one, it feels like people have been making the exact same game or they're trying to copy as many elements as humanly possible from that game. I don't know why people like yourself get super excited over games that looks like games we've already played, in a different skin. I'm bored of games I already played. I'm also bored of games that are exactly like the games I already played. Give me new ones...ones that aren't spiritual clones of other games.

Give me an open world Tribes RPG-FPS.

Give me SWAT 5.

Please, developers, give me something that hasn't been beaten to death...please...

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RevanBITW
Member since 2013 • 739 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@RevanBITW said:

Naw, I absolutely love FPS games. They're my favorite genre. I consider Half-Life and Half-Life 2 to be the best games ever made. What are some of the fresher FPS games in my opinion? Go play Rust, Planetside 2, Tribes, DayZ, ArmA 3, STALKER - you know, games that go beyond shooting people in repetitive scenarios. Even F2P Tribes, a remake of an old-ass PC FPS, feels very nice and fresh because we haven't had any Tribes-esque games over the last decade.

Call of Duty games on the other hand, we have had a dozen of them as well as dozens of games attempting to copy CoD in the last decade. Even anything slightly resembling CoD puts me to sleep now. Obviously I haven't played Titanfall so I can't say the game is going to be identical or extremely similar to Call of Duty. But from the gameplay videos, I'm still getting a CoD vibe despite the game supposedly not trying to be a spiritual CoD successor. Anything slightly sporting a CoD vibe can shove it at this point. Feel free to disagree but it's just what it looks to me.

I liked Call of Duty back in the day. I loved the first and second. Third was okay. 4th was great. But ever since the 4th one, it feels like people have been making the exact same game or they're trying to copy as many elements as humanly possible from that game. I don't know why people like yourself get super excited over games that looks like games we've already played, in a different skin. I'm bored of games I already played. I'm also bored of games that are exactly like the games I already played. Give me new ones...ones that aren't spiritual clones of other games.

Give me SWAT 5.

Please, developers, give me something that hasn't been beaten to death...please...

The Titans, the highly maneuverable environment and the creeps mechanic borrowed from MOBAs makes it way different than CoD. Stop with that comparison, holy shit.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BSC14

@RevanBITW said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@RevanBITW said:

Give me SWAT 5.

The Titans, the highly maneuverable environment and the creeps mechanic borrowed from MOBAs makes it way different than CoD. Stop with that comparison, holy shit.

I have t agree. It's like Tribes on steroids with Mechs and a lot of combat options.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@acanofcoke said:

I haven't looked at titanfall, but if it's using the same engine as the cod games, you mean Quake 3.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BSC14

You guys who think it's a generic cod type game should watch this video.

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/titanfall-video-preview-more-than-just-call-of-dut/2300-6417164/

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

For me, it's not whether it's a good-looking game or not. I stick with SP player games nowadays.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

@kraken2109 said:

I think it would be better if they were real players because bots in fps never work properly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-579f651eab962

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@acanofcoke said:

I haven't looked at titanfall, but if it's using the same engine as the cod games, you mean Quake 3.

No, that's the unreal engine. Source is Portal 1/2, HalfLife 1/2, L4D 1/2, very Valve centric

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@bussinrounds said:

No wait, I take that back, you're wrong. It's not another generic fps. It's got way to many things going for it to say it's just another FPS. Clearly it's a high quality game and mixes mech combat in it as well. No....not just another fps.

There is absolutely no way to be sure of that until you've played it.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@acanofcoke said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@acanofcoke said:

No, that's the unreal engine. Source is Portal 1/2, HalfLife 1/2, L4D 1/2, very Valve centric

Titanfall I looked up is source, but the COD games are based on Q3.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@kraken2109 said:

I think it would be better if they were real players because bots in fps never work properly.

You're missing the point, the ai in Titan Fall is just cannon fodder. It's not suppose to match another players skill. They are there to make the battlefield more hectic without actually disrupting the balance of the game.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47  Edited By Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

I'm guessing that is because most of the gamespot community are keen followers of the Book of Tao and later Buddha's teachings which equate hype with "him who thou art do*chey." They would've included her in there too but Tao and Buddha emerged in very sexist times.

Annnnnd a lotus for you. /bows head.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nutcrackr

@JangoWuzHere said:

You're missing the point, the ai in Titan Fall is just cannon fodder. It's not suppose to match another players skill. They are there to make the battlefield more hectic without actually disrupting the balance of the game.

But it's really disorientating when you come across bots. I noticed one bot was in the same position for like 30 seconds, come up on him and he's in a scripted teammate-drag animation waiting to be killed. Then you find 3 bots grouped up in one corner of the room and they can't manage to turn in your direction before you kill them all. Although bots may make human kills more rewarding, they are actually quite disappointing in comparison. "Oh, I just killed a bot"

Obviously bots are there to be hectic and even narrate the battle "enemy pilot spotted" etc. But to me that's like imposing a single player scripted elements into a mp match where it doesn't belong. The main reason why more humans wouldn't work with the current setup is because titans drop every 2 mins or less. 12 v 12 with no bots would probably work great with the current map size, but 24 titans at the 2 minute point would get stupid. 6v6 titans after 2 mins is already absurd imo.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#49  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59088 Posts

For me, I just don't trust the gaming media. This game is very important for Microsoft and the xboxone platform as a whole. When you look at it objectively, what you have is (EA/Microsoft), company's that has been shown to pay people off for positive opinions and attempt to clamp negative ones. And Respawn, creators of Call of Duty, one of the biggest money spinners in the industry. With Call Of Duty loosing it effect slowly but surely, many opportunists are looking to capitalize with another money spinner. The logical course of action for scum, would be to hire the people who made the money spinner and hype the next product as the second coming. How would you get the word out? The media, obviously

I see the media hyping it, not the average joe gamer. .

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nutcrackr

@uninspiredcup said:

I see the media hyping it, not the average joe gamer. .

The media hypes almost every game these days. Just the process of marketing. You sell more by putting 10 million more innto advertising than 10 million more in development.