Noobie case fans question..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GTA_MGS_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GTA_MGS_1
Member since 2008 • 524 Posts

Hi peeps noobie question alert..

does running a case fan off mobo affect anything in the long run? heard mixed results.. its only a 120mm the other fans are connected to psu, the wiring is too awkward though lol..

also does running multiple big case fans on one sata cable matter also? thanks

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@GTA_MGS_1 said:

does running a case fan off mobo affect anything in the long run? heard mixed results.. its only a 120mm the other fans are connected to psu, the wiring is too awkward though lol..

You really shouldn't run it off the motherboard unless it's an AIO CPU cooler. I personally would want as little as possible being run off the motherboard only because I seem to have the worst luck when it comes to peripherals frying(on-board audio always is the first thing to die on a mobo for me). Plus, if it runs off the PSU it won't put any wear and tear on the motherboard, so if you do decide to get an all-in-one CPU cooler you'd be good to go. Also, the motherboard will tell the fan to run at a certain speed. So connecting it to the PSU will make it run at full speed all of the time.

I'm not an electrical engineer but I would assume that you don't want to daisy chain too many fans off of one power line.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@airshocker said:

@GTA_MGS_1 said:

You really shouldn't run it off the motherboard unless it's an AIO CPU cooler. I personally would want as little as possible being run off the motherboard only because I seem to have the worst luck when it comes to peripherals frying(on-board audio always is the first thing to die on a mobo for me). Plus, if it runs off the PSU it won't put any wear and tear on the motherboard, so if you do decide to get an all-in-one CPU cooler you'd be good to go. Also, the motherboard will tell the fan to run at a certain speed. So connecting it to the PSU will make it run at full speed all of the time.

I'm not an electrical engineer but I would assume that you don't want to daisy chain too many fans off of one power line.

You can run fans off the motherboard without issue unless you plan on running high rpm based fans that need more juice. You cant have wear and tear on mobo with normal fans. Motherboards control the fans by limiting the power and you can run them with full power if you disable or change the fan profiles. You can run multiple fans off of one 4 pin molex as long as the usage stays below 5A