No GS video review for Total War Rome 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

The most anticipated RTS game of the year but GS didn't bother to do a video review for it I'm quite surprised I would have thought a game like this would get a video review by someone well known.

Bieberfan147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Bieberfan147
Member since 2012 • 106 Posts
i know right, i don't want to read stuff
SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#3 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Who cares, I only read reviews from time to time anyway

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Eh, it isnt like GS reviews are worth taking seriously anyway. Their journalistic credibility has been in the gutter for quite some time now. The only thing I ever do is compare user scores to their score to see whether or not there is a big disparity. A video review would have been good for seeing some gameplay but lol...nothing a little search on youtube couldnt fix.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

The most anticipated RTS game of the year but GS didn't bother to do a video review for it.

TheFadeForever

I'm pretty sure Gamespot did a video review for Heart of the Swarm.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#6 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
So what? What are they going to show gameplay that has pretty much been seen before and all the bugs and glitches for all the people to lazy to read?
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Thats GS for you.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Eh, it isnt like GS reviews are worth taking seriously anyway. Their journalistic credibility has been in the gutter for quite some time now. The only thing I ever do is compare user scores to their score to see whether or not there is a big disparity. A video review would have been good for seeing some gameplay but lol...nothing a little search on youtube couldnt fix. Gamesterpheonix
And your credibility lies where? I, like some others don't really "take to heart" critic reviews and we decide on our own by researching through gameplay videos and facts about the game, as well as trusted friends' opinions and reviews. But, it really isn't fair, nor is it right to say that ALL (which you simply generalized) Gamespot reviewers are bad at what they do. If you think seriously that the world is that jaded, you are incredibly wrong and delusional.
Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#9 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

I haven't taken much on the main site seriously since Gerstmanngate. 

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#11 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Cobra_nVidia
You realise that the community got that totally wrong and that Jeff has not only explained it but Gamespot and Giant Bomb are now working together right?
Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#12 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts
[QUOTE="Cobra_nVidia"]

biggest_loser
You realise that the community got that totally wrong and that Jeff has not only explained it but Gamespot and Giant Bomb are now working together right?

Do you have any links to back up your claim that Gerstmann was not fired by his bosses due to Publisher pressure?
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

Maybe it's just better this way. The game is a total mess. The AI is completely broken and the campaign has been dumbed down beyond belief. One slider to rule them all!!! This game is a joke and a huge insult to every TW fan. Rome II is an arcade game, not a grand strategy. CA f-ed up big time.

Rome Total Warning: Avoid at any cost

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="Cobra_nVidia"]

biggest_loser

They already explained it and it was exactly what the community speculated...

What the hell are you on about?

You've been on this forum this long and you don't even understand Gerstmanngate?

The issue, Gerstmann claimed in a streaming interview, was that a new management team inexperienced in dealing with editorial groups, had come to power at Gamespot and overreacted to what Gerstmann describes as "publisher push-back." According to his recollection, Eidos threatened to pull ad revenue from Gamespot as a result of his review, and though this kind of thing is relatively common in games journalism, the nascent management team panicked and decided that Gerstmann was unreliable. "They felt they couldn't trust me in the role," Gerstmann said. "We did what an editorial team does. We did what we were supposed to be doing. We reviewed games, we instructed people about the quality of games, and we were completely honest," he added. "This management team buckled when faced with having a lot of ad dollars walk out the door."

Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116360-Jeff-Gerstmann-Explains-His-Departure-From-Gamespot#H6j6w2TXmVMqyJYx.99

Ad dollars help determine reviews in review publications. That's just how it is.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#15 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

"Ad dollars help determine reviews in review publications. That's just how it is."

If that were the case then why is the very same review still up on the site?

That old management is now gone and Jeff is back working in partnership with Gamespot again: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GagFPnSG0j4

Its time to move on and stop with the conspiracies. 

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

"Ad dollars help determine reviews in review publications. That's just how it is."

If that were the case then why is the very same review still up on the site?

That old management is now gone and Jeff is back working in partnership with Gamespot again: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GagFPnSG0j4

Its time to move on and stop with the conspiracies. 

biggest_loser

Videogame publications using videogames for ad revenue isn't a conspiracy, it's just a business and in plain sight for all to see. You do know how businesses work, right? They have to make a living, and they're not going to do it by handing out low reviews to their highest-paying ad revenues. Obviously the management made a huge mistake by creating this fiasco in the first place, which is likely why they aren't holding the same positions now. They were creating an exaggerated move in positions that require more subtle reactions. I think making money is a little more important to Gamespot than what you think is integrity in gaming journalism...

Furthermore, Giantbomb merging with Gamespot doesn't take back what happened and isn't even relevant. Jeff has been around at Gamespot for a long time, there's no reason for him to be dodgy once the previous management was gone. Also, I will say that things are changing. Gamespot doesn't make money from videogames advertisements as directly as they had used to. They seem to make most of their money from broad advertising now. So they aren't as reliant on those full front-page advertisements as they used to be.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#17 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58961 Posts

They don't want to waste resouces setting up a studio and editing clips together for pc games.

Only reason I can think of. Highly disrespectful. if it was Call Of Duty, you bets they'd do it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46288 Posts

Without all the technical problems this game would've been a 9 for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Who the fvck cares? Are you too lazy to read it, or something?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58961 Posts

Who the fvck cares? Are you too lazy to read it, or something?

airshocker

Alot of people are. Alot of people (millions) visit gamespot and purely click video reviews. When Total War doesn't get one, it lowers it's self awareness for people who might say "oh, this looks cool". It's selective video reviews and thus, currupt video reviews.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="Cobra_nVidia"]

Cobra_nVidia

Do you have any links to back up your claim that Gerstmann was not fired by his bosses due to Publisher pressure?

He was, but Gerstmann said that those sorts of unexperienced people do not work at gamespot any more.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="Cobra_nVidia"]

Cobra_nVidia

I'm sure Gerstmann said he was fired by his bosses due to the Publisher. I'm certain there is a Q&A video that was created once Giant Bomb & Gamespot joined.